DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   hot works (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/634782-hot-works.html)

Andy Burns[_13_] April 15th 19 07:18 PM

hot works

Adam, has you apprentice been playing with a blowtorch again?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47941794

ARW April 15th 19 07:34 PM

hot works

On 15/04/2019 19:18, Andy Burns wrote:
Adam, has you apprentice been playing with a blowtorch again?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47941794

The hunchback did it.

--
Adam

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] April 15th 19 07:37 PM

hot works

Andy Burns wrote :
Adam, has you apprentice been playing with a blowtorch again?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47941794

Live camera -
https://www.rt.com/news/456618-watch...fs-notre-dame/

Looks as if the centre tower and much of the roof has collapsed.

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] April 15th 19 07:42 PM

hot works

Harry Bloomfield expressed precisely :
Live camera -
https://www.rt.com/news/456618-watch...fs-notre-dame/

Looks as if the centre tower and much of the roof has collapsed.

Scaffolding looks near collapse..

ARW April 15th 19 07:46 PM

hot works

On 15/04/2019 19:18, Andy Burns wrote:
Adam, has you apprentice been playing with a blowtorch again?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47941794

With apprentices like mine they do not need a blowtorch to set fire to
things.....

It's still ongoing with the solicitors etc so I cannot name names but
the claim is that the fire alarm he fitted set fire to the WMC.

--
Adam

Andy Burns[_13_] April 15th 19 07:59 PM

hot works

ARW wrote:

On 15/04/2019 19:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Harry Bloomfield expressed precisely :
Live camera -
https://www.rt.com/news/456618-watch...fs-notre-dame/

Looks as if the centre tower and much of the roof has collapsed.

Scaffolding looks near collapse..

Yep.

insides of the square stone tower(s) now well alight

ARW April 15th 19 08:35 PM

hot works

On 15/04/2019 19:59, Andy Burns wrote:
ARW wrote:

On 15/04/2019 19:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Harry Bloomfield expressed precisely :
Live camera -
https://www.rt.com/news/456618-watch...fs-notre-dame/

Looks as if the centre tower and much of the roof has collapsed.

Scaffolding looks near collapse..

Yep.

insides of the square stone tower(s) now well alight

Bloke in the pub has just said that Nigel Farage is on his way with a
toasting fork and two slices of white Warburtons sliced bread.

--
Adam

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] April 15th 19 08:35 PM

hot works

After serious thinking Andy Burns wrote :
insides of the square stone tower(s) now well alight

If you mean one of the two towers, I think was just smoke rising up
through the tower. I thought they might got more appliances there and
maybe water bombed it with a 'chopper.

Andy Burns[_13_] April 15th 19 08:38 PM

hot works

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

If you mean one of the two towers, I think was just smoke rising up
through the tower.

No, at one time there was flame showing through a large section of one
of the tall openings, they've got a hose on it, they don't seem to have
shown that camera angle lately, one hell of a clang if it drops the
bells ...

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] April 15th 19 08:48 PM

hot works

Harry Bloomfield wrote :
If you mean one of the two towers, I think was just smoke rising up through
the tower. I thought they might got more appliances there and maybe water
bombed it with a 'chopper.

Sparks now, from between the twin towers..

Vir Campestris April 15th 19 08:48 PM

hot works

On 15/04/2019 19:18, Andy Burns wrote:
Adam, has you apprentice been playing with a blowtorch again?

**** isn't it.

They commented on the Beeb earlier that when the Nazis were thrown out
the local Kommandant was ordered to destroy it.

He didn't obey the order.

Now some twit with a Gaulois takes it out. Or something else equally stupid.

Andy

Brian Reay[_6_] April 15th 19 08:54 PM

hot works

On 15/04/2019 19:18, Andy Burns wrote:
Adam, has you apprentice been playing with a blowtorch again?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47941794

A tragedy.

Whenever we visit Paris (it is normally part of or annual Tour de
France), we make a point of having a picnic by the Seine overlooking
Notre Dame.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

https://www.jobcentreguide.org/claim...-benefit-fraud

https://childsworldamerica.org/anima...o-child-abuse/

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] April 15th 19 09:28 PM

hot works

on 15/04/2019, Andy Burns supposed :
No, at one time there was flame showing through a large section of one of the
tall openings, they've got a hose on it, they don't seem to have shown that
camera angle lately, one hell of a clang if it drops the bells ...

It looks as if they have it under control now and they are walking
round the balconies of the two towers.

Robin April 15th 19 09:32 PM

hot works

On 15/04/2019 21:28, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 15/04/2019, Andy Burns supposed :
No, at one time there was flame showing through a large section of one
of the tall openings, they've got a hose on it, they don't seem to
have shown that camera angle lately, one hell of a clang if it drops
the bells ...

It looks as if they have it under control now and they are walking round
the balconies of the two towers.

ITYWF they are there to try to stop the fire spreading to the bell tower
- something fire chief has just been reported as saying they aren't
confident of doing. If that tower comes down then the sky will indeed
have fallen in Paris.

