DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   New 'Workmate' recomendations please (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/633999-re-new-workmate-recomendations-please.html)

[email protected] April 2nd 19 11:47 AM

New 'Workmate' recomendations please

On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 09:47:32 UTC+1, Mark Allread wrote:
My old B&D Workmate had a terminal experience with a Deere by the name of
John and needs replacing.

The modern replacement appears to be a WM536 but I wondered if anyone had
any recommendations for any other type or has experienced and would not
recommend a 536. My price cap is £75 as it does not get a lot of use.

I made a portable workbench that was simply 1/4 of a pallet plus a vice in one corner. Found it much more useful than the workmate. Never got round to fitting legs.

NT

charles April 2nd 19 12:07 PM

New 'Workmate' recomendations please

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 09:47:32 UTC+1, Mark Allread wrote:
My old B&D Workmate had a terminal experience with a Deere by the name
of John and needs replacing.

The modern replacement appears to be a WM536 but I wondered if anyone
had any recommendations for any other type or has experienced and
would not recommend a 536. My price cap is £75 as it does not get a
lot of use.

I made a portable workbench that was simply 1/4 of a pallet plus a vice
in one corner. Found it much more useful than the workmate. Never got
round to fitting legs.

Why would you fit legs to a Workmate? It's an all-in-one device, which
folds flat for storage.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Jim K.. April 2nd 19 12:21 PM

Wrote in message:
On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 09:47:32 UTC+1, Mark Allread wrote:
My old B&D Workmate had a terminal experience with a Deere by the name of
John and needs replacing.

The modern replacement appears to be a WM536 but I wondered if anyone had
any recommendations for any other type or has experienced and would not
recommend a 536. My price cap is £75 as it does not get a lot of use.

I made a portable workbench that was simply 1/4 of a pallet plus a vice in one corner. Found it much more useful than the workmate. Never got round to fitting legs.

NT

Somehow I think coming down from a folding workbench to a bit of
an old pallet with no legs & a vice screwed to one corner might
be seen as a retrograde step... HTH
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Tim Watts[_5_] April 2nd 19 12:30 PM

New 'Workmate' recomendations please

On 02/04/2019 13:11, TMH wrote:
On 02/04/2019 11:47, wrote:

I use one of these, love it!

https://www.toolstation.com/keter-fo...FRlSk0 mRTll-

I have one - it's quite solid (I can stand on it!).

--
Email does not work

Jim K.. April 2nd 19 01:01 PM

New 'Workmate' recomendations please

charles Wrote in message:
In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 09:47:32 UTC+1, Mark Allread wrote:
My old B&D Workmate had a terminal experience with a Deere by the name
of John and needs replacing.

The modern replacement appears to be a WM536 but I wondered if anyone
had any recommendations for any other type or has experienced and
would not recommend a 536. My price cap is £75 as it does not get a
lot of use.

I made a portable workbench that was simply 1/4 of a pallet plus a vice
in one corner. Found it much more useful than the workmate. Never got
round to fitting legs.

Why would you fit legs to a Workmate? It's an all-in-one device, which
folds flat for storage.

Re-read required...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

TMH April 2nd 19 01:11 PM

On 02/04/2019 11:47, wrote:
On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 09:47:32 UTC+1, Mark Allread wrote:
My old B&D Workmate had a terminal experience with a Deere by the name of
John and needs replacing.

The modern replacement appears to be a WM536 but I wondered if anyone had
any recommendations for any other type or has experienced and would not
recommend a 536. My price cap is £75 as it does not get a lot of use.

I made a portable workbench that was simply 1/4 of a pallet plus a vice in one corner. Found it much more useful than the workmate. Never got round to fitting legs.

NT

I use one of these, love it!

https://www.toolstation.com/keter-fo...FRlSk0 mRTll-
Jb6Lvl7dflhNqOMmUiIaAgBSEALw_wcB

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

GB April 2nd 19 01:33 PM

On 02/04/2019 12:30, Tim Watts wrote:
On 02/04/2019 13:11, TMH wrote:
On 02/04/2019 11:47, wrote:

I use one of these, love it!

https://www.toolstation.com/keter-fo...FRlSk0 mRTll-

I have one - it's quite solid (I can stand on it!).

I have a basic Workmate, WM301, and I can stand on that, too. People who
have the Keter bench swear by it, though.

Lidl are doing a workbench currently for 15 quid. It has an MDF top, so
don't leave it out in the rain!

[email protected] April 2nd 19 02:19 PM

On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 12:18:32 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Somehow I think coming down from a folding workbench to a bit of
an old pallet with no legs & a vice screwed to one corner might
be seen as a retrograde step... HTH

Not in Hoxton or Shoreditch, where it would be known as a stylish occasional table.

Owain

Mark Allread[_4_] April 2nd 19 03:59 PM

New 'Workmate' recomendations please

On Tue, 02 Apr 2019 12:30:49 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 02/04/2019 13:11, TMH wrote:
On 02/04/2019 11:47, wrote:

I use one of these, love it!

https://www.toolstation.com/keter-fo...-bench/p10910?

store=G6&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed &utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkIz lBRDzARIsABgXqV9avYUuqevW1_p0ppQPOjmvFRlSk0mRTll-

I have one - it's quite solid (I can stand on it!).

Thanks TMH and TW - advice from people I'm happy to take advice from!

Jim K.. April 2nd 19 04:41 PM

Wrote in message:
On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 12:18:32 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Somehow I think coming down from a folding workbench to a bit of
an old pallet with no legs & a vice screwed to one corner might
be seen as a retrograde step... HTH

Not in Hoxton or Shoreditch, where it would be known as a stylish occasional table.

