Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bleaching tableware - ? - !

Having a mug of tea with a mate the other day, I bemoaned the fact that
my beautiful mug (on the outside) had acquired brown stains (on the
inside) which can't be removed using the normal nylon scouring sponge.

He said his Mum used to bleach their cups on a regular basis. I'd heard
of this before, but I've never gone near the idea, for fear of poisoning
myself.

What does The Team Think, please?

Cheers
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

SWAMBO has been bleaching ours for years and I am still around. Those baby bottle cleaning kits use a very mild bleach to sterilise the bottles, the secret is to rinse out thoroughly.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2019 11:15, Another John wrote:
Having a mug of tea with a mate the other day, I bemoaned the fact that
my beautiful mug (on the outside) had acquired brown stains (on the
inside) which can't be removed using the normal nylon scouring sponge.

He said his Mum used to bleach their cups on a regular basis. I'd heard
of this before, but I've never gone near the idea, for fear of poisoning
myself.

What does The Team Think, please?

Cheers
John

Back in the '90s a work colleague at an engineering company used to
drink strong coffee throughout the day and only ever rinsed the mug,
never washing it. After a while someone nearby would get fed up of the
state of it and nip down to the shopfloor and stick it in one of the
pickling baths. It used to come out sparkling.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TOJ TOJ is offline

On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 11:15:26 +0100, Another John wrote:

He said his Mum used to bleach their cups on a regular basis. I'd heard
of this before, but I've never gone near the idea, for fear of poisoning
myself.

I use Morrison's Stain Remover - own brand equivalent to Vanish - in our china
teapots and they come up a treat with no after taste when rinsed thoroughly.

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , lalaw44
@hotmail.com says...
What does The Team Think, please?

Steradent. Job's a good 'un

Cheers, jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah yes that famous Motown hit. Bleach Out by the four taps.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
SWAMBO has been bleaching ours for years and I am still around. Those
baby bottle cleaning kits use a very mild bleach to sterilise the bottles,
the secret is to rinse out thoroughly.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2019 11:15, Another John wrote:
Having a mug of tea with a mate the other day, I bemoaned the fact that
my beautiful mug (on the outside) had acquired brown stains (on the
inside) which can't be removed using the normal nylon scouring sponge.

He said his Mum used to bleach their cups on a regular basis. I'd heard
of this before, but I've never gone near the idea, for fear of poisoning
myself.

What does The Team Think, please?

Na2CO3.10H2O

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 21 April 2019 11:15:29 UTC+1, Another John wrote:
Having a mug of tea with a mate the other day, I bemoaned the fact that
my beautiful mug (on the outside) had acquired brown stains (on the
inside) which can't be removed using the normal nylon scouring sponge.

He said his Mum used to bleach their cups on a regular basis. I'd heard
of this before, but I've never gone near the idea, for fear of poisoning
myself.

What does The Team Think, please?

Cheers
John

Melamine foam cleaners do the job well - but require care to do the job thoroughly. They actually remove the muck. Bleach is easier but tends to leave at least some of the muck there - just removes the colour.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Another John" wrote in message
Having a mug of tea with a mate the other day, I bemoaned the fact that
my beautiful mug (on the outside) had acquired brown stains (on the
inside) which can't be removed using the normal nylon scouring sponge.

He said his Mum used to bleach their cups on a regular basis. I'd heard
of this before, but I've never gone near the idea, for fear of poisoning
myself.

What does The Team Think, please?

Filling with a strong hot solution of bicarbonate of soda and
leaving overnight used to be a standard treatment for teapots
and also works on mugs. Basically the longer the period of soaking
the less effort is required to remove any stains. Bicarbonate of
soda can apparently also be made up into a paste for instant
application although presumably this requires more effort.

Quite possibly bleach might work equally well on teapots and mugs
only I've never heard of it myself. Maybe its a regional thing.

michael adams

michael adams

Cheers
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:

Having a mug of tea with a mate the other day, I bemoaned the fact that
my beautiful mug (on the outside) had acquired brown stains (on the
inside) which can't be removed using the normal nylon scouring sponge.

He said his Mum used to bleach their cups on a regular basis. I'd heard
of this before, but I've never gone near the idea, for fear of poisoning
myself.

