Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Installation of 3kw instantaneous handwash water heater...

Looking into fitting one of these at the far end of the house
where the run from hot water tank is excessive.

Found a 3kw one that looks ok.

Plumbing shouldn't be a problem.

Elecs - thinking 13a plugs are nono, so a spur to a FCU from a
nearby socket should do? Double pole switch?

Electrically, what do I need to check (& how) before proceeding?
Perhaps make sure the socket I would be spurring from is on a
circuit protected by a 32A breaker?
RCD "required"?

Er... Any other pointers please?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 04/05/2019 16:56, Jim K.. wrote:
Looking into fitting one of these at the far end of the house
where the run from hot water tank is excessive.

Found a 3kw one that looks ok.

Plumbing shouldn't be a problem.

Elecs - thinking 13a plugs are nono, so a spur to a FCU from a
nearby socket should do? Double pole switch?

Electrically, what do I need to check (& how) before proceeding?
Perhaps make sure the socket I would be spurring from is on a
circuit protected by a 32A breaker?
RCD "required"?

Er... Any other pointers please?

Just the one.

A undersink water heater is a lot better

eg

https://www.screwfix.com/p/3kw-15ltr/2371g

depending on your intended use.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 04/05/2019 16:56, Jim K.. wrote:
Looking into fitting one of these at the far end of the house
where the run from hot water tank is excessive.

Found a 3kw one that looks ok.

Plumbing shouldn't be a problem.

Elecs - thinking 13a plugs are nono, so a spur to a FCU from a
nearby socket should do? Double pole switch?

Electrically, what do I need to check (& how) before proceeding?
Perhaps make sure the socket I would be spurring from is on a
circuit protected by a 32A breaker?
RCD "required"?

Er... Any other pointers please?

Just the one.

A undersink water heater is a lot better

eg

https://www.screwfix.com/p/3kw-15ltr/2371g

depending on your intended use.

Mmm don't think I need 15 litres to wash me pandies?! (Plus the
spent keeping it hot)...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 04/05/2019 17:39, Jim K.. wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 04/05/2019 16:56, Jim K.. wrote:
Looking into fitting one of these at the far end of the house
where the run from hot water tank is excessive.

Found a 3kw one that looks ok.

Plumbing shouldn't be a problem.

Elecs - thinking 13a plugs are nono, so a spur to a FCU from a
nearby socket should do? Double pole switch?

Electrically, what do I need to check (& how) before proceeding?
Perhaps make sure the socket I would be spurring from is on a
circuit protected by a 32A breaker?
RCD "required"?

Er... Any other pointers please?

Just the one.

A undersink water heater is a lot better

eg

https://www.screwfix.com/p/3kw-15ltr/2371g

depending on your intended use.

Mmm don't think I need 15 litres to wash me pandies?! (Plus the £
spent keeping it hot)...

Kettle and washing up bowl?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 04/05/2019 17:39, Jim K.. wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 04/05/2019 16:56, Jim K.. wrote:
Looking into fitting one of these at the far end of the house
where the run from hot water tank is excessive.

Found a 3kw one that looks ok.

Plumbing shouldn't be a problem.

Elecs - thinking 13a plugs are nono, so a spur to a FCU from a
nearby socket should do? Double pole switch?

Electrically, what do I need to check (& how) before proceeding?
Perhaps make sure the socket I would be spurring from is on a
circuit protected by a 32A breaker?
RCD "required"?

Er... Any other pointers please?

Just the one.

A undersink water heater is a lot better

eg

https://www.screwfix.com/p/3kw-15ltr/2371g

depending on your intended use.

Mmm don't think I need 15 litres to wash me pandies?! (Plus the
spent keeping it hot)...

Kettle and washing up bowl?

Urine? C'mon!
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
On 04/05/2019 16:56, Jim K.. wrote:
Looking into fitting one of these at the far end of the house
where the run from hot water tank is excessive.

Found a 3kw one that looks ok.

Plumbing shouldn't be a problem.

Elecs - thinking 13a plugs are nono, so a spur to a FCU from a
nearby socket should do? Double pole switch?

Electrically, what do I need to check (& how) before proceeding?
Perhaps make sure the socket I would be spurring from is on a
circuit protected by a 32A breaker?
RCD "required"?

Er... Any other pointers please?

Just the one.

A undersink water heater is a lot better

eg

https://www.screwfix.com/p/3kw-15ltr/2371g

depending on your intended use.

Hmm, we have a long run from our unvented cylinder to our kitchen sink.
Theoretically, could one of these be plumbed to the hot supply, and if so,
what would standby annual running costs be like?

