Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fire wall in loft missing

Hi all,

Buying a house. Mortgage offer has come through and has one condition
listed:

"Our Solicitor must obtain, and place with the Title Deeds, an
undertaking that the following works will be completed within
six months from the date of the Mortgage Deed: Complete fire
break wall repair. "

Doesn't sound too bad...

From what the surveyor has said (I've not got the report yet) there is a
small part of the wall missing (never built). Is this a case of building
a lightweight concrete block wall up to roof level? I think it's only
a metre or so long at one end, so tapers to nothing at the eaves.

Does it need sealing in anyway to the roof? Can't see how that would work,
and there doesn't seem to be any sealing for the rest of it.

Internet is inclusive. Survey report might have more info I guess, but
I'm not holding my breath!

Any advice?

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 May 2019 09:41:23 UTC+1, Darren Chapman wrote:
From what the surveyor has said (I've not got the report yet) there is a
small part of the wall missing (never built). Is this a case of building
a lightweight concrete block wall up to roof level? I think it's only
a metre or so long at one end, so tapers to nothing at the eaves.

Block (laid flat, rather than two leaves) will be easier to do from one side only, or can be done in stud and plasterboard - possibly double-clad each side.

Does it need sealing in anyway to the roof? Can't see how that would work,
and there doesn't seem to be any sealing for the rest of it.

Fire-rated intumescent foam.

Internet is inclusive. Survey report might have more info I guess, but
I'm not holding my breath!
Any advice?

Building Regs may apply if it's forming a new fire barrier, so factor in the cost and time of going through that process. Also Party Wall Act :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Darren Chapman
scribeth thus

Hi all,

Buying a house. Mortgage offer has come through and has one condition
listed:

"Our Solicitor must obtain, and place with the Title Deeds, an
undertaking that the following works will be completed within
six months from the date of the Mortgage Deed: Complete fire
break wall repair. "

Doesn't sound too bad...

From what the surveyor has said (I've not got the report yet) there is a
small part of the wall missing (never built). Is this a case of building
a lightweight concrete block wall up to roof level? I think it's only
a metre or so long at one end, so tapers to nothing at the eaves.

Does it need sealing in anyway to the roof? Can't see how that would work,
and there doesn't seem to be any sealing for the rest of it.

Internet is inclusive. Survey report might have more info I guess, but
I'm not holding my breath!

Any advice?

Darren

We had to have that done on an old terrace house you could go into your
loft and get into anyone else's in that block you could get down into
their place and rob 'em!

So best not to let a fire do the same, it took a couple of blokes around
a sat morning and they were all done around 2 ish. Didn't cost that much
either around 8 years odd ago now ...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Darren Chapman
scribeth thus

Hi all,

Buying a house. Mortgage offer has come through and has one condition
listed:

"Our Solicitor must obtain, and place with the Title Deeds, an
undertaking that the following works will be completed within
six months from the date of the Mortgage Deed: Complete fire
break wall repair. "

Doesn't sound too bad...

[[snip]]

We had to have that done on an old terrace house you could go into your
loft and get into anyone else's in that block you could get down into
their place and rob 'em!

It's a bit less worrying than that, as it's from a closed bit of their roof
space. They could cut a hole in their bathroom ceiling and come over I guess
but I'm not overly concerned about that just now

So best not to let a fire do the same, it took a couple of blokes around
a sat morning and they were all done around 2 ish. Didn't cost that much
either around 8 years odd ago now ...

Ok, that's good to know. Do you know if it was "sealed" - thinking back to
all my previous places they have had walls, but not airtight sealed with
foam or anything. I've no idea if that's normal, but given the inspection
that found this was "a bloke up a ladder 10m away with a torch peering" it
doesn't feel like that level of detail was cared about...

If it can be done from my side only, and not invoke party wall issues that
would also be grand. Neighbour is away for many many months at a time in
the middle east (not seen him since Oct for example!) so that might be
painful :-/

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2019 11:24, Darren Chapman wrote:

If it can be done from my side only, and not invoke party wall issues that
would also be grand. Neighbour is away for many many months at a time in
the middle east (not seen him since Oct for example!) so that might be
painful :-/

What matters is not whether it can be done from your side but where you
are building: if you are building up the party wall then the Act is
engaged. See the booklet on the gov.uk site I gave a link to in my
earlier post.

I suggest you try to get an email address for the neighbour. (An email
"signature" should be OK in my opinion for what very little that's worth.)

It would of course be very naughty indeed to go ahead without. But FYI
there are no actual penalties for not complying with the Act...

