Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problem with Hozelock garden sprayer

Have a Hozelock pump sprayer (5L) which is 20+ years old, and no
pressure, so bought a service kit and replaced various washers etc.
However, there is now plenty of pressure, but all that comes out of the
wand is air, not a spray. Tank contains water only, for testing. What
have I probably done wrong?

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Where is the internal hose that goes into the liquid and what about the
little air hole that sucks in air so it comes out as a spray?
I'm going on my old one of course makes may differ in design, but in most
the principle is that the internal pressure in the bit with air in forces
the liquid up and as it passes out of the spray it sucks in air to atomises
it, scent sprays do the same but in those cases the suction from the air
passing over the tube inside sucks up the liquid.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Graeme" wrote in message

Have a Hozelock pump sprayer (5L) which is 20+ years old, and no pressure,
so bought a service kit and replaced various washers etc. However, there
is now plenty of pressure, but all that comes out of the wand is air, not
a spray. Tank contains water only, for testing. What have I probably
done wrong?

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2019 10:43, Graeme wrote:

Have a Hozelock pump sprayer (5L) which is 20+ years old, and no
pressure, so bought a service kit and replaced various washers etc.
However, there is now plenty of pressure, but all that comes out of the
wand is air, not a spray.Â* Tank contains water only, for testing.Â* What
have I probably done wrong?

Try turning the tank upside down. I suspect you have a leak where the
liquid dip tube joins the top of the main bottle - above the water line.

I just got a right sized Viton O ring for mine. It is really only the
big one at the top exposed to air and sunlight that goes brittle.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Where is the internal hose that goes into the liquid

Thanks Brian. Just coming back to say 'Forget it!', because I had
forgotten that length of internal hose which disintegrated last time I
used the pump. Replaced with a length of hose saved from an old
aquarium, and job done.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Martin Brown
writes

Try turning the tank upside down. I suspect you have a leak where the
liquid dip tube joins the top of the main bottle - above the water line.

Thanks Martin - now fixed. My fault :-)

I just got a right sized Viton O ring for mine. It is really only the
big one at the top exposed to air and sunlight that goes brittle.

Indeed. Spent a tenner on a 'service kit', and yes, only two washers,
external, showed any sign of age.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme brought next idea :
Have a Hozelock pump sprayer (5L) which is 20+ years old, and no pressure, so
bought a service kit and replaced various washers etc. However, there is now
plenty of pressure, but all that comes out of the wand is air, not a spray.
Tank contains water only, for testing. What have I probably done wrong?

If water is left in a container, it can grow a jelly like substance
which blocks up jets completely. It commonly happens to screen washer
jets on little used cars and might well be your problem too.