Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Nuisance caller attempts increasing again

After the number of nuisance calls my phone system was blocking, fell
to almost no calls, there has been a sudden increase in their number in
the past few days. 10 such calls yesterday blocked, all supposedly from
different spoofed numbers.

They do like to waste their time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
After the number of nuisance calls my phone system was blocking, fell
to almost no calls, there has been a sudden increase in their number in
the past few days. 10 such calls yesterday blocked, all supposedly from
different spoofed numbers.

They do like to waste their time.

Apparently my Internet service is compromised! Recorded announcement so
I suppose the only cost is the call charge.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 12:20:36 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
After the number of nuisance calls my phone system was blocking, fell
to almost no calls, there has been a sudden increase in their number in
the past few days. 10 such calls yesterday blocked, all supposedly from
different spoofed numbers.

They do like to waste their time.

Apparently my Internet service is compromised! Recorded announcement so
I suppose the only cost is the call charge.

I told them to fix it asap as I will be looking for compensation for
each day I am without service.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
After the number of nuisance calls my phone system was blocking, fell
to almost no calls, there has been a sudden increase in their number in
the past few days. 10 such calls yesterday blocked, all supposedly from
different spoofed numbers.

They do like to waste their time.

Apparently my Internet service is compromised! Recorded announcement so
I suppose the only cost is the call charge.

I have also had a few 'This is Microsoft Technical' calls from India
recently and after dispatching one (who was fairly persistent), also
had the 'This is BT Technical, your line is compromised' recorded
message with a press 1 or 2 option.

Me: But I have cable Internet, I don't use BT?

Him: Sir, did you know all Internet connections go though BT ...

After wasting the first callers time as long as possible and him
talking of 'blocking my Internet connection' if I didn't do as he
asked, his parting shot was that he was going to 'block my a$$'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After the number of nuisance calls my phone system was blocking, fell
to almost no calls, there has been a sudden increase in their number in
the past few days. 10 such calls yesterday blocked, all supposedly from
different spoofed numbers.

They do like to waste their time.

I had to disable my call blocker (TrueCall) so I could let through a call
from a large switchboard. Didn't really want to put them through the hoops
of leaving a message.

And the spam calls started again near right away. But didn't annoy as much
as before since I now have the means to block them.

--
*No sentence fragments *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes

Apparently my Internet service is compromised! Recorded announcement so
I suppose the only cost is the call charge.

I have also had a few 'This is Microsoft Technical' calls from India
recently and after dispatching one (who was fairly persistent), also
had the 'This is BT Technical, your line is compromised' recorded
message with a press 1 or 2 option.

Me: But I have cable Internet, I don't use BT?

Him: Sir, did you know all Internet connections go though BT ...

After wasting the first callers time as long as possible and him
talking of 'blocking my Internet connection' if I didn't do as he
asked, his parting shot was that he was going to 'block my a$$'. ;-)

I've had much stronger language than that, one even resorted to
what I presume was his mother tongue.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Had a new one last night. Asking for me by full name. "I understand you have shares in XXXX (a large multinational Co)". "I am calling from a large USA company who wishes to take this company over."

Me: Please confirm in writing. Caller Hangs up.

Makes a change from BT, MS and the other usual scammers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Had a new one last night. Asking for me by full name. "I understand you
have shares in XXXX (a large multinational Co)". "I am calling from a
large USA company who wishes to take this company over."

Me: Please confirm in writing. Caller Hangs up.

Makes a change from BT, MS and the other usual scammers.

Not very new, I had one like that about 3 years ago.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
After the number of nuisance calls my phone system was blocking, fell
to almost no calls, there has been a sudden increase in their number in
the past few days. 10 such calls yesterday blocked, all supposedly from
different spoofed numbers.

They do like to waste their time.

Apparently my Internet service is compromised! Recorded announcement so
I suppose the only cost is the call charge.

I have also had a few 'This is Microsoft Technical' calls from India
recently and after dispatching one (who was fairly persistent), also
had the 'This is BT Technical, your line is compromised' recorded
message with a press 1 or 2 option.

Never respond to these!

Me: But I have cable Internet, I don't use BT?

Him: Sir, did you know all Internet connections go though BT ...

Well ... he's wrong.

After wasting the first callers time as long as possible and him
talking of 'blocking my Internet connection' if I didn't do as he
asked, his parting shot was that he was going to 'block my a$$'. ;-)

Well, you're wasting your own time too. But I don't object if you're
willing to tie up some scum cold caller's time.

--
Little Britain leaves. Great Britain stays.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 13:53:54 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After the number of nuisance calls my phone system was blocking, fell
to almost no calls, there has been a sudden increase in their number in
the past few days. 10 such calls yesterday blocked, all supposedly from
different spoofed numbers.

They do like to waste their time.

I had to disable my call blocker (TrueCall) so I could let through a call
from a large switchboard. Didn't really want to put them through the hoops
of leaving a message.

And the spam calls started again near right away. But didn't annoy as much
as before since I now have the means to block them.

