Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Bleeding radiator question

I have a radiator that doesnt appear to bleed properly.
I open the bleed valve and it will hiss maybe a couple of seconds then
stops, but no water comes out.
I have removed a nearby rad in the bathroom for refurbishment if that is
relevant.

How come? is there an issue here?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 May 2019 23:57:14 UTC+1, ss wrote:

I have a radiator that doesnt appear to bleed properly.
I open the bleed valve and it will hiss maybe a couple of seconds then
stops, but no water comes out.
I have removed a nearby rad in the bathroom for refurbishment if that is
relevant.

How come? is there an issue here?

Is it a sealed system? Presumably it is.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2019 23:57, ss wrote:
I have a radiator that doesnt appear to bleed properly.
I open the bleed valve and it will hiss maybe a couple of seconds then
stops, but no water comes out.
I have removed a nearby rad in the bathroom for refurbishment if that is
relevant.

How come? is there an issue here?

Air lock in the pipe feeding it? Shut down all other radiators to try
and force the flow through the problem radiator.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

r.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote :
So - air comes out and then no water? There must be some presure pushing
out the air - but the presure goes when the water level get to the valve?
Very odd. Is the system pressurised properly? Water should **** out.Are
both valves open (not necessarily fully)?

That air is probably the gas resulting from the products of oxidation
(rust) inside the rad. There is obviously a blockage to both sides of
the rad, or the water pressure is inadequate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2019 23:57, ss wrote:
I have a radiator that doesnt appear to bleed properly.
I open the bleed valve and it will hiss maybe a couple of seconds then
stops, but no water comes out.
I have removed a nearby rad in the bathroom for refurbishment if that is
relevant.

How come? is there an issue here?

If you have a leak you can get negative pressure in the top of the
house. So a hiss as a bit of air goes _in_ then no water comes out.
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2019 23:57, ss wrote:
I have a radiator that doesnt appear to bleed properly.
I open the bleed valve and it will hiss maybe a couple of seconds then
stops, but no water comes out.
I have removed a nearby rad in the bathroom for refurbishment if that is
relevant.

How come? is there an issue here?

Sealed system or vented?

Are you sure that is not air being sucked in you can hear?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 07/05/2019 10:38, John Rumm wrote:

Sealed system or vented?

Are you sure that is not air being sucked in you can hear?

Sealed.
The sytem is pressurised and heating all radiators, however,
I increased the bar pressure and that appears to have sorted it.
The bar pressure is now half bar more than it normally is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote in :

On 07/05/2019 10:38, John Rumm wrote:

Sealed system or vented?

Are you sure that is not air being sucked in you can hear?

Sealed.
The sytem is pressurised and heating all radiators, however,
I increased the bar pressure and that appears to have sorted it.
The bar pressure is now half bar more than it normally is.

surprised the boiler didn't shut down due to low pressure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 07/05/2019 15:05, DerbyBorn wrote:
surprised the boiler didn't shut down due to low pressure.

Thats what baffled me as the boiler always run at a lower pressure so
didnt feel the need to explore that avenue. Possibly the higher
pressure has dislodged something or cured an airlock.

The only time the boiler has shut off was about 3 years back when it was
almost at zero, had been away on hols and it wouldnt fire up on return,
it will run ok at .25 bar and I generally take it up to 1 bar when
necessary, on this ocassion I took it to 1.25 and it appeared to sort
the issue.

Of course bar indications assume the dial is not faulty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote in :

On 07/05/2019 10:38, John Rumm wrote:

Sealed system or vented?

Are you sure that is not air being sucked in you can hear?

Sealed.
The sytem is pressurised and heating all radiators, however,
I increased the bar pressure and that appears to have sorted it.
The bar pressure is now half bar more than it normally is.

surprised the boiler didn't shut down due to low pressure.

Remember that if its an upstairs rad, then the pressure at the RAD could
easily be half a bar (i.e. 15' of head) lower than that seen at the
boiler. Many boilers will work down to 0.5 bar, which could equate to no
nett pressure at all on the first floor.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 07/05/2019 16:06, John Rumm wrote:
Remember that if its an upstairs rad, then the pressure at the RAD could
easily be half a bar (i.e. 15' of head) lower than that seen at the
boiler. Many boilers will work down to 0.5 bar, which could equate to no
nett pressure at all on the first floor.

That could be it, the rad in question was on 1st floor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ss
wrote:
On 07/05/2019 16:06, John Rumm wrote:
Remember that if its an upstairs rad, then the pressure at the RAD
could easily be half a bar (i.e. 15' of head) lower than that seen at
the boiler. Many boilers will work down to 0.5 bar, which could equate
to no nett pressure at all on the first floor.

