Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Realistic claims for solar pv

On Friday, 3 May 2019 21:58:58 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 03/05/2019 07:50, harry wrote:
On Thursday, 2 May 2019 21:49:55 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 01/05/2019 07:24, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 30 April 2019 21:19:55 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 30/04/2019 19:12, harry wrote:
Drivel.
The wind blows all the time. It just moves about. Maters are improving as the East West grid is built up.

Tell me Harry, why don't we use sailing ships any more?

Andy

The same reason.
Because the wind moves about ****-fer brains.
I obviously am dense, if rather better mannered than you.

If the wind blows all the time why don't we use sailing ships?

(BTW I race small boats. Every decent Wednesday in the summer. Yesterday
I went to the pub instead)

Andy

Yes, you ARE dense. And your comprehension is poor. There was probably excellent sailing off the coast of Norway at that time. Or even Ireland

Surprised your knowledge of how our weather is driven is so limited.

Let's suppose there was decent wind off the coast of Norway at the time.

How would that help a ship in the Channel?

Or a windfarm there for that matter...

Because, **** fer brains, the wind turbines are linked on an electricity grid covering the entire area.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/2019 13:03, TOJ wrote:
On Fri, 03 May 2019 08:35:07 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

As it is to be left for the heat produced to fall, it cannot be put into
a permanent repository for 50 years, so there isn't exactly a rush to
get one built!

Is there no way that heat could be safely used to provide something like
district heating or to power a Stirling engined electricity generator?

Of copurse but why norher?
far far more hest in the cooling water of an operational reactior

Or indeed the outflow from any thermal power station.

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people

Peter Thompson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/2019 21:58, Vir Campestris wrote:
As you don't seem to get the hint I'll tell you - the reason why they
"shed their sails like autumn leaves at the turning of the wheel" is
that a steam ship can run to a schedule, which no sailing ship can manage.

The reasons for the demise of sails are three fold.
(1) as you say, jourmey times become predictable
(2) Journey times are vastly reduced. A clipper ship may have been
capable of 25 knots,but the average speed was nearer to 5... a tramp
steamer doing 7 was better.
(2) Manning. A clipper ship took a crew of about 40 to run the sailsl
whereas an an engineer wnd two stokers was enough for a steam engine.

The aboilty bot to end up on lee shores was alos good.

Rememvber as with jet aircraft less maintenance cost and faster journey
timnes means far far higher miles per invested pound.

Better return on investment.

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people
by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason they are
poor.

Peter Thompson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2019 10:01, Tim Streater wrote:

On Tuesday, 30 April 2019 21:19:55 UTC+1, Vir CampestrisÂ* wrote:
[...]

Ah, so you propose the Soviet model then - build enough so that any
drawbacks are disguised.

Poor old harry. third rate one dimensional qualitative mind.

Never heard of Kirchoff...

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

And IAC someone posted upthread a map of light winds over the whole of
Western Europe.

As you don't seem to get the hint I'll tell you - the reason why they
"shed their sails like autumn leaves at the turning of the wheel" is
that a steam ship can run to a schedule, which no sailing ship can manage.

Andy

The project is not about "helping wind farms."
It's about generating electricity wherever the wind is blowing and transporting it to where needed.

The main problem is the low utilisation factor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 May 2019 13:03:22 UTC+1, TOJ wrote:
On Fri, 03 May 2019 08:35:07 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

As it is to be left for the heat produced to fall, it cannot be put into
a permanent repository for 50 years, so there isn't exactly a rush to
get one built!

Is there no way that heat could be safely used to provide something like
district heating or to power a Stirling engined electricity generator?

--
TOJ.

It has been done in the past
The economics don't work out for waste heat systems.The heat is not needed in Summer and means has be additionally provided to "dump" it.

With non-waste heat systems nobody has solved the problem of losses in the distribution pipework.
Small gas boilers dotted about the place.were always cheaper and more efficient.

There's the possibility district heating might come back when gas boilers are banned a few years from now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TOJ TOJ is offline

On Sat, 04 May 2019 08:56:16 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Of course but why bother?

Because it's free (waste) heat?

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 May 2019 13:19:11 UTC+1, TOJ wrote:
On Sat, 04 May 2019 08:56:16 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Of course but why bother?

Because it's free (waste) heat?

--
TOJ.

Not needed in Summer Therfore alternative means of disposal are needed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2019 13:19, TOJ wrote:
On Sat, 04 May 2019 08:56:16 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Of course but why bother?

Because it's free (waste) heat?

It isnt free.

Anymore than solar power or wind power are free or any freer than coal
oil gas or uranium

All of these things are 'free' until you actually want them at a given
location doing something useful.

Then you start to count the cost.

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people
by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason they are
poor.

