Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 13 pin 12v trailer socket - standard parts?

A while back I didn't secure the caravan properly and tested the break
away cable. It worked, and the caravan stopped, but the 13 pin plug pulled
straight out of the socket on the towbar with consequent damage to the
plastic surround.

A bit of gaffer tape and it has more or less held together until yesterday
when my 7 - 13 pin adapter pulled out whilst in use.

I rush ordered a Ring replacement socket, but now that I've taken the
Westfalia socket out in preparation I find that the wiring is a central
plug which clips into the outer housing.

Asking now if anyone knows it this is a standard setup and outers and
inners from different manufacturers are compatible, or do I end up trying
to source a Westfalia outer to save rewiring the inner?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/19 14:33, David wrote:
A while back I didn't secure the caravan properly and tested the break
away cable. It worked, and the caravan stopped, but the 13 pin plug pulled
straight out of the socket on the towbar with consequent damage to the
plastic surround.

A bit of gaffer tape and it has more or less held together until yesterday
when my 7 - 13 pin adapter pulled out whilst in use.

I rush ordered a Ring replacement socket, but now that I've taken the
Westfalia socket out in preparation I find that the wiring is a central
plug which clips into the outer housing.

Asking now if anyone knows it this is a standard setup and outers and
inners from different manufacturers are compatible, or do I end up trying
to source a Westfalia outer to save rewiring the inner?

In my experience, they aren't all the same. I damage a 13 pin socket and
tried to just fit the 'outer' part (the bit that was damaged) to
discover the locating lugs were different. Of course, they 'mate', it is
the assembly bits that are the problem. Of course, you may be lucky and
find the ones you have are the same.

Your post is timely, I need to buy a spare socket for my 'spares kit'- I
knew there was something I'd missed!

(I'm a motorhomer, we tow a trailer with a Smart Car.)

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y