DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Paint for newly skimmed walls - Dulux Supermatt? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/635625-paint-newly-skimmed-walls-dulux-supermatt.html)

Chris Green May 13th 19 07:08 PM

Paint for newly skimmed walls - Dulux Supermatt?

We've had a room skimmed but want to paint it as soon as possible for
M-I-L to return from a minor operation.

It would appear that there are special paints which can be used in
this situation, e.g. Dulux Supermatt. Are these really necessary? ...
and how soon can one actually paint using them?

--
Chris Green
·

alan_m May 13th 19 08:50 PM

On 13/05/2019 19:08, Chris Green wrote:
We've had a room skimmed but want to paint it as soon as possible for
M-I-L to return from a minor operation.

It would appear that there are special paints which can be used in
this situation, e.g. Dulux Supermatt. Are these really necessary? ...
and how soon can one actually paint using them?

Screwfix do one which is considerably cheaper
https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...te-10ltr/51004

Read the reviews on that page.

Dulux approx £5/litre
Screwfix No-Nonsense appox £1.70/lire

Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDSY3sjKoco

I've recently used the screwfix no-nonsense product to quickly paint a
few recently skimmed wall and confirm that it covers well with two coats
applied around 2 hours apart. Applied quickly with a roller.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] May 13th 19 10:19 PM

On Mon, 13 May 2019 19:08:22 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

We've had a room skimmed but want to paint it as soon as possible for
M-I-L to return from a minor operation.

Just skimmed? How thick? Room ventilated/heated?

Trying to establish how long the plaster may take to dry.

It would appear that there are special paints which can be used in
this situation, e.g. Dulux Supermatt. Are these really necessary? ...

If you have the time to leave a few mm of skim to dry in
heated/ventilated room, say 24 to 48 hours (plastered today paint on
wednseday) probably not. I'd use a slightly diluted first coat so the
"dry" plaster doesn't suck the moisture out of the paint too quickly,
leaving it as film rather than adhered.

... and how soon can one actually paint using them?

Read the instructions?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Brian Gaff May 14th 19 08:00 AM

Paint for newly skimmed walls - Dulux Supermatt?

Well it can stop the dustiness effect often found in places where plaster
has been used, but other than that I'm a little out of touch with current
paints.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Chris Green May 14th 19 08:13 AM

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 13 May 2019 19:08:22 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

We've had a room skimmed but want to paint it as soon as possible for
M-I-L to return from a minor operation.

Just skimmed? How thick? Room ventilated/heated?

It is just a thin skim to cover minor blemishes on a sound wall and
some new plasterboard drylined walls. It's probably just a few mm.

Trying to establish how long the plaster may take to dry.

It's mostly turning to its pale pink dry colour already we can easily
wait until it's all pale pink.

It would appear that there are special paints which can be used in
this situation, e.g. Dulux Supermatt. Are these really necessary? ...

If you have the time to leave a few mm of skim to dry in
heated/ventilated room, say 24 to 48 hours (plastered today paint on
wednseday) probably not. I'd use a slightly diluted first coat so the
"dry" plaster doesn't suck the moisture out of the paint too quickly,
leaving it as film rather than adhered.

If that's all the time a thin skim will need then we can easily wait
that long, thanks.

... and how soon can one actually paint using them?

Read the instructions?

:-)

--
Chris Green