DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rotten Apple? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/635683-rotten-apple.html)

Bill[_18_] May 15th 19 08:33 PM

Rotten Apple?

Son has sent me a message to subscribe to his photo album while he is on
holiday.

I click on the subscribe link, and it wants my Apple ID. To get an Apple
ID, it appears I have to have an iSomething. I don't.

Is there any way of getting an Apple ID, or some way round this?

All the rest of the family just use Windows/Android.

--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Andy Burns[_13_] May 15th 19 08:40 PM

Rotten Apple?

https://appleid.apple.com/account#!&page=create

John Rumm May 15th 19 11:15 PM

Rotten Apple?

On 15/05/2019 20:33, Bill wrote:
Son has sent me a message to subscribe to his photo album while he is on
holiday.

I click on the subscribe link, and it wants my Apple ID. To get an Apple
ID, it appears I have to have an iSomething. I don't.

Is there any way of getting an Apple ID, or some way round this?

All the rest of the family just use Windows/Android.

You can sign up for an apple ID without needing any iTat. Handy for when
apple types send you documents in "pages" format and you need to
convert them, to something the rest of the world can make use of.

--
Cheers,

John.

Bill[_18_] May 15th 19 11:45 PM

Rotten Apple?

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Bill wrote:

Is there any way of getting an Apple ID

https://appleid.apple.com/account#!&page=create

Thanks, Andy!

But during the process, everything Windows seemed to conspire against me
with updates.
Then tea was declared.
I thought I had confirmed the Apple ID, allowed the W10, AV, Browser
and VMWare updates to happen, then it came back with a login screen.

On entering the email and password, it said that I have to use the login
with an iOS or OSx device to set it up before using the iCloud login for
Windows.

I've given up for tonight, but will start again tomorrow.
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Brian Gaff May 16th 19 07:00 AM

Rotten Apple?

I have an I device but because its got face ID you are supposed to only need
the apple ID only once, however in recent days every time I want to download
an app it wants the id and pass code, which of course I hid in a very safe
place under a file name I've forgotten. Bah humbug.
I think Apple id is only for those using apple stuff. As Itunes is on pc
though I'm not sure if you can grease their palm with silver to get access
to the Icloud.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
tairs...

The Marquis Saint Evremonde[_2_] May 16th 19 08:44 AM

Rotten Apple?

Bill posted
In message , Andy Burns
writes
Bill wrote:

Is there any way of getting an Apple ID

https://appleid.apple.com/account#!&page=create

Thanks, Andy!

But during the process, everything Windows seemed to conspire against
me with updates.
Then tea was declared.
I thought I had confirmed the Apple ID, allowed the W10, AV, Browser
and VMWare updates to happen, then it came back with a login screen.

On entering the email and password, it said that I have to use the
login with an iOS or OSx device to set it up before using the iCloud
login for Windows.

I've given up for tonight, but will start again tomorrow.

I too have tried this but gave up at this point. Even if you can get it
working now, at some future point it is bound to stop working due to
some improvement either at Apple or Windows. Then you have to spend
another few hours finding out how to get it working again. Life's too
short.

--
Evremonde

Bill[_18_] May 16th 19 10:11 AM

Rotten Apple?

In message , The Marquis Saint
Evremonde writes
I too have tried this but gave up at this point. Even if you can get it
working now, at some future point it is bound to stop working due to
some improvement either at Apple or Windows. Then you have to spend
another few hours finding out how to get it working again. Life's too
short.

Here is where I have got to:

My emails, including the one from my son, come in via Turnpike on a
virtual 32-bit W7 machine. In trying to set up the Apple ID, I used
Firefox in the VM.

On checking today, it appears I have registered an Apple ID and today,
unlike last night, I can get to the management screen.

I then tried logging in and going to "Manage" in the 64-bit W10 host
machine. This appears to have worked.

When I try to look at his photo album in either OS, I get the following
message:
"iCloud Photo Sharing is not available for this device".

I think I'll give up unless anyone can suggest a magic way forward.
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 16th 19 10:39 AM

Rotten Apple?

On 16/05/2019 10:11, Bill wrote:
In message , The Marquis Saint
Evremonde writes
I too have tried this but gave up at this point. Even if you can get
it working now, at some future point it is bound to stop working due
to some improvement either at Apple or Windows. Then you have to spend
another few hours finding out how to get it working again. Life's too
short.

Here is where I have got to:

My emails, including the one from my son, come in via Turnpike on a
virtual 32-bit W7 machine. In trying to set up the Apple ID, I used
Firefox in the VM.

On checking today, it appears I have registered an Apple ID and today,
unlike last night,Â* I can get to the management screen.

I then tried logging in and going to "Manage" in the 64-bit W10 host
machine. This appears to have worked.

