Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Router broadband settings?

Got a new (to me ) router, as recommended on here got a Draytek 2860,
hoping for a much better experience.

I spent 36 mins on hold at Clearbusiness though, to get the account
settings to put in it, only to find that when I connected it up, it
worked 'out of the box'.

Is that normal? It certainly hasn't been my experience in the past.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 15:18:46 +0100, R D S wrote:

Got a new (to me ) router, as recommended on here got a Draytek 2860,
hoping for a much better experience.

I spent 36 mins on hold at Clearbusiness though, to get the account
settings to put in it, only to find that when I connected it up, it
worked 'out of the box'.

Is that normal? It certainly hasn't been my experience in the past.

Some ISPs don't bother about account settings, seein that they know what
line you're on.

(I just bought a second 2860 and was able to get a refurb one for £115
plus VAT.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2019 15:30, Bob Eager wrote:

Some ISPs don't bother about account settings, seein that they know what
line you're on.

I always wondered why they bothered.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

when I connected it up, it worked 'out of the box'.

Some ISPs use TR-069 to auto-configure the router.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2019 15:18, R D S wrote:
Got a new (to me ) router, as recommended on here got a Draytek 2860,
hoping for a much better experience.

I spent 36 mins on hold at Clearbusiness though, to get the account
settings to put in it, only to find that when I connected it up, it
worked 'out of the box'.

Is that normal? It certainly hasn't been my experience in the past.

if its sold in the uk it will in general come with a decent default
config for uk operation.

Draytek still believe in customer care....

Lucas Bergkamp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2019 15:18, R D S wrote:
Got a new (to me ) router, as recommended on here got a Draytek 2860,
hoping for a much better experience.

I spent 36 mins on hold at Clearbusiness though, to get the account
settings to put in it, only to find that when I connected it up, it
worked 'out of the box'.

Is that normal? It certainly hasn't been my experience in the past.

It may be that the ISP does not require any config or login.

Although the router also supports TR069 auto configuration which some
ISPs use. So if your ISP runs a TR069 server, it ought to be capable of
pushing out the configuration settings associated with that line. Having
said that, the routers are normally supplied with TR069 disabled. Check
under the System Maintenance bit of the configuration web page.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2019 15:18, R D S wrote:
Got a new (to me ) router, as recommended on here got a Draytek 2860,
hoping for a much better experience.

I spent 36 mins on hold at Clearbusiness though, to get the account
settings to put in it, only to find that when I connected it up, it
worked 'out of the box'.

Is that normal? It certainly hasn't been my experience in the past.

if its sold in the uk it will in general come with a decent default
config for uk operation.

Draytek still believe in customer care....

I wish their tech support were a bit more clued up though... I have
spent since the end of Jan trying to get o the bottom of what is
probably a bug investigated, and we seem to keep going round in circles.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
On 17/04/2019 15:18, R D S wrote:
Got a new (to me ) router, as recommended on here got a Draytek 2860,
hoping for a much better experience.

I spent 36 mins on hold at Clearbusiness though, to get the account
settings to put in it, only to find that when I connected it up, it
worked 'out of the box'.

Is that normal? It certainly hasn't been my experience in the past.

if its sold in the uk it will in general come with a decent default
config for uk operation.

Draytek still believe in customer care....

Yes we've got a few of them around and all in never any bother!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2019 15:18, R D S wrote:
Got a new (to me ) router, as recommended on here got a Draytek 2860,
hoping for a much better experience.

I spent 36 mins on hold at Clearbusiness though, to get the account
settings to put in it, only to find that when I connected it up, it
worked 'out of the box'.

Is that normal? It certainly hasn't been my experience in the past.

if its sold in the uk it will in general come with a decent default
config for uk operation.

Draytek still believe in customer care....

Yes we've got a few of them around and all in never any bother!...

Don't suppose you have any setup to do WiFi user authentication against
an external RADIUS server by any chance?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Rumm scribeth thus
On 17/04/2019 15:18, R D S wrote:
Got a new (to me ) router, as recommended on here got a Draytek 2860,
hoping for a much better experience.

I spent 36 mins on hold at Clearbusiness though, to get the account
settings to put in it, only to find that when I connected it up, it
worked 'out of the box'.

Is that normal? It certainly hasn't been my experience in the past.

if its sold in the uk it will in general come with a decent default
config for uk operation.

Draytek still believe in customer care....

Yes we've got a few of them around and all in never any bother!...

Don't suppose you have any setup to do WiFi user authentication against
an external RADIUS server by any chance?

No sorry...
--
Tony Sayer