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
George Miles wrote:
I would talk to your council building control about it, pay their fee,
get their advice, and make friends with them

I thought that, but the surveyor said they wouldn't be interested as it
was only a tiny bit of wall missing, and it wasn't a significant change

*shrugs*

It all seems a little vague! Maybe I'll just get a builder round to see
what they think and quote and let them get on with it :-(

Any one know a builder in the folkestone area who would be interested in
a fairly crap little job? ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

do it yourself-
i'd use heavy concrete blocks or bricks
and readymix mortar if its a little job

[g]

ps thinking of putting a smoke alarm in my loft
as it joins to the neighbours
with 2 man size holes!

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 12:23:24 PM UTC+1, Darren Chapman wrote:
In article ,
George Miles wrote:
I would talk to your council building control about it, pay their fee,
get their advice, and make friends with them

I thought that, but the surveyor said they wouldn't be interested as it
was only a tiny bit of wall missing, and it wasn't a significant change

*shrugs*

It all seems a little vague! Maybe I'll just get a builder round to see
what they think and quote and let them get on with it :-(

Any one know a builder in the folkestone area who would be interested in
a fairly crap little job? ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2019 12:23, Darren Chapman wrote:
In article ,
George Miles wrote:
I would talk to your council building control about it, pay their fee,
get their advice, and make friends with them

I thought that, but the surveyor said they wouldn't be interested as it
was only a tiny bit of wall missing, and it wasn't a significant change

*shrugs*

It all seems a little vague! Maybe I'll just get a builder round to see
what they think and quote and let them get on with it :-(

Any one know a builder in the folkestone area who would be interested in
a fairly crap little job? ;-)

Apologies for stating the obvious but much depends on the state of the
neighbour's ceiling. Eg if you are looking at old lath and plaster in a
state where one dropped brick would fill his bath it may call for some
care. I'd wondered about fitting a plasterboard "screen" and then
building the blocks flush to that.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Darren Chapman" wrote in message

Hi all,

Buying a house. Mortgage offer has come through and has one condition
listed:

"Our Solicitor must obtain, and place with the Title Deeds, an
undertaking that the following works will be completed within
six months from the date of the Mortgage Deed: Complete fire
break wall repair. "

Doesn't sound too bad...

From what the surveyor has said (I've not got the report yet) there is a
small part of the wall missing (never built). Is this a case of building
a lightweight concrete block wall up to roof level? I think it's only
a metre or so long at one end, so tapers to nothing at the eaves.

Does it need sealing in anyway to the roof? Can't see how that would work,
and there doesn't seem to be any sealing for the rest of it.

Internet is inclusive. Survey report might have more info I guess, but
I'm not holding my breath!

Any advice?

Darren

bugger wet trades in the loft....metal stud and fireline board and bags of
intumescent material and intumescent foam sealing gaps .....stuff building
standards approval .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:

Apologies for stating the obvious but much depends on the state of the
neighbour's ceiling. Eg if you are looking at old lath and plaster in a
state where one dropped brick would fill his bath it may call for some
care. I'd wondered about fitting a plasterboard "screen" and then
building the blocks flush to that.

It's likely crap lath and plaster - cottage is from 1890 and mine (or soon
to be mine hopefully!) are.

Got a couple of pics now of the issue:

https://tinyurl.com/wallinplace

Thats the front, where it's ok.

https://tinyurl.com/missingwall

shows the bit that's missing annoyingly :-/

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or house loads of asylum seekers up there I guess!
However its not just fire is it, water leaks vermin and all of that can
simply move about if there is no barriers.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Darren Chapman
scribeth thus

Hi all,

Buying a house. Mortgage offer has come through and has one condition
listed:

"Our Solicitor must obtain, and place with the Title Deeds, an
undertaking that the following works will be completed within
six months from the date of the Mortgage Deed: Complete fire
break wall repair. "

Doesn't sound too bad...

From what the surveyor has said (I've not got the report yet) there is a
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 May 2019 09:41:23 UTC+1, Darren Chapman wrote:
Hi all,

Buying a house. Mortgage offer has come through and has one condition
listed:

"Our Solicitor must obtain, and place with the Title Deeds, an
undertaking that the following works will be completed within
six months from the date of the Mortgage Deed: Complete fire
break wall repair. "

Doesn't sound too bad...

From what the surveyor has said (I've not got the report yet) there is a
small part of the wall missing (never built). Is this a case of building
a lightweight concrete block wall up to roof level? I think it's only
a metre or so long at one end, so tapers to nothing at the eaves.

Does it need sealing in anyway to the roof? Can't see how that would work,
and there doesn't seem to be any sealing for the rest of it.

Internet is inclusive. Survey report might have more info I guess, but
I'm not holding my breath!

Any advice?

Darren

Yes the party wall etc act applies. Yes it's just a simple block wall. The point is to stop spread of fire. Lots of such walls have the top gaps cement mortared. If your neighbour doesn't comply & agree you'll need to pay for their solicitor re this job. I daresay a lot of people would do it without even asking, but the PWA forbids that. Read the simple govt guidance on the PWA.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

Apologies for stating the obvious but much depends on the state of the
neighbour's ceiling. Eg if you are looking at old lath and plaster in a
state where one dropped brick would fill his bath it may call for some
care. I'd wondered about fitting a plasterboard "screen" and then
building the blocks flush to that.

