DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Anyone ever speeded up a stairlift? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/632765-anyone-ever-speeded-up-stairlift.html)

Commander Kinsey March 14th 19 11:12 PM

Anyone ever speeded up a stairlift?

I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their stairlift to get there quicker. For goodness sake, they're either trying to answer the door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the thing runs at less than half a mile an hour. Are they powered by hamsters or something?

alan_m March 14th 19 11:24 PM

On 14/03/2019 22:12, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their stairlift
to get there quicker.* For goodness sake, they're either trying to
answer the door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the
thing runs at less than half a mile an hour.* Are they powered by
hamsters or something?

Youtube always has the answers
https://youtu.be/wK30R1gsgGk?t=92

Peeler[_3_] March 14th 19 11:45 PM

CAUTION!!! Birdbrain, the Abnormal Pathological Attention Whore, Strikes, AGAIN!

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 22:12:22 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson",
"Steven ******","Bruce Farquar", "Fred Johnson, etc.), the pathological
resident idiot and attention whore of all the uk ngs, blathered again:

FLUSH the sociopathic attention whore's latest idiotic, attention-baiting,
sick bull**** unread again

--
about Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL)
trolling:

--
ItsJoanNotJoann addressing Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"You're an annoying troll and I'm done with you and your

--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...

--
Phil Lee adressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are too stupid to be wasting oxygen."

--
Phil Lee describing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I've never seen such misplaced pride in being a ****ing moronic motorist."

--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the **** poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"

--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson Sword" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how

--
asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"

--
Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "James
Wilkinson" LOL):

--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable

--
Richard to pathetic ****** Hucker:
"You haven't bred?

--
about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a ******** with no hot

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to

--
Lewis about nym-shifting Birdbrain:
"Typical narcissist troll, thinks his **** is so grand he has the right to

Peeler[_3_] March 14th 19 11:48 PM

Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 22:23:35 +0000, Tim Streater, another mentally
challenged, troll-feeding, senile idiot, driveled:

Why not contact Alton Towers? I understand they have some experience in
that department.

WHAT? And stop baiting all you senile idiots here? Just think of it: you
senile idiots would have no occasion to suck him off, if he stopped setting
out endless baits for you simpletons! G

Peeler[_3_] March 14th 19 11:52 PM

Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 22:24:42 +0000, anal_m, the notorious troll-feeding
senile idiot, blathered:

Youtube always has the answers
https://youtu.be/wK30R1gsgGk?t=92

YouTube can't suck him off. But you senile troll-feeding idiot's can! BG

Commander Kinsey March 14th 19 11:55 PM

Anyone ever speeded up a stairlift?

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 22:23:35 -0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Commander Kinsey
wrote:

I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their stairlift to
get there quicker. For goodness sake, they're either trying to answer the
door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the thing runs at less
than half a mile an hour. Are they powered by hamsters or something?

Why not contact Alton Towers? I understand they have some experience in
that department.

:-)

Commander Kinsey March 14th 19 11:57 PM

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 22:24:42 -0000, alan_m wrote:

On 14/03/2019 22:12, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their stairlift
to get there quicker. For goodness sake, they're either trying to
answer the door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the
thing runs at less than half a mile an hour. Are they powered by
hamsters or something?

Youtube always has the answers
https://youtu.be/wK30R1gsgGk?t=92

Ah, one of my favourite films :-)
Not that I have an evil streak or anything ;-)

Fredxx[_3_] March 15th 19 12:07 AM

On 14/03/2019 22:57, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 22:24:42 -0000, alan_m wrote:

On 14/03/2019 22:12, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their stairlift
to get there quicker.* For goodness sake, they're either trying to
answer the door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the
thing runs at less than half a mile an hour.* Are they powered by
hamsters or something?

Youtube always has the answers
https://youtu.be/wK30R1gsgGk?t=92

Ah, one of my favourite films :-)
Not that I have an evil streak or anything ;-)

Are you 10 years old?

Or just that level of maturity?

Dean Hoffman[_12_] March 15th 19 12:12 AM

wrote:

On 14/03/2019 22:12, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their
stairlift
to get there quicker.* For goodness sake, they're either trying to
answer the door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the
thing runs at less than half a mile an hour.* Are they powered by
hamsters or something?

Youtube always has the answers
https://youtu.be/wK30R1gsgGk?t=92

Ah, one of my favourite films :-)
Not that I have an evil streak or anything ;-)

Are you 10 years old?

Or just that level of maturity?

The only difference between men and boys is the price of our toys.
Me included.

