Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Support for hammock

A friend wants to use a tree in her garden (about 7€ diameter) and an
existing 4€*4€ fencepost to support her hammock.

I think the tree will be okay but I have grave doubts about the wisdom of
using the fence post. Now the angle of pull will be at about 45 degrees to
the fence so its not going to pull it straight over but my gut feeling is
that this isnt a good idea.

What would be €œadequate€ dimensions for a post to support one end of a
hammock. My friend doesnt weigh much but I think it ought to be over
specced to cope with occasional abuse by offspring.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:

A friend wants to use a tree in her garden (about 7? diameter) and an
existing 4?*4? fencepost to support her hammock.

I think the tree will be okay but I have grave doubts about the wisdom of
using the fence post. Now the angle of pull will be at about 45 degrees to
the fence so it?s not going to pull it straight over but my gut feeling is
that this isn?t a good idea.

What would be ?adequate? dimensions for a post to support one end of a
hammock. My friend doesn?t weigh much but I think it ought to be over
specced to cope with occasional abuse by offspring.

Tim

I reckon it will more be questions of the condition of & how well
anchored is the post? I doubt a person or two in a hammock so
attached will snap a good condition 4x4 fencepost, but start it
leaning /uproot because of barely adequate foundations? - yes
highly likely imho.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Apr 2019 17:01:41 GMT
Tim+ wrote:

A friend wants to use a tree in her garden (about 7€ diameter) and an
existing 4€*4€ fencepost to support her hammock.

I think the tree will be okay but I have grave doubts about the
wisdom of using the fence post. Now the angle of pull will be at
about 45 degrees to the fence so its not going to pull it straight
over but my gut feeling is that this isnt a good idea.

What would be €œadequate€ dimensions for a post to support one end of a
hammock. My friend doesnt weigh much but I think it ought to be over
specced to cope with occasional abuse by offspring.

I'd be more inclined to put a rope around the bottom of the fence post
and interpose an A-frame (I use a couple of stout branches roped
together) to provide the lift. This works with bits of hedge that
provide a secure anchor at ground level but would never manage support
at hammock height. Or you could add a diagonal brace to the fence
post. Having said that I've just ordered a hammock with a tubular
steel stand as a more flexible option - much easier to place it
wherever you want without having to find tie-down points.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Morley wrote:
On 22 Apr 2019 17:01:41 GMT
Tim+ wrote:

A friend wants to use a tree in her garden (about 7€ diameter) and an
existing 4€*4€ fencepost to support her hammock.

I think the tree will be okay but I have grave doubts about the
wisdom of using the fence post. Now the angle of pull will be at
about 45 degrees to the fence so its not going to pull it straight
over but my gut feeling is that this isnt a good idea.

What would be €œadequate€ dimensions for a post to support one end of a
hammock. My friend doesnt weigh much but I think it ought to be over
specced to cope with occasional abuse by offspring.

I'd be more inclined to put a rope around the bottom of the fence post
and interpose an A-frame (I use a couple of stout branches roped
together) to provide the lift.

Thats a good idea. Ta.

This works with bits of hedge that
provide a secure anchor at ground level but would never manage support
at hammock height. Or you could add a diagonal brace to the fence
post.

Not possible without ruining the look of the new fence.

Having said that I've just ordered a hammock with a tubular
steel stand as a more flexible option - much easier to place it
wherever you want without having to find tie-down points.

But then you either have to store or look at a slowly rusting frame all the
time. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2019 18:01, Tim+ wrote:

A friend wants to use a tree in her garden (about 7€ diameter) and an
existing 4€*4€ fencepost to support her hammock.

I think the tree will be okay but I have grave doubts about the wisdom of
using the fence post. Now the angle of pull will be at about 45 degrees to
the fence so its not going to pull it straight over but my gut feeling is
that this isnt a good idea.

What would be €œadequate€ dimensions for a post to support one end of a
hammock. My friend doesnt weigh much but I think it ought to be over
specced to cope with occasional abuse by offspring.

Tim

For wire fencing, you would normally take a diagonal brace down to the
ground on the tension side. If not, a lot will depend on the ground, and
how deep the post goes. In general the problem with tension applied to
an unbraced post is that the bending moment at ground level adds tensile
stresses to one side, and this is where rot will attack preferrentially.

My horse paddock has a "wavy" boundary along a stream, so that quite a
few posts have a net force perpendicular to the fence line, and it is
noticeable that these do not last so long. Also, in one long-ish snowy
winter I attached haynets to half a dozen posts (also applying a similar
bending moment). I had to replace them all in the next year or two.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And of course you say the tree is OK but exactly how is it going to be
attached. You don't want to damage the tree and in a gale some fruit trees
do break away and fall over so really be careful. In any case as its a
hammock I envisage more than one case of falling out onto the ground since
they are not the most stable of things to get into and out of or indeed very
good for the back generally.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...

hammock question SteveB Home Repair 6 March 27th 14 05:29 PM
INSPIRATION - Pet Hammock J T Woodworking 0 September 18th 05 04:26 AM
What size steel beam to hang hammock? bob smith Metalworking 23 June 23rd 05 11:40 PM
hammock question SteveB Metalworking 3 March 30th 05 08:21 PM
Tinted hammock-style furnace filter Joey Goldstein Home Repair 6 November 29th 04 09:54 PM