Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where can U get a key cut like this?

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...506_161240.jpg

It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

- Stephen Vizinczey

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...506_161240.jpg

It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

Similar to some car keys - you could try a proper car parts shop that
does keycutting.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 May 2019 14:11:52 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...506_161240.jpg

It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

A good locksmith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...506_161240.jpg

It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

Hard to tell from that photo. Always help to measurements of key and
photo of lock. But might be nothing more exotic than a Yale "Superior"
Euro Cylinder. If so widely available - eg Timpsons.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2019 16:09, Robin wrote:

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...506_161240.jpg

It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

Hard to tell from that photo.Â* Always help to measurements of key and
photo of lock.Â* But might be nothing more exotic than a Yale "Superior"
Euro Cylinder.Â* If so widely available - eg Timpsons.

Who or what are 'Timpsons' - never heard of em.

So much for 'widely available' :-)

--
"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow witted
man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest

- Leo Tolstoy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 08/05/2019 16:09, Robin wrote:

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...506_161240.jpg

It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

Hard to tell from that photo. Always help to measurements of key and
photo of lock. But might be nothing more exotic than a Yale "Superior"
Euro Cylinder. If so widely available - eg Timpsons.

Who or what are 'Timpsons' - never heard of em.

So much for 'widely available' :-)

You know what to do....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Who or what are 'Timpsons' - never heard of em.

The cobblers/dry-cleaners/key-cutting kiosk that's in most(?) Sainsburys

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2019 16:09, Robin wrote:

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...506_161240.jpg

It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

Hard to tell from that photo.Â* Always help to measurements of key and
photo of lock.Â* But might be nothing more exotic than a Yale
"Superior" Euro Cylinder.Â* If so widely available - eg Timpsons.

Who or what are 'Timpsons' - never heard of em...

A key cutting business with more than 1,000 stores across the country.
Other locksmiths are available.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:qaukio$t8k$1
@dont-email.me:

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...506_161240.jpg

It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

You could send the image to:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2019 16:24, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Who or what are 'Timpsons' - never heard of em.

The cobblers/dry-cleaners/key-cutting kiosk that's in most(?) Sainsburys

None anywhere near here.

Anyway guided with that its seems to be a magnum millenco key, and there
is a decent locksmith on email in Cambridge

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

seems to be a magnum millenco key

if it is, and the owner has the little fob with three barcodes on it
tucked away somewhere, you can order a key online instead of taking the
original in to have it duplicated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 May 2019 14:11:54 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...506_161240.jpg

It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

Looks like it's diyable with a pillar drill. Now's the time to get one if you don't already

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 08/05/2019 16:24, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Who or what are 'Timpsons' - never heard of em.

The cobblers/dry-cleaners/key-cutting kiosk that's in most(?) Sainsburys

None anywhere near here.

Bet there are, unless you want "yards away"...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2019 16:24, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Who or what are 'Timpsons' - never heard of em.

The cobblers/dry-cleaners/key-cutting kiosk that's in most(?) Sainsburys

None anywhere near here.

I must admit, I thought there was one in most UK towns of a decent size.
They are like Boots, you just expect to see one.

They often have then outside big supermarkets - both our local Tescos
and Sainsburys have one (the later is a proper shop).

Interesting business story- there was a programme on the TV about it a
few years back.

--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 May 2019 14:11:54 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...506_161240.jpg

It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

- Stephen Vizinczey

They are called "Dimple Keys"
The main manufacturers are Chubb and Yale

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....N0UETdVFfl 8

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...506_161240.jpg

It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

If Timpsons cant do it - find a local locksmith.. Where in the country do you live?

Malcolm

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
On 08/05/2019 16:24, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Who or what are 'Timpsons' - never heard of em.

The cobblers/dry-cleaners/key-cutting kiosk that's in most(?) Sainsburys

None anywhere near here.

I must admit, I thought there was one in most UK towns of a decent size.
They are like Boots, you just expect to see one.

They often have then outside big supermarkets - both our local Tescos
and Sainsburys have one (the later is a proper shop).

Interesting business story- there was a programme on the TV about it a
few years back.

They give ex-offenders a second chance?