--
Robin

Andy Burns[_13_] April 15th 19 09:47 PM

hot works

Robin wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

It looks as if they have it under control now and they are walking
round the balconies of the two towers.

ITYWF they are there to try to stop the fire spreading to the bell tower
- something fire chief has just been reported as saying they aren't
confident of doing.* If that tower comes down then the sky will indeed
have fallen in Paris.

Though apparently the bells are in the tower without the flames ...

[email protected] April 15th 19 09:49 PM

hot works

On Monday, 15 April 2019 19:18:27 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47941794

Priests burning some embarrassing paperwork?

Owain

Clive Page[_2_] April 15th 19 09:50 PM

hot works

On 15/04/2019 19:18, Andy Burns wrote:
Adam, has you apprentice been playing with a blowtorch again?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47941794

It is a tragedy. But it seems so many historic buildings catch fire while being renovated. For example in recent years, e.g. Windsor Castle, York Minster, Glasgow School of Art.

My recommendation: go to see the Palace of Westminster before it too burns down, as parliamentarians are determined to start a substantial renovation effort in just a year or two.

It does seem that building contractors can be awfully careless in these old buildings: all it takes is a blowlamp left too long near to something flammable, or a multi-way power adaptor just a bit overloaded. In all these cases it seems that the fire takes hold and spreads quite widely before anyone notices: after all there must have been *lots* of people around in the Notre Dame in early evening. Wouldn't it be feasible, while works are under way, to install dozens or even hundreds of small radio-linked battery-operated smoke detectors all over the structure?

--
Clive Page

Marland April 15th 19 10:33 PM

hot works

Clive Page wrote:
On 15/04/2019 19:18, Andy Burns wrote:
Adam, has you apprentice been playing with a blowtorch again?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47941794

It is a tragedy. But it seems so many historic buildings catch fire
while being renovated. For example in recent years, e.g. Windsor
Castle, York Minster, Glasgow School of Art.

Not just buildings, the Cutty Sark sailing ship caught fire while under
renovation which I believe was caused by an overheated vacuum cleaner that
had been left running unattended, fortunately much of the interior
had been removed to be renovated elsewhere so the damage was less than it
could have been,that isnt practical with large buildings but one thing
that used to and may still take place when ships were worked on in
shipyards and drydocks was when hot work such as welding,cutting etc takes
place you normally have a person present whose job it is to watch out for
fire caused by sparks or heat conduction and make sure the area is safe
before it is left and that person isnt the same one as the one(s) doing
the work.
You would think a similar system would be in place when a particularly old
and valuable building is being worked on, perhaps there was but a drastic
accident like a drum of white spirit being knocked over a heat source took
place.

GH

Dave Liquorice[_2_] April 15th 19 10:39 PM

hot works

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 21:50:55 +0100, Clive Page wrote:

Wouldn't it be feasible, while works are under way, to install dozens
or even hundreds of small radio-linked battery-operated smoke detectors
all over the structure?

Not sure that would help very much. It's the massive timber roofs
that go up then collapse into the building destroying the
contents(*). Those roofs are really just a tinder dry, dust covered,
open aerial bonfires just waiting to be lit and once lit just burn,
you don't stand a chance of putting it out.

(*) Though looking at the drone image, it looks like the Notra Dam
vaulting hadn't collapsed when that was taken so the fire might not
have got into the body of the cathedral. Several thousands of gallons
of water per minute may well have though. B-(

--
Cheers
Dave.

DerbyBorn[_5_] April 15th 19 10:56 PM

hot works

Clive Page wrote in
:

[...]

I totally agree. Would the Fire Dept be consulted on a risk assessment?

tony sayer April 15th 19 11:40 PM

hot works

In article , Andy Burns
scribeth thus
ARW wrote:

On 15/04/2019 19:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Harry Bloomfield expressed precisely :
Live camera -
https://www.rt.com/news/456618-watch...fs-notre-dame/

Looks as if the centre tower and much of the roof has collapsed.

Scaffolding looks near collapse..

Yep.

insides of the square stone tower(s) now well alight

No their not so the chief of the fire dept sez..
--
Tony Sayer

[email protected] April 16th 19 12:56 AM

hot works

On Monday, 15 April 2019 21:51:00 UTC+1, Clive Page wrote:
[...]

I think the reality too often is people that truly don't give a toss. Add folk that have no clue what they're doing & people still drunk or stoned and no surprise things go wrong. I had to take a blowlamp off someone not too long ago. What he was doing with it was a disaster. It's hard to mandate care.

NT

[email protected] April 16th 19 12:57 AM

hot works

On Tuesday, 16 April 2019 00:56:23 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
[...]

Make the people involved financially responsible and partial improvement would occur.

Richard[_10_] April 16th 19 06:04 AM

hot works

On 15/04/2019 20:54, Brian Reay wrote:
On 15/04/2019 19:18, Andy Burns wrote:
Adam, has you apprentice been playing with a blowtorch again?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47941794

A tragedy.

An opportunity for some nice affordable housing projects.

Whenever we visit Paris (it is normally part of or annual Tour de
France), we make a point of having a picnic by the Seine overlooking
Notre Dame.

