Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Question re loft water tank, plumbing

I am refurbishing the bathroom but getting a plumber to disconnect water
, I will then tile walls & floor remove sanitry ware and replace.
plumber has said that the only thing the loft water tank is feeding is
the cold water for the bathroom sink as I have a combi boiler (mains feed)
So, he is going to bypass the loft water tank and make it obsolete.
Does this sound the correct thing to do?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2019 22:02, ss wrote:
I am refurbishing the bathroom but getting a plumber to disconnect water
, I will then tile walls & floor remove sanitry ware and replace.
plumber has said that the only thing the loft water tank is feeding is
the cold water for the bathroom sink as I have a combi boiler (mains feed)
So, he is going to bypass the loft water tank and make it obsolete.
Does this sound the correct thing to do?

It is normal for mains to feed a wash basin.

The removal of the tank and its supply can only make your system more
reliable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx Wrote in message:
On 30/04/2019 22:02, ss wrote:
I am refurbishing the bathroom but getting a plumber to disconnect water
, I will then tile walls & floor remove sanitry ware and replace.
plumber has said that the only thing the loft water tank is feeding is
the cold water for the bathroom sink as I have a combi boiler (mains feed)
So, he is going to bypass the loft water tank and make it obsolete.
Does this sound the correct thing to do?

It is normal for mains to feed a wash basin.

In modern construction maybe...

The removal of the tank and its supply can only make your system more
reliable.

....and more sanitary.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2019 22:27, Jim K.. wrote:
Fredxx Wrote in message:
On 30/04/2019 22:02, ss wrote:
I am refurbishing the bathroom but getting a plumber to disconnect water
, I will then tile walls & floor remove sanitry ware and replace.
plumber has said that the only thing the loft water tank is feeding is
the cold water for the bathroom sink as I have a combi boiler (mains feed)
So, he is going to bypass the loft water tank and make it obsolete.
Does this sound the correct thing to do?

It is normal for mains to feed a wash basin.

In modern construction maybe...

During my 50-odd years, it has been typical of all the 1930's housing
around here for all the cold taps in the house to be mains fed, so not
really a modern thing.

The removal of the tank and its supply can only make your system more
reliable.

...and more sanitary.

Yes. I have always been used to being able to fill a glass with water in
the bathroom in the night.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker Wrote in message:
On 30/04/2019 22:27, Jim K.. wrote:
Fredxx Wrote in message:
On 30/04/2019 22:02, ss wrote:
I am refurbishing the bathroom but getting a plumber to disconnect water
, I will then tile walls & floor remove sanitry ware and replace.
plumber has said that the only thing the loft water tank is feeding is
the cold water for the bathroom sink as I have a combi boiler (mains feed)
So, he is going to bypass the loft water tank and make it obsolete.
Does this sound the correct thing to do?

It is normal for mains to feed a wash basin.

In modern construction maybe...

During my 50-odd years, it has been typical of all the 1930's housing
around here for all the cold taps in the house to be mains fed, so not
really a modern thing.

When did modern start? OP never mentions age of property...

I **** in the bog myself ;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
news
I am refurbishing the bathroom but getting a plumber to disconnect water ,
I will then tile walls & floor remove sanitry ware and replace. plumber
has said that the only thing the loft water tank is feeding is the cold
water for the bathroom sink as I have a combi boiler (mains feed)
So, he is going to bypass the loft water tank and make it obsolete.
Does this sound the correct thing to do?

Yep, not point in use a loft water tank if the mains delivers water fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 30 April 2019 22:02:30 UTC+1, ss wrote:

I am refurbishing the bathroom but getting a plumber to disconnect water
, I will then tile walls & floor remove sanitry ware and replace.
plumber has said that the only thing the loft water tank is feeding is
the cold water for the bathroom sink as I have a combi boiler (mains feed)
So, he is going to bypass the loft water tank and make it obsolete.
Does this sound the correct thing to do?

yes, it will make it safe to brush your teeth with it. Finding dead creatures in loft tanks is not too unusual.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 22:51:03 +0100
Steve Walker wrote:

During my 50-odd years, it has been typical of all the 1930's housing
around here for all the cold taps in the house to be mains fed, so
not really a modern thing.

