Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Internet and text (OT)

We take for granted that we can find music on the Web - and Artist details
will be available about the track.

However, I find myself wondering who keyed in the information to make it
available. When was it done and what was the incentive - who owned it, etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 18 March 2019 14:19:32 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
We take for granted that we can find music on the Web - and Artist details
will be available about the track.

However, I find myself wondering who keyed in the information to make it
available. When was it done and what was the incentive - who owned it, etc.

That depends on many things, smaller band will do this sort of stuff themselves including art work and videos, and will write their won music and lyrics.

While some of the larger more 'popular' might well have people write and do everything for them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote in
:

On Monday, 18 March 2019 14:19:32 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
We take for granted that we can find music on the Web - and Artist
details will be available about the track.

However, I find myself wondering who keyed in the information to make
it available. When was it done and what was the incentive - who owned
it, etc.

That depends on many things, smaller band will do this sort of stuff
themselves including art work and videos, and will write their won
music and lyrics.

While some of the larger more 'popular' might well have people write
and do everything for them.

I was thinking of the historic stuff - created before there was a need for
the info.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2019 14:19, DerbyBorn wrote:
We take for granted that we can find music on the Web - and Artist details
will be available about the track.

However, I find myself wondering who keyed in the information to make it
available. When was it done and what was the incentive - who owned it, etc.

I assume it's just /people being helpful/ (or not, if the data is wrong).

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2019 14:19, DerbyBorn wrote:
We take for granted that we can find music on the Web - and Artist details
will be available about the track.

However, I find myself wondering who keyed in the information to make it
available. When was it done and what was the incentive - who owned it, etc.

Some unlucky schoolkid whose mother eventually got sued by the RIAA?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2019 14:19, DerbyBorn wrote:
We take for granted that we can find music on the Web - and Artist details
will be available about the track.

However, I find myself wondering who keyed in the information to make it
available. When was it done and what was the incentive - who owned it, etc.

In a similar vein, who uploads all the megahousr of PRON that gets
uploded to servers everyday - who pays for the massive bandwidth
required, where does it get produced and who pays for it? Doesn't seem
to be sponsered by advertising.

Same with the newsgroup films and music - what's in it for the uploader?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well lots of CDs have cd text on them and if you have a computer you can
send this to public cddb sites if you like.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
We take for granted that we can find music on the Web - and Artist details
will be available about the track.

However, I find myself wondering who keyed in the information to make it
available. When was it done and what was the incentive - who owned it,
etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes you need to have records of who played on what and when and of course
under what contract terms. As you know the guy who played the sax solo on
GerryRafferty's Baker Street was offered royalties on the session but took a
session fee to help pay his bills. Both Gerry and Raf Ravenscroft are now
dead, but many times during his life he came to regret not going for
royalties...
Brian

--
----- --

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Monday, 18 March 2019 14:19:32 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
We take for granted that we can find music on the Web - and Artist
details
will be available about the track.

However, I find myself wondering who keyed in the information to make it
available. When was it done and what was the incentive - who owned it,
etc.

That depends on many things, smaller band will do this sort of stuff
themselves including art work and videos, and will write their won music
and lyrics.

While some of the larger more 'popular' might well have people write and
do everything for them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2019 14:19, DerbyBorn wrote:
We take for granted that we can find music on the Web - and Artist details
will be available about the track.

However, I find myself wondering who keyed in the information to make it
available. When was it done and what was the incentive - who owned it, etc.

Some CDDB entries get autopopulated from CD text, but a lot is
user-contributed. If i buy a CD that isn't in CDDB (or rather freedb),
I'll submit it for my own convenience and to help others.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
whisky-dave wrote in
:

On Monday, 18 March 2019 14:19:32 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
We take for granted that we can find music on the Web - and Artist
details will be available about the track.

However, I find myself wondering who keyed in the information to make
it available. When was it done and what was the incentive - who owned
it, etc.

That depends on many things, smaller band will do this sort of stuff
themselves including art work and videos, and will write their won
music and lyrics.

While some of the larger more 'popular' might well have people write
and do everything for them.

I was thinking of the historic stuff - created before there was a need for
the info.

Likely the same as wikipedia, some chose to do it without any particular
incentive or ownership involved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2019 15:47, DerbyBorn wrote:
whisky-dave wrote in
:

On Monday, 18 March 2019 14:19:32 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
We take for granted that we can find music on the Web - and Artist
details will be available about the track.

However, I find myself wondering who keyed in the information to make
it available. When was it done and what was the incentive - who owned
it, etc.

That depends on many things, smaller band will do this sort of stuff
themselves including art work and videos, and will write their won
music and lyrics.

While some of the larger more 'popular' might well have people write
and do everything for them.

I was thinking of the historic stuff - created before there was a need for
the info.