--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2019 16:40, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

seems to be a magnum millenco key

if it is, and the owner has the little fob with three barcodes on it
tucked away somewhere, you can order a key online instead of taking the
original in to have it duplicated.

Even if the wpner has the little fob, i doubt he would be able to find
it inside of three months..

Elderly people...I guess its coming to me soon

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
On 08/05/2019 16:24, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Who or what are 'Timpsons' - never heard of em.

The cobblers/dry-cleaners/key-cutting kiosk that's in most(?) Sainsburys

None anywhere near here.

I must admit, I thought there was one in most UK towns of a decent size.
They are like Boots, you just expect to see one.

They often have then outside big supermarkets - both our local Tescos
and Sainsburys have one (the later is a proper shop).

Interesting business story- there was a programme on the TV about it a
few years back.

They give ex-offenders a second chance?

Yes they do. Why not?

The lad I was chatting with with the other month at a prison was about
to go out on day release to work there. And 90% of his wage will be
stopped to pay back back his victims. So that will be 90% of his wage
until he is released in 6 months time.

Apparently his wife and kids will be calling in from school some days to
ask how much it costs to cut a key:-) They live too far away to call in
every day.

A most interesting chat (well a long chat as I worked with him for 3
weeks on that job) so I got to know a bit about him, his crimes and how
he coped in prison as he is not a drug user or an alcoholic.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2019 16:09, Robin wrote:

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...506_161240.jpg

It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

Hard to tell from that photo.Â* Always help to measurements of key and
photo of lock.Â* But might be nothing more exotic than a Yale
"Superior" Euro Cylinder.Â* If so widely available - eg Timpsons.

Who or what are 'Timpsons' - never heard of em.

So much for 'widely available' :-)

Well they "only" have a little over 1000 stores.

Nearly all within supermarkets (Tesco, Sainsburys, etc.) doing keys,
shoe repairs, etc. They apparently even do replacement car keys (with
the electronics for the alarm/immobiliser) a lot cheaper than main
dealers. However their key-cutting and watch battery services are much
more than the local car parts shop.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2019 19:00, ARW wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Brian Reay wrote:
On 08/05/2019 16:24, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Who or what are 'Timpsons' - never heard of em.

The cobblers/dry-cleaners/key-cutting kiosk that's in most(?)
Sainsburys

None anywhere near here.

I must admit, I thought there was one in most UK towns of a decent size.
They are like Boots, you just expect to see one.

They often have then outside big supermarkets - both our local Tescos
and Sainsburys have one (the later is a proper shop).

Interesting business story- there was a programme on the TV about it a
few years back.

They give ex-offenders a second chance?

Yes they do. Why not?

snip

Also "upside down management". Frontline people have immense authority
to vary prices, pay compensation and do what they think best serves the
customer. Head office and regional management are there to help.

Much written about but a brief summary in his own words is
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/connect/small-business/great-service-doesnt-come-from-rules-upside-down-management/

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2019 16:09, Robin wrote:

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...506_161240.jpg

It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

Hard to tell from that photo.Â* Always help to measurements of key and
photo of lock.Â* But might be nothing more exotic than a Yale
"Superior" Euro Cylinder.Â* If so widely available - eg Timpsons.

Who or what are 'Timpsons' - never heard of em.

So much for 'widely available' :-)

The "widely available referred back to "Yale Superior..." That's why it
was "eg Timpsons" not "at Timpsons".

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
On 08/05/2019 16:24, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Who or what are 'Timpsons' - never heard of em.

The cobblers/dry-cleaners/key-cutting kiosk that's in most(?)
Sainsburys

None anywhere near here.

I must admit, I thought there was one in most UK towns of a decent size.
They are like Boots, you just expect to see one.

They often have then outside big supermarkets - both our local Tescos
and Sainsburys have one (the later is a proper shop).

Interesting business story- there was a programme on the TV about it a
few years back.

They give ex-offenders a second chance?

Yes they do. Why not?

Not exactly thrilled at the idea of ex offenders cutting my keys.

The lad I was chatting with with the other month at a prison was about to
go out on day release to work there. And 90% of his wage will be stopped
to pay back back his victims. So that will be 90% of his wage until he is
released in 6 months time.