In a couple of 1920s/30s houses I have occupied the only mains water was
at the kitchen sink, everything else came from a header tank in the
loft or airing cupboard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 30 April 2019 22:18:30 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
On 30/04/2019 22:02, ss wrote:
I am refurbishing the bathroom but getting a plumber to disconnect water
, I will then tile walls & floor remove sanitry ware and replace.
plumber has said that the only thing the loft water tank is feeding is
the cold water for the bathroom sink as I have a combi boiler (mains feed)
So, he is going to bypass the loft water tank and make it obsolete.
Does this sound the correct thing to do?

It is normal for mains to feed a wash basin.

The removal of the tank and its supply can only make your system more
reliable.

Combi boilers are more efficient in energy use than the traditional system of stored hot water.
There are no other benefits.
They are more expensive to install and maintain and less reliable.
They preclude solar hot water generation as storage is needed.
If you have an existing traditional system, probably best retained and maintained in the longer term.

In a few years combi-boilers will be illegal and obsolete, new legislation/technology is in the pipeline.
I expect existing installations won't be affected except maybe in respect of spare parts availability.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 May 2019 01:43:50 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, 30 April 2019 22:02:30 UTC+1, ss wrote:

I am refurbishing the bathroom but getting a plumber to disconnect water
, I will then tile walls & floor remove sanitry ware and replace.
plumber has said that the only thing the loft water tank is feeding is
the cold water for the bathroom sink as I have a combi boiler (mains feed)
So, he is going to bypass the loft water tank and make it obsolete.
Does this sound the correct thing to do?

yes, it will make it safe to brush your teeth with it. Finding dead creatures in loft tanks is not too unusual.

NT

Only in the ones (illegally) with no cover.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2019 22:02, ss wrote:
I am refurbishing the bathroom but getting a plumber to disconnect water
, I will then tile walls & floor remove sanitry ware and replace.
plumber has said that the only thing the loft water tank is feeding is
the cold water for the bathroom sink as I have a combi boiler (mains feed)
So, he is going to bypass the loft water tank and make it obsolete.
Does this sound the correct thing to do?

It is normal for mains to feed a wash basin.

The removal of the tank and its supply can only make your system more
reliable.

Combi boilers are more efficient in energy use than the traditional system of stored hot water.
There are no other benefits.
They are more expensive to install and maintain and less reliable.
They preclude solar hot water generation as storage is needed.

All solar systems require some form of storage. They can also preheat
the cold water feed into the boiler.

If you have an existing traditional system, probably best retained and maintained in the longer term.

In a few years combi-boilers will be illegal and obsolete, new legislation/technology is in the pipeline.
I expect existing installations won't be affected except maybe in respect of spare parts availability.

That will depend on when the fuel mix for electricity generation will
create less CO2 than the direct burning of gas for the same heat output.
It's not going to happen for a long time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2019 22:02, ss wrote:
I am refurbishing the bathroom but getting a plumber to disconnect
water
, I will then tile walls & floor remove sanitry ware and replace.
plumber has said that the only thing the loft water tank is feeding is
the cold water for the bathroom sink as I have a combi boiler (mains
feed)
So, he is going to bypass the loft water tank and make it obsolete.
Does this sound the correct thing to do?

It is normal for mains to feed a wash basin.

The removal of the tank and its supply can only make your system more
reliable.

Combi boilers are more efficient in energy use
than the traditional system of stored hot water.

Only in theory. In practice stored hot water is now
so cheap to insulate very effectively that there isnt
a lot of efficiency difference anymore and stored
hot water, particularly when electrically powered
is a hell of a lot simpler and less of a maintenance
cost if you arent using the combi for house heating.

There are no other benefits.

