Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default overboarding for shower tray.

For the life of me I cant remember when I done the shower room.
Now doing the main bathroom.
Putting down a resin shower tray and on to wooden floor boards (not
chipboard), do I overboard the wooden floorboards with ply first or just
lay the mortar bed on the floorboards?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2019 22:17, ss wrote:
For the life of me I cant remember when I done the shower room.
Now doing the main bathroom.
Putting down a resin shower tray and on to wooden floor boards (not
chipboard), do I overboard the wooden floorboards with ply first or just
lay the mortar bed on the floorboards?

When you say "resin" do you mean a GRP tray or a stone resin type? The
latter needs a really stable base with no flex, so ply is definitely
advised - and screw it down well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 14/05/2019 22:42, John Rumm wrote:
When you say "resin" do you mean a GRP tray or a stone resin type? The
latter needs a really stable base with no flex, so ply is definitely
advised - and screw it down well.

I havent ordered it yet but likely a stone resin type.
Thanks for reply I couldnt remember if I overboarded last time or not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2019 23:19, ss wrote:
On 14/05/2019 22:42, John Rumm wrote:
When you say "resin" do you mean a GRP tray or a stone resin type? The
latter needs a really stable base with no flex, so ply is definitely
advised - and screw it down well.

I havent ordered it yet but likely a stone resin type.
Thanks for reply I couldnt remember if I overboarded last time or not.

Also if you don't have a ply top then you quite often find you will end
up with a compromised floorboard when you need to cut the access hole
for the shower trap - that would then leave a large strip of the tray
not properly supported.

Last one I did had 22mm floorboards, and I did a 19mm ply layer on top.
Screwed down on a 6" grid. Made for a very solid feeling base - you
could immediately feel the difference when you walked on the floor
before the tray went in.

--
Cheers,

John.

Screw spacing for plywood overboarding Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 8 November 20th 17 04:09 PM
Overboarding a floor R D S[_2_] UK diy 8 September 25th 15 07:55 PM
Overboarding a ceiling GMM[_3_] UK diy 11 April 18th 14 03:12 PM
Nut tray - File 2 of 2 - yEnc "tray.JPG" 79596 bytes (1/1) Larry[_7_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 December 5th 09 12:16 AM
Shower tray / shower trap Adrian UK diy 12 October 8th 08 09:55 AM