Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Battery Eliminator for AVO 8?

Hi All,

Its many a year since my AVO 8 saw active service, but I dug it out the other day and would like to start using it again.

But rather than obtaining a 15V battery, Id like to use a PSU (assuming I have / can find something to give the right bolts, and assuming youse can tell me which way around to connect it
(All I see is two metal plates where it should go in the battery compartment (the 1.5V cell is still in place and working after 15 years storage!).

What does the team think?

TIA

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 April 2019 16:03:23 UTC+1, wrote:
Its many a year since my AVO 8 saw active service, but I dug it out the
other day and would like to start using it again.
But rather than obtaining a 15V battery, Id like to use a PSU (assuming
I have / can find something to give the right bolts, and assuming youse
can tell me which way around to connect it

Batteries are available on Ebay for about six quid inc postage.

you can wire two 9 volt PP3 batteries in series with a 5v zener diode, insulate the metal cases and slide them in sideways between the contacts for the correct battery.
http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/avo8.html
(and a lot more information)

AVO VC1 eliminator

http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/vc1.html

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its many a year since my AVO 8 saw active service, but I dug it out the
other day and would like to start using it again.

See also this for making a battery

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=76197

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Having had a quick look online, its only used for high resistance range. Which Im not bothered about.

However, I cant zero the Ohms ranges.

Perhaps the 1.5 V battery is past its best after all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 12:31:05 -0700, cpvh wrote:

Having had a quick look online, its only used for high resistance
range. Which Im not bothered about.

However, I cant zero the Ohms ranges.

Perhaps the 1.5 V battery is past its best after all.

It's only a D cell. Not expensive!

I got a 15v battery off eBay, and it works fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I will replace the D cell, but as the 15V only seems to do stuff Im unlikely to be interested in, I will pass on that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:

Hi All,

It‘s many a year since my AVO 8 saw active service, but I dug it out the
other day and would like to start using it again.

But rather than obtaining a 15V battery, I‘d like to use a PSU (assuming
I have / can find something to give the right bolts, and assuming youse
can tell me which way around to connect it (All I see is two metal
plates where it should go in the battery compartment (the 1.5V cell is
still in place and working after 15 years storage!).

What does the team think?

My thoughts are an AVO which needed a mains supply rather pointless. Given
you can buy far more accurate bench top mains powered units for not a lot,
if it's only ever going to be used where you can plug it in.

AVO batteries last a long time. The 1.5v cell is cheap. The 15v once can
be made up from button cells.

--
*The beatings will continue until morale improves *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 April 2019 11:14:08 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

Hi All,

It€˜s many a year since my AVO 8 saw active service, but I dug it out the
other day and would like to start using it again.

But rather than obtaining a 15V battery, I€˜d like to use a PSU (assuming
I have / can find something to give the right bolts, and assuming youse
can tell me which way around to connect it (All I see is two metal
plates where it should go in the battery compartment (the 1.5V cell is
still in place and working after 15 years storage!).

What does the team think?

My thoughts are an AVO which needed a mains supply rather pointless.

I've just put 7 AVOs on a shelf in the lab, 3 upside down as they look better like that as smiley meters :-)