DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Mixer tap spout removal (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/632734-mixer-tap-spout-removal.html)

Chris B[_2_] March 14th 19 01:21 PM

Mixer tap spout removal

I need to replace the O rings on a mixer tap. It has no grub screw
securing the spout so I understand that the spout needs to be in this
position.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3emhl7dja...25821.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/74ys6z557t...25812.jpg?dl=0

Is it always this direction or might it be over the other tap?

How critical is the position +/-5 degs or +/- 45 degs.

Any tips for determining when it is in the correct position?

And once in the correct position any tips for actually removing it? It
sort of "wobbles" but resists all attempts to pull it vertically.

Thanks.

--
Chris B (News)

Davey March 14th 19 03:47 PM

Mixer tap spout removal

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 13:21:57 +0000
Chris B wrote:

I need to replace the O rings on a mixer tap. It has no grub screw
securing the spout so I understand that the spout needs to be in this
position.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3emhl7dja...25821.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/74ys6z557t...25812.jpg?dl=0

Is it always this direction or might it be over the other tap?

How critical is the position +/-5 degs or +/- 45 degs.

Any tips for determining when it is in the correct position?

And once in the correct position any tips for actually removing it?
It sort of "wobbles" but resists all attempts to pull it vertically.

Thanks.

I shall watch this with interest, as I have the same problem. I didn't
know about the 'correct angle', though, it might of course be different
on my taps. If only I knew what brand the assembly is!

And mine had the remains of a metal collar under the external nut, its
removal has done nothing to improve or worsen the effect.

--
Davey.

Davey March 14th 19 04:57 PM

Mixer tap spout removal

Chris B wrote:

[...]

At the base of the spout is a deep chromed nut, through which the spout
protrudes. Undoing it exposes the point where the spout comes out of
the main part of the assembly, and provides access to the sealing
ring(s), if you can get it apart. Until the spout can be removed, this
nut is trapped on the spout.
It is a nut, and it is external.

--
Davey.

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] March 15th 19 08:54 AM

Mixer tap spout removal

Chris B was thinking very hard :
I need to replace the O rings on a mixer tap. It has no grub screw securing
the spout so I understand that the spout needs to be in this position.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3emhl7dja...25821.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/74ys6z557t...25812.jpg?dl=0

Is it always this direction or might it be over the other tap?

How critical is the position +/-5 degs or +/- 45 degs.

Any tips for determining when it is in the correct position?

And once in the correct position any tips for actually removing it? It sort
of "wobbles" but resists all attempts to pull it vertically.

Thanks.

On my two kitchen mixers, they both have a grub screw fixed in the main
body, which when screwed in, meet up with a groove in the spout. It is
rather awkward to access the grub-screws, because they face the wall.

Biggles[_3_] March 15th 19 11:30 AM

Mixer tap spout removal

Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Chris B was thinking very hard : I need to replace the O rings on a mixer tap. It has no grub screw securing the spout so I understand that the spout needs to be in this position. https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3emhl7djai0v5y/IMG_20190314_125821.jpg?dl=0 https://www.dropbox.com/s/74ys6z557ta3gse/IMG_20190314_125812.jpg?dl=0 Is it always this direction or might it be over the other tap? How critical is the position +/-5 degs or +/- 45 degs. Any tips for determining when it is in the correct position? And once in the correct position any tips for actually removing it? It sort of "wobbles" but resists all attempts to pull it vertically. Thanks.On my two kitchen mixers, they both have a grub screw fixed in the main body, which when screwed in, meet up with a groove in the spout. It is rather awkward to access the grub-screws, because they face the wall.

Mine is the same - I would double check for a grub screw before
attempting any other means if dismantling.
--
Biggles

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

ss March 15th 19 12:48 PM

Mixer tap spout removal

On 15/03/2019 11:30, Biggles wrote:
Mine is the same - I would double check for a grub screw before
attempting any other means if dismantling.

Same here and after removing the grub screw it was still difficult to
get off.

