Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thermometer attachment for mobile phone?

I would like to be able to measure the ambient temperature without
carrying a bulky device.

Favourite option would be an attachment to a mobile phone. Why? Well,
because.....

So far I have found this:
https://shop.thermodo.com/
which looks the business but is not widely available.
Around £28.09 in the UK via eBay.

Does anyone of a similar product?
Plugging a sensor into the earphone socket seems a logical design.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2019 12:25, David wrote:
I would like to be able to measure the ambient temperature without
carrying a bulky device.

Favourite option would be an attachment to a mobile phone. Why? Well,
because.....

So far I have found this:
https://shop.thermodo.com/
which looks the business but is not widely available.
Around £28.09 in the UK via eBay.

Does anyone of a similar product?
Plugging a sensor into the earphone socket seems a logical design.

Bluetooth? baby thermometer?

I'm assuming it could read something when not attached to a baby.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermometer.../dp/B079R9FFG2

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 12:37:08 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

On 20/04/2019 12:25, David wrote:
I would like to be able to measure the ambient temperature without
carrying a bulky device.

Why? What would you want real time data on a phone as it was being
carried?

You cannot measure ambient temperature with a phone mounted device, or
indeed any transportable device unless you mount it on top of your
head, over a very well insulated "hat".

Temperature data loggers are very cheap, I bought quite a few that do
temperature and humidity from Ebay, they have better than the claimed
accuracy on temperatue and for a pound or two extra, a version with a
pt 100 and a metre of cable is available. The thing has an inbuilt
sensor and the pt 100 takes over when plugged in.

Temp/ humidity data and alarm functions set and downloaded to a PC,
historical data is retrievable using a couple of buttons and an LCD
screen. You would get around four in a shirt pocket, although unless
you really need to know your nipple temperature a hard hat with an
extedable radio aerial would be a useful mount for ambient
temperature. It would have the added advantage of informing the
general public what class of individual is likely to be lurking
underneath.

The baby monitor will only work from July to September at the moment.
There is a strong likelyhood that the useable time period will expand
considerably though.

AB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

I would like to be able to measure the ambient temperature without
carrying a bulky device.
Favourite option would be an attachment to a mobile phone.

Maybe your phone already has a temperature sensor?

Some of the on-board barometers include one, and most of the batteries
will have one (though that probably will be a few degrees higher than
ambient and won't react quickly to changes)

Install the CPU-Z app and see what it can tell you ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2019 12:25, David wrote:
I would like to be able to measure the ambient temperature without
carrying a bulky device.

Favourite option would be an attachment to a mobile phone. Why? Well,
because.....

So far I have found this:
https://shop.thermodo.com/
which looks the business but is not widely available.
Around £28.09 in the UK via eBay.

Does anyone of a similar product?
Plugging a sensor into the earphone socket seems a logical design.

Cheers

Dave R

There are matchbox sized sensors with a thermistor on a couple of feet
of wire, as used for acquariums etc. (I have a couple on my boiler
pipework). Or did you need a probe? Various small ones suitable for
cooking and checking food temperatures in fridge, servery, etc. eBay is
your friend.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 16:58:10 +0100, newshound wrote:

[...]

Looking for something already fully integrated and either audio jack or
bluetooth to the mobile phone (android).

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Apr 2019 16:31:00 GMT, David wrote:

[...]

Isn't the audio jack on the phone output only?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message
I would like to be able to measure the ambient temperature without
carrying a bulky device.

Favourite option would be an attachment to a mobile phone. Why? Well,
because.....

So far I have found this:
https://shop.thermodo.com/
which looks the business but is not widely available.
Around £28.09 in the UK via eBay.

Does anyone of a similar product?
Plugging a sensor into the earphone socket seems a logical design.

The Philips Hue motions sensors have an internal temperature
sensor and you can either read that on your phone or ask siri or
alexa or google what the temperature is. And siri will tell you
the range of all your sensors just by saying 'hey siri room temperature'
or you can ask for the temperature in a specific room. Outside
temperatures too with the outdoor movement sensor.

Not particularly cheap, but on special as cheap as your price.

BUT you need the Hue base as well if you arent using the Hue system already.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote
David wrote

I would like to be able to measure the ambient
temperature without carrying a bulky device.

Why? What would you want real time data on a phone as it was being
carried?

I need one for my still. You keep distilling until there is a significant
rise in the temperature, that occurs when the bulk of the ethanol has
been distilled off and you are starting to get the higher alcohols that
you don't want coming off.

Also handy with fridges and freezers to alarm
when the temp is higher than it should be.

You cannot measure ambient temperature with a phone
mounted device, or indeed any transportable device unless you
mount it on top of your head, over a very well insulated "hat".

Temperature data loggers are very cheap, I bought quite a few that
do temperature and humidity from Ebay, they have better than the
claimed accuracy on temperatue and for a pound or two extra, a
version with a pt 100 and a metre of cable is available. The thing
has an inbuilt sensor and the pt 100 takes over when plugged in.

But arent as useful when you need an alarm function.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Davidm" wrote in message
[...]

No, they do work with headsets with mics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 10:01:40 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Why? What would you want real time data on a phone as it was being
carried?

I need one for my still.

We are not talking about the needs of senile psychopaths, senile Rodent!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 13:42:52 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Isn't the audio jack on the phone output only?

No

LOL He said it again!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 09:48:28 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Does anyone of a similar product?
Plugging a sensor into the earphone socket seems a logical design.

The Philips Hue motions

Oh, no! Not that one again! Shove your Philips Hues up your arse, senile
Rodent!

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Apr 2019 11:25:23 GMT
David wrote:

I would like to be able to measure the ambient temperature without
carrying a bulky device.

Favourite option would be an attachment to a mobile phone. Why? Well,
because.....

Attach one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112064002087 to the back
of your phone with some double-sided sticky tape.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
On 20 Apr 2019 11:25:23 GMT
David wrote:

I would like to be able to measure the ambient temperature without
carrying a bulky device.

Favourite option would be an attachment to a mobile phone. Why? Well,
because.....

Attach one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112064002087 to the back
of your phone with some double-sided sticky tape.

Wouldn't work here. My phone is mostly in my pocket when not at home

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 07:18:10 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's latest troll****

STILL no feedback for in this and other threads, senile asshole? And you
keep trying so hard! LMAO

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."