They are more expensive to install and maintain and less reliable.

Yes.

They preclude solar hot water generation as storage is needed.
If you have an existing traditional system, probably
best retained and maintained in the longer term.

In a few years combi-boilers will be illegal and obsolete, new
legislation/technology is in the pipeline.
I expect existing installations won't be affected except maybe in respect
of spare parts availability.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 May 2019 17:16:52 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Combi boilers are more efficient in energy use
than the traditional system of stored hot water.

Only in theory. In practice

Ah! The senile auto-contradictor "strikes" again! LOL

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 May 2019 09:53:28 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I am refurbishing the bathroom but getting a plumber to disconnect water ,
I will then tile walls & floor remove sanitry ware and replace. plumber
has said that the only thing the loft water tank is feeding is the cold
water for the bathroom sink as I have a combi boiler (mains feed)
So, he is going to bypass the loft water tank and make it obsolete.
Does this sound the correct thing to do?

Yep, not point in use a loft water tank if the mains delivers water fine.

His question was already answered, senile idiot! Just what makes you believe
that anyone's answer only becomes valid when YOU confirm it? Are you not
quite right in the head?

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
During my 50-odd years, it has been typical of all the 1930's housing
around here for all the cold taps in the house to be mains fed, so not
really a modern thing.

Seems to vary area by area. No need for the cold to the bath and toilet to
come from the mains. And depending on water pressure, you might get a
faster filling bath if fed from a header tank and storage system.

--
*War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
news
I am refurbishing the bathroom but getting a plumber to disconnect water ,
I will then tile walls & floor remove sanitry ware and replace. plumber has
said that the only thing the loft water tank is feeding is the cold water
for the bathroom sink as I have a combi boiler (mains feed)
So, he is going to bypass the loft water tank and make it obsolete.
Does this sound the correct thing to do?

good move until the water is cut off for some reason......is it not feeding
the cludgy and bath as well?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2019 22:27, Jim K.. wrote:
Fredxx Wrote in message:
On 30/04/2019 22:02, ss wrote:
[...]

hope you don't have lead puipes......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 22:18:24 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

On 30/04/2019 22:02, ss wrote:
I am refurbishing the bathroom but getting a plumber to disconnect water
, I will then tile walls & floor remove sanitry ware and replace.
plumber has said that the only thing the loft water tank is feeding is
the cold water for the bathroom sink as I have a combi boiler (mains feed)
So, he is going to bypass the loft water tank and make it obsolete.
Does this sound the correct thing to do?

It is normal for mains to feed a wash basin.

The removal of the tank and its supply can only make your system more
reliable.

However I've just had to turn the water off and its very handy to
still have the toilet flush refill and a basin to wash my hands.

Plus, see other thread, my tap washers on the low pressure feeds are
fine.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
The removal of the tank and its supply can only make your system more
reliable.

However I've just had to turn the water off and its very handy to
still have the toilet flush refill and a basin to wash my hands.

Also useful if your water is cut off even temporarily. That cold water
boiled is safe to use for anything.

--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 30 April 2019 22:02:30 UTC+1, ss wrote:

I am refurbishing the bathroom but getting a plumber to disconnect
water , I will then tile walls & floor remove sanitry ware and
replace. plumber has said that the only thing the loft water tank is
feeding is the cold water for the bathroom sink as I have a combi
boiler (mains feed) So, he is going to bypass the loft water tank and
make it obsolete. Does this sound the correct thing to do?

yes, it will make it safe to brush your teeth with it. Finding dead
creatures in loft tanks is not too unusual.

Never thought of putting a cover on it to keep your cats out?

--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

During my 50-odd years, it has been typical of all the 1930's housing
around here for all the cold taps in the house to be mains fed, so
not really a modern thing.

In a couple of 1920s/30s houses I have occupied the only mains water was
at the kitchen sink, everything else came from a header tank in the
loft or airing cupboard.