What does The Team Think, please?

Cheers
John

Bicarbonate of soda (of which they do a non-edible variety but it is
little different from the culinary one, even in price) works for me.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
Having a mug of tea with a mate the other day, I bemoaned the fact that
my beautiful mug (on the outside) had acquired brown stains (on the
inside) which can't be removed using the normal nylon scouring sponge.

He said his Mum used to bleach their cups on a regular basis. I'd heard
of this before, but I've never gone near the idea, for fear of poisoning
myself.

What does The Team Think, please?

Cheers
John

When the FIL died we found quite a few tubes of steredent which fortunately
neither of us yet need for their intended purpose.
When a cup or mug begins to look a little grubby a tablet dropped in one
and left overnight brings it up clean.
But there will be nothing wrong using with bleach if it is well rinsed.

OTOH I knew an old marine engineer whose only hot drink was tea drunk black
in a what had Ben a red mug of some years vintage but now had an inside
like a coal bucket.
While a normal wash after use was acceptable woe betide anyone who even
thought about doing a deep clean or putting it through a dishwasher.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 21/04/2019 15:57, Marland wrote:
But there will be nothing wrong using with bleach if it is well rinsed.

I have never known it to harm anyone if rinsed properly.

Having said that cleaner at work place got sacked for using bleach down
the toilets! was against H&S, since then the toilets are a mess.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 21 April 2019 11:15:29 UTC+1, Another John wrote:

Having a mug of tea with a mate the other day, I bemoaned the fact that
my beautiful mug (on the outside) had acquired brown stains (on the
inside) which can't be removed using the normal nylon scouring sponge.

He said his Mum used to bleach their cups on a regular basis. I'd heard
of this before, but I've never gone near the idea, for fear of poisoning
myself.

What does The Team Think, please?

Cheers
John

done it loads, works a treat. Rinse well after.

There's no risk of poisoning, the tiniest trace is very tastable. And yes bleach has been used internally medically, a trace won't kill you.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss wrote:
On 21/04/2019 15:57, Marland wrote:
But there will be nothing wrong using with bleach if it is well rinsed.

I have never known it to harm anyone if rinsed properly.

Having said that cleaner at work place got sacked for using bleach down
the toilets! was against H&S,

One asks: "whose H&S?" He probably wasn't wearing the correct PPE.

since then the toilets are a mess.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 21 April 2019 11:15:29 UTC+1, Another John wrote:
He said his Mum used to bleach their cups on a regular basis. I'd heard
of this before, but I've never gone near the idea, for fear of poisoning
myself.

I use Lakeland Tea Away, which has been discontinued, and replaced with Astonish Cup Cleaner (contains: Sodium carbonate peroxide, Sodium Carbonate).

Basically a non-chlorine bleach.

Several applications interspersed with a plastic scourer may be neaded, as the bleach doesn't seem to penetrate tannin very far.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2019 11:15, Another John wrote:
Having a mug of tea with a mate the other day, I bemoaned the fact that
my beautiful mug (on the outside) had acquired brown stains (on the
inside) which can't be removed using the normal nylon scouring sponge.

He said his Mum used to bleach their cups on a regular basis. I'd heard
of this before, but I've never gone near the idea, for fear of poisoning
myself.

What does The Team Think, please?

Cheers
John

Swimbo soaks the stained mugs in Vanish overnight. Works a treat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 21 April 2019 18:47:32 UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, 21 April 2019 11:15:29 UTC+1, Another John wrote:

He said his Mum used to bleach their cups on a regular basis. I'd heard
of this before, but I've never gone near the idea, for fear of poisoning
myself.

I use Lakeland Tea Away, which has been discontinued, and replaced with Astonish Cup Cleaner (contains: Sodium carbonate peroxide, Sodium Carbonate).

Basically a non-chlorine bleach.

Several applications interspersed with a plastic scourer may be neaded, as the bleach doesn't seem to penetrate tannin very far.

Owain

I thought you were Scottish. What are you doing spending more than necessary?
Chlorine bleach needs no scouring in 99% of cases.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 21 April 2019 18:52:48 UTC+1, wrote:
I use Lakeland Tea Away,

I thought you were Scottish. What are you doing spending more than necessary?