Mr Pounder Esquire March 15th 19 04:10 PM

Mixer tap spout removal

Chris B wrote:
I need to replace the O rings on a mixer tap. It has no grub screw
securing the spout so I understand that the spout needs to be in this
position.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3emhl7dja...25821.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/74ys6z557t...25812.jpg?dl=0

Is it always this direction or might it be over the other tap?

How critical is the position +/-5 degs or +/- 45 degs.

Any tips for determining when it is in the correct position?

And once in the correct position any tips for actually removing it? It
sort of "wobbles" but resists all attempts to pull it vertically.

Thanks.

I have just looked behind my kitchen spout.
Yes, there is a grub screw, it is tiny, very tiny and I would not know how
to remove it.

ss March 15th 19 04:40 PM

Mixer tap spout removal

On 15/03/2019 16:10, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I have just looked behind my kitchen spout.
Yes, there is a grub screw, it is tiny, very tiny and I would not know how
to remove it.

I recall using a very small allen key.

Dave W[_3_] March 16th 19 12:07 PM

Mixer tap spout removal

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 13:21:57 +0000, Chris B wrote:

I need to replace the O rings on a mixer tap. It has no grub screw
securing the spout so I understand that the spout needs to be in this
position.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3emhl7dja...25821.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/74ys6z557t...25812.jpg?dl=0

Is it always this direction or might it be over the other tap?

How critical is the position +/-5 degs or +/- 45 degs.

Any tips for determining when it is in the correct position?

And once in the correct position any tips for actually removing it? It
sort of "wobbles" but resists all attempts to pull it vertically.

Thanks.

It's prbably pre-internet. I can't find it there, nor the logo on the
tap top looking like an offset T inside an O. I take it you've already
tried rotating the spout while at the same time keeping it pulled up
until it finds its slot?
--
Dave W

DerbyBorn[_5_] March 16th 19 12:58 PM

Mixer tap spout removal

Use a mirror - or press your finger on the screw to get an imprint to see
if it is an allen key of screwdriver that is needed.

TMH March 16th 19 04:40 PM

Mixer tap spout removal

On 14/03/2019 16:07, Chris B wrote:
On 14/03/2019 15:47, Davey wrote:
On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 13:21:57 +0000
Chris B wrote:

I need to replace the O rings on a mixer tap.Â* It has no grub screw
securing the spout so I understand that the spout needs to be in this
position.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3emhl7dja...25821.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/74ys6z557t...25812.jpg?dl=0

Is it always this direction or might it be over the other tap?

How critical is the position +/-5 degs or +/- 45 degs.

Any tips for determining when it is in the correct position?

And once in the correct position any tips for actually removing it?
It sort of "wobbles" but resists all attempts to pull it vertically.

Thanks.

I shall watch this with interest, as I have the same problem. I didn't
know about the 'correct angle', though, it might of course be different
on my taps. If only I knew what brand the assembly is!

And mine had the remains of a metal collar under the external nut,

External nut?

Â*its
removal has done nothing to improve or worsen the effect.

Once in the last 14 years of handymanning I've come across a spout that
unscrews.
Rented property, spout kept leaking. Sink was in front of a windowsill,
so nothing to stop it turning 360 degrees.
Turned out the 8 year old little **** of a son played with it by
spinning it round.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Chris B[_2_] March 18th 19 03:00 PM

Mixer tap spout removal

On 16/03/2019 12:07, Dave W wrote:
[...]

Yes, tried that, I can feel some sort of a notch effect but nothing
100% positive. But (in answer to others) I am 95ish% positive that
there is no grub screw, of any sort. Slot Posi or hex.

--
Chris B (News)

Dave W[_3_] March 19th 19 08:59 PM

Mixer tap spout removal

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 15:00:09 +0000, Chris B wrote:

[...]

TMH said that he once had a spout which unscrewed when turned. You
can't do that because it's against the wall, so you would have to
completely remove the whole assembly to try it.
--
Dave W