Apparently his wife and kids will be calling in from school some days to
ask how much it costs to cut a key:-) They live too far away to call in
every day.

A most interesting chat (well a long chat as I worked with him for 3 weeks
on that job) so I got to know a bit about him, his crimes and how he coped
in prison as he is not a drug user or an alcoholic.

What is he in prison for ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 May 2019 05:58:54 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

They give ex-offenders a second chance?

Yes they do. Why not?

Not exactly thrilled at the idea of ex offenders cutting my keys.

NOBODY asked you ANYTHING about your keys, senile Rodent!

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2019 20:46, Robin wrote:
On 08/05/2019 19:00, ARW wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Brian Reay wrote:
On 08/05/2019 16:24, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Who or what are 'Timpsons' - never heard of em.

The cobblers/dry-cleaners/key-cutting kiosk that's in most(?)
Sainsburys

None anywhere near here.

I must admit, I thought there was one in most UK towns of a decent
size.
They are like Boots, you just expect to see one.

They often have then outside big supermarkets - both our local Tescos
and Sainsburys have one (the later is a proper shop).

Interesting business story- there was a programme on the TV about it a
few years back.

They give ex-offenders a second chance?

Yes they do. Why not?

snip

Also "upside down management".Â* Frontline people have immense authority
to vary prices, pay compensation and do what they think best serves the
customer.Â* Head office and regional management are there to help.

Much written about but a brief summary in his own words is
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/connect/small-business/great-service-doesnt-come-from-rules-upside-down-management/

There was an article with Timpson, his company and town centres, on
Radio 4 recently; very interesting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2019 16:09, Robin wrote:

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...506_161240.jpg

It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

Hard to tell from that photo.Â* Always help to measurements of key and
photo of lock.Â* But might be nothing more exotic than a Yale
"Superior" Euro Cylinder.Â* If so widely available - eg Timpsons.

Who or what are 'Timpsons' - never heard of em.

So much for 'widely available' :-)

You need to get out more, and venture further than the corners of your
village! :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 May 2019 14:11:54 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...506_161240.jpg

It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

Similar to our front and back door keys. But ours have tiny magnets embedded in them...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2019 20:52, Robin wrote:
On 08/05/2019 16:09, Robin wrote:

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...506_161240.jpg

It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key
is falling to bits at the handle end.

Hard to tell from that photo.Â* Always help to measurements of key and
photo of lock.Â* But might be nothing more exotic than a Yale
"Superior" Euro Cylinder.Â* If so widely available - eg Timpsons.

Who or what are 'Timpsons' - never heard of em.

So much for 'widely available' :-)

The "widely available referred back to "Yale Superior..."Â* That's why it
was "eg Timpsons" not "at Timpsons".

Sugru is available too, just make a new end for it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" Wrote in message:
On 08/05/2019 20:52, Robin wrote:
On 08/05/2019 16:09, Robin wrote:

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...506_161240.jpg

It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key
is falling to bits at the handle end.

Hard to tell from that photo. Always help to measurements of key and
photo of lock. But might be nothing more exotic than a Yale
"Superior" Euro Cylinder. If so widely available - eg Timpsons.

Who or what are 'Timpsons' - never heard of em.

So much for 'widely available' :-)

The "widely available referred back to "Yale Superior..." That's why it
was "eg Timpsons" not "at Timpsons".

Sugru is available too, just make a new end for it.

Car body filler shhhurely?!?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Brian Reay wrote:

Interesting business story

They give ex-offenders a second chance?

That's one thing they do, another is to offer free cleaning for anyone
who's unemployed and can't afford to get e.g. a suit ready for a job
interview.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2019 16:09, Robin wrote:

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...506_161240.jpg

It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

Hard to tell from that photo.* Always help to measurements of key and
photo of lock.* But might be nothing more exotic than a Yale "Superior"
Euro Cylinder.* If so widely available - eg Timpsons.

Who or what are 'Timpsons' - never heard of em.

So much for 'widely available' :-)

It's a locksmith run by ex-burglars.
It's true, the management is heavily into offender rehabilitation.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
Interesting business story- there was a programme on the TV about it a
few years back.

They give ex-offenders a second chance?