I inherited it so it cost me nothing but grief.

Chlorine bleach needs no scouring in 99% of cases.

I have a bad habit of refreshing cold tea in the m-wave. I think that bakes the muck on the interior.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 21 April 2019 19:22:48 UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, 21 April 2019 18:52:48 UTC+1, tabby wrote:

I use Lakeland Tea Away,

I thought you were Scottish. What are you doing spending more than necessary?

I inherited it so it cost me nothing but grief.

Chlorine bleach needs no scouring in 99% of cases.

I have a bad habit of refreshing cold tea in the m-wave. I think that bakes the muck on the interior.

Owain

Ouch The highest price of all.

In most cases just leaving the mug soak then wiping with a brush is enough. Bleach is good when that's not. Don't think I've ever had one that didn't come clean with bleach. Only needs a tiny bit.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Having a mug of tea with a mate the other day, I bemoaned the fact that
my beautiful mug (on the outside) had acquired brown stains (on the
inside) which can't be removed using the normal nylon scouring sponge.

He said his Mum used to bleach their cups on a regular basis. I'd heard
of this before, but I've never gone near the idea, for fear of poisoning
myself.

What does The Team Think, please?

Cheers
John

Bleach whitens the muck but leaves it there. I have been amazed by a
fine-grained white sponge material that Robert Dyas used to sell. I
think there was another brand sold elsewhere but I haven't seen it.

The sponge seems none-abrasive, but goes brown when rubbed over a tea
stain which disappears. My theory is that the cup is brown because tea
stain is lying in many fine scratches. The sponge drags the stain out
of the scratches. However the scratches can be seen to be still there
so the cup stains again easily - it would be best to buy new cups.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:

Having a mug of tea with a mate the other day, I bemoaned the fact
that my beautiful mug (on the outside) had acquired brown stains (on
the inside) which can't be removed using the normal nylon scouring
sponge.

When it's mug cleaning time I just leave mine to soak overnight - that
usually soften the deposits enough that they will wipe off with an
abrasive sponge. Otherwise I'd choose limescale remover over bleach.

He said his Mum used to bleach their cups on a regular basis. I'd
heard of this before, but I've never gone near the idea, for fear of
poisoning myself.

Just a quick rinse will be fine, although It might still smell a bit
bleachy you'll come to no harm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2019 11:15, Another John wrote:
Having a mug of tea with a mate the other day, I bemoaned the fact that
my beautiful mug (on the outside) had acquired brown stains (on the
inside) which can't be removed using the normal nylon scouring sponge.

He said his Mum used to bleach their cups on a regular basis. I'd heard
of this before, but I've never gone near the idea, for fear of poisoning
myself.

What does The Team Think, please?

Cheers
John

I do that every few weeks with my china belfast sink.

As long as you wash it throughly afterwards, OK

--
I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

Leo Tolstoy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Which is what I posted about 17 hours ago!

Melamine foam "Magic eraser" or variant. Sold in Lidl and many other places. Cheap versions seem to me to work just as well as expensive.

Our kitchen sink came with instructions to use them for cleaning it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Marland wrote:

When the FIL died we found quite a few tubes of steredent which
fortunately neither of us yet need for their intended purpose. When a
cup or mug begins to look a little grubby a tablet dropped in one and
left overnight brings it up clean.

From the MSDS, a decent mixture of cleaning agents ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potass...oxymonosulfate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_percarbonate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_carbonate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malic_acid
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkylbenzene_sulfonates

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2019 14:21, Max Demian wrote:
On 21/04/2019 11:15, Another John wrote:
Having a mug of tea with a mate the other day, I bemoaned the fact that
my beautiful mug (on the outside) had acquired brown stains (on the
inside) which can't be removed using the normal nylon scouring sponge.

He said his Mum used to bleach their cups on a regular basis. I'd heard
of this before, but I've never gone near the idea, for fear of poisoning
myself.

What does The Team Think, please?

Na2CO3.10H2O

Yes. Washing soda is cheap and effective for lots of things, it's often
not in supermarkets because there's far more money to be made selling
coloured fragranced stuff with silly names.

