Old March 15th 19, 10:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stopping wheelie bins from blowing over?

On 15/03/2019 16:55, R D S wrote:
####ing wind!

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember
which I didn't yesterday.

So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?

I'd buy/build a housing but we've two at the moment and the council are
threatening us with a third so waiting to see how that plays out.

We have some bins normally kept next to a wall. I screwed eyes into the
wall and use a bungee to keep a bin in place. The bungee frayed, and I
did wonder if some animal had tried to chew it. We have a stack of
three little bins. Two have plastic flaps and one flap broke when I put
the stack of bins out to be collected and the stack got blown over. I
asked for a replacement flap. It was delivered free of charge the next day.

--
Michael Chare

Old March 15th 19, 10:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 21:14:37 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

On 15/03/2019 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 16:55:45 +0000, R D S wrote:

####ing wind!

On the topic of wheelie bins, are we alone in having dustmen that look
inside and will just take the bag if it's tied, rather than tip the
whole bin ? Does it save time ?

You are not alone! I suppose are rubbish is in a bag because we use
then in the kitchen pedal bin.

There's also the rather grey area of liability for any damage a bin
does *after* the nice bin men have emptied it. Maybe one for the legal
bods .....

To be honest, just 2 of us, we can go 4 weeks before the wheelie bin is
full ...
Old March 15th 19, 10:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

Bungie strap to hold the lid in place? Shouldn't matter if it keels
over then, but more bungie straps could fix that too ...
Old March 15th 19, 11:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:53:57 +0000, R D S wrote:

On 15/03/2019 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:

If they have something in them, doesn't that lower the CoG enough to
prevent tipping ? Seemed to on mine. Of course given how "woke" most
people are, they're probably putting the light stuff at the bottom,
heavy on top ....

Good idea.

Over the course of the fortnight in-between emptying the recycling bin,
i'll drink spirits in the first week, putting the heavy glass in first,
and have any mixers in the plastic bottles in week 2.

Nice one, problem solved.

Good old British ingenuity !

Doesn’t seem to be working with BRexit.

Old March 16th 19, 12:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 March 2019 16:55:49 UTC, R D S wrote:
####ing wind!

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember
which I didn't yesterday.

So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?

In our case a bungee cord tying together the handles of two bins together back-to-back has worked wonders. Separately they'd walk around in the wind, often falling over entirely, but together we've had no issues.

Old March 16th 19, 12:20 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 09:34:04 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Nice one, problem solved.

Good old British ingenuity !

Doesn˘t seem to be working with BRexit.

Didn't someone tell you to **** off to an Australian newsgroup, you ****ed
up psychopathic senile Ozzie troll?

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Old March 16th 19, 12:40 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 21:14:37 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

On 15/03/2019 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 16:55:45 +0000, R D S wrote:

####ing wind!

On the topic of wheelie bins, are we alone in having dustmen that look
inside and will just take the bag if it's tied, rather than tip the
whole bin ? Does it save time ?

You are not alone! I suppose are rubbish is in a bag because we use
then in the kitchen pedal bin.

There's also the rather grey area of liability for any damage a bin
does *after* the nice bin men have emptied it. Maybe one for the legal
bods .....

To be honest, just 2 of us, we can go 4 weeks before the wheelie bin is
full ...

With one of me and **** all waste, it takes much longer than that.
I do put quite a bit of stuff I freeze in the smallest plastic bags and
put the bread from the bread machine in a medium sized plastic
bag and the frozen peas/corn/capsicum come in plastic bags,
but it takes a hell of a lot of those to fill a wheely bin.

Old March 16th 19, 12:53 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 10:40:00 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH more senile troll****

Nobody gives a ****, about your ****, senile ****head!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Old March 16th 19, 09:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 15/03/2019 23:11, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Friday, 15 March 2019 16:55:49 UTC, R D S wrote:
####ing wind!

I'm sick of finding a wheelie bin on it's arse, empty, contents strewn
everywhere.

I put a paving slab on them which prevents this, but only if I remember
which I didn't yesterday.

So has anyone come up with a more 'set and forget' solution?

In our case a bungee cord tying together the handles of two bins together back-to-back has worked wonders. Separately they'd walk around in the wind, often falling over entirely, but together we've had no issues.

I have a piece of rope, one end tied to the garden bench the other end
has a lump of paving slab tied to it, when windy I pull the rope over
the 3 bins and sit the slab on the ground.
Old March 16th 19, 09:15 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 18:21:08 +0000, Rob Morley wrote:

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:20:30 -0000 (UTC)
Jethro_uk wrote:

On the topic of wheelie bins, are we alone in having dustmen that
look inside and will just take the bag if it's tied, rather than tip
the whole bin ? Does it save time ?

Well, they don't have to take the bin back if they take the bag out,
but who knows how much time looking in every bin adds up?
Our bin usually has multiple smaller bags in it, so better to tip it.
Wherever I leave it for them they usually manage to return it by a wall
close to a lamp post where it's most likely to inconvenience someone
with e.g. a tandem push-chair.

'Companiable' push-chairs are even wider!
We have a standard footway then a wide verge. The bindroids (dimdroids?)
mange to leave the bins in the middle of the footway. Another metre wouldn't
be too difficult, surely.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Can I chuck unused wheelie bins in a skip? R D S[_2_] UK diy 62 February 13th 19 11:41 PM
wheelie bins Dave UK diy 60 August 14th 10 01:32 AM
OT wheelie bin pollution rant Dave UK diy 3 July 7th 06 11:55 PM
OT wheelie bin pollution rant Guy King UK diy 0 July 7th 06 02:51 PM
OT wheelie bin pollution rant [email protected] UK diy 0 July 7th 06 01:48 PM