Peter Thompson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2019 14:04, Chris Hogg wrote:
All you need is a cat's cradle of massive cables crisscrossing the
globe, carrying zettawatts of power, installed at vast expense and
drain on resources, for the occasions when they're actually needed
(assuming, that is, that the people at the supply end have and can
spare the surplus power), when all you need is a limited number of
reliable sources of power at home that run 24/7.

Great placve top crash teh next 911 plane. straight into the
transcontinental grid

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people
by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason they are
poor.

Peter Thompson

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TOJ TOJ is offline

On Sat, 04 May 2019 17:25:38 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It isnt free.

So it's just waste then. Perhaps if we ignore it it will go away

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TOJ" wrote in message
On Fri, 03 May 2019 08:35:07 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

As it is to be left for the heat produced to fall, it cannot be put into
a permanent repository for 50 years, so there isn't exactly a rush to
get one built!

Is there no way that heat could be safely used to provide something like
district heating or to power a Stirling engined electricity generator?

Yes it can, but its better to just refuel the nuke.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 May 2019 14:57:59 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"TOJ" wrote in message
On Fri, 03 May 2019 08:35:07 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

As it is to be left for the heat produced to fall, it cannot be put into
a permanent repository for 50 years, so there isn't exactly a rush to
get one built!

Is there no way that heat could be safely used to provide something like
district heating or to power a Stirling engined electricity generator?

Yes it can, but its better to just refuel the nuke.

His question was already answered by several posters, you obnoxious senile
pest! Just what in hell makes you believe any answers only become valid when
YOU confirm them, you self-important, self-opinionated asshole from Oz?

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

The main problem is how comprehensively they pollute the visual environment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TOJ" wrote in message
On Sat, 04 May 2019 08:56:16 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Of course but why bother?

Because it's free (waste) heat?

But has the massive downside of being
nuisance unwanted heat in summer.

Makes much more sense to use the waste
heat from the nuke itself in winter and
keep dumping it the way it is now in summer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2019 14:04, Chris Hogg wrote:
All you need is a cat's cradle of massive cables crisscrossing the
globe, carrying zettawatts of power, installed at vast expense and
drain on resources, for the occasions when they're actually needed
(assuming, that is, that the people at the supply end have and can
spare the surplus power), when all you need is a limited number of
reliable sources of power at home that run 24/7.

Great placve top crash teh next 911 plane.

There wont be any more 911 planes, no one will
actually be stupid enough to let any hijackers into the
cockpit anymore, they will be kicked to death instead.

straight into the
transcontinental grid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 May 2019 04:52:47 +1000, 2987pl, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

Great placve top crash teh next 911 plane.

There wont be any more 911 planes, no one will
actually be stupid enough to let any hijackers into the
cockpit anymore, they will be kicked to death instead.

Pathological auto-contradicting asshole! tsk

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 May 2019 04:21:39 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

The project is not about "helping wind farms."
It's about generating electricity wherever the wind is blowing and
transporting it to where needed.

The main problem is the low utilisation factor.

The main problem is how comprehensively they pollute the visual environment.

The main problem here is that you are an auto-contradicting,
self-opinionated and self-important asshole, senile Rodent!

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 May 2019 04:36:27 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Because it's free (waste) heat?

But has the massive downside of being
nuisance unwanted heat in summer.

Makes much more sense to use the waste
heat from the nuke itself in winter and
keep dumping it the way it is now in summer.

LOL Auto-contradicting senile asshole!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 May 2019 17:26:57 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 04/05/2019 14:04, Chris Hogg wrote:
All you need is a cat's cradle of massive cables crisscrossing the
globe, carrying zettawatts of power, installed at vast expense and
drain on resources, for the occasions when they're actually needed
(assuming, that is, that the people at the supply end have and can
spare the surplus power), when all you need is a limited number of
reliable sources of power at home that run 24/7.

Great placve top crash teh next 911 plane. straight into the
transcontinental grid

Full of ****e as usual.
All electricity grids automatically isolate any fault.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Saturday, 4 May 2019 17:26:57 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 04/05/2019 14:04, Chris Hogg wrote:
All you need is a cat's cradle of massive cables crisscrossing the
globe, carrying zettawatts of power, installed at vast expense and
drain on resources, for the occasions when they're actually needed
(assuming, that is, that the people at the supply end have and can
spare the surplus power), when all you need is a limited number of
reliable sources of power at home that run 24/7.

Great placve top crash teh next 911 plane. straight into the
transcontinental grid

Full of ****e as usual.

We'll see...

All electricity grids automatically isolate any fault.

But not all of them have redundant links over wide areas as we discovered.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry wrote:
On Saturday, 4 May 2019 17:26:57 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 04/05/2019 14:04, Chris Hogg wrote:
All you need is a cat's cradle of massive cables crisscrossing the
globe, carrying zettawatts of power, installed at vast expense and
drain on resources, for the occasions when they're actually needed
(assuming, that is, that the people at the supply end have and can
spare the surplus power), when all you need is a limited number of
reliable sources of power at home that run 24/7.