I've decided to implement a very agressive call-blocker which blocks
almost all unknown callers (i.e witheld, faked numbers etc). This has
taken a long time for me to decide, but I think the risk of missing
the odd legit call is worth it.

--
Little Britain leaves. Great Britain stays.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
After the number of nuisance calls my phone system was blocking, fell
to almost no calls, there has been a sudden increase in their number
in the past few days. 10 such calls yesterday blocked, all supposedly
from different spoofed numbers.

They do like to waste their time.

Apparently my Internet service is compromised! Recorded announcement
so I suppose the only cost is the call charge.

I have also had a few 'This is Microsoft Technical' calls from India
recently and after dispatching one (who was fairly persistent), also had
the 'This is BT Technical, your line is compromised' recorded message
with a press 1 or 2 option.

Never respond to these!

pressing '1' can connect you to a premium rate call number.

Recently, when I was bored, talked with the man from 'Microsoft Technical
Suport'. He asked me about the key to the right of the left-hand Control.
"It's a sort of gear wheel, "gear wheel?" "Yes, rather like the one you get
for 'settings' on a tablet." "Is it a tablet, then?" "No, it's a desktop
machine, but the symbol is just like the symbol on a tablet." long pause
"Is it a Windows machine ?" "No" Mr M$oft hangs up.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Hey you're on fire today Mark...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark wrote:
I had to disable my call blocker (TrueCall) so I could let through a call
from a large switchboard. Didn't really want to put them through the hoops
of leaving a message.

And the spam calls started again near right away. But didn't annoy as much
as before since I now have the means to block them.

I've decided to implement a very agressive call-blocker which blocks
almost all unknown callers (i.e witheld, faked numbers etc). This has
taken a long time for me to decide, but I think the risk of missing
the odd legit call is worth it.

The TrueCall is good in that you enter your phone book and it lets any on
that straight through. Any others have to jump through hoops to leave a
message. Which I'd say no spam caller is going to bother with. It's also
easy to disable - if you simply switch off the mains to it, it routes the
lines straight through. Quicker than entering a code. Downside is it isn't
free.

--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 16:31:01 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
[...]

I use a BT 8500 phone which is like TrueCall. i.e. It is effective.

--
Little Britain leaves. Great Britain stays.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

In article , Mark
wrote:
On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 13:16:21 +0000, T i m wrote:

I have also had a few 'This is Microsoft Technical' calls from India
recently and after dispatching one (who was fairly persistent), also had
the 'This is BT Technical, your line is compromised' recorded message
with a press 1 or 2 option.

Never respond to these!

pressing '1' can connect you to a premium rate call number.

Just run me through how you think that can be done?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2019 16:15, charles wrote:

wrote:

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
After the number of nuisance calls my phone system was blocking, fell
to almost no calls, there has been a sudden increase in their number
in the past few days. 10 such calls yesterday blocked, all supposedly
from different spoofed numbers.

They do like to waste their time.

Apparently my Internet service is compromised! Recorded announcement
so I suppose the only cost is the call charge.

I have also had a few 'This is Microsoft Technical' calls from India
recently and after dispatching one (who was fairly persistent), also had
the 'This is BT Technical, your line is compromised' recorded message
with a press 1 or 2 option.

Never respond to these!

pressing '1' can connect you to a premium rate call number.

That sounds unlikely... Got any supporting evidence?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
After the number of nuisance calls my phone system was blocking, fell to
almost no calls, there has been a sudden increase in their number in the
past few days. 10 such calls yesterday blocked, all supposedly from
different spoofed numbers.

They do like to waste their time.

Apparently my Internet service is compromised! Recorded announcement so I
suppose the only cost is the call charge.

And there isnt normally even a call charge anymore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking John Rumm wrote :
That sounds unlikely... Got any supporting evidence?

That rumour has been discounted as untrue before.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark has brought this to us :
I've decided to implement a very agressive call-blocker which blocks
almost all unknown callers (i.e witheld, faked numbers etc). This has
taken a long time for me to decide, but I think the risk of missing
the odd legit call is worth it.

That is what I do, only the known to the phones numbers get straight
through, the rest can deal with the blocker. Any valid organisation
will follow the procedure and get through the blocker, they are used to
them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) pretended :
The TrueCall is good in that you enter your phone book and it lets any on
that straight through. Any others have to jump through hoops to leave a
message. Which I'd say no spam caller is going to bother with. It's also
easy to disable - if you simply switch off the mains to it, it routes the
lines straight through. Quicker than entering a code. Downside is it isn't
free.

It is free with a set of BT8500 phones :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 13:53:54 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After the number of nuisance calls my phone system was blocking, fell
to almost no calls, there has been a sudden increase in their number in
the past few days. 10 such calls yesterday blocked, all supposedly from
different spoofed numbers.

They do like to waste their time.

I had to disable my call blocker (TrueCall) so I could let through a call
from a large switchboard. Didn't really want to put them through the hoops
of leaving a message.

And the spam calls started again near right away. But didn't annoy as much
as before since I now have the means to block them.

I've decided to implement a very agressive call-blocker which blocks
almost all unknown callers (i.e witheld, faked numbers etc). This has
taken a long time for me to decide, but I think the risk of missing
the odd legit call is worth it.

