Old March 15th 19, 04:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT:UK RAF airfields mined 1939-1945 ?????

(Story below)

following this news, I ran into a couple of people claiming it could have
been a UK planted bomb "in case of invasion" ... immediately sparking my
bull**** detector.

Quite aside from the risky procedure of placing high explosives where our
own aircraft (themselves laden with HEs) were taking off and landing
which I doubt anyway, surely all such measures were quickly
decommissioned after the end of the war ?

Given how much work went into the UKs wartime defences, it's quite
remarkable how little remains.

Can any posters here confirm or refute my scepticism that while scorched
earth is a valid military practice, the RAF mining it's own airfields
would not have made sense during WW2 ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-47577930

https://is.gd/jTpjCH

An unexploded World War Two bomb has been found on a disused airfield
planned to be used as a lorry park in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

The bomb was found earlier at Manston Airport, Kent, and police and army
bomb disposal experts were called in.

Old March 15th 19, 04:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/19 15:15, Jethro_uk wrote:
(Story below)

following this news, I ran into a couple of people claiming it could have
been a UK planted bomb "in case of invasion" ... immediately sparking my
bull**** detector.

Quite aside from the risky procedure of placing high explosives where our
own aircraft (themselves laden with HEs) were taking off and landing
which I doubt anyway, surely all such measures were quickly
decommissioned after the end of the war ?

Given how much work went into the UKs wartime defences, it's quite
remarkable how little remains.

Can any posters here confirm or refute my scepticism that while scorched
earth is a valid military practice, the RAF mining it's own airfields
would not have made sense during WW2 ?

Explosives were laid to destroy at least some runways in Kent, including
at Rochester. They've been 'found' on a few occasions I can recall,
including a Rochester- a bit worrying as I took off and landed there
numerous times when training and in the company aircraft.

I don't think Rochester was used operationally but they did build
aircraft there and, I assume, flew them out. The area was bombed,
including the nearby Fort Bridgewoods (now gone), a radio interception
station- although that was probably a 'stray' intended for the factory.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ
Old March 15th 19, 05:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 15:15, Jethro_uk wrote:
(Story below)

following this news, I ran into a couple of people claiming it could have
been a UK planted bomb "in case of invasion" ... immediately sparking my
bull**** detector.

Quite aside from the risky procedure of placing high explosives where our
own aircraft (themselves laden with HEs) were taking off and landing
which I doubt anyway, surely all such measures were quickly
decommissioned after the end of the war ?

Given how much work went into the UKs wartime defences, it's quite
remarkable how little remains.

Can any posters here confirm or refute my scepticism that while scorched
earth is a valid military practice, the RAF mining it's own airfields
would not have made sense during WW2 ?

It could easily have been one that got bombed, and buried beyond
retreival and the people who knew where it was were killed and the
paperwork burned in a raid.

Wars are fairly disorganised.

Old March 15th 19, 06:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 16:16:33 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

While generally true, it's amazing how much administration was undertaken
and survived. The program a couple of years back where they had records
of individual bombs falling cross referenced with the Luftwaffe flights
that dropped them (or so they said ...). Also the records around the
manufacture, issue and recall (or not !) of firearms.
Old March 15th 19, 06:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 17:10, Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

I read a book by te guy that wrote the Flashman series George Mcdonald
Fraser?

Her recounted his wartimne experienecs in the far east. The official
account of the campauign said a couple of things which conrtradicted his
direct experience. The one I remember was the use a rather unusal
weapon of which there was no record of being in that theatre at ALL

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat

Old March 15th 19, 06:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Surely, they would easily have had time to just blow them up in any case why
plant mines unless they absolutely knew the only aircraft landing were enemy
ones. I believe that was used in some parts of Europe by fleeing military to
make it hard for the Germans, but here?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to

Old March 15th 19, 06:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:21:44 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

I must admit, the idea of a buried squadron of Spitfires somewhere out
east stretched my credulity ....
Old March 15th 19, 06:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:21:47 +0000, Brian-Gaff wrote:

Surely, they would easily have had time to just blow them up in any case
why plant mines unless they absolutely knew the only aircraft landing
were enemy ones. I believe that was used in some parts of Europe by
fleeing military to make it hard for the Germans, but here?
Brian

Sort of chiming with my thinking. I'm not disputing the fact that armies
deliberately sabotage/booby trap things on their own side - particularly
in retreat.

However the Kent airfields were never under threat of *immediate*
occupation so lacing the ground with explosives seems a bit far-fetched.
More the sort of story you'd want the enemy to believe (easily achieved
by telling the locals it's what was done ....).

I know there's truth in the auxiliary units that were tasked with going
to ground in secret bunkers to conduct a guerilla war-until-killed
(starting with assassinating the local top brass ....).
Old March 15th 19, 06:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 17:33, Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

There probably is something like that tho.

All sorts of stuff gor abandined in retreats

I mean look at the hordes of saxon gold we find - someone buried it and
never came back...

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Old March 15th 19, 06:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

(Story below)

following this news, I ran into a couple of people claiming it could have
been a UK planted bomb "in case of invasion" ... immediately sparking my
bull**** detector.

Quite aside from the risky procedure of placing high explosives where our
own aircraft (themselves laden with HEs) were taking off and landing
which I doubt anyway, surely all such measures were quickly
decommissioned after the end of the war ?

Given how much work went into the UKs wartime defences, it's quite
remarkable how little remains.

Can any posters here confirm or refute my scepticism that while scorched
earth is a valid military practice, the RAF mining it's own airfields
would not have made sense during WW2 ?

Apart from Occam's razor suggesting it was one of very many German bombs
dropped on British airfields, there seem no reason why Britsh booby trap
bombs, or demolition bombs, should have been put in an aerial bomb
casings

--

Roger Hayter