It's likely crap lath and plaster - cottage is from 1890 and mine (or soon
to be mine hopefully!) are.

Got a couple of pics now of the issue:

https://tinyurl.com/wallinplace

Thats the front, where it's ok.

https://tinyurl.com/missingwall

shows the bit that's missing annoyingly :-/

Darren

you are lucky it's a purlin roof or you wouldn't have a wall at all
......just a chimney breast or two ....tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2019 15:19, Darren Chapman wrote:

Got a couple of pics now of the issue:

https://tinyurl.com/wallinplace

Thats the front, where it's ok.

https://tinyurl.com/missingwall

shows the bit that's missing annoyingly :-/

It looks as if you have a outgoing roof apex to the right so that wall
might have to reach some distance with possibly not much load support
beneath.

Perhaps a firewall can be made of plasterboard?

https://www.british-gypsum.com/white...tions/firewall

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2019 11:26, Robin wrote:
On 17/05/2019 10:18, wrote:
On Friday, 17 May 2019 09:41:23 UTC+1, Darren ChapmanÂ* wrote:
Â*From what the surveyor has said (I've not got the report yet) there
is a
[...]

+1

And while in principle you could ask neighbour to share the cost in
practice likely not worth it - the more so as it'll be /much/ cheaper
for you if neighbour signs off Party Wall Act without surveyors on a
"DIY agreement" - see
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/party-wall-etc-act-1996-guidance for
sample letters

The neighbour might well chip in and assist if he is asked if he's told
his insurer's of this lack of fire-break? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Robin wrote:

Apologies for stating the obvious but much depends on the state of the
neighbour's ceiling. Eg if you are looking at old lath and plaster in a
state where one dropped brick would fill his bath it may call for some
care. I'd wondered about fitting a plasterboard "screen" and then
building the blocks flush to that.

It's likely crap lath and plaster - cottage is from 1890 and mine (or soon
to be mine hopefully!) are.

Got a couple of pics now of the issue:

https://tinyurl.com/wallinplace

Thats the front, where it's ok.

https://tinyurl.com/missingwall

shows the bit that's missing annoyingly :-/

I have something very like that in my c1900 semi. Was filled up with
breeze blocks my surveyor described it as 'very recent'[*] but I suspect
it could have been done before the previous owners moved in 30 years ago.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ubb...ew?usp=sharing

[*] The party wall is built in brick and at the top of some of the
walling infill with quilt has been added to
improve fire resistance and sound insulation. At the rear end there is some modern blockwork which looks
very recent and seems satisfactory.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

It looks as if you have a outgoing roof apex to the right so that wall
might have to reach some distance with possibly not much load support
beneath.

Hmm. Well spotted. I'd not even noticed that. Yes, now I think about it,
you are right. The bathroom (above the kitchen) is out the back there
so that makes sense.

Bugger, that makes it quite a bit bigger job than I thought. Ho hum.
Maybe I'll not be replacing the boiler then :-(

Guess I'll need to get some prices and try to find the neighbour, but
he is out of the country and I've no idea how to get in touch! This
is going to be quite a bit more expensive than I'd hoped :-(

Perhaps a firewall can be made of plasterboard?

https://www.british-gypsum.com/white...tions/firewall

I think there is a wall along there that should be ok, but I don't know
that for sure - as you say, it's not holding up the roof! So yeah,
plasterboard might be an option. Tiny loft hatch though, so that won't
help.

Lightweight concrete blocks have also been suggested - that sounds
easier to get up there, and to handle.

So, anyone know a builder in Folkestone area who might be interested?
At least now it's a bigger job there might be more chance of someone
wanting the work!

Cheers,

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:

Yes the party wall etc act applies. Yes it's just a simple block
wall. The point is to stop spread of fire. Lots of such walls have
the top gaps cement mortared. If your neighbour doesn't comply &
agree you'll need to pay for their solicitor re this job. I daresay
a lot of people would do it without even asking, but the PWA
forbids that. Read the simple govt guidance on the PWA.

Ok, ta for that. Looking at it, the wall required is a bigger than
I first thought to its more of a job than I realised. Not something
I'll be diying I suspect :-(

PWA looks simple enough (if they agree!). Complication is that the owner
of the other property is hardly ever in the country, and I can't find
any details on how to contact him. Last seen in Oct, and believed to
be working in Iran as ex mil security for an oil company.

That's all I know :-(

Sounds like if I can't get in touch, than I have to appoint two
surveyors - one for me, one for them so oversee the work. Although
how that would work given there is no access to next door I'm not
sure :-(

Gah, thought this house purchase was going too well. hrmm.