When I try to look at his photo album in either OS, I get the following
message:
"iCloud Photo Sharing is not available for this device".

I think I'll give up unless anyone can suggest a magic way forward.

Bill. I should give up.
You are clearly too stupid to use a computer.

--
€œThe fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

John Rumm May 16th 19 10:57 AM

Rotten Apple?

On 16/05/2019 10:11, Bill wrote:
[...]

Have you followed:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205323

--
Cheers,

John.

Bill[_18_] May 16th 19 11:18 AM

Rotten Apple?

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Bill. I should give up.
You are clearly too stupid to use a computer.

You are probably right.

When we had a computer related business, my big strength was in the
testing, as I excelled at making stupid mistakes that would uncover
hidden obscure bugs that the software writers had missed.

I was moderately good then with the diagnostics in analysing whereabouts
the problems were.

But, "iCloud Photo Sharing is not available for this device" isn't
exactly a helpful message.

I'm trying one last pass through the various instructions and have
reached the stage where a restart is called for, so I'll post this and
disappear.
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Adrian Caspersz May 16th 19 11:34 AM

Rotten Apple?

On 16/05/2019 10:11, Bill wrote:

When I try to look at his photo album in either OS, I get the
following message:
"iCloud Photo Sharing is not available for this device".

I think I'll give up unless anyone can suggest a magic way forward.

Bill. I should give up.
You are clearly too stupid to use a computer.

Give up.

Apple have built a secure walled garden around their sharing service,
intended for families, er, iFamilies.

Your son should be able to post snaps to other services on his device.
Whatsapp?

or wait until he comes home - which is what we used to wait for in the
old days, the slide show ...

--
Adrian C

Bill[_18_] May 16th 19 12:32 PM

Rotten Apple?

In message , Adrian Caspersz
writes
On 16/05/2019 10:11, Bill wrote:

When I try to look at his photo album in either OS, I get the
following message:
"iCloud Photo Sharing is not available for this device".

I think I'll give up unless anyone can suggest a magic way forward.

Bill. I should give up.
You are clearly too stupid to use a computer.

Give up.

Apple have built a secure walled garden around their sharing service,
intended for families, er, iFamilies.

Your son should be able to post snaps to other services on his device.
Whatsapp?

or wait until he comes home - which is what we used to wait for in the
old days, the slide show ...

He seems to have largely reverted to email so I now have quite a few
pictures and a video he took of the bear opening the door of the pickup
truck next door, climbing in and emerging with packet of crisps it had
found. Today he is in the Smoky Mountains.

I remember slide shows. Ages to set up, the smell of hot dust on the
lamp and, ultimately, tedium.
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Bill[_18_] May 16th 19 12:42 PM

Rotten Apple?

OK, I've given up.

It still insists that I log in from an Apple device before I can use
iCloud Photo Sharing in Windows.

As far as I can tell, I've followed all the instructions to the letter.
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Graham.[_11_] May 16th 19 01:15 PM

Rotten Apple?

Bill, you are clearly not with the program; the Apple paradigm.
You need to decide who's side you are on.
This guy will help you make up your mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfrYOWlKJ_g

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Davey May 16th 19 02:09 PM

Rotten Apple?

On Thu, 16 May 2019 12:42:39 +0100
Bill wrote:

OK, I've given up.

It still insists that I log in from an Apple device before I can use
iCloud Photo Sharing in Windows.

As far as I can tell, I've followed all the instructions to the
letter.

It reminds me of when I wanted to join a TomTom forum, so I could
complain about the wrong directions that lorry drivers using the devices
followed, and ended up trying to drive through our living room.
TomTom Forums needed my device serial number to register, but since I
didn't have a TomTom, this was impossible. Another kind of Catch-22
situation.

--
Davey.

Bill[_18_] May 16th 19 04:41 PM

Rotten Apple?

In message , Graham.
writes

Bill, you are clearly not with the program; the Apple paradigm.
You need to decide who's side you are on.
This guy will help you make up your mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfrYOWlKJ_g

What is particularly bizarre is that one of the friends I help with
computer problems has just decided to move from his newish all singing
Windows desktop to a refurbished iMac for himself and one for his wife.

Using Teamviewer, I have supported him for years and years, so I am now
Teamviewering into his iMac. He has been on the phone virtually every
day since it arrived and I am now moderately up to speed on his iMac.

Together, we have managed to get most of his main files across, got his
printers working, installed a new scanner because the old one was
incompatible and found that it was a keyboard fault (stuck key) that had
stopped him being able to send any emails.

There were also a couple of days where he thought he had lost everything
on it, and had been looking for a cardboard box to pack it in ready to
return to the supplier for repair, having carried it into the hall.
After advice from my son, he found a backup and we got it going again.

