Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing rusty Crittall windows

I've got several of these to do and am planning to tackle it in the same
way I used to tackle car bodywork in the 70s: grind out the rust, paint
with some sort of anti-rust primer, fill with polyester body filler,
sand, prime and top coat.
Is there anyone here who has renovated Crittall windows and has any
advice (other than replace them)?
....or any car body experts who can suggest primers, fillers and rust eaters?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2019 23:32, Michael Chare wrote:

I have found that I can buy plastic window frames with double glazed
glass made to order to the size I specify. I plan to replace my Crital
frames and wood surrounds.Â* The frames are 7cm thick and have to be
glazed from the inside.

Are not all double glazed windows glazed from the inside? Otherwise the
glazing bars can easily prized out and the DG unit removed by your local
burglar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

Are not all double glazed windows glazed from the inside?

Most are now.

Otherwise the glazing bars can easily prized out and the DG unit
removed by your local burglar.

That's why they generally stopped external glazing bars.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, my older windows are glazed from the outside but getting the trim off
and actually removing the glazing is not easy without a special tool, and
I've had no issues, but modern plastic ones are all glazed from inside I
notice.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 09/05/2019 23:32, Michael Chare wrote:

I have found that I can buy plastic window frames with double glazed
glass made to order to the size I specify. I plan to replace my Crital
frames and wood surrounds. The frames are 7cm thick and have to be glazed
from the inside.

Are not all double glazed windows glazed from the inside? Otherwise the
glazing bars can easily prized out and the DG unit removed by your local
burglar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns Wrote in message:

alan_m wrote:

Are not all double glazed windows glazed from the inside?

Most are now.

Otherwise the glazing bars can easily prized out and the DG unit
removed by your local burglar.

That's why they generally stopped external glazing bars.

Beads. :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2019 07:13, Andy Burns wrote:

alan_m wrote:

Are not all double glazed windows glazed from the inside?

Most are now.

Otherwise the glazing bars can easily prized out and the DG unit
removed by your local burglar.

That's why they generally stopped external glazing bars.

For a while they fitted the external ones with an adhesive security tape
behind them. Presumably that made them harder to remove, but not
impossible - on the usual principle of "they'll go somewhere else if its
a bit more difficult/noiser than average, etc."

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2019 18:06, wrote:

...or any car body experts who can suggest primers, fillers and rust
eaters?

https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion...st-treatments/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2019 08:23, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 09/05/2019 18:06, wrote:

...or any car body experts who can suggest primers, fillers and rust
eaters?

https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion...st-treatments/

Thanks. They're new to me and look very interesting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2019 07:25, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well, my older windows are glazed from the outside but getting the trim off
and actually removing the glazing is not easy without a special tool, and
I've had no issues, but modern plastic ones are all glazed from inside I
notice.

Not all.....

A school caretaker of my acquaintance became exceedingly grateful one
night that the school office windows had been glazed the "wrong" way
round when he accidentally locked himself out and couldn't even leave
the electronically secured playground without the stuff he'd left inside.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 May 2019 18:06:57 UTC+1, wrote:
I've got several of these to do and am planning to tackle it in the same
way I used to tackle car bodywork in the 70s: grind out the rust, paint
with some sort of anti-rust primer, fill with polyester body filler,
sand, prime and top coat.
Is there anyone here who has renovated Crittall windows and has any
advice (other than replace them)?
...or any car body experts who can suggest primers, fillers and rust eaters?

According to tests on youtube, vinegar is the most effective rust remover.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2019 04:43, alan_m wrote:
On 09/05/2019 23:32, Michael Chare wrote:

I have found that I can buy plastic window frames with double glazed
glass made to order to the size I specify. I plan to replace my Crital
frames and wood surrounds.Â* The frames are 7cm thick and have to be
glazed from the inside.

Are not all double glazed windows glazed from the inside? Otherwise the
glazing bars can easily prized out and the DG unit removed by your local
burglar.

No.

Mine are glazed from the outside, but you have to remove the inner
rubber bead which allows the panel to move inwards 1/8" inch which then
allows the outside trim to be removed. It's quite clever.

--
Email does not work

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 May 2019 05:39:17 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

According to tests on youtube, vinegar is the most effective rust remover.

Don¢t believe that.

Thanks for letting us know, senile Rodent!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2019 16:05, Andrew wrote:
On 10/05/2019 09:39, wrote:
On 09/05/2019 23:32, Michael Chare wrote:
On 09/05/2019 18:06,
wrote:
I've got several of these to do and am planning to tackle it in the
same way I used to tackle car bodywork in the 70s: grind out the
rust, paint with some sort of anti-rust primer, fill with polyester
body filler, sand, prime and top coat.
Is there anyone here who has renovated Crittall windows and has any
advice (other than replace them)?
...or any car body experts who can suggest primers, fillers and rust
eaters?