Cheers,

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Darren Chapman
scribeth thus
In article ,
wrote:

[...]

When we did the one i referred to we didn't bother asking the neighbours
it could all and was all done from our side. It was a bit tight to get
it all in there but a couple of young fit men did it.

In answer to the previous enquiry I don't recall them putting anything
specialist in they just used mortar to seal it.

I do remember a more industrial building that we split in half last year
using sheets of plasterboard and IIRC a light steel pressed sort of
joist type frame and they did use a gun applied mastic sealant on that
one..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 18 May 2019 14:51:15 UTC+1, Darren Chapman wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

[...]

Neighbours normally don't agree to your works, if they do they have to pay their share and for their solicitor.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

[...]

IME

(a) neighbours often do agree to Party Wall Act works - with or without
a surveyor;
(b) if they agree they don't /have/ to pay anything if they don't want
to - even if they may gain some benefit from the work; and
(c) PWA 'surveyors'[1] are usually chartered surveyors, structural
engineers, architects or others with construction qualifications (and
insurance to match). Some lawyers specialise in PWA work but I've yet
to come across one who dons a hard hat and boots.

[1] the Act requires no qualification: a surveyor is just " any person
not being a party to the matter appointed or selected under section 10
to determine disputes in accordance with the procedures set out in this
Act."

Of course it may be they may do things differently where you are.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2019 18:09, Robin wrote:
On 18/05/2019 17:44, wrote:
On Saturday, 18 May 2019 14:51:15 UTC+1, Darren ChapmanÂ* wrote:
In article ,
Â* tabbypurr wrote:

[...]

insurance to match).Â* Some lawyers specialise in PWA work but I've yet
to come across one who dons a hard hat and boots.

Bugger, I forgot

(d) if PWA surveyors are appointed the person who wants the work done
must pay for them all - which in worst case is 3 (own, neighbour's and
a third surveyor who decides iof the first 2 can't agree). The
neighbours pay nothing.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:

Neighbours normally don't agree to your works, if they do they have
to pay their share and for their solicitor.

Not expecting him to pay tbh. I need to sort this (and having seen it,
I want to!) but I also don't really want to **** off my new neighbour
if I can help it, hence why I'd like to get his go ahead is possible.

Cheers,

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
On 18/05/2019 15:30, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 18 May 2019 13:51:13 -0000 (UTC), (Darren
Chapman) wrote:
Complication is that the owner
of the other property is hardly ever in the country, and I can't find
any details on how to contact him. Last seen in Oct, and believed to
be working in Iran as ex mil security for an oil company.

Have you written to him - by post? Would be careless of him to have no
way to receive things such as a summons for speeding while away.

No, not yet. I don't own the house yet - just got the mortgage offer
and the survey sorted, and this has raised this issue.

I know he is away most of the time as I'm currently the tennant in the
place - my landlord is selling up. He has agreed a decent price and
has agreed not to put the place on the market and give me notice, but
he isn't willing to pay any more (I'm happy with this, getting it for a
decent price anyway).

If he's away and not often home, ask yourself how often he's likely to
go up into his loft space, is he aware of the absence of a firewall,
and would he or anyone else notice if one suddenly appeared in his
absence.

One buggeration is that it's always a good idea as a part of any work on
a party wall to get photos of the neighbour's property before starting
so you have a record of pre-existing cracks etc.

Yes, I've considered just doing it. When I thought it was a small
area missing I was up for that, and would probably do it myself. Now
it's clear that it's more than that I think I'll need to get someone
in. I can do a bit in the loft, but that level of building work
in a hot loft isn't going to work with my asthma :-(

Will he ever notice if I just do it? No idea. Would he care? Probably
not. I'm putting all my cash into this (wasn't planning on buying just
yet, but couldn't pass up the chance!) so I'd rather not end up in a
drawn out legal battle. Also, would quite like to get on with him the
few days a year he is around!

Cheers,

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:

When we did the one i referred to we didn't bother asking the neighbours
it could all and was all done from our side. It was a bit tight to get
it all in there but a couple of young fit men did it.

yeah, that's tempting, and would be a lot easier given his unknown
whereabouts!

Feels wrong though, and possibly risky :-(

In answer to the previous enquiry I don't recall them putting anything
specialist in they just used mortar to seal it.

Ok, that's good to know. cheers,

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2019 14:29, Darren Chapman wrote:
In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

[...]

Putting in a larger loft hatch isn't abig job. Even easier if you use
one of the pre-made ones.

Lightweight concrete blocks have also been suggested - that sounds
easier to get up there, and to handle.

That'd probably be what I'd look at. You don't need any structural
strength, just something to stop fire spreading easily. Single skin
would probably be all you need too, but I don't know what the
regulations actually require.

SteveW