Yes they do. Why not?

I think it an excellent idea.

The lad I was chatting with with the other month at a prison was about
to go out on day release to work there. And 90% of his wage will be
stopped to pay back back his victims. So that will be 90% of his wage
until he is released in 6 months time.

Apparently his wife and kids will be calling in from school some days to
ask how much it costs to cut a key:-) They live too far away to call in
every day.

A most interesting chat (well a long chat as I worked with him for 3
weeks on that job) so I got to know a bit about him, his crimes and how
he coped in prison as he is not a drug user or an alcoholic.

It's good to know there is still at least some rehabilitation going on.
Too many leave prison as bigger criminals than they went in.

--
*A person who smiles in the face of adversity probably has a scapegoat *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 08/05/2019 21:56, polygonum_on_google wrote:
It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

It may be cheaper and easier to get a new euro lock off ebay.
In my opinion it alright having fancy keys to stop lock picking but most
break ins have the lock snapped or a window broken for access.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2019 12:09, ss wrote:
On 08/05/2019 21:56, polygonum_on_google wrote:
It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

It may be cheaper and easier to get a new euro lock off ebay.
In my opinion it alright having fancy keys to stop lock picking but most
break ins have the lock snapped or a window broken for access.

Only time the house I was in was burgled they missed the unlocked door
and jemmied a window.

Handy as that went on the police report and th insurance wasnt affected.

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think it is unfair on Locksmiths to refer to it as such. It is a
convenience service that offers, shoe repairs, engraving, key copying, and
similar.

Can be pricey - went with wife to one for a watch battery - they quoted
£10;95. Got home and found I had a battery of the right size on the 20 for
£1 card. Popped it i and the £5 Asda watch is working again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2019 15:16, DerbyBorn wrote:
I think it is unfair on Locksmiths to refer to it as such. It is a
convenience service that offers, shoe repairs, engraving, key copying, and
similar.

Can be pricey - went with wife to one for a watch battery - they quoted
£10;95. Got home and found I had a battery of the right size on the 20 for
£1 card. Popped it i and the £5 Asda watch is working again.

Was that price for their "lifetime" service where they replace the
battery then and again for no additional charge whenever it needs
another new one? That is patently still expensive for those who can DIE
but not a bad deal for those who can't compared with the competition.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2019 15:42, Robin wrote:
On 09/05/2019 15:16, DerbyBorn wrote:
I think it is unfair on Locksmiths to refer to it as such. It is a
convenience service that offers, shoe repairs, engraving, key copying,
and
similar.

Can be pricey - went with wife to one for a watch battery - they quoted
£10;95. Got home and found I had a battery of the right size on the 20
for
£1 card. Popped it i and the £5 Asda watch is working again.

Was that price for their "lifetime" service where they replace the
battery then and again for no additional charge whenever it needs
another new one?Â* That is patently still expensive for those who can DIE
but not a bad deal for those who can't compared with the competition.

'DIE'? I suppose that makes sense in as much as it /is/ a better deal
for the undead among us. But I meant 'DIY'.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote in
:

On 09/05/2019 15:16, DerbyBorn wrote:
I think it is unfair on Locksmiths to refer to it as such. It is a
convenience service that offers, shoe repairs, engraving, key
copying, and similar.

Can be pricey - went with wife to one for a watch battery - they
quoted £10;95. Got home and found I had a battery of the right size
on the 20 for £1 card. Popped it i and the £5 Asda watch is working
again.

Was that price for their "lifetime" service where they replace the
battery then and again for no additional charge whenever it needs
another new one? That is patently still expensive for those who can
DIE but not a bad deal for those who can't compared with the
competition.

Blimey - It wasn't offered as a one-off payment and I didn't realise it was
a fair price. I stuggle to refit the back on my own so I take it to the
local hardware shop and the charges £4.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...506_161240.jpg

It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

Looks like a anti bump key. I had a Yale barrel lock with a similar key.

These locks usually come with 3 to 6 keys. Has your acquaintance have
the spares stored in a drawer somewhere that can be swapped?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2019 21:36, Fredxx wrote:

You need to get out more, and venture further than the corners of your
village! :-)

I've never seen a branch, however I never use Tesco.