Mathew Newton[_2_] March 15th 19 12:16 AM

On Thursday, 14 March 2019 22:24:45 UTC, alan_m wrote:

Youtube always has the answers
https://youtu.be/wK30R1gsgGk?t=92

I thought you were going to link to this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECkpAb0QfIw

:-)

Commander Kinsey March 15th 19 12:21 AM

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 23:07:58 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 14/03/2019 22:57, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 22:24:42 -0000, alan_m wrote:

On 14/03/2019 22:12, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their stairlift
to get there quicker. For goodness sake, they're either trying to
answer the door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the
thing runs at less than half a mile an hour. Are they powered by
hamsters or something?

Youtube always has the answers
https://youtu.be/wK30R1gsgGk?t=92

Ah, one of my favourite films :-)
Not that I have an evil streak or anything ;-)

Are you 10 years old?

Or just that level of maturity?

Actually it was a genuine question. I know several old people and they all get fed up of waiting a few minutes to get to the top or bottom of the stairs, when someone's knocked on the door and will have left by the time they get there, or they need to get to the toilet urgently, and wet themselves before they arrive. The current models of stairlifts are absolutely pitiful. I'm not asking for them to go at absurd speeds, perhaps just the speed a person would walk? Every one I've seen is more the speed a baby would crawl.

Commander Kinsey March 15th 19 12:21 AM

wrote:

On 14/03/2019 22:12, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their
stairlift
to get there quicker. For goodness sake, they're either trying to
answer the door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the
thing runs at less than half a mile an hour. Are they powered by
hamsters or something?

Youtube always has the answers
https://youtu.be/wK30R1gsgGk?t=92

Ah, one of my favourite films :-)
Not that I have an evil streak or anything ;-)

Are you 10 years old?

Or just that level of maturity?

The only difference between men and boys is the price of our toys.
Me included.

Indeed, anyone who "grows up" is a boring old fart.

Grumpy Old White Guy[_3_] March 15th 19 01:30 AM

Anyone ever speeded up a stairlift?

I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their stairlift to get there quicker.* For goodness sake, they're either trying to answer the door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the thing runs at less than half a mile an
hour.* Are they powered by hamsters or something?

Most have a DC motor and 12 volt SLA battery under the seat. Prolly not legal or safe but you could put an 18 or 24 volt battery pack in, upgrade the charger and hang on.

--
Get off my lawn!

Commander Kinsey March 15th 19 01:51 AM

Legal? Who's going to inspect it? No MOTs on a stairlift. **** THE LAW!

[email protected] March 15th 19 02:43 AM

Anyone ever speeded up a stairlift?

On Friday, 15 March 2019 00:30:29 UTC, Grumpy Old White Guy wrote:

I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their stairlift to get there quicker.Â* For goodness sake, they're either trying to answer the door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the thing runs at less than half a mile an
hour.Â* Are they powered by hamsters or something?

Most have a DC motor and 12 volt SLA battery under the seat. Prolly not legal or safe but you could put an 18 or 24 volt battery pack in, upgrade the charger and hang on.

Reckon you'd have to feed them 240v to get a sensible speed going. You'd need a much more powerful motor. Those cheap hoists go a sensible speed but are very noisy.

NT

micky March 15th 19 08:36 AM

Anyone ever speeded up a stairlift?

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 14 Mar 2019 22:12:22 -0000, "Commander
Kinsey" wrote:

I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their stairlift to get there quicker. For goodness sake, they're either trying to answer the door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the thing runs at less than half a mile an hour. Are they powered by hamsters or something?

I think the Binford 9x replacement stairlift motor does a good job.
It's 300 amps with a torque of 400 foot-pounds and can lift a 500 pound
man up one flight of stairs in 30 seconds or a 200 pound man in 8
seconds.

You should probably also get the Binford 300 stairlift hydraulic brake,
since it goes so fast you don't want to stop suddently.

Peeler[_3_] March 15th 19 09:44 AM

Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 20:30:26 -0400, Grumpy Old White Guy, another mentally
deficient, troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

Most have a DC motor and 12 volt SLA battery under the seat. Prolly not
legal or safe but you could put an 18 or 24 volt battery pack in, upgrade
the charger and hang on.

....and another troll-feeding senile idiot appeared who couldn't resist
taking the abnormal Scottish attention whore's latest idiotic bait! LOL

Peeler[_3_] March 15th 19 09:46 AM

Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 09:36:59 +0200, micky, another brain damaged,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered again:

I think

No, you don't, you stupid, troll-feeding ****!

Brian Gaff March 15th 19 10:06 AM

Anyone ever speeded up a stairlift?

Actually when I asked this question of an installer he said that they are
built to be safe, not rapid, and if they ran faster and jammed then the jolt
may be very dangerous for the occupant.

That to me sounded a bit like 'cos they always are made this way, I only
fit them guv, nothing to do with me'
Still there may be some merit in the plan, unless you really want to wear a
crash helmet, neck brace and a three point harness to use one.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
.. .
wrote:

I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their stairlift
get there quicker. For goodness sake, they're either trying to answer the
door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the thing runs at
less
than half a mile an hour. Are they powered by hamsters or something?

Why not contact Alton Towers? I understand they have some experience in
that department.

--
What power have you got?
Where did you get it from?

Tony Benn

Commander Kinsey March 15th 19 01:53 PM

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 01:43:28 -0000, wrote:

On Friday, 15 March 2019 00:30:29 UTC, Grumpy Old White Guy wrote:

I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their stairlift to get there quicker. For goodness sake, they're either trying to answer the door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the thing runs at less than half a mile an
hour. Are they powered by hamsters or something?

Most have a DC motor and 12 volt SLA battery under the seat. Prolly not legal or safe but you could put an 18 or 24 volt battery pack in, upgrade the charger and hang on.

Reckon you'd have to feed them 240v to get a sensible speed going. You'd need a much more powerful motor. Those cheap hoists go a sensible speed but are very noisy.

It's not sensible. Old people don't need to go slower than walking speed when they're sat in a chair (which has a seatbelt). Imagine they're desperate for the loo, or want to answer the door to the postman before he goes away.

Jac Brown March 15th 19 02:55 PM

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
[...]

Easily fixed with a **** bottle.

or want to answer the door to the postman before he goes away.

Easily fixed with a notice beside the doorbell etc.

Jac Brown March 15th 19 02:59 PM

Anyone ever speeded up a stairlift?

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message

They have a seatbelt, perfectly adequate for a sudden stop from walking
speed.

But impossible to guarantee that it will be worn.
And it looks bad if you kill too many people.

So why should they go a quarter walking speed?

Likely because it isnt cheap to go much faster safely.

Peeler[_3_] March 15th 19 06:09 PM

00:59 am in Australia ...and the Forsaken Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll is already up and Trolling AGAIN! LMAO

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 00:59:03 +1100, Jac Brown, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

FLUSH troll****

00:59 am in Australia, and you are already up again? Man, you are even
sicker than the filthy Scottish attention whore you keep sucking off! BG

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Peeler[_3_] March 15th 19 06:12 PM

00:55 am in Australia!!! ...and the Forsaken Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll is already up and Trolling AGAIN! LMAO

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 00:55:04 +1100, Jac Brown, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

Easily fixed with a **** bottle.

or want to answer the door to the postman before he goes away.

Easily fixed with a notice beside the doorbell etc.

There seems to be no easy fix for you needing to get up EVERY DAY between
MIDNIGHT and FOUR o'clock am, just so you won't miss anything going on on
these groups, you abnormal senile pest! G

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."

Commander Kinsey March 15th 19 07:15 PM

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 18:08:37 -0000, Andy wrote:

On Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 5:12:23 PM UTC-5, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their stairlift to get there quicker. For goodness sake, they're either trying to answer the door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the thing runs at less than half a mile an hour. Are they powered by hamsters or something?

They are not that slow. Stop your complaining.

Yes they are, they're even slower than the equivalent of somebody walking up a flight of stairs one step at a time, one foot at a time, as in both feet on every step. That's ludicrously slow for an infirm person trying to answer the door or a call of nature. They have seatbelts, they could go at least walking speed!

Commander Kinsey March 15th 19 07:49 PM

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:47:11 -0000, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:

I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their stairlift to get there quicker. For goodness sake, they're either trying to answer the door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the thing runs at less than half a mile an hour. Are they powered by hamsters or something?

Wot? Are you askin' if yer brain is hampster-powered?

Can you not read English?

% March 15th 19 07:59 PM

On 2019-03-15 11:49 a.m., Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:47:11 -0000, Colonel Edmund J. Burke

I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their
stairlift to get there quicker.* For goodness sake, they're either
trying to answer the door, or get to the loo before they wet
themselves, and the thing runs at less than half a mile an hour.* Are
they powered by hamsters or something?

Wot?* Are you askin' if yer brain is hampster-powered?

Can you not read English?

i say rev the stairs up to 60 mph ,
and fling them right across the room at the top ,
or on the down side you can slam them right through the floor