I dont mind paying a bit for more instant hot water in the kitchen, but
not if the insulation is poor and its gonna cost a lot to keep it warm.
(Having said that, it would be easy enough to reduce losses by putting it
on a time switch to run for 8 - 12 hours a day say).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
ARW wrote:
On 04/05/2019 16:56, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

I installed an 'under sink' water heater fed by the hot water supply a
year or so ago. It's one of those "why didn't we do it years ago"
things!

The main reason in our case for feeding it from the hot supply is that
our mains pressure is relatively high and requires all sorts of
silliness for this type of heater. Putting it in the hot feed (low
pressure, gravity from tank in loft) solved all the issues.

I'm thinking of putting another in an upstairs room which also suffers
from "hot water takes ages to get through".

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2019 20:05, Chris Green wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
ARW wrote:
On 04/05/2019 16:56, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

I did the same, no expansion valves or any other complication warranted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 04/05/2019 18:28, Jim K.. wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InR7tip2Izk

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

We had the same problem with an ensuite in an extension at the "wrong" end
of the house from the hot water source, and a pipe run of maybe 20 metres.

Initially a hot and cold run in 15mm PEX - shower delay to hot quite
reasonable, but hot tap in the basin took an eternity, esp. in winter.

Solution was a separate hot feed to basin in 10mm PEX, well insulated, which
reduced the delay to less than 40% of that with the 15mm. Flow to the tap,
with initial pressure (via pressure reduction valve) of 3.5 bar, perfectly
reasonable for hand washing.

Simple, cheap, no ongoing costs

Charles F

Tim+ wrote:
ARW wrote:
On 04/05/2019 16:56, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Charles F wrote:
We had the same problem with an ensuite in an extension at the "wrong" end
of the house from the hot water source, and a pipe run of maybe 20 metres.

Initially a hot and cold run in 15mm PEX - shower delay to hot quite
reasonable, but hot tap in the basin took an eternity, esp. in winter.

Solution was a separate hot feed to basin in 10mm PEX, well insulated, which
reduced the delay to less than 40% of that with the 15mm. Flow to the tap,
with initial pressure (via pressure reduction valve) of 3.5 bar, perfectly
reasonable for hand washing.

Simple, cheap, no ongoing costs

It still costs to heat the water. Depending on how much heat you
'lose' by heating the water in the pipe each time (agreed, it's less
with a smaller pipe) it could still be cheaper in the long run to have
'locally' heated water. There's also the cost of any wasted water to
take into account if you're on a meter, though I'd guess that's pretty
trivial.

Whatever, it's the lovely, near instant, availability that we like
with our under sink heater. Even if it was costing a little more
(which I doubt) we'd go for it. Initial cost was very little,
something like £70 I think and I plumbed it myself so that cost very
little indeed.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2019 19:04, Tim+ wrote:
ARW wrote:
On 04/05/2019 16:56, Jim K.. wrote:
Looking into fitting one of these at the far end of the house
where the run from hot water tank is excessive.

Found a 3kw one that looks ok.

It will be underpowered for the duty. 5-6kW will work OK.

Plumbing shouldn't be a problem.

Elecs - thinking 13a plugs are nono, so a spur to a FCU from a
nearby socket should do? Double pole switch?

Electrically, what do I need to check (& how) before proceeding?
Perhaps make sure the socket I would be spurring from is on a
circuit protected by a 32A breaker?
RCD "required"?

Er... Any other pointers please?

Just the one.

A undersink water heater is a lot better

eg

https://www.screwfix.com/p/3kw-15ltr/2371g

depending on your intended use.

Hmm, we have a long run from our unvented cylinder to our kitchen sink.
Theoretically, could one of these be plumbed to the hot supply, and if so,
what would standby annual running costs be like?

In the ballpark of 30-50W per unit continuous 24/7. We had this problem
in our VH when people left them on regularly (and there were several).
You could obviously cut this by 1/3 by using a timed switch. The water
stays reasonably hot overnight but it also warms the cupboard it is in.

The most annoying one being in the downstairs kitchen where people would
turn on the tap to "run warm" exhaust all the 15L of hot water to waste
and then complain that it was running cold. It was about 3m from the
mains supply and flash boiler would have been so much easier all round.

I dont mind paying a bit for more instant hot water in the kitchen, but
not if the insulation is poor and its gonna cost a lot to keep it warm.
(Having said that, it would be easy enough to reduce losses by putting it
on a time switch to run for 8 - 12 hours a day say).

It might be viable but you would also need to check that your cold
supply water pressure was within limits or add a non-return valve,
pressure adjuster and failure/overflow vent. In a place where instant
hot water is important and usage is intermittent they are OK but if a
decent high power supply is available I would go for a 6kW flash boiler.
(but not in a hard water area)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/19 17:20, ARW wrote:
On 04/05/2019 16:56, Jim K.. wrote:
Looking into fitting one of these at the far end of the house
where the run from hot water tank is excessive.

Found a 3kw one that looks ok.

Plumbing shouldn't be a problem.