Likewise descalers, citric acid (and others) is inexpensive and just
fine, it works without the coloured plastic bottle and again, silly
name, but you won't usually find it in the supermarket.

Like trying to buy a normal safety razor in Boots. All there is is an
array of less-effective as-seen-on-TV plastic multi-blade disposables at
exorbitant prices.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2019 13:56, Jim White wrote:
In article , lalaw44
@hotmail.com says...
What does The Team Think, please?

Steradent. Job's a good 'un

Cheers, jim

It's also excellent for removing heavy tannin deposits from inside
stainless steel teamakers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2019 10:15, Clive Arthur wrote:
[...]

It extends to other cleaners.

5 litres brick acid (which I have discovered gets rid of black spot
lichen) £8.50

5 litres of special 'gets rid of black spot lichen' patio cleaner £69.99

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 April 2019 10:19:50 UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 21/04/2019 17:28, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 21 April 2019 11:15:29 UTC+1, Another John wrote:

Having a mug of tea with a mate the other day, I bemoaned the fact that
my beautiful mug (on the outside) had acquired brown stains (on the
inside) which can't be removed using the normal nylon scouring sponge.

He said his Mum used to bleach their cups on a regular basis. I'd heard
of this before, but I've never gone near the idea, for fear of poisoning
myself.

What does The Team Think, please?

Cheers
John

done it loads, works a treat. Rinse well after.

There's no risk of poisoning, the tiniest trace is very tastable. And yes bleach has been used internally medically, a trace won't kill you.

NT

Indeed, it may well cure you of all known ailments...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...t-miracle-cure

Cheers

There are studies indicating it does cure some things. It might be interesting to see what study or studies the FDA base their position on

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 21/04/2019 11:55, Tricky Dicky wrote:
SWAMBO has been bleaching ours for years and I am still around. Those baby bottle cleaning kits use a very mild bleach to sterilise the bottles, the secret is to rinse out thoroughly.

If anyone tried to get rid of the tea stains from the gf's tea mug they
might possibly die depending on the time of month.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 April 2019 18:37:28 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

This is what the FDA posted:

https://wayback.archive-it.org/7993/.../ucm228052.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 April 2019 21:14:51 UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Monday, 22 April 2019 18:37:28 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
[...]

To speak a bit more plainly I'd be surprised if the FDA had ANY study that showed them it didn't work. And there are ones that show it does have its uses.

"But FDA experts say they arent aware of any research that shows the product can effectively treat any illnesses."

Then perhaps they're deaf or blind.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the link. Now I'm worried that the foam is abrasive so
might cause scratches on its own.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

it's a very soft abrasive, it doesn't harm anything hard. It's a plastic.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Which presumably as it wears down ends up via plug oles, drains ,sewers
and treatment plant ,watercourses ,oceans into the marine food chain.

A state of affairs that recently has a lot of attention drawn to it.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It doesnt get past the treatment plant and end up with the other
solids and plastic disposed of on land at the treatment plant.

A state of affairs that recently has a lot of attention drawn to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 10:33:19 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Which presumably as it wears down ends up via plug oles, drains ,sewers
and treatment plant ,watercourses ,oceans into the marine food chain.

It doesnt get past the treatment plant and end up with the other
solids and plastic disposed of on land at the treatment plant.

Auto-contradicting senile asshole!

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2019 00:21, Marland wrote:
Which presumably as it wears down ends up via plug oles, drains ,sewers
and treatment plant ,watercourses ,oceans into the marine food chain.

The ocean is a very big place

A state of affairs that recently has a lot of attention drawn to it...

...By people with agendas that are little to do with marine life...

"Saki"

Stainless steel, epoxy, and tableware Frnak McKenney Metalworking 39 December 27th 18 07:54 PM
Lightening / Bleaching Travertine Floor Tile??? [email protected] Home Repair 2 July 18th 17 02:29 PM
Bleaching wood whisky-dave UK diy 16 May 17th 08 12:58 PM
Cleaning/bleaching/sanding outside door threshhold? blueman Woodworking 2 November 19th 07 07:30 AM
Bleaching paul Woodworking 12 January 23rd 07 10:04 PM