Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where can U get a key cut like this?

On 09/05/2019 12:09, ss wrote:
On 08/05/2019 21:56, polygonum_on_google wrote:
It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

It may be cheaper and easier to get a new euro lock off ebay.
In my opinion it alright having fancy keys to stop lock picking but most
break ins have the lock snapped or a window broken for access.

There not only used on Euro locks but also on rim cylinder locks.
Usually the keyway has a 'normally' horizontal slot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
ARW wrote:
Interesting business story- there was a programme on the TV about it a
few years back.

They give ex-offenders a second chance?

Yes they do. Why not?

I think it an excellent idea.

I assumed that you would:-)

The lad I was chatting with with the other month at a prison was about
to go out on day release to work there. And 90% of his wage will be
stopped to pay back back his victims. So that will be 90% of his wage
until he is released in 6 months time.

Apparently his wife and kids will be calling in from school some days to
ask how much it costs to cut a key:-) They live too far away to call in
every day.

A most interesting chat (well a long chat as I worked with him for 3
weeks on that job) so I got to know a bit about him, his crimes and how
he coped in prison as he is not a drug user or an alcoholic.

It's good to know there is still at least some rehabilitation going on.
Too many leave prison as bigger criminals than they went in.

HMP Sudbury (another one I worked at) is also an excellent place for
training people ready to be released. In their case I met the lads doing
their catering qualifications. They have their own restaurant that is
outside the fence that is open to the public. Well worth a visit for
anyone that is passing. You would not know it was prisoners that were
waiting on you and cooking the food if it was not actually in the prison
car park.

Of course being a cat D (open prison) means that you are unlikely to see
much trouble even when inside the fence.

But then again

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-48191877

some of them cannot help themselves from being pillocks.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 08/05/2019 21:36, Fredxx wrote:

You need to get out more, and venture further than the corners of your
village! :-)

I've never seen a branch, however I never use Tesco.

One in a Sainsbury near here.

--
*A cartoonist was found dead in his home. Details are sketchy.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2019 16:20, DerbyBorn wrote:
Robin wrote in
:

On 09/05/2019 15:16, DerbyBorn wrote:
I think it is unfair on Locksmiths to refer to it as such. It is a
convenience service that offers, shoe repairs, engraving, key
copying, and similar.

Can be pricey - went with wife to one for a watch battery - they
quoted £10;95. Got home and found I had a battery of the right size
on the 20 for £1 card. Popped it i and the £5 Asda watch is working
again.

Was that price for their "lifetime" service where they replace the
battery then and again for no additional charge whenever it needs
another new one? That is patently still expensive for those who can
DIE but not a bad deal for those who can't compared with the
competition.

Blimey - It wasn't offered as a one-off payment and I didn't realise it was
a fair price. I stuggle to refit the back on my own so I take it to the
local hardware shop and the charges £4.

FTAOD my question was not rhetorical. I've never used them for a watch
battery. I only knew that they offered the lifetime service from ads in
their shops. But for all I know that costs a lot more.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/9/2019 7:21 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 08/05/2019 21:36, Fredxx wrote:

You need to get out more, and venture further than the corners of your
village! :-)

I've never seen a branch, however I never use Tesco.

One in a Sainsbury near here.

I know of two in Inverness, one shop on a street in the centre of town,
the other in the Eastgate shopping centre, neither one is connected with
any supermarket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2019 18:20, alan_m wrote:

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...506_161240.jpg

It's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is
falling to bits at the handle end.

Looks like a anti bump key. I had a Yale barrel lock with a similar key.

These locks usually come with 3 to 6 keys. Has your acquaintance have
the spares stored in a drawer somewhere that can be swapped?

He has a decent one on his car key ring

So the one shown is the spare. But he uses that when he doesnt take te car

--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have been a couple of times to the "Secret Cafe" - Great food - main
courses less than £4.