Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Vaillant repair pricing

Very odd servicing options from Vaillant.

They do a fixed price repair for £311. This covers most parts, excluding
the expensive bits like the big circular heat exchanger and the
expansion vessel. (Why not the expansion vessel? It's not that
expensive, surely?)

Or for £312 they do 6 months cover from Domestic & General. This covers
any repairs needed during the 6 months, up to £1500 total, including the
initial repair.

It seems a no-brainer to go for the D&G option, then cancel after the 6
months. What am I missing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 14:06, GB wrote:
Very odd servicing options from Vaillant.

They do a fixed price repair for £311. This covers most parts, excluding
the expensive bits like the big circular heat exchanger and the
expansion vessel. (Why not the expansion vessel? It's not that
expensive, surely?)

Or for £312 they do 6 months cover from Domestic & General. This covers
any repairs needed during the 6 months, up to £1500 total, including the
initial repair.

It seems a no-brainer to go for the D&G option, then cancel after the 6
months.Â* What am I missing?

ISTM a key difference is that Vaillant's price is (patently) for a fault
you already have, D&G's price is for insurance which (as usual) doesn't
cover pre-existing faults.

I have no idea how (if at all) D&G enforce the exclusion.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 14:33, Robin wrote:
On 15/03/2019 14:06, GB wrote:
Very odd servicing options from Vaillant.

They do a fixed price repair for £311. This covers most parts,
excluding the expensive bits like the big circular heat exchanger and
the expansion vessel. (Why not the expansion vessel? It's not that
expensive, surely?)

Or for £312 they do 6 months cover from Domestic & General. This
covers any repairs needed during the 6 months, up to £1500 total,
including the initial repair.

It seems a no-brainer to go for the D&G option, then cancel after the
6 months.Â* What am I missing?

ISTM a key difference is that Vaillant's price is (patently) for a fault
you already have, D&G's price is for insurance which (as usual) doesn't
cover pre-existing faults.

I have no idea how (if at all) D&G enforce the exclusion.

talking to 'er indoors made me realise I may have misunderstood what is
meant when the Repair & Care plan has "If we can't fix your initial
fault, we'll refund any monies paid up until that point". I'd taken
that to mean "the first fault after you sign up for the cover". But I
agree it could mean "the fault that led you to sign up". If so, it
looks the better buy - but I'm underwhelmed by the absence of any
obvious way to see the detailed T&Cs.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/03/2019 14:06, GB wrote:
[...]

fault, we'll refund any monies paid up until that point".Â* I'd taken
that to mean "the first fault after you sign up for the cover".Â* But I
agree it could mean "the fault that led you to sign up".Â* If so, it
looks the better buy - but I'm underwhelmed by the absence of any
obvious way to see the detailed T&Cs.

Well, Vaillant certainly know there's a fault. They even know the fault
code. F61.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 14:06, GB wrote:
Very odd servicing options from Vaillant.

They do a fixed price repair for £311. This covers most parts,
excluding the expensive bits like the big circular heat exchanger
and the expansion vessel. (Why not the expansion vessel? It's not
that expensive, surely?)

Or for £312 they do 6 months cover from Domestic & General. This
covers any repairs needed during the 6 months, up to £1500 total,
including the initial repair.

It seems a no-brainer to go for the D&G option, then cancel after
the 6 months.Â* What am I missing?

ISTM a key difference is that Vaillant's price is (patently) for a
fault you already have, D&G's price is for insurance which (as usual)
doesn't cover pre-existing faults.

I have no idea how (if at all) D&G enforce the exclusion.

talking to 'er indoors made me realise I may have misunderstood what
is meant when the Repair & Care plan has "If we can't fix your initial
fault, we'll refund any monies paid up until that point".Â* I'd taken
that to mean "the first fault after you sign up for the cover".Â* But I
agree it could mean "the fault that led you to sign up".Â* If so, it
looks the better buy - but I'm underwhelmed by the absence of any
obvious way to see the detailed T&Cs.

Well, Vaillant certainly know there's a fault. They even know the fault
code. F61.

Then I can only think of inertia: Repair & Care requires a direct debit
and if it also requires positive action to cancel it...

I'd still want to see the T&Cs but that's just me.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 14:06, GB wrote:

It seems a no-brainer to go for the D&G option, then cancel after the
6 months.Â* What am I missing?

ISTM a key difference is that Vaillant's price is (patently) for a fault
you already have, D&G's price is for insurance which (as usual) doesn't
cover pre-existing faults.

I have no idea how (if at all) D&G enforce the exclusion.

For me it was explained by Valliant as their price was single fault fix
including all spares except main heat exchanger whereas D&G was 6 months
cover all parts including main heat exchanger.
As my boiler was about 16 years old and primary H/E was a possible
culprit I went D&G they replaced almost everything except fan and
circuit board. Had a new pump, diverter valve, primary and DHW Heat
exchangers, insualtion, and a good 12 hours or more man hours due to
bits not fitting etc.

Got a renewal letter just before the 6 months was up with a renewal
premium which would go up to £50 a month. Obviously I declined and
cancelled the D.D.

It really is a no-brainer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, Vaillant certainly know there's a fault. They even know the fault
code. F61.

I've just had an ecoTEC plus 832 installed and the engineer was tame
enough to leave me the installation manual.

F.61 Fault: Fuel valve actuation | The gas valve assembly cannot be
actuated | Check: Cable harness, plug, gas valve assembly (rinse),
PCB.

Apparently I have a seven year warrenty as long as I have it serviced
annually. I havn't read, ot even seen the T&Cs yet.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. expressed precisely :
I've just had an ecoTEC plus 832 installed and the engineer was tame
enough to leave me the installation manual.

The installation, service and the user manuals are on the Vaillant site
free to download.

Pricing for finishing only. Bay Area Dave Woodworking 55 March 12th 04 07:54 PM
Shopsmith pricing GRL Woodworking 32 February 29th 04 03:59 PM
Supernova chuck pricing? ghayward Woodturning 6 January 26th 04 12:36 PM
HF Catalog vs Store Pricing Ben Woodworking 7 October 20th 03 09:09 PM
Cable - pricing up NorwichLad UK diy 3 July 25th 03 01:59 PM