Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Question re li-ion Batteries

The battery in my Hudl2 tablet is no longer holding it's charge and
I'm looking at replacing it. I've found videos showing the procedure,
looks straightforward, and eBay has lots of adds for "new" batteries.

The thing is that although these might be "new" in the sense of being
not previously used, they are probably 5-6 years old and maybe never
charged (certainly not recharged during that time).

Do these type of batteries have a shelf life, I've seen very mixed
reports by people who have bought them.?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davidm wrote:
The battery in my Hudl2 tablet is no longer holding it's charge and
I'm looking at replacing it. I've found videos showing the procedure,
looks straightforward, and eBay has lots of adds for "new" batteries.

The thing is that although these might be "new" in the sense of being
not previously used, they are probably 5-6 years old and maybe never
charged (certainly not recharged during that time).

Do these type of batteries have a shelf life, I've seen very mixed
reports by people who have bought them.?

Dunno about the shelf life, sorry.
I did replace a battery in a Hudle2 a few years ago. Bought from ebay and it
worked fine. Still does.
I used a blunt Stanley Knife blade to get the back off the case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Davidm wrote:
The battery in my Hudl2 tablet is no longer holding it's charge and
I'm looking at replacing it. I've found videos showing the procedure,
looks straightforward, and eBay has lots of adds for "new" batteries.

The thing is that although these might be "new" in the sense of being
not previously used, they are probably 5-6 years old and maybe never
charged (certainly not recharged during that time).

Do these type of batteries have a shelf life, I've seen very mixed
reports by people who have bought them.?

Can't answer your question, but my experience of Li-Ion is their life is
way better than any of the older alternatives. Provided they have a decent
charger. And one laptop I have didn't. It fried the battery in short
order. So I got into the habit of only plugging in the replacement battery
when needed. And not leaving it on charge after it was re-charged. The no
name replacement from Ebay is still OK many years later.

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think to some extent it depends how they were stored, ie if they are
partially charged as per the manufacturers suggestions.
I also wonder if they are genuine. If they are then probably fine but I've
heard some terrible stories of look alike batteries for mobile gear which
have the cheapest heap of crap inside the makers feel they can get away
with.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Davidm" wrote in message
The battery in my Hudl2 tablet is no longer holding it's charge and
I'm looking at replacing it. I've found videos showing the procedure,
looks straightforward, and eBay has lots of adds for "new" batteries.

The thing is that although these might be "new" in the sense of being
not previously used, they are probably 5-6 years old and maybe never
charged (certainly not recharged during that time).

Do these type of batteries have a shelf life, I've seen very mixed
reports by people who have bought them.?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 13:52:32 UTC+1, Davidm wrote:
The battery in my Hudl2 tablet is no longer holding it's charge and
I'm looking at replacing it. I've found videos showing the procedure,
looks straightforward, and eBay has lots of adds for "new" batteries.

The thing is that although these might be "new" in the sense of being
not previously used, they are probably 5-6 years old and maybe never
charged (certainly not recharged during that time).

Do these type of batteries have a shelf life, I've seen very mixed
reports by people who have bought them.?

If you're looking at the cheaper ones they'll be grade C cells. Salvaged cells, a quick test to see if they hold some charge, if so they're wrapped & sold as new. Hence results are variable.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2019 13:52, Davidm wrote:
The battery in my Hudl2 tablet is no longer holding it's charge and
I'm looking at replacing it. I've found videos showing the procedure,
looks straightforward, and eBay has lots of adds for "new" batteries.

The thing is that although these might be "new" in the sense of being
not previously used, they are probably 5-6 years old and maybe never
charged (certainly not recharged during that time).

Do these type of batteries have a shelf life, I've seen very mixed
reports by people who have bought them.?

my experience is that they hold their initial charge very well
.......shelf life starts from when you use them .....

--
Report a bad lying Freemason to Mr Baker of UGLE Audi Vide Tace
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2019 13:52, Davidm wrote:
The battery in my Hudl2 tablet is no longer holding it's charge and
I'm looking at replacing it. I've found videos showing the procedure,
looks straightforward, and eBay has lots of adds for "new" batteries.

The thing is that although these might be "new" in the sense of being
not previously used, they are probably 5-6 years old and maybe never
charged (certainly not recharged during that time).