That could be it, the rad in question was on 1st floor.

surely on a sealed system, the pressure will be the same throughout the
system.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2019 17:11, charles wrote:
In article , ss
wrote:
On 07/05/2019 16:06, John Rumm wrote:
Remember that if its an upstairs rad, then the pressure at the RAD
could easily be half a bar (i.e. 15' of head) lower than that seen at
the boiler. Many boilers will work down to 0.5 bar, which could equate
to no nett pressure at all on the first floor.

That could be it, the rad in question was on 1st floor.

surely on a sealed system, the pressure will be the same throughout the
system.

If the pressure gauge is low down in the system it will "see" the weight
of all the water in the system above it added to whatever pressure you
have as a result of the compression of the gas in the expansion vessel.

1 bar is ~30' of water.

For boilers installed in lofts, you get the opposite effect - the
pressure shown on the gauge there will actually be lower than what you
would measure on the ground floor.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 07/05/2019 16:06, John Rumm wrote:
Remember that if its an upstairs rad, then the pressure at the RAD
could easily be half a bar (i.e. 15' of head) lower than that seen at
the boiler. Many boilers will work down to 0.5 bar, which could equate
to no nett pressure at all on the first floor.

That could be it, the rad in question was on 1st floor.

surely on a sealed system, the pressure will be the same throughout the
system.

If the pressure gauge is low down in the system it will "see" the weight
of all the water in the system above it added to whatever pressure you
have as a result of the compression of the gas in the expansion vessel.

1 bar is ~30' of water.

32ft when I was at university, but so much has changed in the intervening
57 years, that has probably, too.

For boilers installed in lofts, you get the opposite effect - the
pressure shown on the gauge there will actually be lower than what you
would measure on the ground floor.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

On 07/05/2019 16:06, John Rumm wrote:
Remember that if its an upstairs rad, then the pressure at the RAD could
easily be half a bar (i.e. 15' of head) lower than that seen at the
boiler. Many boilers will work down to 0.5 bar, which could equate to no
nett pressure at all on the first floor.

That could be it, the rad in question was on 1st floor.

You definitely need to keep it at a pressure where the highest point in
the system is comfortably above atmospheric (comfortably, to allow for
when completely cold or a slight leak) or air can get in and cause
corrosion. As well as some radiators not using all their area.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2019 20:14, charles wrote:
wrote:
On 07/05/2019 16:06, John Rumm wrote:
Remember that if its an upstairs rad, then the pressure at the RAD
could easily be half a bar (i.e. 15' of head) lower than that seen at
the boiler. Many boilers will work down to 0.5 bar, which could equate
to no nett pressure at all on the first floor.

That could be it, the rad in question was on 1st floor.

surely on a sealed system, the pressure will be the same throughout the
system.

If the pressure gauge is low down in the system it will "see" the weight
of all the water in the system above it added to whatever pressure you
have as a result of the compression of the gas in the expansion vessel.

1 bar is ~30' of water.

32ft when I was at university, but so much has changed in the intervening
57 years, that has probably, too.

:-)

Yup that's inflation for you, I think the accurate conversion is 33.46'
now, but I was allowing for some wiggle room with my "~"

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 07/05/2019 17:11, charles wrote:
surely on a sealed system, the pressure will be the same throughout the
system.

Thats what I thought after JR's reply but googling does say height gives
a drop in pressure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2019 21:45, ss wrote:
On 07/05/2019 17:11, charles wrote:
surely on a sealed system, the pressure will be the same throughout the
system.

Thats what I thought after JR's reply but googling does say height gives
a drop in pressure.

A non-pressurised system will be at atmospheric pressure at the highest
point (header tank) and at atmospheric pressure plus the head of water
at the lowest point.

A pressurised system is no different, except that its "atmospheric"
pressure is higher.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2019 20:26, John Rumm wrote:
llowing for some wiggle room with my "~"

Well thast wot it meens innit - a wiggle symbol

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Although this is a bit academic, it might be of general interest to
someone. The International Standard Atmosphere defines sea level
pressure as 1013.25 hPa; in the bottom part of the atmosphere, this
decreases by approximately 1 hPa every 30 feet. The real-world sea-level
pressure varies daily between (very roughly) min and max of 980 and 1040
hPa, so that's between about 32.8 and 34.8 feet of water.
Here endeth the lesson ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Is that using metric water?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Yup ;-)

(now recompute for heavy water!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Radiator cold at top even after bleeding [email protected] UK diy 10 December 14th 06 10:25 AM
Radiator Bleeding/Topping Up Karl_W_UK UK diy 5 March 19th 06 04:53 PM
Radiator Bleeding/Topping Up Karl_W_UK Home Repair 5 March 19th 06 04:53 PM
Bleeding Radiator David UK diy 7 November 14th 05 07:39 PM
Cleaning or replacing self-bleeding radiator valve? [email protected] Home Repair 5 January 9th 05 08:13 PM