Old March 15th 19, 10:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT:UK RAF airfields mined 1939-1945 ?????

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 19:15:35 +0000, nothanks wrote:

On 15/03/2019 15:15, Jethro_uk wrote:
(Story below)

following this news, I ran into a couple of people claiming it could
have been a UK planted bomb "in case of invasion" ... immediately
sparking my bull**** detector.

Quite aside from the risky procedure of placing high explosives where
our own aircraft (themselves laden with HEs) were taking off and
landing which I doubt anyway, surely all such measures were quickly
decommissioned after the end of the war ?

Given how much work went into the UKs wartime defences, it's quite
remarkable how little remains.

Can any posters here confirm or refute my scepticism that while
scorched earth is a valid military practice, the RAF mining it's own
airfields would not have made sense during WW2 ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-47577930

https://is.gd/jTpjCH

An unexploded World War Two bomb has been found on a disused airfield
planned to be used as a lorry park in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

The bomb was found earlier at Manston Airport, Kent, and police and
army bomb disposal experts were called in.

I know of one airfield (and I think a couple more, but am slight less
certain) where demolition explosives were found underneath the runway
when it was being repaired. You will find this interesting, I think:
https://assets.publishing.service.go...ploads/system/

uploads/attachment_data/file/392389/19890627_Op_Crabstick_HBA_Redacted.pdf

Ah, more like it ! Fascinating tx !

Old March 15th 19, 10:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Her recounted his wartimne experienecs in the far east. The official
account of the campauign said a couple of things which conrtradicted his
direct experience. The oneÂ* I remember was the use a rather unusal
weapon of which there was no record of being in that theatre at ALL

My father was a FAA pilot. There are a few places where his personal log
disagrees with the ship's log.

Andy
Old March 15th 19, 11:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:21:47 +0000, Brian-Gaff wrote:

Surely, they would easily have had time to just blow them up in any case
why plant mines unless they absolutely knew the only aircraft landing
were enemy ones. I believe that was used in some parts of Europe by
fleeing military to make it hard for the Germans, but here?
Brian

Sort of chiming with my thinking. I'm not disputing the fact that armies
deliberately sabotage/booby trap things on their own side - particularly
in retreat.

However the Kent airfields were never under threat of *immediate*
occupation so lacing the ground with explosives seems a bit far-fetched.
More the sort of story you'd want the enemy to believe (easily achieved
by telling the locals it's what was done ....).

I know there's truth in the auxiliary units that were tasked with going
to ground in secret bunkers to conduct a guerilla war-until-killed
(starting with assassinating the local top brass ....).

Yeah, Portillo had one of the ones involved in doing that on his
Abandoned Britain. Some of the bunkers are still there even now.

Old March 15th 19, 11:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 17:33, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:21:44 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 15/03/2019 17:10, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 16:16:33 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 15/03/2019 15:15, Jethro_uk wrote:
(Story below)

following this news, I ran into a couple of people claiming it could
have been a UK planted bomb "in case of invasion" ... immediately
sparking my bull**** detector.

Quite aside from the risky procedure of placing high explosives where
our own aircraft (themselves laden with HEs) were taking off and
landing which I doubt anyway, surely all such measures were quickly
decommissioned after the end of the war ?

Given how much work went into the UKs wartime defences, it's quite
remarkable how little remains.

Can any posters here confirm or refute my scepticism that while
scorched earth is a valid military practice, the RAF mining it's own
airfields would not have made sense during WW2 ?

It could easily have been one that got bombed, and buried beyond
retreival and the people who knew where it was were killed and the
paperwork burned in a raid.

Wars are fairly disorganised.

While generally true, it's amazing how much administration was
undertaken and survived. The program a couple of years back where they
had records of individual bombs falling cross referenced with the
Luftwaffe flights that dropped them (or so they said ...). Also the
records around the manufacture, issue and recall (or not !) of
firearms.

I read a book by te guy that wrote the Flashman series George Mcdonald
Fraser?

Her recounted his wartimne experienecs in the far east. The official
account of the campauign said a couple of things which conrtradicted his
direct experience. The one I remember was the use a rather unusal
weapon of which there was no record of being in that theatre at ALL

I must admit, the idea of a buried squadron of Spitfires somewhere out
east stretched my credulity ....

There probably is something like that tho.

All sorts of stuff gor abandined in retreats

I doubt too many Spits did.

I mean look at the hordes of saxon gold we find - someone buried it and
never came back...

That’s different, most likely the individual who buried
it got killed so no one else knew where it was buried.

Old March 15th 19, 11:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:49:37 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

his direct experience. The one I remember was the use a rather unusal
weapon of which there was no record of being in that theatre at ALL

I must admit, the idea of a buried squadron of Spitfires somewhere out
east stretched my credulity ....

There probably is something like that tho.

All sorts of stuff gor abandined in retreats

I mean look at the hordes of saxon gold we find - someone buried it and
never came back...

A couple of finds ... you're (sadly) not tripping over them everywhere.

I guess once an army is retreating it's not only lost the need for
the heavy stuff, but it's a damn liability trying to take it with you.

Yeah, that’s certainly what happened with Dunkirk. Hard
enough getting the people home let alone the artillery etc.

But none of that applies in *Kent* 1939-1945.
Not only was Britain never invaded,

But some preparations were made in case
that happened early on just after Dunkirk.

the risk subsided after the Germans implemented Barbarossa.

In the absence of credible documentation, I maintain a
scepticism that there are caches of high explosive slowly
decaying into instability below the airfields of England.

Old March 15th 19, 11:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UK RAF airfields mined 1939-1945 ?????

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message ...

[...]

invaded, the risk subsided after the Germans implemented Barbarossa.

In the absence of credible documentation, I maintain a scepticism that
there are caches of high explosive slowly decaying into instability below
the airfields of England.

It is well documented that many airfields and some roads and bridges had
Canadian 'Pipe mines' incorporated following the Dunkirk evacuation to deny
them to a German invasion (operation Sealion). Perfectly possible that some
are in place as they were still being found in the 1970's

Andrew

Old March 16th 19, 12:07 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 09:37:36 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Now ALSO an expert in WWII, you totally ****ed up senile psychopath? LMAO

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Old March 16th 19, 12:10 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 09:31:32 +1100, Jac Brown, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

I mean look at the hordes of saxon gold we find - someone buried it and
never came back...

That¢s different, most likely the individual who buried
it got killed so no one else knew where it was buried.

Define "most likely", you endlessly driveling bigmouthed senile psychopath!
BG

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Old March 16th 19, 12:14 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 09:24:49 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Yeah, Portillo had one of the ones involved in doing that on his
Abandoned Britain. Some of the bunkers are still there even now.

You saw them? You been there, senile bigmouth?

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."
Old March 16th 19, 12:15 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 21:26, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 19:40:52 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Jethro_uk
wrote:

In the absence of credible documentation, I maintain a scepticism that
there are caches of high explosive slowly decaying into instability
below the airfields of England.

Well there is that ship in the Thames estuary.

Was it put there deliberately to trouble any invasion ?

No, to quote:
The ship, SS Richard Montgomery, an American Liberty ship, was wrecked
off the Nore sandbank in the Thames Estuary, near Sheerness, England in
1944, whilst carrying a cargo of munitions. Around 1,400 tonnes (1,500
short tons) of explosives remain on board, which continue to be a hazard
to the area.

I have seen the masts from a distance.

--
Michael Chare