Old May 15th 19, 05:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's available to remotely switch a power circuit?

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 15/05/2019 13:47, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 15 May 2019 12:42:50 +0100, GB wrote:

On 15/05/2019 12:24, Chris Green wrote:
We want a set of sockets (powering mostly low power things like lamps,
PCs, phone chargers, etc.) which can be turned on/off remotely by
somrthing like a switch by the door. Thus one would be able to leave
the room and 'turn off' using a swithch at the door.

It doesn't need to be long range, just across a room and I'd really
prefer something mains powered rather than battery powered. We don't
want to have to select what to turn off either, it just needs an on/off
switch (with specific on and off positions, need to know it's off) to
turn off all of the sockets on the particular circuit.

The Quinetic 16A remote is the best I can find so far but it's not
quite guaranteed to maintain it's on/off positions. Is there not some
sort of remote control switch that would look and feel like a normal
light switch, always 'up for off/down for on' (in the UK)?

A switched spur exactly meets your needs, but you'd need to do quite a
lot of new wiring to install it.

I'm quite surprised to hear that Qinetic switches don't work 100%.

Conversely I am totally unsurprised. I wouldn't trust *any* consumer-
grade wireless equipment. WiFi, bluetooth, proprietary zappers. None has
been 100% reliable. I can see where the money goes on military kit, if
they have to be 100% reliable.

IME military kit is not necessarily any more reliable. All you can
usually hope for is it will work at a wider temperature range, and be
designed to let you hose the remains of the previous operator off it
with no ill effects!

and they are allowed to use leaded solder!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Old May 15th 19, 05:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 May 2019 17:33:42 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Neither of those have any truth IME. And yes I did work with such kit.

NT
Old May 15th 19, 06:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/19 14:19, Robert wrote:
On 15/05/2019 12:24, Chris Green wrote:

The Quinetic 16A remote is the best I can find so far but it's not
quite guaranteed to maintain it's on/off positions. Is there not some
sort of remote control switch that would look and feel like a normal
light switch, always 'up for off/down for on' (in the UK)?

The Quinetic Remote Socket Adaptor with a 4/6 way plug board really is
your best bet .
By "guaranteed to maintain on/off position" do you mean 0% chance of it
being switched by external interference ? If so I dont think any remote
switch is.
If you mean the ON and OFF positions of the switch occasionally reverse,
then I have had this happen with a 2 gang light switch very occasionally.
Its usually easy to remedy - put the switch in the required OFF
position, remove power to the remote adaptor or circuit being controlled
, switch power back on.
Another way is to remove the switch out of range and set to correct
position.

+1. BTDT

--

Jeff
Old May 15th 19, 07:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
[...]

By 'remote' I meant no wiring between switch and controlled circuit.
Yes, obviously I could simply wire things to do what we want.

I'm quite surprised to hear that Qinetic switches don't work 100%.

They do in the main, however they are just 'toggles', click the switch
and the remote circuit will change state, there's no guarantee of 'up
= off'.

--
Chris Green
·
Old May 15th 19, 09:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:
[...]

If you have wi-fi available then you could choose from a whole range of
smart plugs and control them via mobile app from anywhere, with feedback.
Argos have the tp-link ones for £20 at the moment, and I have a couple
for controlling things various and can vouch for quality.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6254269

Way, way too complicated. We don't walk around with our mobiles here
because there's no coverage anyway, but compareed with 'push this
switch to turn off' any sort of mobile app is a dead loss.

--
Chris Green
·

Old May 15th 19, 09:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Robert wrote:
[...]

Exactly my problem with the Quinetic switches. If there's no obvious
way to tell if you've turned everything off then there's a (small)
risk that you may have turned everything on! I know it's easy to
reset them but you have to know which way they're working before you
know they need resetting.

--
Chris Green
·
Old May 15th 19, 10:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/19 21:40, Chris Green wrote:
Robert wrote:
[...]

What's the difficulty with just plugging in a light (or anything which
has a power-on light) to see if the power is on or not?

--

Jeff
Old May 15th 19, 10:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Robert wrote:
[...]

It rather spoils the simplicity of hitting a switch by the door as you
go out knowing that you've turned everything off.

--
Chris Green
·
Old May 16th 19, 07:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robert" wrote in message
[...]

Of course the ones with a decent level of digital security are.

You don’t see the car door unlockers unlocking themselves
accidentally due to external interference.

Old May 16th 19, 07:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/19 22:18, Chris Green wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:

Exactly my problem with the Quinetic switches. If there's no obvious
way to tell if you've turned everything off then there's a (small)
risk that you may have turned everything on! I know it's easy to
reset them but you have to know which way they're working before you
know they need resetting.

What's the difficulty with just plugging in a light (or anything which
has a power-on light) to see if the power is on or not?

It rather spoils the simplicity of hitting a switch by the door as you
go out knowing that you've turned everything off.

Apologies - I wasn't clear. I meant having a low-power "Indicator" light
permanently plugged in to a spare socket to see whether or not the power
is on.

--

Jeff

need to power cycle modem remotely Bill Wright[_3_] UK diy 51 February 1st 19 01:56 PM
OT helping elderly person with their Android tablet remotely Murmansk UK diy 4 December 28th 14 02:47 PM
Initiate a phone call remotely? Roger Mills[_2_] UK diy 56 December 11th 12 12:20 AM
Remotely Controlled Mower John UK diy 2 June 11th 08 04:14 PM
Security Camera Kit Remotely Viewable over the Internet ! [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 March 26th 07 05:19 PM