You might feel differently after someone you care about ends
up in the ER after a serious accident or medical emergency
and you only find out about it after they have died etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Mark has brought this to us :
I've decided to implement a very agressive call-blocker which blocks
almost all unknown callers (i.e witheld, faked numbers etc). This has
taken a long time for me to decide, but I think the risk of missing
the odd legit call is worth it.

That is what I do, only the known to the phones numbers get straight
through, the rest can deal with the blocker. Any valid organisation will
follow the procedure and get through the blocker, they are used to them.

But someone you know who is desperate for some help from
you, calling from someone else's phone or a borrowed mobile
may be too desperate to fart around with the blocker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2019 16:15, charles wrote:

pressing '1' can connect you to a premium rate call number.

You missed out 'not' as in 'can not'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jac Brown formulated the question :
You might feel differently after someone you care about ends
up in the ER after a serious accident or medical emergency
and you only find out about it after they have died etc.

Unlikely, all the emergency people, doctors etc. are well used to
dealing with these systems. All they need do is listen to the
announcement the system makes and follow the simple instruction.

The nuisance callers tend to use computers dialling numbers, which do
not follow the instruction - hence they are blocked.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

not in writing, but my ISP owner told me, And I tend to believe him.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 06:26:14 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Apparently my Internet service is compromised! Recorded announcement so I
suppose the only cost is the call charge.

And there isnt normally even a call charge anymore.

Maybe there is in his case, senile wisenheimer.

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 07:17:29 +1100, Jac Brown, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

That is what I do, only the known to the phones numbers get straight
through, the rest can deal with the blocker. Any valid organisation will
follow the procedure and get through the blocker, they are used to them.

But someone you know who is desperate for some help from
you, calling from someone else's phone or a borrowed mobile
may be too desperate to fart around with the blocker.

YOU are certainly desperate enough to spread your **** in ANY innocent
little thread, you obnoxious senile Ozzie troll! tsk

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

More fool you with that last, it isnt possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 07:00:34 +1100, Jac Brown, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

I've decided to implement a very agressive call-blocker which blocks
almost all unknown callers (i.e witheld, faked numbers etc). This has
taken a long time for me to decide, but I think the risk of missing
the odd legit call is worth it.

You might feel differently after someone you care about ends
up in the ER after a serious accident or medical emergency
and you only find out about it after they have died etc.

We've been through that a few weeks ago in an almost identical thread, and
now you KEEP repeating the same idiotic bull**** that was already refuted
back then, you obnoxious senile pest!

--
Cursitor Doom about Rot Speed:
"I'm not the least surprised. The man is a conspicuous and unashamed
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 20:32:55 +0000, charles wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I would get a new ISP if I were you. It is patently not true.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Makes more sense to just ignore what they say about that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 08:25:36 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

not in writing, but my ISP owner told me, And I tend to believe him.

More fool you with that last, it isnt possible.

Well, he was told so by his ISP owner. That doesn't make him a fool. But YOU
are a fool for displaying again what an obnoxious quarrelsome senile asshole
you really are, senile Rot!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 08:56:24 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Makes more sense to just ignore what they say about that.

Would make most sense to hit you with a baseball bat across senile big
mouth, senile Rot!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've noticed a gradual rise to mobile numbers as well over say, the last
month or so.
some are not spoofed but genuine chancers trying to sell stuff, usually
some financial service or crap junk from China.

At least some do have an opt out number to hit, and having checked this
against charges, it seems to be legitimate and worked.
On the landline its been pretty constant over time. I can tell from the call
recorders whisper files. These get recorded when the device asks you to
specify a name, and the pre recorded ones often stay connected long enough
to register a short recording. Most of the others hang up and every so often
I just add the numbers, real or otherwise to my local zap list

It must be a thankless task for a human which I imagine is why so many are
now pre recorded.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
After the number of nuisance calls my phone system was blocking, fell to
almost no calls, there has been a sudden increase in their number in the
past few days. 10 such calls yesterday blocked, all supposedly from
different spoofed numbers.

They do like to waste their time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"charles" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

It's total ********! You don't change an incoming call into an
outgoing one by pressing a numerical key. The only services that
charge you for receiving an *incoming*call are a couple of
reverse charge services which are hardwired into the UK phone
system and strictly controlled by OFCOM.

I haven't yet spoken to an ISP call handler, and not be told at
least one untruth.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2019 08:58, Graham. wrote:
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"charles" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Its possible to do it but it isn't done on the UK network.
Its quite easy to setup as an IN service.

Don't underestimate what the digital switches can do.

There may be some PABX systems that do it, there are a lot out there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Maybe they run a cr@p VoIP system that can?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The system is provided by Kingston Communications - in any case what has
that got to do with phones - that service comes from BT

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 10:24:07 +0000, charles wrote:

Maybe they run a cr@p VoIP system that can?

The system is provided by Kingston Communications - in any case what has
that got to do with phones - that service comes from BT

Are you *really* asking what VoIP has to do with phones???