Great placve top crash teh next 911 plane. straight into the
transcontinental grid

Full of ****e as usual.
All electricity grids automatically isolate any fault.

and, as a result, blacked out New York for a number of hours a few years
ago.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

2987pl wrote:

On 04/05/2019 14:04, Chris Hogg wrote:
All you need is a cat's cradle of massive cables crisscrossing the
globe, carrying zettawatts of power, installed at vast expense and
drain on resources, for the occasions when they're actually needed
(assuming, that is, that the people at the supply end have and can
spare the surplus power), when all you need is a limited number of
reliable sources of power at home that run 24/7.

Great placve top crash teh next 911 plane.

There wont be any more 911 planes, no one will
actually be stupid enough to let any hijackers into the
cockpit anymore, they will be kicked to death instead.

The mistake is to underestimate the technical ability behind the
international terror groups.
The main on the ground fighters may well be recruited from goat herders but
somewhere they will have a team
capable of assembling an unmanned aerial vehicle and launching it .
Even a substantial drone purchased in a hobby store could drop something
chemical into somewhere like
the super bowl final and achieve something drastic.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 May 2019 16:53:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Full of ****e as usual.

We'll see...

We'll see you trolling here like there was no tomorrow, you abnormal
85-year-old senile pest!

--
dennis@home to retarded senile Rot:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Marland" wrote in message
2987pl wrote:

On 04/05/2019 14:04, Chris Hogg wrote:
All you need is a cat's cradle of massive cables crisscrossing the
globe, carrying zettawatts of power, installed at vast expense and
drain on resources, for the occasions when they're actually needed
(assuming, that is, that the people at the supply end have and can
spare the surplus power), when all you need is a limited number of
reliable sources of power at home that run 24/7.

Great placve top crash teh next 911 plane.

There wont be any more 911 planes, no one will
actually be stupid enough to let any hijackers into the
cockpit anymore, they will be kicked to death instead.

The mistake is to underestimate the technical
ability behind the international terror groups.

We'll see...

The main on the ground fighters may
well be recruited from goat herders

No one herds goats anymore.

but somewhere they will have a team capable of assembling
an unmanned aerial vehicle and launching it .

Nothing even remotely like a modern heavy aircraft they wont.

Even a substantial drone purchased in a hobby store
could drop something chemical into somewhere like
the super bowl final and achieve something drastic.

Fat lot of effect that would have on a power grid, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:

"Marland" wrote in message
2987pl wrote:

On 04/05/2019 14:04, Chris Hogg wrote:
All you need is a cat's cradle of massive cables crisscrossing the
globe, carrying zettawatts of power, installed at vast expense and
drain on resources, for the occasions when they're actually needed
(assuming, that is, that the people at the supply end have and can
spare the surplus power), when all you need is a limited number of
reliable sources of power at home that run 24/7.

Great placve top crash teh next 911 plane.

There wont be any more 911 planes, no one will
actually be stupid enough to let any hijackers into the
cockpit anymore, they will be kicked to death instead.

The mistake is to underestimate the technical
ability behind the international terror groups.

We'll see...

The main on the ground fighters may
well be recruited from goat herders

No one herds goats anymore.

I saw goats being herded in Morocco last week.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 May 2019 19:27:02 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the clinically insane auto-contradicting senile asshole's latest
auto-contradicting session

....and much better air in here!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2019 10:59, charles wrote:
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:

"Marland" wrote in message
2987pl wrote:

[...]

....and I'd wager there are people using drones to herd their goats.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:

"Marland" wrote in message
2987pl wrote:

[...]

But they don’t recruit terrorists from the microscopic
number of remaining goat herders.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 7 May 2019 04:01:43 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

No one herds goats anymore.

I saw goats being herded in Morocco last week.

But they don¢t recruit terrorists from the microscopic
number of remaining goat herders.

His post was an answer to your BLATANT LIE that "no one herds goats
anymore", you pathological LIAR!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2019 11:33, Robin wrote:
...and I'd wager there are people using drones to herd their goats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8mXL2JapWM

(OK, it's sheep. And it doesn't get going until about 1:20)

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
On 06/05/2019 11:33, Robin wrote:
...and I'd wager there are people using drones to herd their goats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8mXL2JapWM

(OK, it's sheep. And it doesn't get going until about 1:20)

Thats not herding, thats just moving them around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 7 May 2019 12:42:39 +1000, 2987pl, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

...and I'd wager there are people using drones to herd their goats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8mXL2JapWM

(OK, it's sheep. And it doesn't get going until about 1:20)

That¢s not herding, that¢s just moving them around.

Good Lord! What an abnormal auto-contradicting senile ASSHOLE! tsk