The picnic spot will still be there.

harry April 16th 19 06:56 AM

hot works

On Tuesday, 16 April 2019 00:57:40 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

They will likely have insurance.

[email protected] April 16th 19 07:51 AM

hot works

On Tuesday, 16 April 2019 06:56:04 UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 16 April 2019 00:57:40 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
[...]

Captain Obvious strikes again.

Chris Green April 16th 19 08:14 AM

hot works

Marland wrote:
[snip]
could have been,that isnt practical with large buildings but one thing
that used to and may still take place when ships were worked on in
shipyards and drydocks was when hot work such as welding,cutting etc takes
place you normally have a person present whose job it is to watch out for
fire caused by sparks or heat conduction and make sure the area is safe
before it is left and that person isnt the same one as the one(s) doing
the work.

It was certainly expected even on our little 10.5 metre steel boat
when there was welding being done. It saved the boat from a serious
fire too as I was inside keeping watch while they were welding plates
outside and caught a fire before it got too serious, was still a bit
too exciting for my liking though. I got out sharpish and said there
was a fire, there were three or four hefty lads with breathing
apparatus on inside the boat very quickly!

--
Chris Green
·

Brian Gaff April 16th 19 08:43 AM

hot works

Interestingly about 10 other churches in France have been fire bombed in
recent weeks, but somehow I'd imagine security on such a high profile site
would have precluded that as the cause, more likely health and safety
failings by the renovation crew.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Brian Gaff April 16th 19 08:46 AM

hot works

The Cutty Sark don't forget that one.
Of course the state owns and maintains churches in France so its the
taxpayer who will pay.
Brian

--
----- --

DerbyBorn[_5_] April 16th 19 08:59 AM

hot works

Angel Grinder?

Steve Walker[_5_] April 16th 19 10:58 AM

hot works

On 16/04/2019 08:59, DerbyBorn wrote:
Angel Grinder?

:)

Davidm April 16th 19 12:13 PM

hot works

wrote:

On 15/04/2019 19:18, Andy Burns wrote:
Adam, has you apprentice been playing with a blowtorch again?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47941794

My recommendation: go to see the Palace of Westminster before it too burns down, as parliamentarians are determined to start a substantial renovation effort in just a year or two.

Bring back Guy Fawkes - would solve a few problems!!!

tony sayer April 16th 19 01:20 PM

hot works

In article , Davidm
scribeth thus
wrote:

On 15/04/2019 19:18, Andy Burns wrote:
Adam, has you apprentice been playing with a blowtorch again?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47941794

My recommendation: go to see the Palace of Westminster before it too burns

down, as parliamentarians are determined to start a substantial renovation
effort in just a year or two.

Bring back Guy Fawkes - would solve a few problems!!!

Does anyone know if they have metal scaffold planks in France as looking
at the pictures this morning although the roof and wood and presumably
the lead on same have all gone and the scaffold tubes are a bit sagged a
lot, the planking seems intact?

--
Tony Sayer

Robin April 16th 19 01:39 PM

hot works

On 16/04/2019 13:20, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Davidm
scribeth thus
wrote:

On 15/04/2019 19:18, Andy Burns wrote:
Adam, has you apprentice been playing with a blowtorch again?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47941794

My recommendation: go to see the Palace of Westminster before it too burns

down, as parliamentarians are determined to start a substantial renovation
effort in just a year or two.

Bring back Guy Fawkes - would solve a few problems!!!

Does anyone know if they have metal scaffold planks in France as looking
at the pictures this morning although the roof and wood and presumably
the lead on same have all gone and the scaffold tubes are a bit sagged a
lot, the planking seems intact?

Dunno about Paris but last time I saw them putting scaffolding up the
Elizabeth Tower ("Big Ben") they were using metal staging boards.

--
Robin

djc April 16th 19 07:45 PM

hot works

On 15/04/2019 21:50, Clive Page wrote:

It is a tragedy.Â* But it seems so many historic buildings catch fire
while being renovated.Â* For example in recent years, e.g.Â* Windsor
Castle, York Minster,Â* Glasgow School of Art.

My recommendation: go to see the Palace of Westminster before it too
burns down, as parliamentarians are determined to start a substantial
renovation effort in just a year or two.

Why not start work now while the parliamentarian are still in it.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

Vir Campestris April 16th 19 09:34 PM

hot works

On 16/04/2019 19:32, Tim Streater wrote:
Good Winky article here about the fire and consequences:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre-Dame_de_Paris_fire

(much better than the dribs and drabs on the BBC site).

Thank you. A very good read.

It looks like it may not be as bad as I feared - the stone vault is
largely intact.

Andy

Rod Speed April 17th 19 02:17 AM

hot works

"Clive Page" wrote in message
[...]

The fire was originally detected but no one could find any fire so it was
assumed to be a false alarm. Turned out when a second alarm went off,
that the first one was real. Corse more alarms would have made the
original decision that it was just a false alarm less likely.

But lots of battery operated smoke detectors all over the
structure would likely see alarms going off like mad when
any real work is done, so wouldnt help much.