Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default 2-stroke mixture

I have a generator (cheap end) never used for 7 years so going to get it
working and sell on.
I only intend to mix up a ltre of petrol to a small amount of oil for
the 2-stroke mix. Just to get it working for test purposes.
For my purposes could I use either oil I have for the car or some oil I
have for the chain saw.
for my short running time would the oil be that important?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 19:41:00 +0000, ss wrote:

I have a generator (cheap end) never used for 7 years so going to get it
working and sell on.
I only intend to mix up a ltre of petrol to a small amount of oil for
the 2-stroke mix. Just to get it working for test purposes.
For my purposes could I use either oil I have for the car or some oil I
have for the chain saw.
for my short running time would the oil be that important?

I assume the chain saw oil is proper 2 stroke oil so that is what you
should use.

--
Ermin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ermin laid this down on his screen :
I assume the chain saw oil is proper 2 stroke oil so that is what you
should use.

Chain saw oil is the sticky oil, intended to stick to and lub the chain
as it flies around, wrong stuff for a two stroke.

Car engine oil at a pinch is better than nothing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ermin wrote:
On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 19:41:00 +0000, ss wrote:

I have a generator (cheap end) never used for 7 years so going to get it
working and sell on.
I only intend to mix up a ltre of petrol to a small amount of oil for
the 2-stroke mix. Just to get it working for test purposes.
For my purposes could I use either oil I have for the car or some oil I
have for the chain saw.
for my short running time would the oil be that important?

I assume the chain saw oil is proper 2 stroke oil so that is what you
should use.

'Chain Saw Oil' is, generally, oil for the *chain* not engine oil.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 18/03/2019 20:32, Chris Green wrote:
I assume the chain saw oil is proper 2 stroke oil so that is what you
should use.

'Chain Saw Oil' is, generally, oil for the*chain* not engine oil.

OK thanks, I will double check the oils tomorrow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2019 20:11, Ermin wrote:
On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 19:41:00 +0000, ss wrote:

I have a generator (cheap end) never used for 7 years so going to get it
working and sell on.
I only intend to mix up a ltre of petrol to a small amount of oil for
the 2-stroke mix. Just to get it working for test purposes.
For my purposes could I use either oil I have for the car or some oil I
have for the chain saw.
for my short running time would the oil be that important?

I assume the chain saw oil is proper 2 stroke oil so that is what you
should use.

No. a lot of 'chain saw oil' is in fact oil for the chain, not the engine

you can get a tiny little capsule of 2 stroke oil to mix with 5 litres
of petrol

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-P-21.../dp/B0069R45IQ

--
€œIdeas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

- John K Galbraith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ermin" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 19:41:00 +0000, ss wrote:

I have a generator (cheap end) never used for 7 years so going to get it
working and sell on.
I only intend to mix up a ltre of petrol to a small amount of oil for
the 2-stroke mix. Just to get it working for test purposes.
For my purposes could I use either oil I have for the car or some oil I
have for the chain saw.
for my short running time would the oil be that important?

I assume the chain saw oil is proper 2 stroke oil so that is what you
should use.

Not if he is talking about chain oil. Its very different to
2 stroke oil and I wouldnt use it in place of 2 stroke oil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 10:09:45 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I assume the chain saw oil is proper 2 stroke oil so that is what you
should use.

Not if he is talking about chain oil. Its very different to
2 stroke oil and I wouldn¢t use it in place of 2 stroke oil.

The answer was already provided by several others. Just what makes you
believe an answer is only valid when you repeat it? Your senility, you
senile idiot?

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2019 19:41, ss wrote:
I have a generator (cheap end) never used for 7 years so going to get it
working and sell on.
I only intend to mix up a ltre of petrol to a small amount of oil for
the 2-stroke mix. Just to get it working for test purposes.
For my purposes could I use either oil I have for the car or some oil I
have for the chain saw.
for my short running time would the oil be that important?

I think that all of the cheap generators that I have seen have been four
strokes (copied from a Honda engine). Just saying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 09:58:03 +0000, newshound
wrote:

On 18/03/2019 19:41, ss wrote:
I have a generator (cheap end) never used for 7 years so going to get it
working and sell on.
I only intend to mix up a ltre of petrol to a small amount of oil for
the 2-stroke mix. Just to get it working for test purposes.
For my purposes could I use either oil I have for the car or some oil I
have for the chain saw.
for my short running time would the oil be that important?

I think that all of the cheap generators that I have seen have been four
strokes (copied from a Honda engine). Just saying.

I have one of the smaller (600VA?) ones that seemed quite popular a
while back that is definitely a two stroke.

The 3kW is a 4/ and Honda powered. ;-)

I also have a little 12V 2/ genny and whilst it 'ran' the last time I
tried it, it wouldn't tick over (or even run a lowish revs) very well
and that was probably down to crank seals. ;-(

I gave my other 3kW genny (Honda clone powered) to a mate and he keeps
it in and runs it from his van.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/19 09:58, newshound wrote:
On 18/03/2019 19:41, ss wrote:
I have a generator (cheap end) never used for 7 years so going to get
it working and sell on.
I only intend to mix up a ltre of petrol to a small amount of oil for
the 2-stroke mix. Just to get it working for test purposes.
For my purposes could I use either oil I have for the car or some oil
I have for the chain saw.
for my short running time would the oil be that important?

I think that all of the cheap generators that I have seen have been four
strokes (copied from a Honda engine). Just saying.

The cheap ones, around £100 or less, tend to be 2 stroke. There are a
number which are 'badged'- typically 650-850W, with a petrol tank make
of pressed steel. They often have a 'cup' under the petrol cap to
measure the oil/petrol mix and the correct mix is marked on the tank
(from memory 50:1).

