Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Orientation of bib taps?

Just to be clear, I'm talking about combining these two parts:

Compression Wallplate Elbow 15mm x 1/2"
https://www.toolstation.com/compression-wallplate-elbow/p74070

Hose Union Bib Tap with Double Check Valve 1/2" DZR
https://www.toolstation.com/hose-union-bib-tap-with-double-check-valve/p54792

I was under the impression that if you install the elbow so that
supply pipe is coming straight down to it, the tap should screw all
the way into it & end up pointing down. (I'm pretty sure that's what
I did with the old ones, which were removed as part of a kitchen
renovation, so I've installed new ones in a different place outside.)

In practice, however, I installed two of these the same way but they
ended up pointing in slightly different directions, neither straight
down. I ended up packing a couple of fibre washers in each elbow
until I got the right direction. What am I missing?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Nothing - it is usual
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk Wrote in message:
[...]

Ptfe tape?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-05-16, Jim K.. wrote:

Adam Funk Wrote in message:
[...]

I tried it with and without PTFE tape on the threads. Both ways, the
tap went in farther than I expected, ending up pointing down and left
rather than just down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-05-16, DerbyBorn wrote:

. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Nothing - it is usual

So experimenting with different combinations of fibre washers until
the result is pointing the right way is really how you have to do
this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk wrote:
[...]

Your expectations of accurate threading of both parts is way too high. ;-)

I think this is probably a case for old fashioned hemp and some sort of
plumbers sealing compound. Fiddle with both until youve got it right.

PTFE tape will work if you use enough but its really too slippery and can
squidge out as you tighten things up.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 2019-05-16, Jim K.. wrote:

Adam Funk Wrote in message:
[...]

I believe Jim meant make your own washer with ptfe, not wrap it around
the threads.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2019 17:24, Adam Funk wrote:
[...]

Wrap some hemp and plumbers mate around the threads, then you'll find
that the thread tightens earlier and you can set it in any position
without leaks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.toolstation.com/hose-uni...ble-check-valv
[...]

Or you can wind the PTFE tap on the threads progressively thicker near
the back of the fitting until the threads jam at the point you want them
to.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-05-16, Jim K.. wrote:

Adam Funk Wrote in message:
[...]

Near enough yes, wind on threads but multiple winds near to tap
end of thread, makes a custom PTFE washer in effect..
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 16/05/2019 19:30, Roger Hayter wrote:
..

Or you can wind the PTFE tap on the threads progressively thicker near
the back of the fitting until the threads jam at the point you want them
to.

That's the theory.

PTFE of course is like a woman. Smooth to the touch and easily wrapped
around your fingers. But it will not actually do what you want it to do.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 2019-05-16, DerbyBorn wrote:

. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Nothing - it is usual

So experimenting with different combinations of fibre washers until
the result is pointing the right way is really how you have to do
this?

Loctite 55 Pipe Sealing Cord
a modern PTFE alternative to old style hemp and plumbers mait.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2019 17:51, Jim K.. wrote:
Adam Funk Wrote in message:
[...]

I find that hemp is better for this sort of thing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

.

Or you can wind the PTFE tap on the threads progressively thicker near
the back of the fitting until the threads jam at the point you want them
to.

That's the theory.

PTFE of course is like a woman. Smooth to the touch and easily wrapped
around your fingers. But it will not actually do what you want it to do.

IME it works alright on brass. But Fernox LS-X will probably work on
1/2" BSP if you let it set before pressurising it.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 May 2019 17:30:06 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:
[...]

Had this with a pair of Bristan 1901 bib taps and upstands.
One was perfect; the other was 150 deg. out. I had nothing that would
correct the bad one, so I swapped them over and found that nylon washers
just did the job and made them both the same. Needed a bit more tape in on
of them but it's not a noticeable difference.
I was lucky to have the washers - in an Aldidl kit, IIRC.

Given the total price of the fittings, they should be correct to start with.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.toolstation.com/hose-uni...le-check-valve
[...]

It is technically impractical with ordinary manufacturing to make the
two brass parts and a (variable) standard washer do up to a precise
predicted angle. And it is not what is expected by plumbers. Not
least because the supply pipe can come from any quadrant (or any
intervening angle if one is untidy enough).

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

It always happens. Last time, I used a wall plate with a soldered
connection going straight out of the back, through the wall. It not only
minimised the amount of pipework exposed to outdoor temperatures, it
also allowed me to position the fixing screws after finding out how the
tap screwed onto to the plate.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk wrote:
[...]

Thanks (to everyone else too) for the tips. I'll keep fiddling with
washers, hemp, and so on but...

Given the total price of the fittings, they should be correct to start with.

....there ought to be a better way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-05-16, DerbyBorn wrote:

. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Nothing - it is usual

So experimenting with different combinations of fibre washers until
the result is pointing the right way is really how you have to do
this?

Loctite 55 Pipe Sealing Cord
a modern PTFE alternative to old style hemp and plumbers mait.

Looks interesting, thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-05-16, Roger Hayter wrote:

ARW wrote:

On 16/05/2019 19:30, Roger Hayter wrote:
.

Or you can wind the PTFE tap on the threads progressively thicker near
the back of the fitting until the threads jam at the point you want them
to.

That's the theory.

PTFE of course is like a woman. Smooth to the touch and easily wrapped
around your fingers. But it will not actually do what you want it to do.

IME it works alright on brass. But Fernox LS-X will probably work on
1/2" BSP if you let it set before pressurising it.

Also interesting, thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-05-16, Roger Hayter wrote:

ARW wrote:

On 16/05/2019 19:30, Roger Hayter wrote:
.

Or you can wind the PTFE tap on the threads progressively thicker near
the back of the fitting until the threads jam at the point you want them
to.

That's the theory.

PTFE of course is like a woman. Smooth to the touch and easily wrapped
around your fingers. But it will not actually do what you want it to do.

IME it works alright on brass. But Fernox LS-X will probably work on
1/2" BSP if you let it set before pressurising it.

From googling around, I get the impression I can just smear that on
the threads, turn the tap all the way in, then back it off until it's
pointing just the way it want? If so, that would be perfect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If it worked in the past, it was pure coincidence. You can have the
supply pipe coming in at any angle, so to have something which only
worked at one angle would be silly. The threads are tapered, and thus
seal on the threads rather than bottoming against a flange - so fibre
washers are no good. You just need sufficient packing round the thread
to make it go tight at the desired orientation. As others have said,
hemp plus Boss White or whatever is far better than PTFE tape for this.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-05-16, Roger Hayter wrote:

ARW wrote:

On 16/05/2019 19:30, Roger Hayter wrote:
.

Or you can wind the PTFE tap on the threads progressively thicker near
the back of the fitting until the threads jam at the point you want them
to.

That's the theory.

PTFE of course is like a woman. Smooth to the touch and easily wrapped
around your fingers. But it will not actually do what you want it to do.

IME it works alright on brass. But Fernox LS-X will probably work on
1/2" BSP if you let it set before pressurising it.

From googling around, I get the impression I can just smear that on
the threads, turn the tap all the way in, then back it off until it's
pointing just the way it want? If so, that would be perfect.

Bib taps usually have parallel threads the should be sealed with a
washer between the shoulders and not by the threads.
You just need a washer of the right thickness to compress enough when
the tap is in the right place.
Rubber washers are probably the easiest but I use fibre washers as
that's what I have.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2019 13:55, Roger Mills wrote:
On 16/05/2019 17:24, Adam Funk wrote:
Just to be clear, I'm talking about combining these two parts:

Compression Wallplate Elbow 15mm x 1/2"
https://www.toolstation.com/compression-wallplate-elbow/p74070

Hose Union Bib Tap with Double Check Valve 1/2" DZR
https://www.toolstation.com/hose-union-bib-tap-with-double-check-valve/p54792

I was under the impression that if you install the elbow so that
supply pipe is coming straight down to it, the tap should screw all
the way into it&Â* end up pointing down.Â* (I'm pretty sure that's what
I did with the old ones, which were removed as part of a kitchen
renovation, so I've installed new ones in a different place outside.)

In practice, however, I installed two of these the same way but they
ended up pointing in slightly different directions, neither straight
down.Â* I ended up packing a couple of fibre washers in each elbow
until I got the right direction.Â* What am I missing?

Thanks.

If it worked in the past, it was pure coincidence. You can have the
supply pipe coming in at any angle, so to have something which only
worked at one angle would be silly. The threads are tapered, and thus
seal on the threads rather than bottoming against a flange - so fibre
washers are no good. You just need sufficient packing round the thread
to make it go tight at the desired orientation. As others have said,
hemp plus Boss White or whatever is far better than PTFE tape for this.

All the bib taps I have used have parallel threads.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2019 17:24, Adam Funk wrote:

In practice, however, I installed two of these the same way but they
ended up pointing in slightly different directions, neither straight
down. I ended up packing a couple of fibre washers in each elbow
until I got the right direction. What am I missing?