Our 1948 council house was like that.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If the header tank is an old galvanised type then I would take the opportunity to get rid of a potential future leak hazard.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2019 14:59, George Miles wrote:
Is a pressure reducing valve a good idea on direct mains water to sinks, does it mean less drips from taps?

just tell the wife to stop crushing the washers......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2019 22:02, ss wrote:
I am refurbishing the bathroom but getting a plumber to disconnect water
, I will then tile walls & floor remove sanitry ware and replace.
plumber has said that the only thing the loft water tank is feeding is
the cold water for the bathroom sink as I have a combi boiler (mains feed)
So, he is going to bypass the loft water tank and make it obsolete.
Does this sound the correct thing to do?

It is normal for mains to feed a wash basin.

The removal of the tank and its supply can only make your system more
reliable.

Combi boilers are more efficient in energy use than the traditional system of stored hot water.
There are no other benefits.

Not quite true. That float valve in the tank might one day decide to to
drive you mad with water hammer, which will almost certainly not be
fixed until you change the mains supply flow rate (if you can actually
move the stopcock...).

They are more expensive to install and maintain and less reliable.
They preclude solar hot water generation as storage is needed.
If you have an existing traditional system, probably best retained and maintained in the longer term.

Definitely true if the boiler is showing its age. It will eventually
fail at the start of a holiday weekend when you won't be able to get it
fixed. Only those with an immersion heater in the tank will be able to
get some nice hot water for a shower or bath.

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 May 2019 07:56:11 UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 1 May 2019 01:43:50 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
On Tuesday, 30 April 2019 22:02:30 UTC+1, ss wrote:

I am refurbishing the bathroom but getting a plumber to disconnect water
, I will then tile walls & floor remove sanitry ware and replace.
plumber has said that the only thing the loft water tank is feeding is
the cold water for the bathroom sink as I have a combi boiler (mains feed)
So, he is going to bypass the loft water tank and make it obsolete.
Does this sound the correct thing to do?

yes, it will make it safe to brush your teeth with it. Finding dead creatures in loft tanks is not too unusual.

NT

Only in the ones (illegally) with no cover.

no, animals show up in covered tanks too

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
The removal of the tank and its supply can only make your system more
reliable.

However I've just had to turn the water off and its very handy to
still have the toilet flush refill and a basin to wash my hands.

Also useful if your water is cut off even temporarily. That cold water
boiled is safe to use for anything.

Not necessarily when its only brought to the boil and used immediately.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2019 22:02, ss wrote:
I am refurbishing the bathroom but getting a plumber to disconnect water
, I will then tile walls & floor remove sanitry ware and replace.
plumber has said that the only thing the loft water tank is feeding is
the cold water for the bathroom sink as I have a combi boiler (mains feed)
So, he is going to bypass the loft water tank and make it obsolete.
Does this sound the correct thing to do?

Basically yes, but depends on whether you are happy with your combi. If
you think you might want to change to a system boiler with a hot water
tank, or putting in solar heating for DHW you will need a (small) loft
header tank. A lot also depends on the age and structure of the house
and the age of the plumbing. Keeping a cold feed into the loft is
something else to go wrong, but might save disruption if you need one later.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On Thu, 2 May 2019 06:33:32 +1000, 2987pl, better known as cantankerous

Also useful if your water is cut off even temporarily. That cold water
boiled is safe to use for anything.

Not necessarily

....and the senile asshole does it, AGAIN! LOL

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2019 22:27, Jim K.. wrote:
Fredxx Wrote in message:
On 30/04/2019 22:02, ss wrote:
[...]

None left connected in the house (a few old disconnected ones under the
floor). The feed to the house is still lead, but only from the pavement
to a foot or so into the house and a) one flush of the toilet will clear
that out and b) the water is dosed with orthophosphates, which reduce
the disolving of lead to below the required limits.

I know for sure that they do "b)" here, as I designed some of the
control panels for it.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 May 2019 06:33:32 +1000, 2987pl wrote:

The removal of the tank and its supply can only make your system

more
reliable.

