Old May 19th 19, 11:39 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Nuisance calls

Steve Walker wrote:
But they don't like doing that, because people ring back and ask "why
did you call me" and the central reception don't have Scooby

Hard luck. At least people will know that it was the hospital or
whatever and have an idea who is likely to be calling them. Better than
people missing important calls because they won't anwer withheld numbers
or not knowing who has called and failed to leave a message.

If something is important and they can't get through to you by phone,
they'll try another method?

Which may be too slow - not much help to send a letter if they are
offering to do your operation tomorrow as there has been a cancellation.

SteveW

Old May 19th 19, 01:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
But they don't like doing that, because people ring back and ask "why
did you call me" and the central reception don't have Scooby

Hard luck. At least people will know that it was the hospital or
whatever and have an idea who is likely to be calling them. Better
than people missing important calls because they won't anwer withheld
numbers or not knowing who has called and failed to leave a message.

If something is important and they can't get through to you by phone,
they'll try another method?

Which may be too slow - not much help to send a letter if they are
offering to do your operation tomorrow as there has been a cancellation.

If I'm expecting an important call from the hospital, etc, I just switch
off the call blocker. But then they usually phone my mobile. My doctor's
surgery manages to leave a message with the call blocker on.

--
*Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old May 19th 19, 05:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
But they don't like doing that, because people ring back and ask "why
did you call me" and the central reception don't have Scooby

Hard luck. At least people will know that it was the hospital or
whatever and have an idea who is likely to be calling them. Better
than people missing important calls because they won't anwer withheld
numbers or not knowing who has called and failed to leave a message.

If something is important and they can't get through to you by phone,
they'll try another method?

Which may be too slow - not much help to send a letter if they are
offering to do your operation tomorrow as there has been a cancellation.

If I'm expecting an important call from the hospital, etc, I just switch
off the call blocker. But then they usually phone my mobile. My doctor's
surgery manages to leave a message with the call blocker on.

That's fine for an expected call. It doesn't work for an appointment
months away, that you get a call about to bring it forward due to a
cancellation and they won't leave any message due to "data protection."
The shortest notice we have had was bring an appointment for a scan
forward about a month - as long as we could get to the hospital in two
hours time!

SteveW
Old May 20th 19, 07:13 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 16/05/2019 16:12, Roger Hayter wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

, all large PABXs sold this century
could present the extension number or any other chosen number, by a
simple series of pre-dialling codes, or as a policy unless cancelled.
Informing users how to do this and convincing departments that they
should was were it fell down, in the NHS at least.

Presumably it can be set centrally? If so, simply set it up so some
selected extensions send their direct numbers, others send the number
of
their department reception and the rest send the central reception
number.

But they don't like doing that, because people ring back and ask "why did
you call me" and the central reception don't have Scooby

tim

This is exactly the sort of problem one would expect computers to solve.

The best of them have. My old electricity supplier has one that does that.
Now, when you missed the call from them wanting to get you to change
back to them again, with a new even higher discount offer that they were
too stupid to offer when you asked them what the best offer they have
is to stop you from leaving, the system uses your caller ID to direct you
to the part of their operation that called you and shows them your details.

Old May 20th 19, 10:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 May 2019 16:13:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

NOBODY gives a ****, senile Ozzie pest!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Old May 20th 19, 11:06 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
If I'm expecting an important call from the hospital, etc, I just switch
off the call blocker. But then they usually phone my mobile. My doctor's
surgery manages to leave a message with the call blocker on.

That's fine for an expected call. It doesn't work for an appointment
months away, that you get a call about to bring it forward due to a
cancellation and they won't leave any message due to "data protection."
The shortest notice we have had was bring an appointment for a scan
forward about a month - as long as we could get to the hospital in two
hours time!

And do you know you've actually missed such a call due to a call blocker?

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional