Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default led floodlight

I'm after a recommendation for a LED floodlight with inbuilt PIR BUT
with the additional override function - the type where the mains supply
to the light can be turned on-off-on within a short period so the the
light remains on until the mains is again turned off.

Friends have purchased two lights hoping they had this function but have
found that there is no override of the PIR timing function. 10W or 20W
will meet the requirement to light a maximum 10m area. Light pollion
for neighbours and passing planes will not be problem,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 20:01:49 +0000, alan_m wrote:

I'm after a recommendation for a LED floodlight with inbuilt PIR BUT
with the additional override function - the type where the mains supply
to the light can be turned on-off-on within a short period so the the
light remains on until the mains is again turned off.

Friends have purchased two lights hoping they had this function but have
found that there is no override of the PIR timing function. 10W or 20W
will meet the requirement to light a maximum 10m area. Light pollion
for neighbours and passing planes will not be problem,

For mine I fitted a 2-gang plate, 1 switch for the PIR and 1 for direct-on.
Rand 3+E, with 1 wire to the lamp.
This gives me a local Off switch, but it could be done with a single 2-way
switch, one way via PIR and the other to the lamp. Needs another way of
fully off.
Note: my PIRs are seperate from the luminaires.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2019 22:00, PeterC wrote:

For mine I fitted a 2-gang plate, 1 switch for the PIR and 1 for direct-on.
Rand 3+E, with 1 wire to the lamp.
This gives me a local Off switch, but it could be done with a single 2-way
switch, one way via PIR and the other to the lamp. Needs another way of
fully off.
Note: my PIRs are seperate from the luminaires.

Not an ideal solution. This will be going into a freinds' rented
property where and changes to the electrics cannot be DIY. Changing the
external 500W halogen floodlight for a "like for like" 10/20W using the
existing wiring and external junction box may not be noticed

The problem with some LED/PIR units advertised with a manual override is
that the manual override consists of setting the timer control to
maximum making it a simple on/off operation by applying/removing the
mains voltage. What is required is a normal PIR operation that is easily
overridden sometimes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2019 22:15, alan_m wrote:
[...]

I recently fitted one of these.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTUSF10MCW.html

Too soon for feedback on performance in practice but I was impressed by
the range of adjustments and by the way wireless remote worked from
inside the house (which allows manual override).

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 14 March 2019 22:54:24 UTC, Robin wrote:

I recently fitted one of these.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTUSF10MCW.html

Too soon for feedback on performance in practice but I was impressed by
the range of adjustments and by the way wireless remote worked from
inside the house (which allows manual override).

Hi Robin,

I recently bought one of these (warm white instead of cool) however my remote needs pointing directly at the front of the light to operate it... It certainly wouldn't work from inside the house (yet I'd like it to!).

It sounds like your remote might a radio one? Mine definitely has an IR LED on the top of it. Here are some pics of my box and remote (labelled JIR2458) - is it the same as yours?

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/tlcledlightbox.jpg
http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent...ightremote.jpg

It is only reading Alan's original post that has made me realise that without a remote that can function from inside I too won't have a manual override!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2019 22:15, alan_m wrote:
On 14/03/2019 22:00, PeterC wrote:

For mine I fitted a 2-gang plate, 1 switch for the PIR and 1 for
direct-on.
Rand 3+E, with 1 wire to the lamp.
This gives me a local Off switch, but it could be done with a single
2-way
switch, one way via PIR and the other to the lamp. Needs another way of
fully off.
Note: my PIRs are seperate from the luminaires.

Not an ideal solution. This will be going into a freinds' rented
property where and changes to the electrics cannot be DIY.

You are not making a new circuit, and even covering the same path as the
old cable. You are allowed to 'extend' circuits in your own home, or as
far as I know even a rented one.

I have often wondered if between tenants, as an owner occupier, you
could carry out work that would normally need a certificate!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message
[...]

Wireless remotes arent a great idea with a rental property.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 01:23, Rod Speed wrote:

Too soon for feedback on performance in practice but I was impressed
by the range of adjustments and by the way wireless remote worked from
inside the house (which allows manual override).

Wireless remotes arent a great idea with a rental property.

I didn't realise that the remotes were intelligent enough to identify
which kind of property they are being used in.

In this case it is intended to be a long term rental (many yaers) with
intelligent users.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 March 2019 08:33:02 UTC, alan_m wrote:

I didn't realise that the remotes were intelligent enough to identify
which kind of property they are being used in.

Quite a few products do have that feature. It's why things that rarely fail in your home seem to suffer from all sorts of problems when installed into somewhere you are renting out... ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 12:23:40 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Too soon for feedback on performance in practice but I was impressed by
the range of adjustments and by the way wireless remote worked from inside
the house (which allows manual override).

Wireless remotes arent a great idea with a rental property.

If someone wanted your opinion they would have rattled your cage, senile
bigmouth! tsk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2019 23:13, Mathew Newton wrote:
[...]

D'oh!

a. that is the same (save for the colour temp.)

b. I'm ashamed to say I didn't look at the remote, just misread the
specs. ("microwave sensor and remote control")

c. the remote does work from inside the house *but* only because the
sensor is in line of sight of the window over the drawer under where the
remote is stowed. It's a window with no fancy coatings on the glass
though, so even that's not guaranteed.

Move over Homer, there's a new chump on the block.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 March 2019 08:57:33 UTC, Robin wrote:

c. the remote does work from inside the house *but* only because the
sensor is in line of sight of the window over the drawer under where the
remote is stowed. It's a window with no fancy coatings on the glass
though, so even that's not guaranteed.

Ah, yes, that'll be the difference. Mine's not visible through the window so for me the remote is unfortunately more of a change-the-settings-without-a-ladder feature. All that said, it seems a decent enough light and comes with a 3yr warranty for some reassurance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Too soon for feedback on performance in practice but I was impressed
by the range of adjustments and by the way wireless remote worked from
inside the house (which allows manual override).

Wireless remotes arent a great idea with a rental property.

I didn't realise that the remotes were intelligent enough
to identify which kind of property they are being used in.

Pathetic.

In this case it is intended to be a long term
rental (many yaers) with intelligent users.

Intended isnt the same thing as what actually happens.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 09:04, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Friday, 15 March 2019 08:57:33 UTC, Robin wrote:

c. the remote does work from inside the house *but* only because the
sensor is in line of sight of the window over the drawer under where the
remote is stowed. It's a window with no fancy coatings on the glass
though, so even that's not guaranteed.

Ah, yes, that'll be the difference. Mine's not visible through the window so for me the remote is unfortunately more of a change-the-settings-without-a-ladder feature. All that said, it seems a decent enough light and comes with a 3yr warranty for some reassurance.

Sounds like a job for an off-axis parabolic mirror

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 20:22:30 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I didn't realise that the remotes were intelligent enough
to identify which kind of property they are being used in.

Pathetic.

Your idiotic trolling most certainly is.

In this case it is intended to be a long term
rental (many yaers) with intelligent users.

Intended isnt the same thing as what actually happens.

See above, idiot troll!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 09:22, Rod Speed wrote:

In this case it is intended to be a long term rental (many yaers) with
intelligent users.

Intended isnt the same thing as what actually happens.

What ever the length of the rental the floodlight will not be taken down
and the remotes left as problem for the next tenant.

However, what is the problem with wireless remotes that make them
unsuitable for rented property that isn't also a problem for any other
domestic property owned in a different way?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m Wrote in message:
On 15/03/2019 01:23, Rod Speed wrote:

Too soon for feedback on performance in practice but I was impressed
by the range of adjustments and by the way wireless remote worked from
inside the house (which allows manual override).

Wireless remotes arent a great idea with a rental property.

I didn't realise that the remotes were intelligent enough to identify
which kind of property they are being used in.

In this case it is intended to be a long term rental (many yaers) with
intelligent users.

You can buy extra remotes in that link...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Too soon for feedback on performance in practice but I was impressed
by the range of adjustments and by the way wireless remote worked from
inside the house (which allows manual override).

Wireless remotes arent a great idea with a rental property.

I didn't realise that the remotes were intelligent enough
to identify which kind of property they are being used in.

Pathetic.

From the master himself! :-D:-D

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

In this case it is intended to be a long term
rental (many yaers) with intelligent users.

Intended isnt the same thing as what actually happens.

What ever the length of the rental the floodlight will not be
taken down and the remotes left as problem for the next tenant.

The problem with rentals and remotes is that its
easy for the tenant to take the remote with their
other remotes when they leave and with something
like a flood with a unique remote, you may well
not be able to get another remote.

However, what is the problem with wireless remotes that make
them unsuitable for rented property that isn't also a problem
for any other domestic property owned in a different way?

See above.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 15/03/2019 01:23, Rod Speed wrote:

Too soon for feedback on performance in practice but I was impressed
by the range of adjustments and by the way wireless remote worked from
inside the house (which allows manual override).

Wireless remotes arent a great idea with a rental property.

I didn't realise that the remotes were intelligent enough to identify
which kind of property they are being used in.

In this case it is intended to be a long term rental (many yaers) with
intelligent users.

You can buy extra remotes in that link...

You can now, but for how long ?

The place we rent out has a fancy combined light fan and heat bulb
thing with just a remote, no physical switches at all in each of the
two bathrooms. The manufacturer is still around, but no longer
does those with remotes and doesn't supply remotes anymore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 15/03/2019 01:23, Rod Speed wrote:

Too soon for feedback on performance in practice but I was impressed
by the range of adjustments and by the way wireless remote worked from
inside the house (which allows manual override).

Wireless remotes arent a great idea with a rental property.

I didn't realise that the remotes were intelligent enough to identify
which kind of property they are being used in.

In this case it is intended to be a long term rental (many yaers) with
intelligent users.

You can buy extra remotes in that link...

You can now, but for how long ?

So buy one now, stupid.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 01:54 am in Australia!!! ...and the Forsaken Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll is already up and Trolling AGAIN! LMAO

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 01:53:09 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

See above.

You mean the time stamp of your troll, you abnormal senile creep? BG

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
alan_m Wrote in message:
On 15/03/2019 01:23, Rod Speed wrote:

Too soon for feedback on performance in practice but I was impressed
by the range of adjustments and by the way wireless remote worked
from
inside the house (which allows manual override).

Wireless remotes arent a great idea with a rental property.

I didn't realise that the remotes were intelligent enough to identify
which kind of property they are being used in.

In this case it is intended to be a long term rental (many yaers) with
intelligent users.

You can buy extra remotes in that link...

You can now, but for how long ?

So buy one now, stupid.

Fat lot of good that does when they both get removed by different tenants,
stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 05:10:23 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

So buy one now, stupid.

Fat lot of good that does when they both get removed by different tenants,
stupid.

Does it, stupid?

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...

Buy more than one then, ****wit.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
alan_m Wrote in message:
[...]

Have fun calculating how many you will need, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 10:35:12 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Buy more than one then, ****wit.

Have fun calculating how many you will need, ****wit.

People obviously KEEP having fun exposing your stupidity, time and again,
you senile abnormal psychopathic cretin!

--
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rot Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
alan_m Wrote in message:
[...]

Estimated life span of light /
Estimated number of tenant changes
= Number of remotes to buy

You really are a numb **** aren't you?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2019 08:52, Jim K.. wrote:

Estimated life span of light /
Estimated number of tenant changes
= Number of remotes to buy

You really are a numb **** aren't you?

The landlord is not buying the item! No need to consider future tenants
as if my friends leave within a short period it will be on bad terms
with the landlord (very unlikely) and it will be the landlords problem
to sort out. However this item would not be removed and the remote would
be left is the property was vacated.

Its very much like all the things that were sorted out and continue to
be sorted since that previous (long term) tenants left.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m Wrote in message:
On 16/03/2019 08:52, Jim K.. wrote:

Estimated life span of light /
Estimated number of tenant changes
= Number of remotes to buy

You really are a numb **** aren't you?

The landlord is not buying the item!

So by "not noticed" you meant not noticed by the landlord?

Tell woddles ;-)

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
alan_m Wrote in message:
[...]

Have fun producing viable numbers for those.

= Number of remotes to buy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote

The landlord is not buying the item! No need to consider future
tenants as if my friends leave within a short period it will be on
bad terms with the landlord (very unlikely) and it will be the
landlords problem to sort out. However this item would not be
removed and the remote would be left is the property was vacated.

In theory. In practice it isnt hard for the remote to go missing
as the tenant leaves and takes what they believe are the
remotes for everything like TVs and PVRs etc with them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
alan_m Wrote in message:
[...]

I already have, ****wit.

Read alan_m 's reply yet then?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
alan_m Wrote in message:
[...]

Lying thru your ****ing teeth, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
alan_m Wrote in message:
[...]

Auto-contradicting out your arse as always... :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
alan_m Wrote in message:
[...]

You never could bull**** and lie your way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 04:47:53 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

In theory. In practice it isnt hard for the remote to go missing
as the tenant leaves and takes what they believe are the
remotes for everything like TVs and PVRs etc with them.

You forget, senile Rot: MOST people are NOT psychopathic idiots like you!

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 06:18:27 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Not at all, but exposing you for the ****wit that you are, senile ****wit!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed: