Old March 15th 19, 08:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tip recycling

The bins thread triggered this.

Yesterday I took a large double glazing unit and a smaller sheet of
glass to the tip. They have reorganised the segregation, so I asked
where to dump them.

"Oh in the scrap metal bin". I queried this asking whether I should just
throw them in on top. "Yes".

So now they have a skip almost full of scrap metal mixed in with broken
glass.

Does this make sense?
--
Bill

Old March 15th 19, 08:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 19:17, Bill wrote:
The bins thread triggered this.

Yesterday I took a large double glazing unit and a smaller sheet of
glass to the tip. They have reorganised the segregation, so I asked
where to dump them.

"Oh in the scrap metal bin". I queried this asking whether I should just
throw them in on top. "Yes".

So now they have a skip almost full of scrap metal mixed in with broken
glass.

Does this make sense?

I wonder if the aluminium will melt before the glass in the smelter or
the other way round? Either way, I presume it's a fairly quick way to
separate the components and prepare them for being reworked.

Nick
Old March 15th 19, 08:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 19:17, Bill wrote:
The bins thread triggered this.

Yesterday I took a large double glazing unit and a smaller sheet of
glass to the tip. They have reorganised the segregation, so I asked
where to dump them.

"Oh in the scrap metal bin". I queried this asking whether I should just
throw them in on top. "Yes".

So now they have a skip almost full of scrap metal mixed in with broken
glass.

Does this make sense?

Probably.

There is metal in the DG units. And separating metal and broken glass is
trivial.

When it goes for processing, it'll probably all be shredded, then it'll
go down a conveyor belt. They'll use a static electromagnetic field to
remove all the ferrous metals and then a rotating one to induce currents
and hence magnetic fields in the non-ferrous metals, firing them off the
side of the belt (see eddy current separator). Result, three streams -
one of ferrous metals, one of non-ferrous and the other of non-metals.

SteveW
Old March 15th 19, 08:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 19:31:10 +0000
Nick Odell wrote:

I wonder if the aluminium will melt before the glass in the smelter
or the other way round? Either way, I presume it's a fairly quick way
to separate the components and prepare them for being reworked.

Probably gets shredded and put through an inductive separator to remove
non-metallics.

Old March 15th 19, 10:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

So now they have a skip almost full of scrap metal mixed in with broken
glass.

Does this make sense?

Magnets will separate the ferrous, coils will induce eddy currents to
separate the non-ferrous, the rest is junk.

Old March 16th 19, 04:13 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 19:17, Bill wrote:
The bins thread triggered this.

Yesterday I took a large double glazing unit and a smaller sheet of
glass to the tip. They have reorganised the segregation, so I asked
where to dump them.

"Oh in the scrap metal bin". I queried this asking whether I should just
throw them in on top. "Yes".

So now they have a skip almost full of scrap metal mixed in with broken
glass.

Does this make sense?

They all melt

fully understood.

Old March 16th 19, 09:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

No but does anything make sense. If you are a successful glass recycler the
glut of glass presumably drives the payment per shipment down so they do
not bother to recycle it any more. Same goes for any commodity I'd imagine.
the thing is they need to not base this on economics but on energy usage.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Old March 16th 19, 10:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

If you are a successful glass recycler the
glut of glass presumably drives the payment per shipment down so they do
not bother to recycle it any more.

If glass is received sorted into clear/green/amber i.e. from bottle
banks it generally has a positive price per tonne, but if it's the
remnant glass from a mixed recycling facility, it generally has a
negative price per tonne (or a trivial positive price).
Old March 16th 19, 01:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Brian Gaff wrote:

If you are a successful glass recycler the
glut of glass presumably drives the payment per shipment down so they do
not bother to recycle it any more.

If glass is received sorted into clear/green/amber i.e. from bottle
banks it generally has a positive price per tonne, but if it's the
remnant glass from a mixed recycling facility, it generally has a
negative price per tonne (or a trivial positive price).

And ends up in concrete products.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old March 16th 19, 02:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Odell wrote:

I wonder if the aluminium will melt before the glass in the smelter
or the other way round? Either way, I presume it's a fairly quick way
to separate the components and prepare them for being reworked.

Probably gets shredded and put through an inductive separator to remove
non-metallics.

Aha! That would make sense. Ship the shredded aluminium out to the
smelter, then?

Nick