Well, I contributed entries for CDDB, for those CD's I had which were
not in the database at the time. Rather annoyingly, one of these
databases switched to being commercial, having started off as open.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
:

Yes you need to have records of who played on what and when and of
course under what contract terms. As you know the guy who played the
sax solo on GerryRafferty's Baker Street was offered royalties on the
session but took a session fee to help pay his bills. Both Gerry and
Raf Ravenscroft are now dead, but many times during his life he came
to regret not going for royalties...
Brian

I was originally thinking of music that was originally analogue and is now
digital with all the information retrievable if you download it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in
:

Yes you need to have records of who played on what and when and of
course under what contract terms. As you know the guy who played the
sax solo on GerryRafferty's Baker Street was offered royalties on the
session but took a session fee to help pay his bills. Both Gerry and
Raf Ravenscroft are now dead, but many times during his life he came
to regret not going for royalties...
Brian

I was originally thinking of music that was originally analogue and is now
digital with all the information retrievable if you download it.

It's all analogue, at least anything we (as in human beings) can hear
is analogue. If it claims to be digital it just means that one bit of
the route from original sound to our ears happens to be digitised.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:25:06 +0000, Chris Bartram wrote:

On 18/03/2019 14:19, DerbyBorn wrote:
We take for granted that we can find music on the Web - and Artist
details will be available about the track.

However, I find myself wondering who keyed in the information to make
it available. When was it done and what was the incentive - who owned
it, etc.

Some CDDB entries get autopopulated from CD text, but a lot is
user-contributed. If i buy a CD that isn't in CDDB (or rather freedb),
I'll submit it for my own convenience and to help others.

Same here. It's why, when using the CD ripper, I sometimes get presented
with two or three database entries and have to choose. The choice of
'genre' is often rather flaky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2019 18:55, Jac Brown wrote:

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
whisky-dave wrote in
:

On Monday, 18 March 2019 14:19:32 UTC, DerbyBorn* wrote:
We take for granted that we can find music on the Web - and Artist
details will be available about the track.

However, I find myself wondering who keyed in the information to make
it available. When was it done and what was the incentive - who owned
it, etc.

That depends on many things, smaller band will do this sort of stuff
themselves including art work and videos, and will write their won
music and lyrics.

While some of the larger more 'popular' might well have people write
and do everything for them.

I was thinking of the historic stuff - created before there was a need
for
the info.

Likely the same as wikipedia, some chose to do it without any particular
incentive or ownership involved.

When you fill details for tracks in on Windows Media Player yourself,
does it submit them back to the databases that it normally picks up
from? A few like entries could automatically update the databases.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 18/03/2019 18:55, Jac Brown wrote:

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
whisky-dave wrote in
:

[...]

Dunno, wouldn’t be hard to test if it does that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 05:55:03 +1100, Jac Brown, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

Likely the same as wikipedia, some chose to do it without any particular
incentive or ownership involved.

What are you now smartassing about again, senile Ozzie troll?

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 10:50:15 +1100, Jac Brown, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

Dunno

Haha!!! That's a new one, Mr Know-it-all! LOL

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2019 14:19, DerbyBorn wrote:
We take for granted that we can find music on the Web - and Artist details
will be available about the track.

However, I find myself wondering who keyed in the information to make it
available. When was it done and what was the incentive - who owned it, etc.

Many of the businesses that supply this kind of content seemed to start
out as collaborative efforts... i.e. you can download the tracklist for
your CD collection here, and if you find any that are not in the
database please feel free to create your own with our editor. BTW, you
can upload the result back to us as well.

Since you would probably want to do the work for your own collection,
there was little additional cost to allow others to share it.

Its how something like IMDB started. I remember a time when you needed
to download the client to access the database, and then a complete
database plus weekly updates to get in all the new bits. It was a shared
community effort to keep it updated.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 18 March 2019 15:47:09 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
whisky-dave wrote in
:

On Monday, 18 March 2019 14:19:32 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
We take for granted that we can find music on the Web - and Artist
details will be available about the track.

However, I find myself wondering who keyed in the information to make
it available. When was it done and what was the incentive - who owned
it, etc.

That depends on many things, smaller band will do this sort of stuff
themselves including art work and videos, and will write their won
music and lyrics.

While some of the larger more 'popular' might well have people write
and do everything for them.

I was thinking of the historic stuff - created before there was a need for
the info.

I think there was always a need for it. People have always had some reason for making their mark on the world from the very first cave painting of hands and animals they had their reasons for doing it, just as people have reasons for doing what they do today.
What is the reason for graffiti from killroy was 'ere to bansky .
Even the pyramids had the builders graffiti in them.

Trouble is in todays world it's usually for profit of some finacial or political/religious gain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

In fact you can make a case that there is rather less of that
than there used to be with blogs and wikipedia etc now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 04:46:26 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

What is the reason for graffiti from killroy was 'ere to bansky .
Even the pyramids had the builders graffiti in them.

Trouble is in todays world it's usually for profit of some finacial or
political/religious gain.

In fact you can make a case that there is rather less of that
than there used to be with blogs and wikipedia etc now.

Sadly, there is rather more of idiots like you now with blogs and wikipedia,
etc....

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 March 2019 17:46:36 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

I can't.
I contribute at £30 a year to wiki to help keep it ad free.
Most blogs I see loads of ads.

I don't see ads on the NG unless the posters chooses to add the ad themsleves.