A four stroke will have somewhere to fill the 'sump' and possibly a
drain plug for same. The small Hondas don't have a drain, you tip the
beast up and pour the oil out of the filler.

Chain saw oil is the last type I'd use. Engine oil perhaps but the
proper stuff isn't expensive and why risk wrecking the engine?

Chances are the air filter has dried out. These are normally the foam
type. Wash in soapy water, rinse, squeeze, let dry. Then add just enough
engine oil to make dampish.

If it was left with petrol in the carb, chances are it will need
cleaning out. You may be lucky or you could try one of those sprays and
some 'carb cleaner' in the fuel.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 12:15:28 +0000
T i m wrote:

I also have a little 12V 2/ genny and whilst it 'ran' the last time I
tried it, it wouldn't tick over (or even run a lowish revs) very well
and that was probably down to crank seals. ;-(

Wasn't that because it's regulated to 3000 RPM?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

I also have a little 12V 2/ genny and whilst it 'ran' the last time I
tried it, it wouldn't tick over (or even run a lowish revs) very well
and that was probably down to crank seals. ;-(

Wasn't that because it's regulated to 3000 RPM?

I don't know, is it?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2019 08:10, Brian Gaff wrote:
Cheapskate!
Besides there are rumblings that this sort of engine will be outlawed for
pollution reasons pretty soon so I'd shift it before that happens!

Brian

Not really practical to ban them retro respectively, heaven knows how
many there must be on chainsaws, lawnmowers, motorbikes, generators,...

They could stop the sale of new ones but trying to stop people using
existing ones would be virtually impossible.

Even if they stopped the sale of 2 stroke oil, people would use
something else - probably generating more pollution.

For running power tools etc the 2 stroke generators are fine. I have one
I used to use charge batteries but I've now got a 4 stroke invertor one
which runs off propane (or petrol). The 2 Stroke one was under £100
new, the 4 Stroke nearer £1000. You can see why people like the 2 stroke
ones.

--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

I also have a little 12V 2/ genny and whilst it 'ran' the last
time I tried it, it wouldn't tick over (or even run a lowish revs)
very well and that was probably down to crank seals. ;-(

Wasn't that because it's regulated to 3000 RPM?

I don't know, is it?

It might be if it's a simple alternator rather than using an inverter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

I also have a little 12V 2/ genny and whilst it 'ran' the last
time I tried it, it wouldn't tick over (or even run a lowish revs)
very well and that was probably down to crank seals. ;-(

Wasn't that because it's regulated to 3000 RPM?

I don't know, is it?

It might be if it's a simple alternator rather than using an inverter.

I'm pretty sure it's a very basic unit and so likely (then?) only a
very simple alternator with some basic voltage regulation?

I get that (therefore) it wouldn't put out as much (electrical) power
at low revs but I wasn't really interested in that at the time, just
that it could tickover before being used to do something real (like
charge a car battery as a form of boost charger).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

I also have a little 12V 2/ genny and whilst it 'ran' the last
time I tried it, it wouldn't tick over (or even run a lowish revs)
very well and that was probably down to crank seals. ;-(

Wasn't that because it's regulated to 3000 RPM?

I don't know, is it?

It might be if it's a simple alternator rather than using an inverter.

The cheap ones are just an alternator, I've never checked how close they
run to 50 Hz.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2019 21:26, Brian Reay wrote:
On 19/03/2019 08:10, Brian Gaff wrote:
Cheapskate!
Besides there are rumblings that this sort of engine will be outlawed for
pollution reasons pretty soon so I'd shift it before that happens!

Brian

Not really practical to ban them retro respectively, heaven knows how
many there must be on chainsaws, lawnmowers, motorbikes, generators,...

They could stop the sale of new ones but trying to stop people using
existing ones would be virtually impossible.

Even if they stopped the sale of 2 stroke oil, people would use
something else - probably generating more pollution.

For running power tools etc the 2 stroke generators are fine. I have one
I used to use charge batteries but I've now got a 4 stroke invertor one
which runs off propane (or petrol).Â* The 2 StrokeÂ* one was under £100
new, the 4 Stroke nearer £1000. You can see why people like the 2 stroke
ones.

The four stroke alternator ones are OK for power tools too. The speed
dips a bit while an angle grinder is cranking up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

I also have a little 12V 2/ genny and whilst it 'ran' the last
time I tried it, it wouldn't tick over (or even run a lowish revs)
very well and that was probably down to crank seals. ;-(

Wasn't that because it's regulated to 3000 RPM?

I don't know, is it?

It might be if it's a simple alternator rather than using an inverter.

I'm pretty sure it's a very basic unit and so likely (then?) only a
very simple alternator with some basic voltage regulation?

I get that (therefore) it wouldn't put out as much (electrical) power
at low revs but I wasn't really interested in that at the time, just
that it could tickover before being used to do something real (like
charge a car battery as a form of boost charger).

Cheers, T i m

I don't know about small generators, but why would a simple generator
have a tickover speed, even on low or no load? It needs to maintain a
frequency of around 50Hz, so it needs to run at around 3000 rpm (for a
simple two-pole generator).

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 11:35:14 +0000
T i m wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's a very basic unit and so likely (then?) only a
very simple alternator with some basic voltage regulation?

I get that (therefore) it wouldn't put out as much (electrical) power
at low revs but I wasn't really interested in that at the time, just
that it could tickover before being used to do something real (like
charge a car battery as a form of boost charger).

If it's a simple alternator it has to run at 3000 RPM to produce 50 Hz
output - no reason for it to run at any other speed. It's not smart
smart enough to idle until something starts drawing current, although
there may be a manual switch to do that.