Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacement Balusters

We have a couple of missing balusters/spindles. They're 'square turned'
IOW a square section, about 40mm square at the widest.

It hasn't really bothered us - I've been casually looking for years and
have an eBay alert set up, but to no avail. Now it's coming up to time
to sell the house and move on, I'd like to replace them. I had started
to think these were unique to us and our neighbours when I came across
this...

https://tinyurl.com/y5cazrva

....which is an expired Isle-of-Wight-bay listing. They're identical,
and we're near Reading, so obviously not unique. Getting them made
would be expensive because of the square section and the two are
different - one is from a horizontal run along a landing and the other
is a shortened angled version from floor to underside of next flight.

Anyone seen these around or have other suggestions?

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/05/2019 13:32, Clive Arthur wrote:
We have a couple of missing balusters/spindles.Â* They're 'square turned'
IOW a square section, about 40mm square at the widest.

It hasn't really bothered us - I've been casually looking for years and
have an eBay alert set up, but to no avail.Â* Now it's coming up to time
to sell the house and move on, I'd like to replace them.Â* I had started
to think these were unique to us and our neighbours when I came across
this...

https://tinyurl.com/y5cazrva

....which is an expired Isle-of-Wight-bay listing.Â* They're identical,
and we're near Reading, so obviously not unique.Â* Getting them made
would be expensive because of the square section and the two are
different - one is from a horizontal run along a landing and the other
is a shortened angled version from floor to underside of next flight.

Anyone seen these around or have other suggestions?

Cheers

And how are these made, please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive Arthur wrote:

...which is an expired Isle-of-Wight-bay listing. They're identical,
and we're near Reading, so obviously not unique. Getting them made
would be expensive because of the square section and the two are
different - one is from a horizontal run along a landing and the other
is a shortened angled version from floor to underside of next flight.

I had several broken or missing when I bought this Victorian house. Got a
local woodworking shop to turn up some matching ones. Wasn't that
expensive. 40 years ago. But have you checked local timber merchants?
Several in London do supply this sort of spindle now. But may not be
identical. Or a re-claim yard.

--
*Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

In article ,
Clive Arthur wrote:

...which is an expired Isle-of-Wight-bay listing. They're identical,
and we're near Reading, so obviously not unique. Getting them made
would be expensive because of the square section and the two are
different - one is from a horizontal run along a landing and the other
is a shortened angled version from floor to underside of next flight.

I had several broken or missing when I bought this Victorian house. Got a
local woodworking shop to turn up some matching ones. Wasn't that
expensive. 40 years ago. But have you checked local timber merchants?
Several in London do supply this sort of spindle now. But may not be
identical. Or a re-claim yard.

Personally I would attempt to make them by hand, I reckon a decent
enough replica could be made, I dont have a lathe. but its not the first
time I have used my bench grinder to get rough shapes then sand by hand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Not seen any like that before... however, some options:

Make the missing ones - could be done on a bandsaw.

Take a mould of an existing one in latex compound, then cast some
replacements in resin.

Draw one up in a modelling program and use a CNC router to produce them
from timber.

Buy a bulk pack of new spindles and replace the lot. (probably not that
expensive if you are happy to fit them).

Buy anything close ish and fix the missing ones - chances are any
prospective purchaser will not notice, and even if they do, its unlikely
to be a deal breaker.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 7 May 2019 15:25:29 +0100
John Rumm wrote:

Make the missing ones - could be done on a bandsaw.

I was thinking more of a router jig to rough it out, using a removed
spindle as a template, with a bit of hand finishing on the smaller
features.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2019 16:55, Rob Morley wrote:
On Tue, 7 May 2019 15:25:29 +0100
John Rumm wrote:

Make the missing ones - could be done on a bandsaw.

I was thinking more of a router jig to rough it out, using a removed
spindle as a template, with a bit of hand finishing on the smaller
features.

Yup, you could certainly get the broad shape with a template and a guide
bush. The smaller features would need touching up by hand or with a set
of small cutters in the router working across the width rather than
along the length.

--
Cheers,

John.