Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default waterproof junction box

I'm installing a LED floodlight outside below a wooden soffit. It would
be neat for the cable to go up to the soffit into a junction box where
the 1mm2 lighting can enter from the loft. So in effect like a ceiling
rose, but waterproof. I haven't found a j/b that expects a cable entry /
exit from its mounting surface. But I bet one of you have.

--
let the dog out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2019 21:34, Mike wrote:

I'm installing a LED floodlight outside below a wooden soffit. It would
be neat for the cable to go up to the soffit into a junction box where
the 1mm2 lighting can enter from the loft. So in effect like a ceiling
rose, but waterproof. I haven't found a j/b that expects a cable entry /
exit from its mounting surface. But I bet one of you have.

--
let the dog out.

If you mean you're going to drill the soffit and fit the JB under the
hole, there might be a problem with condensate running down into the
box. Personally I'd want to fit a box on the wall and take all the
cables in via its bottom surface.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2019 21:34, Mike wrote:

I'm installing a LED floodlight outside below a wooden soffit. It would
be neat for the cable to go up to the soffit into a junction box where
the 1mm2 lighting can enter from the loft. So in effect like a ceiling
rose, but waterproof. I haven't found a j/b that expects a cable entry /
exit from its mounting surface. But I bet one of you have.

--
let the dog out.

A search for "adaptable box" might be useful but, as others have said,
it would be far preferable to enter from below (ooo, errr, missus!)
using cable glands and to have a slight loop so that the box/gland isn't
at the low point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2019 03:55, Bill Wright wrote:
On 07/05/2019 21:34, Mike wrote:

I'm installing a LED floodlight outside below a wooden soffit. It would
be neat for the cable to go up to the soffit into a junction box where
the 1mm2 lighting can enter from the loft. So in effect like a ceiling
rose, but waterproof. I haven't found a j/b that expects a cable entry /
exit from its mounting surface. But I bet one of you have.

--
let the dog out.

If you mean you're going to drill the soffit and fit the JB under the
hole, there might be a problem with condensate running down into the
box. Personally I'd want to fit a box on the wall and take all the
cables in via its bottom surface.

Bill

You could fit a plastic cable gland to the back of the box and make the
soffit hole big enough to accomodate it. I always add a pack of
dessicant to outside boxes (but thats just me).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2019 21:34, Mike wrote:

I'm installing a LED floodlight outside below a wooden soffit. It would
be neat for the cable to go up to the soffit into a junction box where
the 1mm2 lighting can enter from the loft. So in effect like a ceiling
rose, but waterproof. I haven't found a j/b that expects a cable entry /
exit from its mounting surface. But I bet one of you have.

How about:

- 63mm hole in soffit
- round, plastic dry liner box*
- Wago connectors in the box
- hole drilled in centre of box cover* - with grommet - for flex to
light to exit /but/ loose enough to allow any condensation in box to drain

*I've only seen white plastic so may need application of paint to match
soffit

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2019 21:34, Mike wrote:

I'm installing a LED floodlight outside below a wooden soffit. It would
be neat for the cable to go up to the soffit into a junction box where
the 1mm2 lighting can enter from the loft. So in effect like a ceiling
rose, but waterproof. I haven't found a j/b that expects a cable entry /
exit from its mounting surface. But I bet one of you have.

--
let the dog out.

I can't think of the name, but you can also get some that come with a
gel filler for waterproofing. I've even got some somewhere, bought when
I thought they sounded like a good idea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

I can't think of the name, but you can also get some that come with a
gel filler for waterproofing.

wiska?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2019 11:35, Andy Bennet wrote:

You could fit a plastic cable gland to the back of the box and make the
soffit hole big enough to accomodate it. I always add a pack of
dessicant to outside boxes (but thats just me).

I used to do that with cameras for CCTV but of course the bag only
absorbs so much.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 May 2019 21:34:08 UTC+1, Mike wrote:
I'm installing a LED floodlight outside below a wooden soffit. It would
be neat for the cable to go up to the soffit into a junction box where
the 1mm2 lighting can enter from the loft. So in effect like a ceiling
rose, but waterproof. I haven't found a j/b that expects a cable entry /
exit from its mounting surface. But I bet one of you have.

Cables must exit at the lowest point otherwise it will typically fill with water over time. One way to avoid that is to fill it with something totally waterproof, eg bitumen.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2019 21:34, Mike wrote:

I'm installing a LED floodlight outside below a wooden soffit. It would
be neat for the cable to go up to the soffit into a junction box where
the 1mm2 lighting can enter from the loft. So in effect like a ceiling
rose, but waterproof. I haven't found a j/b that expects a cable entry /
exit from its mounting surface. But I bet one of you have.

--
let the dog out.

Ive used a waterproof in-line connector in the past to connect a LED
floodlight. They come with a inclusive set of different size sealing
washers/glands to suit a variety of different size cables

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KBJB002.html

Also waterproof junction boxes

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...nts/index.html.

Note: I replaced a friends outside light which had been wired with
normal grey mains cable a few years before. The insulation was already
cracking presumably as a result of being exposed to UV. It was replaced
with Hi Tuff cable.