Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How many drinking vouchers to core drill a tumble dryer exhaust

I have a team of builders currently on site demolishing a chimney and
doing some fairly major bathroom alterations. This is all formally
priced up and contracted through the parent firm.

Whist they are here I have thought it would be really handy if they
could use the tools they already have been using for the main job in the
bathroom alterations (ie a big core drill) to drill me a suitable hole
for a tumble dryer exhaust.

This is undoubtedly "out of scope" so I was hoping to offer one of them
a few drinking vouchers to do a bit of overtime for me.

If I have to DIY I will have to buy or hire kit or "chain drill" the hole.

Can anybody suggest a sum that would be reasonable for this job as a
"little extra" for someone who is already on site with all of the right
kit? It is on the first floor so if it cant all be done from inside
work will have to be done from a ladder.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2019 21:35, Chris B wrote:
Can anybody suggest a sum that would be reasonable for this job as a
"little extra"

How long is it taking them to drill other holes?

In my experience core drilling can take an inordinate length of time but
that said the last one I did took about 10 mins and was a relative joy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2019 22:26, R D S wrote:
On 10/05/2019 21:35, Chris B wrote:
Can anybody suggest a sum that would be reasonable for this job as a
"little extra"

How long is it taking them to drill other holes?

In my experience core drilling can take an inordinate length of time but
that said the last one I did took about 10 mins and was a relative joy.

Seems to be about 30 to 45 minutes

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2019 07:56, Chris B wrote:
On 10/05/2019 22:26, R D S wrote:
On 10/05/2019 21:35, Chris B wrote:
Can anybody suggest a sum that would be reasonable for this job as a
"little extra"

How long is it taking them to drill other holes?

In my experience core drilling can take an inordinate length of time
but that said the last one I did took about 10 mins and was a relative
joy.

Seems to be about 30 to 45 minutes

Beer vouchers to the value of 45 minutes of your time, plus a bit
because they've got the gear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2019 22:26, R D S wrote:
On 10/05/2019 21:35, Chris B wrote:
Can anybody suggest a sum that would be reasonable for this job as a
"little extra"
How long is it taking them to drill other holes?

In my experience core drilling can take an inordinate length of time
but that said the last one I did took about 10 mins and was a relative
joy.

Seems to be about 30 to 45 minutes

Beer vouchers to the value of 45 minutes of your time, plus a bit
because they've got the gear.

Mmm.
"Your time" including fetching & returning the hire gear, titting
about discovering how to do it, the major risks if up a ladder,
plus your actual time taken to do the hole, plus the costs of
hiring in the kit.

I think you need to make the deal "irresistible" not "equal" to
the above cost of you doing it?

Nothing wrong with starting a bit low in negotiations but you want
a "done deal" with smiles all round, not a begrudged half arsed
attempt...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2019 22:26, R D S wrote:
On 10/05/2019 21:35, Chris B wrote:
Can anybody suggest a sum that would be reasonable for this job as a
"little extra"

How long is it taking them to drill other holes?

In my experience core drilling can take an inordinate length of time but
that said the last one I did took about 10 mins and was a relative joy.

It depends on the wall. Mine is Victorian hand made bricks and 3 bricks
thick and with almost round flint pebbles in. It took the guy who put in
my vent for the wood burning stove about 3 hours and 2 core drills.

It was incredibly difficult to get through because of the little pebbles
jamming up the saw teeth and the bigger ones rotating in the matrix.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2019 22:26, R D S wrote:
[...]

All depends on what *his* hourly rate equates to...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Wrote in message:
On 10/05/2019 22:26, R D S wrote:
[...]

All depends which "he" you are thinking of...
;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2019 22:26, R D S wrote:
On 10/05/2019 21:35, Chris B wrote:
Can anybody suggest a sum that would be reasonable for this job as a
"little extra"

How long is it taking them to drill other holes?