Do these type of batteries have a shelf life, I've seen very mixed
reports by people who have bought them.?

li-ion shelf life is really very good provided they are stored half charged.

several years is OK

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Davidm" wrote in message
The battery in my Hudl2 tablet is no longer holding it's charge and
I'm looking at replacing it. I've found videos showing the procedure,
looks straightforward, and eBay has lots of adds for "new" batteries.

The thing is that although these might be "new" in the sense
of being not previously used, they are probably 5-6 years old

Unlikely.

and maybe never charged (certainly not recharged during that time).

Again, unlikely.

Do these type of batteries have a shelf life,

Yes, but its unlikely to be relevant.

I've seen very mixed reports by people who have bought them.?

Yes, lot of crap batterys from china. With say the basic 18650 battery
there is a vast difference in the weight alone between the best of them
like the genuine panasonics and the worst of them and you can see
from the Big Clive teardowns why that is so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
Davidm wrote:
The battery in my Hudl2 tablet is no longer holding it's charge and
I'm looking at replacing it. I've found videos showing the procedure,
looks straightforward, and eBay has lots of adds for "new" batteries.

The thing is that although these might be "new" in the sense of being
not previously used, they are probably 5-6 years old and maybe never
charged (certainly not recharged during that time).

Do these type of batteries have a shelf life, I've seen very mixed
reports by people who have bought them.?

Dunno about the shelf life, sorry.
I did replace a battery in a Hudle2 a few years ago. Bought from ebay and
it worked fine. Still does.
I used a blunt Stanley Knife blade to get the back off the case.

getting the case off is the easy part

getting it back on again so that the "on" switch still works was a bitch

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 06:23:46 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

The thing is that although these might be "new" in the sense
of being not previously used, they are probably 5-6 years old

Unlikely.

If someone wanted your opinion, they would have rattled your cage, senile
cretin!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 23:36:15 UTC+1, Theo wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

If you're looking at the cheaper ones they'll be grade C cells. Salvaged
cells, a quick test to see if they hold some charge, if so they're wrapped
& sold as new. Hence results are variable.

I'm doubtful it'll be that for a tablet, which has a LiPo pouch cell not an
18650 round cell. Pouch cells come in so many shapes and sizes that I doubt
it's worth grading dead ones and trying to get them back into the supply
chain.

Really? How much are the genuinely new ones? If China can sell some scrap for a pound you bet they will. For £2 they'll be overjoyed.

New but having substandard electrolyte is more likely. In this case, if
getting the thing apart isn't too bad (and often it isn't for cheap
tablets), I'd be tempted to buy whatever and then be ready to change it
again in a year or two.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Apr 2019 13:52:30 +0100, Davidm
wrote:

The battery in my Hudl2 tablet is no longer holding it's charge and
I'm looking at replacing it. I've found videos showing the procedure,
looks straightforward, and eBay has lots of adds for "new" batteries.

The thing is that although these might be "new" in the sense of being
not previously used, they are probably 5-6 years old and maybe never
charged (certainly not recharged during that time).

Do these type of batteries have a shelf life, I've seen very mixed
reports by people who have bought them.?

Thanks for all replies. I'll give it a try and see how it goes, as for
my use I'd be hard pushed to find a new one (other manufacturer) to
replace it. There does seem to be a great del of choice around these
days for android tablets of that size.
Replacement batteries seem to start at around £10 and go up to £25 or
so (or 10 for £80!).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Do these type of batteries have a shelf life, I've seen very mixed
reports by people who have bought them.?

Thanks for all replies. I'll give it a try and see how it goes, as for
my use I'd be hard pushed to find a new one (other manufacturer) to
replace it. There does seem to be a great del of choice around these
days for android tablets of that size.
Replacement batteries seem to start at around £10 and go up to £25 or
so (or 10 for £80!).

FWIW, I've replaced my hudl2 battery (old one was bulging and had
distorted the case!), bought a replacement off for £10 eBay from a
seller with a lot of stock, dismantling them from unused/broken/returns
or what they call "genuine new".

The replacement battery life is similar to the cell that it replaced,
whilst absolutely not the performance that it was when new, it's enough
to do a few things. It I had the tuits, I could find a modern equivalent.

They must age, when sitting on the shelf flat and connected to a
permanent load. When batteries are stored unused, I thought best
practice was to keep them part charged?

I suspect sellers are now keen to get rid of them.

--
Adrian C