DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ballast running a UV germicidal tube... (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/634002-ballast-running-uv-germicidal-tube.html)

Jim K.. April 2nd 19 12:21 PM

Ballast running a UV germicidal tube...

Is there anything different about running a UV germicidal tube
than a normal fluorescent tube?

A vendor is advising that electronic ballasts are more sensitive
somehow & therefore unsuitable as a replacement for an old
ballast & separate starter setup...

TIA
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Brian Gaff April 2nd 19 02:18 PM

Ballast running a UV germicidal tube...

That sounds like a load of bollards to me.
The basic specs from the starting and running are the same, indeed if they
were not they just would make different ones for them and they don't. Of
course depending on the output frequencies it could affect any material the
unit was made from or coated in but otherwise....
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
o.uk...

Jim K.. April 2nd 19 04:41 PM

"Brian Gaff" Wrote in message:
That sounds like a load of bollards to me.
The basic specs from the starting and running are the same, indeed if they
were not they just would make different ones for them and they don't. Of
course depending on the output frequencies it could affect any material the
unit was made from or coated in but otherwise....
Brian

I tend to agree Brian. I know little about the the technicalities
of these things but shurely the internal discharge "arc" is the
same as a lighting tube, but the inside of the lighting tube is
coated in phosphor to fluorescence? rather than the UV tube being
plain glass to "let it all out"?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Thomas Prufer April 2nd 19 07:19 PM

Ballast running a UV germicidal tube...

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 16:41:58 +0100 (GMT+01:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

I know little about the the technicalities
of these things but shurely the internal discharge "arc" is the
same as a lighting tube, but the inside of the lighting tube is
coated in phosphor to fluorescence? rather than the UV tube being
plain glass to "let it all out"?

Quartz glass, but otherwise yes.

BigClive: "Good UV versus bad UV. All available on eBay."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpRMud6EFtE

Thomas Prufer

Jim K.. April 3rd 19 09:41 AM

wrote:

I know little about the the technicalities
of these things but shurely the internal discharge "arc" is the
same as a lighting tube, but the inside of the lighting tube is
coated in phosphor to fluorescence? rather than the UV tube being
plain glass to "let it all out"?

Quartz glass, but otherwise yes.

BigClive: "Good UV versus bad UV. All available on eBay."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpRMud6EFtE

Thomas Prufer

Interesting thanks.
I note big Clive used the exact same fluorescent batten fitting to
demonstrate all 3 tubes including a UVC tube!

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Dave Plowman (News) April 3rd 19 02:49 PM

Ballast running a UV germicidal tube...

In article ,
Jim K.. wrote:
"Brian Gaff" Wrote in message:
That sounds like a load of bollards to me. The basic specs from the
starting and running are the same, indeed if they were not they just
would make different ones for them and they don't. Of course
depending on the output frequencies it could affect any material the
unit was made from or coated in but otherwise....
Brian

I tend to agree Brian. I know little about the the technicalities
of these things but shurely the internal discharge "arc" is the
same as a lighting tube, but the inside of the lighting tube is
coated in phosphor to fluorescence? rather than the UV tube being
plain glass to "let it all out"?

Quite. If the ballasts were different, it would say so in the spec.

--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.