He still thinks it looks great, has great speakers, and he still wants
to use it for his writing work.

His only current problem is that he copied all his photos over from the
PC and it sync'd them to his iCloud, which now says he has reached the
free limit and wants him to pay for more storage. I have told him he is
on his own searching for how to unsync stuff from the cloud.

I understand that people love Apple, but don't think I will join that
paradigm/universe.

Oh and Teamviewer has now decided that I am probably using it
commercially (absolutely not) and has started asking for money.

--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Michael Chare[_4_] May 16th 19 05:06 PM

Rotten Apple?

On 15/05/2019 23:45, Bill wrote:
In message , Andy Burns
writes
Bill wrote:

Is there any way of getting an Apple ID

https://appleid.apple.com/account#!&page=create

Thanks, Andy!

But during the process, everything Windows seemed to conspire against me
with updates.
Then tea was declared.
Â*I thought I had confirmed the Apple ID, allowed the W10, AV, Browser
and VMWare updates to happen, then it came back with a login screen.

On entering the email and password, it said that I have to use the login
with an iOS or OSx device to set it up before using the iCloud login for
Windows.

There are iOS emulators that will run on Windows. Using one of them
might help.

--
Michael Chare

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 16th 19 05:47 PM

Rotten Apple?

On 16/05/2019 17:06, Michael Chare wrote:
On 15/05/2019 23:45, Bill wrote:
In message , Andy Burns
writes
Bill wrote:

Is there any way of getting an Apple ID

https://appleid.apple.com/account#!&page=create

Thanks, Andy!

But during the process, everything Windows seemed to conspire against
me with updates.
Then tea was declared.
Â*Â*I thought I had confirmed the Apple ID, allowed the W10, AV, Browser
and VMWare updates to happen, then it came back with a login screen.

On entering the email and password, it said that I have to use the
login with an iOS or OSx device to set it up before using the iCloud
login for Windows.

There are iOS emulators that will run on Windows. Using one of them
might help.

Get your son to log you in using his machine but your identity.

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.

The Marquis Saint Evremonde[_2_] May 16th 19 07:07 PM

Rotten Apple?

John Rumm posted
On 16/05/2019 10:11, Bill wrote:
Here is where I have got to:
My emails, including the one from my son, come in via Turnpike on a
virtual 32-bit W7 machine. In trying to set up the Apple ID, I used
Firefox in the VM.
On checking today, it appears I have registered an Apple ID and
today, unlike last night,* I can get to the management screen.
I then tried logging in and going to "Manage" in the 64-bit W10 host
machine. This appears to have worked.
When I try to look at his photo album in either OS, I get the
following message:
"iCloud Photo Sharing is not available for this device".
I think I'll give up unless anyone can suggest a magic way forward.

Have you followed:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205323

That tells you (or purports to tell you) how to upload photos from your
Apple gadget to iCloud. It doesn't tell you how to use a Windows machine
to look at somebody else's photos on iCloud.

--
Evremonde

Rod Speed May 16th 19 08:24 PM

Rotten Apple?

Brian Gaff wrote

I have an I device but because its got face ID you are supposed to only
need the apple ID only once, however in recent days every time I want to
download an app it wants the id and pass code,

Mine doesn’t. Its happy with the Touch ID.

which of course I hid in a very safe place under a file name I've
forgotten. Bah humbug.

I use a proper password manager.

I think Apple id is only for those using apple stuff.

Not in the sense where stuff is hardware, its also used
for other things like converting pages docs etc if
someone sends you something in that format and
you don’t have any apple device that can read it.

As Itunes is on pc though I'm not sure if you can grease their palm with
silver to get access to the Icloud.

You don’t have to pay for that if you don’t have any apple hardware.

tairs...

Peeler[_3_] May 16th 19 08:56 PM

Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 17 May 2019 05:24:12 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Mine doesn¢t.

Darn, and you HAD to **** also in this thread, you senile Ozzie cretin?

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."

John Rumm May 16th 19 09:45 PM

Rotten Apple?

On 16/05/2019 19:07, The Marquis Saint Evremonde wrote:
John Rumm posted
On 16/05/2019 10:11, Bill wrote:
Â*Here is where I have got to:
Â*My emails, including the one from my son, come in via Turnpike on a
virtual 32-bit W7 machine. In trying to set up the Apple ID, I used
Firefox in the VM.
Â*On checking today, it appears I have registered an Apple ID and
today,Â* unlike last night,Â* I can get to the management screen.
Â*I then tried logging in and going to "Manage" in the 64-bit W10 host
machine. This appears to have worked.
Â*When I try to look at his photo album in either OS, I get the
followingÂ* message:
"iCloud Photo Sharing is not available for this device".
Â*I think I'll give up unless anyone can suggest a magic way forward.