Owain

With no legs?? :-D

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

[email protected] April 2nd 19 06:11 PM

On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 14:19:44 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 12:18:32 UTC+1, JimK wrote:

Somehow I think coming down from a folding workbench to a bit of
an old pallet with no legs & a vice screwed to one corner might
be seen as a retrograde step... HTH

Not in Hoxton or Shoreditch, where it would be known as a stylish occasional table.

Owain

It proved a lot more useful. Obviously Jim hasn't tried it so doesn't know.
The slatted top also proved to be a useful feature, unexpectedly.

NT

Jim K.. April 2nd 19 06:21 PM

Wrote in message:
On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 14:19:44 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 12:18:32 UTC+1, JimK wrote:

Somehow I think coming down from a folding workbench to a bit of
an old pallet with no legs & a vice screwed to one corner might
be seen as a retrograde step... HTH

Not in Hoxton or Shoreditch, where it would be known as a stylish occasional table.

Owain

It proved a lot more useful. Obviously Jim hasn't tried it so doesn't know.

Jim isn't having much trouble imagining the "concept" :-D

Or armchair experts crawling around on the floor using their
legless ex part pallet workbenches & thinking "why aren't they
all like this!"

Bwahahahaha!

The slatted top also proved to be a useful feature, unexpectedly.

Somewhere to put your foot maybe? ;-)

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] April 2nd 19 06:30 PM

On 02/04/2019 13:11, TMH wrote:
On 02/04/2019 11:47, wrote:
On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 09:47:32 UTC+1, Mark AllreadÂ* wrote:
My old B&D Workmate had a terminal experience with a Deere by the
name of
John and needs replacing.

The modern replacement appears to be a WM536 but I wondered if anyone
had
any recommendations for any other type or has experienced and would not
recommend a 536.Â* My price cap is £75 as it does not get a lot of use.

I made a portable workbench that was simply 1/4 of a pallet plus a
vice in one corner. Found it much more useful than the workmate. Never
got round to fitting legs.

NT

I use one of these, love it!

https://www.toolstation.com/keter-fo...FRlSk0 mRTll-

Jb6Lvl7dflhNqOMmUiIaAgBSEALw_wcB

I got some wolfcraft thing IIRC wene my old one died

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] April 2nd 19 06:31 PM

On 02/04/2019 14:19, wrote:
On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 12:18:32 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Somehow I think coming down from a folding workbench to a bit of
an old pallet with no legs & a vice screwed to one corner might
be seen as a retrograde step... HTH

Not in Hoxton or Shoreditch, where it would be known as a stylish occasional table.

Owain

stylish UPCYCLED occasional table.

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Bob Eager[_7_] April 2nd 19 06:40 PM

On Tue, 02 Apr 2019 16:33:35 +0100, Jim K.. wrote:

Wrote in message:
On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 12:18:32 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Somehow I think coming down from a folding workbench to a bit of
an old pallet with no legs & a vice screwed to one corner might be
seen as a retrograde step... HTH

Not in Hoxton or Shoreditch, where it would be known as a stylish
occasional table.

Owain

With no legs?? :-D

Stylish Japanese ethnic occasional table.

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Jim K.. April 2nd 19 06:41 PM

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 02/04/2019 14:19, wrote:
On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 12:18:32 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Somehow I think coming down from a folding workbench to a bit of
an old pallet with no legs & a vice screwed to one corner might
be seen as a retrograde step... HTH

Not in Hoxton or Shoreditch, where it would be known as a stylish occasional table.

Owain

stylish UPCYCLED occasional table.

Can you have a "table" without legs?

Wouldn't it just be a rather thick bit of rough ****ty looking parquet?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

[email protected] April 2nd 19 06:42 PM

Wrote in message:
On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 12:18:32 UTC+1, JimK wrote:

Somehow I think coming down from a folding workbench to a bit of
an old pallet with no legs & a vice screwed to one corner might be
seen as a retrograde step... HTH

Not in Hoxton or Shoreditch, where it would be known as a stylish
occasional table.

Owain

With no legs?? :-D

Stylish Japanese ethnic occasional table.

I've seen a whole suite of furniture made from pallets. Looked good when covered up :)

NT

Jim K.. April 2nd 19 07:21 PM

Wrote in message:
On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 12:18:32 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Somehow I think coming down from a folding workbench to a bit of
an old pallet with no legs & a vice screwed to one corner might be
seen as a retrograde step... HTH

Not in Hoxton or Shoreditch, where it would be known as a stylish
occasional table.

Owain

With no legs?? :-D

Stylish Japanese ethnic occasional table.

Shurely that must be racist?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Theo[_3_] April 2nd 19 11:41 PM

wrote:
On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 18:31:04 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Not in Hoxton or Shoreditch, where it would be known as a stylish
occasional table.

stylish UPCYCLED occasional table.

Pardon me.

Slap a bit of creosote on it and you're good to go:
http://www.ralphlaurenhome.com/produ...3452 9&phaid=

Theo

[email protected] April 3rd 19 01:52 AM

On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 23:41:33 UTC+1, Theo wrote:
wrote:
On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 18:31:04 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Not in Hoxton or Shoreditch, where it would be known as a stylish
occasional table.
stylish UPCYCLED occasional table.

Pardon me.

Slap a bit of creosote on it and you're good to go:
http://www.ralphlaurenhome.com/produ...3452 9&phaid=

Theo

.... and several zeroes.

NT