Old May 27th 19, 03:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Consumer Units with RCBOs

On 27/05/2019 12:26, [email protected] wrote:
On 27/05/2019 12:13, ARW wrote:
On 27/05/2019 09:47, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Apologies for resurecting this thread, but one final question. If I
cannot have RCBOs at both ends of the garage supply, if I go for
RCBOs in the garage CU and stick with am MCB in the main CU, does
that MCB need to be outside of any RCD protected group or can it be
RCD protected. There is a possibility that my garage supply cable can
be re-routed under the floor and within cupboards or voids where none
of it would require burial in a wall rather than the original plan
which was to take it through the loft where at least 2m would have to
be buried in a wall. I will not know how easy this will be until I
lift a few boards and see.

The MCB should have NO RCD protection. Only the garage end should be
RCD protected.

Did you know that if you bury the cable more than 5cm from the
finished surface on the 2m run then it would not need RCD protection?

Or mechanical protection applied. steel conduit should require no extra
protection.

A length of steel conduit with the ends made off properly is also fine.

--
Adam

Old May 27th 19, 03:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

A length of steel conduit with the ends made off properly is also fine.

Even if it is buried below the plaster?

Richard
Old May 27th 19, 03:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 27/05/2019 15:44, Tricky Dicky wrote:
A length of steel conduit with the ends made off properly is also fine.

Even if it is buried below the plaster?

Yes.

--
Adam
Old May 27th 19, 04:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2019 15:59, ARW wrote:
On 27/05/2019 15:44, Tricky Dicky wrote:
A length of steel conduit with the ends made off properly is also fine.

Even if it is buried below the plaster?

Yes.

I thought protection had to be more than 3mm of steel and steel conduit
is only 1.6mm

When you say the ends are made properly, do you mean the conduit is earthed?

Old May 27th 19, 04:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 27/05/2019 16:06, Fredxx wrote:
On 27/05/2019 15:59, ARW wrote:
On 27/05/2019 15:44, Tricky Dicky wrote:
A length of steel conduit with the ends made off properly is also fine.

Even if it is buried below the plaster?

Yes.

I thought protection had to be more than 3mm of steel and steel conduit
is only 1.6mm

When you say the ends are made properly, do you mean the conduit is
earthed?

There is actually no specification for the thickness of the steel other
than "3mm is deemed to be adequate".

1.6mm earthed steel conduit will pass.

The NICEIC seem happy for you to just use steel conduit (as long as you
are paying them your subs).

I have always found it easy enough to sink the cables 50mm deep.

--
Adam

Old May 28th 19, 08:20 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2019 15:59, ARW wrote:
On 27/05/2019 15:44, Tricky Dicky wrote:
A length of steel conduit with the ends made off properly is also fine.

Even if it is buried below the plaster?

Yes.

I thought protection had to be more than 3mm of steel and steel conduit
is only 1.6mm

When you say the ends are made properly, do you mean the conduit is
earthed?

There is actually no specification for the thickness of the steel other
than "3mm is deemed to be adequate".

1.6mm earthed steel conduit will pass.

The NICEIC seem happy for you to just use steel conduit (as long as you
are paying them your subs).

I have always found it easy enough to sink the cables 50mm deep.

I considered chasing in some runs, just for neatness*, but how the hell do
you get 50mm from both sides of a 100mm wall? The cable would always be a
bit off-centre and it's more than 0mm thick.
Where the cables are in the wall (historic routes) they're steel capped but
only the thin steel - just enough for a bit of a warning - and open at the
back.
The internal walls are also hollow block - too much cutting...!

*I actually prefer surface trunking - I like to be able to get at cables and
pipes.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old May 28th 19, 11:39 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2019 15:59, ARW wrote:
[...]

Capping is only there to protect it from the plasterer.
It can be plastic.

Old May 28th 19, 11:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2019 08:20, PeterC wrote:

Where the cables are in the wall (historic routes) they're steel capped but
only the thin steel - just enough for a bit of a warning - and open at the
back.

The metal capping is very soft.

Believe me, if you hammer the pin for a picture hook into the wall and
it goes through a bit of metal capping you will be totally unaware of it
- until the pin hits the line conductor.

As others have said the capping is only for temporary protection against
plasterers.
Old May 28th 19, 04:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 May 2019 11:57:52 +0100, Mike Clarke wrote:

On 28/05/2019 08:20, PeterC wrote:

Where the cables are in the wall (historic routes) they're steel capped but
only the thin steel - just enough for a bit of a warning - and open at the
back.

The metal capping is very soft.

Believe me, if you hammer the pin for a picture hook into the wall and
it goes through a bit of metal capping you will be totally unaware of it
- until the pin hits the line conductor.

As others have said the capping is only for temporary protection against
plasterers.

Yes, a hook's pin will go through it (don't ask...). This house was last
plastered in about 1950.
There's not sufficient wall to get conduit in as it would break into the
hollow.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old May 28th 19, 05:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 May 2019 08:20:20 UTC+1, PeterC wrote:

I considered chasing in some runs, just for neatness*, but how the hell do
you get 50mm from both sides of a 100mm wall? The cable would always be a
bit off-centre and it's more than 0mm thick.

That's easy. Chase 2" deep, fit cable. Go to other side, chase, adjust position to ensure it's the full 50mm deep Plaster, or should it perchance prove necessary, rebuild wall.

NT

Adding RCBOs to Wyler Split Load CU [email protected] UK diy 13 February 7th 18 06:50 PM
Thoughts on fitting RCBOs Bill UK diy 73 April 22nd 14 06:34 PM
Why do some RCBOs have an earth wire and some don't? Stephen H UK diy 1 February 19th 13 09:24 PM
RCBOs and Clipsal Box TheScullster UK diy 6 January 24th 09 09:04 AM
RCBOs - the wiggly blue madness! [email protected] UK diy 6 October 20th 08 11:37 PM