Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Large rusty nails in salvaged 4x3 hardwood...

Any tips on how to get them out without making more mess of the timber?

When hit backwards they just bend, the heads are firmly stuck :-(

Tried punching back out after the pointy end metal fatigued off
leaving the embedded nail flush but can't get it
moving!

TIA
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2019 13:33, Jim K.. wrote:
Any tips on how to get them out without making more mess of the timber?

When hit backwards they just bend, the heads are firmly stuck :-(

Tried punching back out after the pointy end metal fatigued off
leaving the embedded nail flush but can't get it
moving!

TIA

Are these perhaps the cut nails used in floorboards? If so, old ones can
be very difficult but once snapped off flush on the underside they can
normally be driven through with a punch (from the back).

If oval nails they can often be driven right through from the top side.
Hard work but less risk of splintering the good side.

If round nails (with conventional big heads) then as for flat nails. Or
grind heads off with angle grinder and then drive through from the top,
but this obviously leaves more damage to fill.

Particularly if rusty it may be worth soaking with WD-40 or similar,
although obviously this has the potential to change the appearance.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2019 13:33, Jim K.. wrote:
Any tips on how to get them out without making more mess of the timber?

When hit backwards they just bend, the heads are firmly stuck :-(

Tried punching back out after the pointy end metal fatigued off
leaving the embedded nail flush but can't get it
moving!

TIA

Something I have done a bit of, reusing old wood in building
restoration, scarfing bits on to timbers full of nails etc..

You need to get a grip of the nail and pull hard. Even then it may not
come. Sometimes bashing it in a touch will loosen it abit so you can
pull it back out. There are tools called nail pullers which can be very
effective but are difficult to find now. They used to be used in
warehouses when packing cases were nailed up. I think I bought a mini
nail puller from Axminster not many years ago...
.... no, I am wrong, google tells me they are available all over the
place, so get one. otherwise it's chiseling out enough to grip then mole
grips and ways of clamping down on pincers to crowbar the things out. a
mixture of ingenuity, brutish force and patience will get you there.

TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2019 13:33, Jim K.. wrote:
Any tips on how to get them out without making more mess of the timber?

When hit backwards they just bend, the heads are firmly stuck :-(

Tried punching back out after the pointy end metal fatigued off
leaving the embedded nail flush but can't get it
moving!

TIA

Put the timber somewhere really dry so that it will shrink
away from the rusty nails and then you might stand a chance
of getting the nails out.

Could take a while to dry thoroughly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2019 14:53, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 09 May 2019 13:33:29 +0100, Jim K.. wrote:

Any tips on how to get them out without making more mess of the timber?

When hit backwards they just bend, the heads are firmly stuck :-(

Tried punching back out after the pointy end metal fatigued off
leaving the embedded nail flush but can't get it moving!

TIA

FiL had a tool for doing this. No idea what it was called, but it was
tubular with something in one end of the tube. Apparently it was for
pulling nails out of architraves. Whatever it was, it was *old* -
certainly pre-war, if not pre-1900. Father-to-son jobbie.

Never seen a modern version.

You can get a good grip if you have a tapered hole with some ball
bearings in, you pop it over the nail and it will grip really well while
you lever it up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2019 16:13, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 09 May 2019 16:08:53 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

[...]

This thing had some sort of angled claw.

FiLs father was a painter and decorator if that helps.

the four foot wrecking bar in the boot has a nail pulling slot on it.
Six inch nails are not a problem if you can get it under the head, but
you do need to pack it up when part way out.

--
must fix shIFt KeY.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well the rust has made the metal both rough and larger. What is needed is
something that attacks metal of the ferrous variety but not wood.

It would be laborious to cut the ends off and then use a punch to hammer
each out.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jim K.." wrote in message
Any tips on how to get them out without making more mess of the timber?

When hit backwards they just bend, the heads are firmly stuck :-(

Tried punching back out after the pointy end metal fatigued off
leaving the embedded nail flush but can't get it
moving!

TIA
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 May 2019 14:13:14 UTC+1, TimW wrote:
On 09/05/2019 13:33, Jim K.. wrote:

Any tips on how to get them out without making more mess of the timber?

When hit backwards they just bend, the heads are firmly stuck :-(

Tried punching back out after the pointy end metal fatigued off
leaving the embedded nail flush but can't get it
moving!

TIA

Something I have done a bit of, reusing old wood in building
restoration, scarfing bits on to timbers full of nails etc..

You need to get a grip

he was told that ages ago
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, I remember one of those my dad had, from his dad.

FiLs father was a painter and decorator if that helps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW wrote:
On 09/05/2019 13:33, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

I built some raised beds out or old fence posts that were full of nails.
After breaking quite a few I found that if I bent them over and then used
the claw of the hammer to twist them back and forth a few times (like
removing and tightening a screw), that broke the worst of the bond twixt
nail and wood and then theyd pull out easily.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 May 2019 03:47:58 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

This thing had some sort of angled claw.

Yeah, I remember one of those my dad had, from his dad.

Oh, darn! And this thread was Rodent-free, so far! tsk

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk Wrote in message:
On Thu, 09 May 2019 13:53:57 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Thu, 09 May 2019 13:33:29 +0100, Jim K.. wrote:

Any tips on how to get them out without making more mess of the timber?

When hit backwards they just bend, the heads are firmly stuck :-(

Tried punching back out after the pointy end metal fatigued off
leaving the embedded nail flush but can't get it moving!

TIA

FiL had a tool for doing this. No idea what it was called, but it was
tubular with something in one end of the tube. Apparently it was for
pulling nails out of architraves. Whatever it was, it was *old* -
certainly pre-war, if not pre-1900. Father-to-son jobbie.

Never seen a modern version.

https://www.axminster.co.uk/faithful...-puller-118781

Thanks Google !!!!

Wow...
£40...! plus P&P!
Cheaper to burn it on the fire & buy new!
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2019 14:17, Jim K.. wrote:
Jethro_uk Wrote in message:
[...]

It's quite a substantial tool and would probably last a couple of lifetimes.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2019 09:46, Jethro_uk wrote:

https://www.axminster.co.uk/faithful...-puller-118781

Thanks Google !!!!

You posted that just in time for me to order one before I lifted the two
layers of floor boards in our spare room.

Sadly I didn't read the post until I'd finished...

Not that the boards are worth saving anyway. A _lot_ of woodworm (and a
little rot) most of which I hope is historic. If it isn't it soon will
be now we can get at the joists.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2019 21:43, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 10/05/2019 09:46, Jethro_uk wrote:

https://www.axminster.co.uk/faithful...-puller-118781

Thanks Google !!!!

You posted that just in time for me to order one before I lifted the two
layers of floor boards in our spare room.

Sadly I didn't read the post until I'd finished...

If you are like me, you will order one now anyway, then in five years
time when you need it again you won't be able to find it.

:-)

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW Wrote in message:
On 09/05/2019 13:33, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

One to add in, heat.

I was going to use a gas blowlamp but couldn't find the "head"
part so used a hot air gun with a heat reflector nozzle fitted
(usually used to solder pipe fittings).

Expansion & contraction appears to have loosened the grip of the
rusty nails in the timber, and with a combination of mechanical
techniques, they are all out.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----