I have found that I can buy plastic window frames with double glazed
glass made to order to the size I specify. I plan to replace my
Crital frames and wood surrounds.Â* The frames are 7cm thick and have
to be glazed from the inside.

Unfortunately plastic does not look the same, nor does stick-on
leading look the same as real leading. Also, it would be ruinously
expensive to replace the large number of casements in this house.

Though not as ruinously expensive as replacing with new Crittall
windows, though the new ones will at least be double glazed with
thermal breaks and will still have fairly slim profiles.

True, but I have about 80 casements! Most are OK. Some have "a bit of
rust". A few look OK but the glazing is being pushed away from the
casement, so there must be rust. A few are badly rusted and need either
filler or welding. To adapt a well known saying: buy a house in haste
and repent at leisure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2019 14:07, wrote:

According to tests on youtube, vinegar is the most effective rust remover.

Only if left in a solution for 24hrs+ and these are in-situ window
frames. Its not the MOST effective!

Phosphoric acid is a rust converter (available on Ebay) but check on a
test piece that after conversion the paint used for over-coating is not
affected.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...+acid&_sacat=0

Its sold in different concentrations - you need the high concentrations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS8Cke3CLC4

Although the phosphoric acid is possibly the cheap option it has the
consistency of water and you may need a few applications before it fully
converts the rust, possibly taking up to 24 hours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I think 80 is comfortably more than Crittall put in his own country
residence when he built it in the 30s. Can't help wonder if you bought
a house or an office block!

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

residence when he built it in the 30s.Â* Can't help wonder if you bought
a house or an office block!

I suppose a double fronted house could have (say) 5 x 4 casements front
and back (40), plus a bunch scattered at the sides and a few dormers.

Whichever, it's quite a pile!

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2019 06:35, alan_m wrote:
On 10/05/2019 14:07, wrote:

According to tests on youtube, vinegar is the most effective rust
remover.

Only if left in a solution for 24hrs+ and these are in-situ window
frames. Its not the MOST effective!

Phosphoric acid is a rust converter (available on Ebay) but check on a
test piece that after conversion the paint used for over-coating is not
affected.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...+acid&_sacat=0

Its sold in different concentrations - you need the high concentrations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS8Cke3CLC4

Although the phosphoric acid is possibly the cheap option it has the
consistency of water and you may need a few applications before it fully
converts the rust, possibly taking up to 24 hours.

I remember (I think) using that on my old bangers in the 70s. Someone
else posted this link
https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion...st-treatments/
which looks interesting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

It's not small but it's a long way from being "a pile" - there are just
lots of windows. I hadn't realised quite what a project we were taking-on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 May 2019 11:34:57 UTC+1, wrote:
On 13/05/2019 00:24, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 12 May 2019 22:28:32 UTC+1, wrote:
On 10/05/2019 12:59, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/05/2019 18:06, wrote:

I've got several of these to do and am planning to tackle it in the
same way I used to tackle car bodywork in the 70s: grind out the rust,
paint with some sort of anti-rust primer, fill with polyester body
filler, sand, prime and top coat.
Is there anyone here who has renovated Crittall windows and has any
advice (other than replace them)?
...or any car body experts who can suggest primers, fillers and rust
eaters?

Don't know if it applies to yours (the level of rust may suggest not)
but many I see are galvanised steel - hence finding an appropriate
primer that will bond properly is harder.

These are late 30s "arts and crafts", which is before they started
galvanising.

Maybe it's an option to take them out, strip em, acid dip & galvanise.

NT

If I take some out I'll get them sand blasted and powder coated, but the
problem will be getting the leaded lights out (and back!) intact. It all
seems rather daunting on top of everything else that needs doing.

Fun. I'm not sure there's any shortcut, unless blasting in situ might be an option for some of them.

FWIW I've always wondered how effective it would be to have a second sheet of glass outside the window & frame, wih a gap at the bottom. Idea being to keep rain off the frame & slow air movement on the glass.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Bit of a shame to have 80 casements that can't be opened.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2019 18:06, wrote:

[...]

....for sliding sash windows of course. Shouldn't take too much brainage to work out how to adapt it for casements.

NT

Need a sash lock for a Crittall patio door - any locksmiths around? [email protected] UK diy 5 July 4th 17 04:05 PM
Repairing a rusty steel-framed barn BluntChisel UK diy 22 September 22nd 11 12:01 PM
Crittall Thumbturns Rod UK diy 4 August 24th 07 09:40 PM
DG units for Crittall windows The Medway Handyman UK diy 3 November 15th 06 07:53 AM
repairing old windows Joseph O'Brien Home Repair 2 January 8th 04 03:26 AM