Elecs - thinking 13a plugs are nono, so a spur to a FCU from a
nearby socket should do? Double pole switch?

Electrically, what do I need to check (& how) before proceeding?
Perhaps make sure the socket I would be spurring from is on a
circuit protected by a 32A breaker?
RCD "required"?

Er... Any other pointers please?

Just the one.

A undersink water heater is a lot better

eg

https://www.screwfix.com/p/3kw-15ltr/2371g

depending on your intended use.

Heh. There was an Ariston undersink heater in the garage when we moved
it. As soon as I switched it on it tripped the RCD. I took it apart but
couldn't see anything obviously wrong (element shorting to earth
maybe?). So it had to go.

I got it replaced with an instant-heat Triton. It was, and still is 6
years on, perfect for what I needed - just hand washing after getting
grubby in the garage or garden.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 05/05/2019 09:30, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 04/05/19 17:20, ARW wrote:
On 04/05/2019 16:56, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

Hence my reason for asking why Jim K wanted one.

Electrically he seems to have got everything in order.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/19 17:20, ARW wrote:
On 04/05/2019 16:56, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

Oh? I didn't realise you asked a question :-D
To be fair I only put a clue to intended use in the thread title ;-)

Electrically he seems to have got everything in order.

Ta :-)

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 04/05/2019 17:39, Jim K.. wrote:

Mmm don't think I need 15 litres to wash me pandies?! (Plus the £
spent keeping it hot)...

Pandies? Handies or panties?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 04/05/19 17:20, ARW wrote:
On 04/05/2019 16:56, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

Well my other post gave you the other option...

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB Wrote in message:
On 04/05/2019 17:39, Jim K.. wrote:

Mmm don't think I need 15 litres to wash me pandies?! (Plus the
spent keeping it hot)...

Pandies? Handies or panties?

C19: from Latin pande (manum) stretch out (the hand), from pandere
to spread or extend

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 04/05/19 17:20, ARW wrote:
On 04/05/2019 16:56, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

Indeed. More plumbing needed with the storage one, costs more to
buy & run... I'll start with the sprinkler & see how it
goes.
Cheers
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 04/05/19 17:20, ARW wrote:
On 04/05/2019 16:56, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

If it's a stainless steel sink & existing copper H & C supply
pipes, do I need to look at equipotential bonding?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 05/05/2019 17:02, Jim K.. wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 04/05/19 17:20, ARW wrote:
On 04/05/2019 16:56, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]

No. And unless it is a bathroom you can also forget supplementary bonding.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 05/05/2019 14:57, Jim K.. wrote:

Indeed. More plumbing needed with the storage one, costs more to
buy & run... I'll start with the sprinkler & see how it
goes.
Cheers

Personally, I think you should man up, and wash your hands with cold
water. I'm surprised none of the Yorkshire contingent have mentioned
this.

Whilst I'm being objectionable, DW sent me a Dad Joke:-

I googled the phrase missing medieval servant. It came back with page
not found".

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 05/05/2019 14:57, Jim K.. wrote:

Indeed. More plumbing needed with the storage one, costs more to
buy & run... I'll start with the sprinkler & see how it
goes.
Cheers

In Germany, they have massive instant hot water heaters. For example,
this shop stocks heaters up to 27kW, run off a three phase supply.

https://www.bauhaus.info/durchlaufer...334%3A21%5C+kW

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 05/05/2019 17:20, GB wrote:
On 05/05/2019 14:57, Jim K.. wrote:

Indeed. More plumbing needed with the storage one, costs more to
* buy & run... I'll start with the sprinkler & see how it
* goes.
Cheers

Personally, I think you should man up, and wash your hands with cold
water. I'm surprised none of the Yorkshire contingent have mentioned
this.

Whilst I'm being objectionable, DW sent me a Dad Joke:-

I googled the phrase missing medieval servant. It came back with page
not found".

What's all this nonsense about washing your hands?

Only girls wash their hands.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB Wrote in message:
On 05/05/2019 14:57, Jim K.. wrote:

Indeed. More plumbing needed with the storage one, costs more to
buy & run... I'll start with the sprinkler & see how it
goes.
Cheers

In Germany, they have massive instant hot water heaters. For example,
this shop stocks heaters up to 27kW, run off a three phase supply.

https://www.bauhaus.info/durchlaufer...334%3A21%5C+kW

"Useful many thanks"
:-\
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 04/05/2019 17:39, Jim K.. wrote:

Mmm don't think I need 15 litres to wash me pandies?! (Plus the £
spent keeping it hot)...

Pandies? Handies or panties?

He has pet pandas that he feeds haggises to, silly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 May 2019 17:53:41 +0100, ARW wrote:

Kettle and washing up bowl?

If I was fussed about washing hands in cold water that might be my
second option. Though I do like running water but am happy to wet
hands with cold, soap up etc, rinse in what is now hot water.