In my experience core drilling can take an inordinate length of time
but that said the last one I did took about 10 mins and was a relative
joy.

Seems to be about 30 to 45 minutes

I'd offer him 50 quid.

In that i've drilled a fair number of these now and if I hadn't already
got a set of cores i'd happily pay that to not have to do the job myself.

But then I am a lazy snowflake.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2019 08:26, Martin Brown wrote:
On 10/05/2019 22:26, R D S wrote:
On 10/05/2019 21:35, Chris B wrote:
Can anybody suggest a sum that would be reasonable for this job as a
"little extra"

How long is it taking them to drill other holes?

In my experience core drilling can take an inordinate length of time
but that said the last one I did took about 10 mins and was a relative
joy.

It depends on the wall. Mine is Victorian hand made bricks and 3 bricks
thick and with almost round flint pebbles in. It took the guy who put in
my vent for the wood burning stove about 3 hours and 2 core drills.

It was incredibly difficult to get through because of the little pebbles
jamming up the saw teeth and the bigger ones rotating in the matrix.

+1

For an *easy* wall, i.e. lightweight blocks plus modern bricks I'd say
£20 was stingy, £50 generous. I think I might try asking "how much for
cash after the rest have gone home".

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Can you not ask them to give you a price for cash (nudge nudge wink
wink) when they are next having a brew? Based on what you are paying for
your priced up job you will know whether it's good or not.

Apparently, the taxman loses tax revenue of £5bn a year in cash in hand
building work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/05/2019 12:07, mm0fmf wrote:
On 10/05/2019 21:35, Chris B wrote:
I have a team of builders currently on site demolishing a chimney and
doing some fairly major bathroom alterations.Â* This is all formally
priced up and contracted through the parent firm.

Whist they are here I have thought it would be really handy if they
could use the tools they already have been using for the main job in the
bathroom alterations (ie a big core drill) to drill me a suitable hole
for a tumble dryer exhaust.

This is undoubtedly "out of scope" so I was hoping to offer one of them
a few drinking vouchers to do a bit of overtime for me.

If I have to DIY I will have to buy or hire kit or "chain drill" the
hole.

Can anybody suggest a sum that would be reasonable for this job as a
"little extra" for someone who is already on site with all of the right
kit?Â* It is on the first floor so if it cant all be done from inside
work will have to be done from a ladder.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Can you not ask them to give you a price for cash (nudge nudge wink
wink) when they are next having a brew? Based on what you are paying for
your priced up job you will know whether it's good or not.

Apparently, the taxman loses tax revenue of £5bn a year in cash in hand
building work.

That's the prostitutes not paying their taxes on hand jobs for builders.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 10 May 2019 21:35:51 UTC+1, Chris B wrote:

[...]

Chain drilling works but is a right pita. It leaves a messy hole that needs tidying with mortar or a collar.
Core drilling takes anything from moderately quick to forever. It's quicker than chain drilling though.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

What size of hole?

Personally I would ditch the tumble drier for a condensing one. Free
heat and no messy hoses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx Wrote in message:
[...]

110 shurely?

Personally I would ditch the tumble drier for a condensing one. Free
heat and no messy hoses.

Worth doing the sums...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/05/2019 12:09, Richard wrote:
On 11/05/2019 09:45, Jim K.. wrote:
Richard Wrote in message:
On 10/05/2019 22:26, R D S wrote:
On 10/05/2019 21:35, Chris B wrote:
Can anybody suggest a sum that would be reasonable for this job
as a
"little extra"
How long is it taking them to drill other holes?

In my experience core drilling can take an inordinate length of time
but that said the last one I did took about 10 mins and was a
relative
joy.

Seems to be about 30 to 45 minutes

Beer vouchers to the value of 45 minutes of your time, plus a bit
because they've got the gear.

Mmm.
"Your time" including fetching & returning the hire gear, titting
Â*Â* about discovering how to do it, the major risks if up a ladder,
Â*Â* plus your actual time taken to do the hole, plus the costs of
Â*Â* hiring in the kit.

I think you need to make the deal "irresistible" not "equal" to
Â*Â* the above cost of you doing it?

Nothing wrong with starting a bit low in negotiations but you want
Â*Â* a "done deal" with smiles all round, not a begrudged half arsed
Â*Â* attempt...

All depends on what *his* hourly rate equates to...

All depends which "he" you are thinking of...
;-)

OP

A lot of rich people do not have hourly rates.

They charge by the minute.

And some rich ****ers actually pay their fees.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2019 18:23, Jim K.. wrote:
Fredxx Wrote in message:
[...]

In which case this would do the job. I know the arbour is extra but I
would be temped.

It does help having an SDS drill of course.

Personally I would ditch the tumble drier for a condensing one. Free
heat and no messy hoses.

Worth doing the sums...

Not just the sums, but the convenience. They can be sited on landings
and in bedrooms if kitchen space is an issue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2019 18:50, Fredxx wrote:
On 11/05/2019 18:23, Jim K.. wrote:
Fredxx Wrote in message:
[...]

I meant to add this:
https://www.toolstation.com/tct-core-drill/p51074

It does help having an SDS drill of course.

Personally I would ditch the tumble drier for a condensing one. Free
heat and no messy hoses.

Worth doing the sums...

Not just the sums, but the convenience. They can be sited on landings
and in bedrooms if kitchen space is an issue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/05/2019 18:23, Jim K.. wrote:
Fredxx Wrote in message:
[...]

Royle Family quote "Bedroom my arse".

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 11/05/2019 18:53, Fredxx wrote:

110 shurely?

In which case this would do the job. I know the arbour is extra but I
would be temped.

I meant to add this:
Â* https://www.toolstation.com/tct-core-drill/p51074

It does help having an SDS drill of course.

So, £20 to buy the kit, and then you have it for the next time. (And
Toolstation will deliver FOC.)

Perhaps I'm a bit mean, but I don't think I'd want to pay somebody else
to do the job for me. They'd be bound to want more than £20 in my
experience.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx Wrote in message:
On 11/05/2019 18:23, Jim K.. wrote:
Fredxx Wrote in message:
[...]

Think I'd rather pay the cash that tit about up a ladder with
one... even with a clutch!

Personally I would ditch the tumble drier for a condensing one. Free
heat and no messy hoses.

Worth doing the sums...

Not just the sums, but the convenience. They can be sited on landings
and in bedrooms if kitchen space is an issue.

Next to the washing machine would be my choice :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB Wrote in message:
On 11/05/2019 18:53, Fredxx wrote:

110 shurely?

In which case this would do the job. I know the arbour is extra but I
would be temped.

I meant to add this:
https://www.toolstation.com/tct-core-drill/p51074

It does help having an SDS drill of course.

So, £20 to buy the kit, and then you have it for the next time. (And
Toolstation will deliver FOC.)

Assuming you have a suitable drill? Clutch model preferred...

Perhaps I'm a bit mean, but I don't think I'd want to pay somebody else
to do the job for me. They'd be bound to want more than £20 in my
experience.

Would you still do it up a ladder?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 11/05/2019 19:46, Jim K.. wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
On 11/05/2019 18:53, Fredxx wrote:

110 shurely?

In which case this would do the job. I know the arbour is extra but I
would be temped.

I meant to add this:
https://www.toolstation.com/tct-core-drill/p51074

It does help having an SDS drill of course.

So, £20 to buy the kit, and then you have it for the next time. (And
Toolstation will deliver FOC.)

Assuming you have a suitable drill? Clutch model preferred...

Most SDS drills sold now have a clutch. I wouldn't do this without a
clutch.

Perhaps I'm a bit mean, but I don't think I'd want to pay somebody else
to do the job for me. They'd be bound to want more than £20 in my
experience.

