DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rotten Apple? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/635683-rotten-apple.html)

Bill[_18_] May 15th 19 08:33 PM

Rotten Apple?

Son has sent me a message to subscribe to his photo album while he is on
holiday.

I click on the subscribe link, and it wants my Apple ID. To get an Apple
ID, it appears I have to have an iSomething. I don't.

Is there any way of getting an Apple ID, or some way round this?

All the rest of the family just use Windows/Android.

--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Andy Burns[_13_] May 15th 19 08:40 PM

Rotten Apple?

https://appleid.apple.com/account#!&page=create

John Rumm May 15th 19 11:15 PM

Rotten Apple?

On 15/05/2019 20:33, Bill wrote:
Son has sent me a message to subscribe to his photo album while he is on
holiday.

I click on the subscribe link, and it wants my Apple ID. To get an Apple
ID, it appears I have to have an iSomething. I don't.

Is there any way of getting an Apple ID, or some way round this?

All the rest of the family just use Windows/Android.

You can sign up for an apple ID without needing any iTat. Handy for when
apple types send you documents in "pages" format and you need to
convert them, to something the rest of the world can make use of.

--
Cheers,

John.

Bill[_18_] May 15th 19 11:45 PM

Rotten Apple?

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Bill wrote:

Is there any way of getting an Apple ID

https://appleid.apple.com/account#!&page=create

Thanks, Andy!

But during the process, everything Windows seemed to conspire against me
with updates.
Then tea was declared.
I thought I had confirmed the Apple ID, allowed the W10, AV, Browser
and VMWare updates to happen, then it came back with a login screen.

On entering the email and password, it said that I have to use the login
with an iOS or OSx device to set it up before using the iCloud login for
Windows.

I've given up for tonight, but will start again tomorrow.
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Brian Gaff May 16th 19 07:00 AM

Rotten Apple?

I have an I device but because its got face ID you are supposed to only need
the apple ID only once, however in recent days every time I want to download
an app it wants the id and pass code, which of course I hid in a very safe
place under a file name I've forgotten. Bah humbug.
I think Apple id is only for those using apple stuff. As Itunes is on pc
though I'm not sure if you can grease their palm with silver to get access
to the Icloud.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
tairs...

The Marquis Saint Evremonde[_2_] May 16th 19 08:44 AM

Rotten Apple?

Bill posted
In message , Andy Burns
writes
Bill wrote:

Is there any way of getting an Apple ID

https://appleid.apple.com/account#!&page=create

Thanks, Andy!

But during the process, everything Windows seemed to conspire against
me with updates.
Then tea was declared.
I thought I had confirmed the Apple ID, allowed the W10, AV, Browser
and VMWare updates to happen, then it came back with a login screen.

On entering the email and password, it said that I have to use the
login with an iOS or OSx device to set it up before using the iCloud
login for Windows.

I've given up for tonight, but will start again tomorrow.

I too have tried this but gave up at this point. Even if you can get it
working now, at some future point it is bound to stop working due to
some improvement either at Apple or Windows. Then you have to spend
another few hours finding out how to get it working again. Life's too
short.

--
Evremonde

Bill[_18_] May 16th 19 10:11 AM

Rotten Apple?

In message , The Marquis Saint
Evremonde writes
I too have tried this but gave up at this point. Even if you can get it
working now, at some future point it is bound to stop working due to
some improvement either at Apple or Windows. Then you have to spend
another few hours finding out how to get it working again. Life's too
short.

Here is where I have got to:

My emails, including the one from my son, come in via Turnpike on a
virtual 32-bit W7 machine. In trying to set up the Apple ID, I used
Firefox in the VM.

On checking today, it appears I have registered an Apple ID and today,
unlike last night, I can get to the management screen.

I then tried logging in and going to "Manage" in the 64-bit W10 host
machine. This appears to have worked.

When I try to look at his photo album in either OS, I get the following
message:
"iCloud Photo Sharing is not available for this device".

I think I'll give up unless anyone can suggest a magic way forward.
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 16th 19 10:39 AM

Rotten Apple?

On 16/05/2019 10:11, Bill wrote:
[...]

Bill. I should give up.
You are clearly too stupid to use a computer.

--
“The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

John Rumm May 16th 19 10:57 AM

Rotten Apple?

On 16/05/2019 10:11, Bill wrote:
[...]

Have you followed:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205323

--
Cheers,

John.

Bill[_18_] May 16th 19 11:18 AM

Rotten Apple?

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Bill. I should give up.
You are clearly too stupid to use a computer.

You are probably right.

When we had a computer related business, my big strength was in the
testing, as I excelled at making stupid mistakes that would uncover
hidden obscure bugs that the software writers had missed.

I was moderately good then with the diagnostics in analysing whereabouts
the problems were.

But, "iCloud Photo Sharing is not available for this device" isn't
exactly a helpful message.

I'm trying one last pass through the various instructions and have
reached the stage where a restart is called for, so I'll post this and
disappear.
--
Bill

---