Old March 15th 19, 05:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Demolition Breaker

On 15/03/2019 16:45, ss wrote:
On 15/03/2019 15:49, Tim+ wrote:
I once broke up a similar area with just a sledge hammer. If you can
lever
up a bit with a pick axe to create a tiny space underneath, it’s not that
hard to break up, and very satisfying.;-)

+1
I used a mixture of SDS plus with chisel and levering up and smacking
with a large sledge hammer took me about 2 or 3 days for a similar size.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I have SDSd and couple of small areas, just to see how thick the slab
is. It was much harder work than I thought it'd be. The chisel bit
didn't manage to break the concrete, so a series of holes and cold chisel.

But I think I'll try the sledge hammer approach - I think a mate has one
I can borrow. Much as I'd like a new toy :-)

--
Cheers, Rob

Old March 15th 19, 05:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 16:01, Brian Reay wrote:

A drill and a breaker are different beasts. While some SDS drills have a
nominal breaker function (ie you can have the hammer action without the
rotary action), I doubt they are intended for serious breaking. For
example, taking down a brick wall is far less demanding than breaking a
concrete slab.

Very true.

I have tackled stuff with a 2kg SDS and you can make progress.

But when I borrowed a full sized jackhammer off a builder, I demolished
a couple of 4" "farmers" concrete slabs in literally a couple of
minutes, leaving me to pick up a lot of small sized bits and stick them
in the skip.

--
Email does not work
Old March 15th 19, 05:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 17:04, RJH wrote:
On 15/03/2019 16:45, ss wrote:
On 15/03/2019 15:49, Tim+ wrote:
I once broke up a similar area with just a sledge hammer. If you can
lever
up a bit with a pick axe to create a tiny space underneath, it’s not
that
hard to break up, and very satisfying.;-)

+1
I used a mixture of SDS plus with chisel and levering up and smacking
with a large sledge hammer took me about 2 or 3 days for a similar size.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I have SDSd and couple of small areas, just to see how thick the slab
is. It was much harder work than I thought it'd be. The chisel bit
didn't manage to break the concrete, so a series of holes and cold chisel.

But I think I'll try the sledge hammer approach - I think a mate has one
I can borrow. Much as I'd like a new toy :-)

I can assure you that a conctete saw will reduce 4" slab to liftable
strips in minutes

"Saki"
Old March 15th 19, 05:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:04:06 +0000, RJH wrote:

On 15/03/2019 16:45, ss wrote:
On 15/03/2019 15:49, Tim+ wrote:
I once broke up a similar area with just a sledge hammer. If you can
lever
up a bit with a pick axe to create a tiny space underneath, its not that
hard to break up, and very satisfying.;-)

+1
I used a mixture of SDS plus with chisel and levering up and smacking
with a large sledge hammer took me about 2 or 3 days for a similar size.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I have SDSd and couple of small areas, just to see how thick the slab
is. It was much harder work than I thought it'd be. The chisel bit
didn't manage to break the concrete, so a series of holes and cold chisel.

But I think I'll try the sledge hammer approach - I think a mate has one
I can borrow. Much as I'd like a new toy :-)

I had similar about 15 years ago. The concrete was perhaps a bit thicker and
f'ing hard! (I don't know why, as it was only a path).
Tried a 7lb one - bouncy-bouncy. Borrowed a 14 pounder and that /just/
managed.
I'm 6' 4" and I forced the hammer down as hard as I could (lifted my feet
off the ground) and kept the force on the hammer after it had hit. Typically
4 - 6 blows, naer the dge, to get it started.
I reckon somebody had installed a 30"-wide runway for a Galaxy!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old March 15th 19, 07:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/03/2019 16:45, ss wrote:
On 15/03/2019 15:49, Tim+ wrote:
I once broke up a similar area with just a sledge hammer. If you can
lever
up a bit with a pick axe to create a tiny space underneath, it’s not that
hard to break up, and very satisfying.;-)

+1
I used a mixture of SDS plus with chisel and levering up and smacking
with a large sledge hammer took me about 2 or 3 days for a similar size.

+2 But it's a 2 man job.

One "lifts" the concrete and the other one hits it with the sledgehammer.

--
Adam

Old March 15th 19, 07:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 19:06:37 +0000
ARW wrote:

+2 But it's a 2 man job.

One "lifts" the concrete and the other one hits it with the
sledgehammer.

If you can lift it you can stick a wedge under it ...

Old March 15th 19, 07:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Reading some of the replies to this problem I really have to question some of the advice given especially when talking of spending 2-3 days using tools not really suited for the job just to save a few quid. The solution is obvious hire a breaker, a local hire shop here will hire one out for £35 a day and the job will be done in a couple of hours never mind two days. I am all for saving money on a job but as for spending days choking on concrete saw dust or swinging sledge hammers is worth £35 of my money any day!

Richard
Old March 15th 19, 08:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 17:04, RJH wrote:
On 15/03/2019 16:45, ss wrote:
On 15/03/2019 15:49, Tim+ wrote:
I once broke up a similar area with just a sledge hammer. If you can
lever
up a bit with a pick axe to create a tiny space underneath, it’s not
that
hard to break up, and very satisfying.;-)

+1
I used a mixture of SDS plus with chisel and levering up and smacking
with a large sledge hammer took me about 2 or 3 days for a similar size.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I have SDSd and couple of small areas, just to see how thick the slab
is. It was much harder work than I thought it'd be. The chisel bit
didn't manage to break the concrete, so a series of holes and cold chisel.

But I think I'll try the sledge hammer approach - I think a mate has one
I can borrow. Much as I'd like a new toy :-)

A lot depends on the cement content of the original mix. Whatever tool
you have, you really need to be working from an edge. Personally, I'd be
happy to invest 100 notes in one of those to save having to use a sledge
hammer too much.
Old March 15th 19, 08:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 16:24, [email protected] wrote:
On 15/03/2019 16:17, harry wrote:
On Friday, 15 March 2019 14:44:22 UTC, RJH* wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

--
Cheers, Rob

4" max?* Easy job with a sledge hammer.

Big lever under edge to lift it off the ground a bit and hit it with a
sledge and it will break easily.

Don't lift it and the ground absorbs much of the energy and its harder
work.

Agreed but he's not going to lift a 5m x 5m slab (at least, not without
a 3 series JCB). OK to attack a half metre sized piece that way.
Old March 15th 19, 09:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 15/03/2019 17:04, RJH wrote:
On 15/03/2019 16:45, ss wrote:
On 15/03/2019 15:49, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

At what cost & mess though?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Demolition - and demolition is DIY related ARW UK diy 13 May 22nd 15 09:45 PM
Demolition breaker Tabby UK diy 6 December 5th 10 12:40 AM
Electric BBQ breaks GFI 20 Amp breaker yet works fine with non-GFI breaker. BoyntonStu Home Repair 10 May 26th 07 06:56 PM
A/C Unit Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker - How to test breaker before calling repair man? C5Ya Home Repair 10 August 26th 05 07:34 PM
Circuit breaker tester maps to wrong breaker!! Joe Doe Home Repair 7 November 30th 04 01:47 AM