DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Adding water to expanding foam (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/633112-adding-water-expanding-foam.html)

Mathew Newton[_2_] March 19th 19 08:36 PM

Adding water to expanding foam

I seem to be using expanding foam more and more ever since I bought a gun applicator now that I can actually control the stuff and don't need to use it all up in one session.

I always read instructions, but don't always follow them. One instruction is the warning not to overfill - I am slowly getting there on this one - but another is the recommendation to mist spray the surfaces and/or foam (if applying layers) with water. I wondered what the actual effect would be (I know; I should just try it) and stumbled across https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com...spray-foam-tip which suggests it *really* does help - greater yield, faster cure and few voids.

Does anyone else do this?

Jim K.. March 19th 19 09:01 PM

Mathew Newton Wrote in message:
I seem to be using expanding foam more and more ever since I bought a gun applicator now that I can actually control the stuff and don't need to use it all up in one session.

I always read instructions, but don't always follow them. One instruction is the warning not to overfill - I am slowly getting there on this one - but another is the recommendation to mist spray the surfaces and/or foam (if applying layers) with water. I wondered what the actual effect would be (I know; I should just try it) and stumbled across https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com...spray-foam-tip which suggests it *really* does help - greater yield, faster cure and few voids.

Does anyone else do this?

Yes.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

harry March 20th 19 07:54 AM

On Tuesday, 19 March 2019 20:36:52 UTC, Mathew Newton wrote:
I seem to be using expanding foam more and more ever since I bought a gun applicator now that I can actually control the stuff and don't need to use it all up in one session.

I always read instructions, but don't always follow them. One instruction is the warning not to overfill - I am slowly getting there on this one - but another is the recommendation to mist spray the surfaces and/or foam (if applying layers) with water. I wondered what the actual effect would be (I know; I should just try it) and stumbled across https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com...spray-foam-tip which suggests it *really* does help - greater yield, faster cure and few voids.

Does anyone else do this?

It's water makes the foam go off (Usually from the air)
Also water improves adhesion (strangely)

So if injecting foam into a closed space, you need to spray a little water in first.