Wonder if you can get lower temperature bimetal discs for kettles so
it trips off at 50 C? I suspect not as most (jug type) seem to rely
on a steam path from the top of the kettle to the disc in the base.

Intended use is important. 3 kW is only enough umph to heat 1.5 l per
minute by 30 C. ie a from mains temp of 12 C to a "warm" 42 C, "hot"
I consider to be nearer 52 C. A 40 C rise pushes the flow down to 1.1
l/min.
In practical terms those flow rates will take 15 to 20 seconds to
fill a mug, I'm not convinced that is fast enough for a good rinse...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2019 09:44, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 4 May 2019 17:53:41 +0100, ARW wrote:

Kettle and washing up bowl?

If I was fussed about washing hands in cold water that might be my
second option. Though I do like running water but am happy to wet
hands with cold, soap up etc, rinse in what is now hot water.

Wonder if you can get lower temperature bimetal discs for kettles so
it trips off at 50 C? I suspect not as most (jug type) seem to rely
on a steam path from the top of the kettle to the disc in the base.

Intended use is important. 3 kW is only enough umph to heat 1.5 l per
minute by 30 C. ie a from mains temp of 12 C to a "warm" 42 C, "hot"
I consider to be nearer 52 C. A 40 C rise pushes the flow down to 1.1
l/min.
In practical terms those flow rates will take 15 to 20 seconds to
fill a mug, I'm not convinced that is fast enough for a good rinse...

I know an allotment user who in winter takes a vacuum flask with a litre
of hot water to defrost his hands after washing under the standpipe tap.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 May 2019 12:22:57 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Pandies? Handies or panties?

He has pet pandas that he feeds haggises to, silly.

PLEASE, spare everyone your senile "humour", you clinically insane, senile
pest!

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2019 14:55, Jim K.. wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
On 04/05/2019 17:39, Jim K.. wrote:

Mmm don't think I need 15 litres to wash me pandies?! (Plus the £
spent keeping it hot)...

Pandies? Handies or panties?

C19: from Latin pande (manum) stretch out (the hand), from pandere
to spread or extend

No it's from Andy Pandy.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 05/05/2019 20:38, Jim K.. wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
On 05/05/2019 14:57, Jim K.. wrote:

Indeed. More plumbing needed with the storage one, costs more to
buy & run... I'll start with the sprinkler & see how it
goes.
Cheers

In Germany, they have massive instant hot water heaters. For example,
this shop stocks heaters up to 27kW, run off a three phase supply.

https://www.bauhaus.info/durchlaufer...334%3A21%5C+kW

"Useful many thanks"
:-\

I think it's a bit interesting, as it allows plentiful instant hot
water, but without the snag you noted of heat losses from stored hot water.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 May 2019 09:44:14 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 4 May 2019 17:53:41 +0100, ARW wrote:

Kettle and washing up bowl?

If I was fussed about washing hands in cold water that might be my
second option. Though I do like running water but am happy to wet
hands with cold, soap up etc, rinse in what is now hot water.

Wonder if you can get lower temperature bimetal discs

of course

for kettles so
it trips off at 50 C? I suspect not as most (jug type) seem to rely
on a steam path from the top of the kettle to the disc in the base.

yes you'd need to mount it elsewhere. 40C should be ok.

Intended use is important. 3 kW is only enough umph to heat 1.5 l per
minute by 30 C. ie a from mains temp of 12 C to a "warm" 42 C, "hot"
I consider to be nearer 52 C. A 40 C rise pushes the flow down to 1.1
l/min.
In practical terms those flow rates will take 15 to 20 seconds to
fill a mug, I'm not convinced that is fast enough for a good rinse...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2019 17:53, ARW wrote:
On 04/05/2019 17:39, Jim K.. wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 04/05/2019 16:56, Jim K.. wrote:
Looking into fitting one of these at the far end of the house
** where the run from hot water tank is excessive.

Found a 3kw one that looks ok.

Plumbing shouldn't be a problem.

Elecs - thinking 13a plugs are nono, so a spur to a FCU from a
** nearby socket should do? Double pole switch?

Electrically, what do I need to check (& how) before proceeding?
Perhaps make sure the socket I would be spurring from is on a
** circuit protected by a 32A breaker?
RCD "required"?

Er... Any other pointers please?

Just the one.

A undersink water heater is a lot better

eg

https://www.screwfix.com/p/3kw-15ltr/2371g

depending on your intended use.

Mmm don't think I need 15 litres to wash me pandies?! (Plus the £
* spent keeping it hot)...

Kettle and washing up bowl?

Surely blokes never wash their hands after a pee ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Wrote in message:
On 04/05/2019 17:53, ARW wrote:
On 04/05/2019 17:39, Jim K.. wrote:
[...]