Only until the water supply is interupted by maintenance (you or the
water co) or another utility putting a JCB bucket through the pipes.
Then you have the problem of the muddy water getting into your system
when it comes back on. I've managed to arrange things so that after
the rising main stop cock all but one tap can be isolated from the
rising main.

However I've just had to turn the water off and its very handy to
still have the toilet flush refill and a basin to wash my hands.

Yep.

Also useful if your water is cut off even temporarily. That cold

water
boiled is safe to use for anything.

Until fairly recently *all* our water went through loft tanks, no
special precautions. Never a problem with jippy tum and that includes
the period after we moved in and before I cleaned the tanks out of
various dead insects and mouse and fitted proper covers.

Of course with all our water going through the tanks (150 gallons) it
wasn't hanging around for long and fresh mains chlorinated water was
constantly replenishing them. I shall maintain some stored water
here, maybe only 50 gallons but will ensure that tank feeds things
that are use a reasonable volume of water most of the time, like a
commonly used loo or two.

Not necessarily when its only brought to the boil and used immediately..

The cryptosporidium parasite needs 10 mins fast boil to be sure. Have
had to do that for two or three weeks when it was found in a borehole
supplying our water down in St Albans. ISTR that the water co sent
cheques for £10 or £20 to pay for the extra energy used.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
The removal of the tank and its supply can only make your system more
reliable.

However I've just had to turn the water off and its very handy to
still have the toilet flush refill and a basin to wash my hands.

Also useful if your water is cut off even temporarily. That cold water
boiled is safe to use for anything.

Not necessarily when its only brought to the boil and used immediately.

I'm sure in your country it's better to stick with bottled water for
everything.

--
*I started out with nothing... and I still have most of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
The removal of the tank and its supply can only make your system more
reliable.

However I've just had to turn the water off and its very handy to
still have the toilet flush refill and a basin to wash my hands.

Also useful if your water is cut off even temporarily. That cold water
boiled is safe to use for anything.

Not necessarily when its only brought to the boil and used immediately.

I'm sure in your country it's better to stick with bottled water for
everything.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" Wrote in message:
[...]

Or a waft past a UV water steriliser...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 May 2019 22:13:35 +1000, 2987pl, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

I'm sure in your country it's better to stick with bottled water for
everything.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

You certainly KEEP bull****ting your way into your grave, FAST, you
85-year-old senile pest!

little ignorant ****."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2019 22:02, ss wrote:
[...]

Oh yes it is.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8821941.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 May 2019 14:59:43 UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
Is a pressure reducing valve a good idea on direct mains water to sinks, does it mean less drips from taps?

Some visitors dont tighten mine far enough

George

On Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at 10:02:30 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:
I am refurbishing the bathroom but getting a plumber to disconnect water
, I will then tile walls & floor remove sanitry ware and replace.
plumber has said that the only thing the loft water tank is feeding is
the cold water for the bathroom sink as I have a combi boiler (mains feed)
So, he is going to bypass the loft water tank and make it obsolete.
Does this sound the correct thing to do?

On large water systems on large sites PRVs are often fitted to reduce pressure to the absolute minimum. This reduces losses from any (underground)leaks and also reduces usage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2019 22:02, ss wrote:
[...]

That doesn't mean its going to happen, like Teresa May's promises that a
bad deal is worse than no deal and we're leaving on the 29th March.

Have we left yet? I think Transco might have a say too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2019 12:37, AnthonyL wrote:
However I've just had to turn the water off and its very handy to
still have the toilet flush refill and a basin to wash my hands.

We've had an upstairs bathroom fitted, and the old (only) downstairs
bathroom converted into a shower.

I made sure the upstairs cold is straight off the (softened) mains, so
we can clean our teeth. (I wouldn't drink much of it).

The downstairs, OTOH, is all fed from the tank. So we can flush the
toilet, wash hands, and not confuse the shower's TRV with vastly
different pressures even when the mains water is off.

Andy