Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building Quote abbreviation PC SUM?

I have a builders quote for various minor works

Most of the items are £YYY +VAT

But replacing some rotten wood in a car port is
priced as £XXX +VAT-PC SUM

in this context what is PC SUM?

There is an overall condition covering all items that is

PRICES INCLUDES LABOUR, MATERIALS, REQUIRED ACCESS AND REMOVAL OF SPOILS
FROM SITE

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 9:12:05 AM UTC, Chris B wrote:
I have a builders quote for various minor works

Most of the items are £YYY +VAT

But replacing some rotten wood in a car port is
priced as £XXX +VAT-PC SUM

in this context what is PC SUM?

There is an overall condition covering all items that is

PRICES INCLUDES LABOUR, MATERIALS, REQUIRED ACCESS AND REMOVAL OF SPOILS
FROM SITE

--
Chris B (News)

Prime Cost Sum Presumably he has quotedvcfor the work on a PC basis and is noe changing the price to time and materials less the quoted PC sum
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2019 10:23, TimW wrote:
On 20/03/2019 09:39, Chris B wrote:
On 20/03/2019 09:25, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 9:12:05 AM UTC, Chris B wrote:
I have a builders quote for various minor works

Most of the items are £YYY +VAT

But replacing some rotten wood in a car port is
priced as £XXX +VAT-PC SUM

in this context what is PC SUM?

There is an overall condition covering all items that is

PRICES INCLUDES LABOUR, MATERIALS, REQUIRED ACCESS AND REMOVAL OF
SPOILS
FROM SITE

--
Chris B (News)

Prime Cost Sum Presumably he has quotedvcfor the work on a PC basis
and is noe changing the price to time and materials less the quoted
PC sum

Thank you.
Just done a google on Prime Cost Sum and it all makes sense. When we
viewed the job we agreed that the full extent of the repair might not
be visible until the job was well underway.

With that information I think the line item should be
£XXX +VAT (PC SUM) ie not plus VAT minus PC SUM

For a builder 'PC Sum' = a guesstimate. And it always costs more than
you think. I wouldn't read any more into it than that.
TW

It sometimes means Provisional Cost, and is an "allowance" in cases
where the exact cost is not known. For example, the builder may be
sub-contracting some work to an electrician, and is putting a
guesstimated amount in to cover that aspect of the job. The actual cost
will depend on what the electrician charges.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris B
writes
With that information I think the line item should be
£XXX +VAT (PC SUM) ie not plus VAT minus PC SUM

Surely, the minus is not intended as a minus, but as an explanatory dash
- like this.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2019 09:12, Chris B wrote:
I have a builders quote for various minor works

Most of the items are £YYY +VAT

But replacing some rotten wood in a car port is
priced as £XXX +VAT-PC SUM

in this context what is PC SUM?

Heads I win, Tails you lose.