Have you followed:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205323

That tells you (or purports to tell you) how to upload photos from your
Apple gadget to iCloud. It doesn't tell you how to use a Windows machine
to look at somebody else's photos on iCloud.

It includes:

"Turn on iCloud Photos

Download iCloud for Windows.
Open iCloud for Windows.
Next to Photos, click Options.
Select iCloud Photo Library.
Click Done, then click Apply.
Turn on iCloud Photos on all of your Apple devices.

You can also choose to use My Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Sharing
(Shared Albums), and customize the location of your upload and download
folders.

When you turn on iCloud Photos on your PC, My Photo Stream is turned off
automatically. If you want to send new photos to your devices that don't
use iCloud Photos, you can turn My Photo Stream back on."

Now assuming the uploader has already done the iCloud apple devices bit,
the PC bit ought[1] to work.

[1] although in the same way as many iThink things are ought to work -
i.e. quite possibly not at at all or badly.

--
Cheers,

John.

Bill[_18_] May 17th 19 12:33 AM

Rotten Apple?

In message , John
Rumm writes
It includes:

"Turn on iCloud Photos

Download iCloud for Windows.
Open iCloud for Windows.

At this stage, it asks for Username and Password.
Enter them and it says "Cannot Sign In. Your Apple ID must be used to
setup iCloud on an iOS or OSX device before you can use iCloud for
Windows."
I have tested what happens if I enter the wrong password here. It says
Incorrect Password as expected.

This is basically where I have got to many times, and why I gave up.

I only revisited it because I know John is trying to help.

In both the real and virtual machines' Start Menu I now have an iCloud
Photos option.
Clicking this brings up a Download and Upload icon in what appears to be
a subfolder of This PC. I can drag and drop into either of these
folders, but can't make head or tail of whether the file has gone
anywhere.

I really must stop wasting any more time on this!

John Rumm May 17th 19 03:09 AM

Rotten Apple?

On 17/05/2019 00:33, Bill wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
It includes:

"Turn on iCloud Photos

Â*Â* Download iCloud for Windows.
Â*Â* Open iCloud for Windows.

At this stage, it asks for Username and Password.
Enter them and it says "Cannot Sign In. Your Apple ID must be used to
setup iCloud on an iOS or OSX device before you can use iCloud for
Windows."
I have tested what happens if I enter the wrong password here. It says
Incorrect Password as expected.

This is basically where I have got to many times, and why I gave up.

I only revisited it because I know John is trying to help.

In both the real and virtual machines' Start Menu I now have an iCloud
Photos option.
Clicking this brings up a Download and Upload icon in what appears to be
a subfolder of This PC. I can drag and drop into either of these
folders, but can't make head or tail of whether the file has gone anywhere.

I really must stop wasting any more time on this!

I suspect that in this case you would need to sign in using your Son's
apple ID - that would probably circumvent the catch 22 you find yourself
in.

--
Cheers,

John.

FMurtz May 17th 19 04:58 AM

Rotten Apple?

Bill wrote:
Son has sent me a message to subscribe to his photo album while he is on
holiday.

I click on the subscribe link, and it wants my Apple ID. To get an Apple
ID, it appears I have to have an iSomething. I don't.

Is there any way of getting an Apple ID, or some way round this?

All the rest of the family just use Windows/Android.

Just tell him to send it an other way and shove his apple.

FMurtz May 17th 19 05:01 AM

Rotten Apple?

Bill wrote:
[...]

Magic way forward is to distance yourself from anything apple and not
kowtow,If he wants you to see photos he just has to do what the rest of
the family does

whisky-dave[_2_] May 17th 19 12:16 PM

Rotten Apple?

On Thursday, 16 May 2019 14:10:00 UTC+1, Davey wrote:
On Thu, 16 May 2019 12:42:39 +0100
Bill wrote:

OK, I've given up.

I'm not sure why yuo didnlt try migration assistant first,
from the apllications/utilities folder.
The n you can select thin gs to copy or not to copy over, it doesn't give you detailed options but things like photos, apps, documents, network setting, desktop etc.

Personly I'd forget about using icloud to start with, unless you had the PC set up with it previously.

A friend that uses my Macmini for backup and uploading to youtube
complained that copying videos from photos to the desktop was tacking ages 30 mins plus.
What he was doing was copying videos from photos to the desktop of his icloud account, rather than the computer desktop, he was also backing up his ipad and iphone to his icloud account that was full.

It reminds me of when I wanted to join a TomTom forum, so I could
complain about the wrong directions that lorry drivers using the devices
followed, and ended up trying to drive through our living room.
TomTom Forums needed my device serial number to register, but since I
didn't have a TomTom, this was impossible. Another kind of Catch-22
situation.

Well I can understand that, some componies don;t want comments from people that don't use their products.

--
Davey.