Old March 15th 19, 08:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default led floodlight

On 14/03/2019 23:13, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Thursday, 14 March 2019 22:54:24 UTC, Robin wrote:

I recently fitted one of these.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTUSF10MCW.html

Too soon for feedback on performance in practice but I was impressed by
the range of adjustments and by the way wireless remote worked from
inside the house (which allows manual override).

Hi Robin,

I recently bought one of these (warm white instead of cool) however my remote needs pointing directly at the front of the light to operate it... It certainly wouldn't work from inside the house (yet I'd like it to!).

It sounds like your remote might a radio one? Mine definitely has an IR LED on the top of it. Here are some pics of my box and remote (labelled JIR2458) - is it the same as yours?

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/tlcledlightbox.jpg
http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent...ightremote.jpg

It is only reading Alan's original post that has made me realise that without a remote that can function from inside I too won't have a manual override!

D'oh!

a. that is the same (save for the colour temp.)

b. I'm ashamed to say I didn't look at the remote, just misread the
specs. ("microwave sensor and remote control")

c. the remote does work from inside the house *but* only because the
sensor is in line of sight of the window over the drawer under where the
remote is stowed. It's a window with no fancy coatings on the glass
though, so even that's not guaranteed.

Move over Homer, there's a new chump on the block.

--
Robin

Old March 15th 19, 09:00 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

PIR separate is the way to go. So many folk round here seem to have them
inbuilt and apparently many can follow the path of the local fox as it moves
from garden to garden. grin.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"PeterC" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 20:01:49 +0000, alan_m wrote:

I'm after a recommendation for a LED floodlight with inbuilt PIR BUT
with the additional override function - the type where the mains supply
to the light can be turned on-off-on within a short period so the the
light remains on until the mains is again turned off.

Friends have purchased two lights hoping they had this function but have
found that there is no override of the PIR timing function. 10W or 20W
will meet the requirement to light a maximum 10m area. Light pollion
for neighbours and passing planes will not be problem,

For mine I fitted a 2-gang plate, 1 switch for the PIR and 1 for
direct-on.
Rand 3+E, with 1 wire to the lamp.
This gives me a local Off switch, but it could be done with a single 2-way
switch, one way via PIR and the other to the lamp. Needs another way of
fully off.
Note: my PIRs are seperate from the luminaires.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Old March 15th 19, 09:04 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 March 2019 08:57:33 UTC, Robin wrote:

c. the remote does work from inside the house *but* only because the
sensor is in line of sight of the window over the drawer under where the
remote is stowed. It's a window with no fancy coatings on the glass
though, so even that's not guaranteed.

Ah, yes, that'll be the difference. Mine's not visible through the window so for me the remote is unfortunately more of a change-the-settings-without-a-ladder feature. All that said, it seems a decent enough light and comes with a 3yr warranty for some reassurance.
Old March 15th 19, 09:22 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Too soon for feedback on performance in practice but I was impressed
by the range of adjustments and by the way wireless remote worked from
inside the house (which allows manual override).

Wireless remotes arent a great idea with a rental property.

I didn't realise that the remotes were intelligent enough
to identify which kind of property they are being used in.

Pathetic.

In this case it is intended to be a long term
rental (many yaers) with intelligent users.

Intended isnt the same thing as what actually happens.
Old March 15th 19, 09:23 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 09:04, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Friday, 15 March 2019 08:57:33 UTC, Robin wrote:

c. the remote does work from inside the house *but* only because the
sensor is in line of sight of the window over the drawer under where the
remote is stowed. It's a window with no fancy coatings on the glass
though, so even that's not guaranteed.

Ah, yes, that'll be the difference. Mine's not visible through the window so for me the remote is unfortunately more of a change-the-settings-without-a-ladder feature. All that said, it seems a decent enough light and comes with a 3yr warranty for some reassurance.

Sounds like a job for an off-axis parabolic mirror

--
Robin

Old March 15th 19, 09:49 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 20:22:30 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I didn't realise that the remotes were intelligent enough
to identify which kind of property they are being used in.

Pathetic.

Your idiotic trolling most certainly is.

In this case it is intended to be a long term
rental (many yaers) with intelligent users.

Intended isnt the same thing as what actually happens.

See above, idiot troll!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Old March 15th 19, 10:16 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 09:22, Rod Speed wrote:

In this case it is intended to be a long term rental (many yaers) with
intelligent users.

Intended isnt the same thing as what actually happens.

What ever the length of the rental the floodlight will not be taken down
and the remotes left as problem for the next tenant.

However, what is the problem with wireless remotes that make them
unsuitable for rented property that isn't also a problem for any other
domestic property owned in a different way?

Old March 15th 19, 12:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m Wrote in message:
On 15/03/2019 01:23, Rod Speed wrote:

Too soon for feedback on performance in practice but I was impressed
by the range of adjustments and by the way wireless remote worked from
inside the house (which allows manual override).

Wireless remotes arent a great idea with a rental property.

I didn't realise that the remotes were intelligent enough to identify
which kind of property they are being used in.

In this case it is intended to be a long term rental (many yaers) with
intelligent users.

You can buy extra remotes in that link...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old March 15th 19, 12:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Too soon for feedback on performance in practice but I was impressed
by the range of adjustments and by the way wireless remote worked from
inside the house (which allows manual override).

Wireless remotes arent a great idea with a rental property.

I didn't realise that the remotes were intelligent enough
to identify which kind of property they are being used in.

Pathetic.

From the master himself! :-D:-D

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old March 15th 19, 02:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

In this case it is intended to be a long term
rental (many yaers) with intelligent users.

Intended isnt the same thing as what actually happens.

What ever the length of the rental the floodlight will not be
taken down and the remotes left as problem for the next tenant.

The problem with rentals and remotes is that its
easy for the tenant to take the remote with their
other remotes when they leave and with something
like a flood with a unique remote, you may well
not be able to get another remote.

However, what is the problem with wireless remotes that make
them unsuitable for rented property that isn't also a problem
for any other domestic property owned in a different way?

See above.