IME, if they line up perfectly its just luck. Its easier to assume they
won't, and make sure you include enough sealing / locking material to do
the job. These days that tends to be PTFE tape or cord. (hemp etc is
banned on potable water supplies).

With tape you need to use *lots* (15 to 20 turns) of it winding on a few
turns at the end of the threads and then building up thickness toward
the back where the flange on the tap is. You can introduce a twist or
fold in the tape as you apply it to make it narrower, and build depth
more rapidly.

You can then screw it into the socket until the rotation feels stiff
enough to fix it in place. Then finally rotate however much additional
turn is required to get the required orientation.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 May 2019 09:07:52 +0100, Roger Hayter wrote:

Had this with a pair of Bristan 1901 bib taps and upstands.
One was perfect; the other was 150 deg. out. I had nothing that would
correct the bad one, so I swapped them over and found that nylon washers
just did the job and made them both the same. Needed a bit more tape in on
of them but it's not a noticeable difference.
I was lucky to have the washers - in an Aldidl kit, IIRC.

Given the total price of the fittings, they should be correct to start with.

It is technically impractical with ordinary manufacturing to make the
two brass parts and a (variable) standard washer do up to a precise
predicted angle. And it is not what is expected by plumbers. Not
least because the supply pipe can come from any quadrant (or any
intervening angle if one is untidy enough).

Agreed, in most cases, but _upstands_ tend to be from below. Making the taps
to fit upstands would at least get rid of one aspect and be no worse for the
others.
The worst case would be if the threads were intended to match but the tap
wouldn't quite tighten to upright - need some ingenuity to solve that one!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

[...]

Me too. But 1/2' is small enough to be able to seal parallel threads
pretty well, and, in the absence of a suitable washer, a wodge of PTFE
tape squeezed out at the end plus enough on the threads to make it stff
has always worked for me. If it leaks at first try it will be a slow
leak, and you can re do it until it gets tight at the right point and
doesn't leak. Most things can go wrong in my hands, but I've usually
found it quite easy, reassured by the fact tha a slight leak is not
usually a disaster for most bib tap applications. Sealing the threads
with PTFE or one of the other suggestions at least ensures that anly
leak will be very small, and makes accidentally unscrewing it less
likely.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Your expectations of accurate threading of both parts is way too high.

;-)

I wouldn't have like to be given that task as a toolmaker!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-05-17, Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

Well, it's been 15--20 years since I installed the ones I'm replacing,
& I'm just about convinced that I remembered the installation wrong!
I ended up buying new wallplates as well as taps because one of the
taps would not come out of the plate in a non-destructive manner.

supply pipe coming in at any angle, so to have something which only
worked at one angle would be silly. The threads are tapered, and thus
seal on the threads rather than bottoming against a flange - so fibre
washers are no good. You just need sufficient packing round the thread
to make it go tight at the desired orientation. As others have said,
hemp plus Boss White or whatever is far better than PTFE tape for this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-05-17, John Rumm wrote:

On 16/05/2019 17:24, Adam Funk wrote:

In practice, however, I installed two of these the same way but they
ended up pointing in slightly different directions, neither straight
down. I ended up packing a couple of fibre washers in each elbow
until I got the right direction. What am I missing?

IME, if they line up perfectly its just luck. Its easier to assume they
won't, and make sure you include enough sealing / locking material to do
the job. These days that tends to be PTFE tape or cord. (hemp etc is
banned on potable water supplies).

On further reflection, I might have used hemp on the old ones. I did
find (& throw away) some mouldy plumbing hemp in the cellar during a
clean-out a few years ago.

With tape you need to use *lots* (15 to 20 turns) of it winding on a few
turns at the end of the threads and then building up thickness toward
the back where the flange on the tap is. You can introduce a twist or
fold in the tape as you apply it to make it narrower, and build depth
more rapidly.

You can then screw it into the socket until the rotation feels stiff
enough to fix it in place. Then finally rotate however much additional
turn is required to get the required orientation.

Thanks.

bath taps vs. basin taps Stephen[_12_] UK diy 10 January 13th 11 12:21 AM
3/4" bib taps Fred UK diy 8 February 7th 10 06:13 PM
0-80 Thread forming taps vs. Cutting taps Bud Metalworking 23 December 9th 09 03:37 PM
Bib taps with upstands for 40mm worktop geraldthehamster UK diy 6 May 18th 08 07:55 PM
The Reason Hot Taps Are On The Left And Cold Taps Are On The Right ARWadsworth UK diy 29 November 1st 07 11:53 AM