Old March 17th 19, 01:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are acoustic boards worth double the price....

....if noise is not a massive issue anyway?

I'm boarding over a wall, between us and neighbours,
noise isn't a massive problem but I can hear them on occasion.
Wondered since i'm boarding anyway would it be worth the extra 50 quid
or so using the denser accoustic board?

I presume i'll lose a bit of noise anyway by adding standard boards.

Old March 17th 19, 01:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 12:05:34 +0000, R D S wrote:

...if noise is not a massive issue anyway?

I'm boarding over a wall, between us and neighbours,
noise isn't a massive problem but I can hear them on occasion.
Wondered since i'm boarding anyway would it be worth the extra 50 quid
or so using the denser accoustic board?

I presume i'll lose a bit of noise anyway by adding standard boards.

How many boards would you need? I would do it anyway on the basis (a)
the neighbours might change, (b) it could be a good selling point.and
(c) if you don't, if there is noise disturbance in the future you may
then regret it and get stressed..
Old March 17th 19, 03:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
...if noise is not a massive issue anyway?

I'm boarding over a wall, between us and neighbours,
noise isn't a massive problem but I can hear them on occasion.
Wondered since i'm boarding anyway would it be worth the extra 50 quid
or so using the denser accoustic board?

I presume i'll lose a bit of noise anyway by adding standard boards.

Not convinced so called acoustic board works any better than decent
plaster board. You need mass to stop sound.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old March 17th 19, 03:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Not convinced so called acoustic board works any better than decent
plaster board. You need mass to stop sound.

"soundblock" plasterboard is about 30kg a sheet compared to 24kg a sheet
for "normal" 12.5mm stuff ...

Old March 17th 19, 03:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2019 12:05, R D S wrote:
...if noise is not a massive issue anyway?

I'm boarding over a wall, between us and neighbours,
noise isn't a massive problem but I can hear them on occasion.
Wondered since i'm boarding anyway would it be worth the extra 50 quid
or so using the denser accoustic board?

I presume i'll lose a bit of noise anyway by adding standard boards.

I used 2 sheets overlapping of normal 12.5mm, making sure underfloor and
ceiling were well sealed in the process. Seemed to make a difference -
or next door's kids have become remarkably quiet.

--
Cheers, Rob

Old March 17th 19, 03:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Not convinced so called acoustic board works any better than decent
plaster board. You need mass to stop sound.

"soundblock" plasterboard is about 30kg a sheet compared to 24kg a sheet
for "normal" 12.5mm stuff ...

Quite. Either thicker than normal plasterboard, or a double layer.

--
*Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses*

Old March 17th 19, 04:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

I used 2 sheets overlapping of normal 12.5mm, making sure underfloor and
ceiling were well sealed in the process. Seemed to make a difference -
or next door's kids have become remarkably quiet.

I went the whole hog in the lounge, stud wall built away from the party
wall, filled with heavy rockwool batts, covered with barium loaded
rubber, two staggered layers of 12.5mm soundblock plasterboard suspended
from resilient bars, acoustic sealant ... it did make a lot of
difference ... but now I just tend to notice the noise coming through
via other rooms, and I can't really afford to lose 6" in them all ...
Old March 17th 19, 11:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Not convinced so called acoustic board works any better than decent
plaster board. You need mass to stop sound.

"soundblock" plasterboard is about 30kg a sheet compared to 24kg a sheet
for "normal" 12.5mm stuff ...

Quite. Either thicker than normal plasterboard, or a double layer.

Two layers is what I have always done in these situations.

Old March 18th 19, 09:23 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

That very much depends on how you hear things. If its structure borne, then
probably no much use, but if its just through the e wall all sorts of things
might make a difference, but sound isolation is one of those things where
the law of diminishing returns applies. Short of suspending a room within a
room with lots of absorptive stuff and triple glazed windows you will always
hear something.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Old March 18th 19, 11:31 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2019 22:58, JoeJoe wrote:
*** Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Not convinced so called acoustic board works any better than decent
plaster board. You need mass to stop sound.

"soundblock" plasterboard is about 30kg a sheet compared to 24kg a sheet
for "normal" 12.5mm stuff ...

Quite. Either thicker than normal plasterboard, or a double layer.

Two layers is what I have always done in these situations.

I'm butting up to a door casing, can't get away with doubling up, that
was my first instinct.