Would you still do it up a ladder?

Maybe not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB Wrote in message:
On 11/05/2019 19:46, Jim K.. wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
On 11/05/2019 18:53, Fredxx wrote:

110 shurely?

In which case this would do the job. I know the arbour is extra but I
would be temped.

I meant to add this:
https://www.toolstation.com/tct-core-drill/p51074

It does help having an SDS drill of course.

So, £20 to buy the kit, and then you have it for the next time. (And
Toolstation will deliver FOC.)

Assuming you have a suitable drill? Clutch model preferred...

Most SDS drills sold now have a clutch. I wouldn't do this without a
clutch.

Do they?
Should we add the cost of one into the equation?

Perhaps I'm a bit mean, but I don't think I'd want to pay somebody else
to do the job for me. They'd be bound to want more than £20 in my
experience.

Would you still do it up a ladder?

Maybe not.

+2
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K.. wrote:
Richard Wrote in message:
On 10/05/2019 22:26, R D S wrote:
[...]

Except that his boss would be covering it, maybe a slab or two?

All depends which "he" you are thinking of...
;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2019 19:44, Jim K.. wrote:
Fredxx Wrote in message:
On 11/05/2019 18:23, Jim K.. wrote:
Fredxx Wrote in message:
[...]

Would you really want a tumble drier *and* a washing machine in your
bedroom?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/05/2019 18:23, Jim K.. wrote:
Fredxx Wrote in message:
[...]

117 of course.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 11/05/2019 18:23, Jim K.. wrote:
Fredxx Wrote in message:
[...]

Id or od?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K.. wrote:

ARW Wrote in message:
On 11/05/2019 18:23, Jim K.. wrote:
Fredxx Wrote in message: On 10/05/2019 21:35,

Chris B wrote: I have a team of builders currently on site
[...]

I should say that the o.d. of a hole in a wall is, at best, undefined.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K.. wrote:

ARW Wrote in message:
On 11/05/2019 18:23, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

Perhaps not in whatever universe Jim inhabits?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K.. wrote:

ARW Wrote in message:
On 11/05/2019 18:23, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

Chortle
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K.. wrote:

ARW Wrote in message:
On 11/05/2019 18:23, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

Indeed ;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Jim K.. wrote:

ARW Wrote in message:
On 11/05/2019 18:23, Jim K.. wrote:
Fredxx Wrote in message: On 10/05/2019
21:35,

Chris B wrote: I have a team of builders currently on site
demolishing a chimney and doing some fairly major bathroom
alterations.Â* This is all formally priced up and contracted
through the parent firm. Whist they are here I have
thought it would be really handy if they could use the tools they
already have been using for the main job in the bathroom
alterations (ie a big core drill) to drill me a suitable hole for
a tumble dryer exhaust. This is undoubtedly "out of scope"
so I was hoping to offer one of them a few drinking
vouchers to do a bit of overtime for me. If I have to DIY
I will have to buy or hire kit or "chain drill" the hole.
Can anybody suggest a sum that would be reasonable for this job as a
"little extra" for someone who is already on site with all of the
right kit?Â* It is on the first floor so if it cant all be done from
inside work will have to be done from a ladder.
Thanks in advance for any pointers.

What size of hole?

110 shurely?

117 of course.

Id or od?

I should say that the o.d. of a hole in a wall is, at best, undefined.

Perhaps not in whatever universe Jim inhabits?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is-Gnyk4AWE

Just like an estate agents tape measure.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2019 18:02, ARW wrote:
[...]

Nice. You've gone up in my estimation for that!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mm0fmf" wrote in message
[...]

thanks to people like you

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K.. wrote:

ARW Wrote in message:
On 11/05/2019 18:23, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

It doesnt inhabit, it infests.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 May 2019 05:26:15 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Perhaps not in whatever universe Jim inhabits?

It doesn¢t inhabit, it infests.

Stop projecting, senile psychopath!

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"