Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Nuisance calls

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 16/05/2019 08:38, alan_m wrote:
On 16/05/2019 06:22, billj wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
Chris Hogg wrote:
On 15 May 2019 06:23:54 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:
My elderly neighbour was complaining about nuisance calls. I said
I'd
register them with the Telephone Preference Service, but I find
they're already registered. I presume this means that the bulk of
their nuisance calls are coming from overseas, although I'm also
with
the TPI and get very few, just the occasional broadband cut-off
scam,
as do my neighbours.

Is there an alternative or addition to the TPS that also blocks
overseas nuisance calls?

TPS is toothless. Get a call blocking phone, BT 4600 for example.

Tim+

Hmm...thanks. They did say they'd got a phone that was supposed to
stop nuisance calls, but that it didn't seem to be working. I suspect
they don't understand how to use or set it up. I'll investigate
further.

You need to set up a white list and shunt all unknown callers to the
answerphone. That way one doesnt miss anything really important. In
my
experience nuisance callers (except automated machines) never bother
leaving messages.

Trouble is that by the time you get around to checking the
answerphone, it may well be too late and the individual
you care about may be dead.

My call blocking phone has an annoying beep every 15/30 seconds if there
is a answerphone message that hasn't been played.

My phone is set for call monitoring so I can hear what is being recorded
on the answerphone so I can, if I wish, pick up the phone to speak to the
caller directly rather than let them finish on the answerphone

I agree with other posters - 99% cold callers hang up on getting the
outgoing answerphone message and don't leave any message on the
answerphone.

Answerphones can cause their own problems.

We received a couple of calls while we were out, but no message was left.
The next day a message was left. The person calling had been reluctant to
leave a message telling us that a relative had died and hung on to try and
talk to use directly, but eventually decided that they had to leave one.
That meant we didn't find out about the death until 17:30 on Friday
evening and needed to be in Sligo by 11:15 on Saturday morning! The last
flight that night was 20:30 and we couldn't get organised, get our
children to my parents, get to the airport and through security in time
and the earliest the next morning was too late for us to pick up a hire
car and get right across Ireland. In the end we had to egt organised,
leave at 22:00, drive to Holyhead, cross to Dublin, drive to Sligo
(arriving with 15 minutes to spare), attend the funeral service, the
burial and the reception afterwards, then immediately leave for Belfast,
cross to Stranraer and drive back to Manchester.

If we hadn't had an answerphone, they'd likely have asked a family member
and got one of our mobile numbers, getting the info to us earlier.

Thats one of the advantages of using a mobile phone for everything,
you can see the number that called you with a missed call and call
them back and with modern unlimited calls and texts and MMSs
to any landline or mobile in the country, there is no reason not
to call them back in case it was important and they chose not
to leave a message for whatever reason.

I dont get any spam calls on my mobile currently. Remains
to be seen how that will change over time but the mobile
has good spam blocking capability in various ways too
and allows you to flag particular numbers that you allow
to call you twice in a row and have the phone ring even
if you have the phone set to do not disturb as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 May 2019 05:55:56 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the self-opinionated, self-important senile asshole's latest
bull****

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2019 20:55, Rod Speed wrote:

there is no reason not
to call them back in case it was important and they chose not
to leave a message for whatever reason.

Except some of the numbers presented for a possible call back are
premium rate numbers which may not be covered in your mobile calling plan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 16/05/2019 20:55, Rod Speed wrote:

there is no reason not
to call them back in case it was important and they chose not
to leave a message for whatever reason.

Except some of the numbers presented for a possible call back are premium
rate numbers which may not be covered in your mobile calling plan.

You are free to not call those back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 May 2019 08:19:59 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

You are free to not call those back.

You are free to jump back into the pouch of your roo you escaped from, you
disgusting senile Ozzie cretin!

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2019 22:40, alan_m wrote:
On 16/05/2019 20:55, Rod Speed wrote:

there is no reason not
to call them back in case it was important and they chose not
to leave a message for whatever reason.

Except some of the numbers presented for a possible call back are
premium rate numbers which may not be covered in your mobile calling plan.

Although no help with expensive 09x numbers you can often find standard
geographic landline equivalents for 084x and 087x numbers at
https://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php