Old March 14th 19, 11:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wireless switches for lights - recommendations?

We want to install some lighting in a summer house and it seems to us
that some sort of remote wireless switching would make sense as the
switches are going to be a *long* way from the lights and it will be
difficult to hide the wires.

There is a 'proper' mains supply already installed with a sub-CU with
6A breaker for the lighting. (With an RCD main switch). The lights we
want to control will probably mostly be 12 volt LEDs with a
transformer to supply them.

I did a quick Google Shopping look for 'wireless light switch' and
there seem to be a bewildering variety of them, how do I choose?

Are there standards such that different makes will interwork or is
that a faint hope? I'm quite happy to D-I-Y from quite low level
stuff if that makes sense from the price/function point of view. I
buy and build quite a lot of electronics stuff from Rapid Recall, CPC,
etc.

One set of lights will (probably) be operated by a fixed 'switch' on
the wall in the summer house but others might want more distant (50 to
100 metres maybe) operation with a plip type remote.

Any/all recommendations and ideas would be very welcome.

--
Chris Green
·

Old March 14th 19, 01:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , says...

[...]

My cheap [4 for 15] 13A plugin ones from Aldidl work but need
retraining after a powercut. And a neighbours system turns the lights on
2 or 3 times a year. Range over 10 metres through a window to an
aluminium greenhouse. They won't work if two receivers are close
together in a double socket, I don't know why.
Old March 14th 19, 02:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
[...]

I bought one years ago and it’s worked faultlessly ever since. It appears
to be a discontinued brand however so that’s not hugely helpful to you I
know. (“Home Easy”).

If I were buying again I’d go for one with kinetic switches (no batteries
needed) instead although I’ve never had to replace mine in the last 8 or so
years.

Something like this.

Wireless Lights Switch Kit,No Battery No Wires No Wi-Fi Required,150feet
Operating Range,Easy to Install,Remote Control Lights Ceiling Fans House
Lighting Lamps,Replace Wall Switch Can Mount Anywhere
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GPK3C..._YTMICb6B7X80H

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old March 14th 19, 03:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
One set of lights will (probably) be operated by a fixed 'switch' on
the wall in the summer house but others might want more distant (50 to
100 metres maybe) operation with a plip type remote.

I doubt most remotes would work over that distance.

--
*Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old March 14th 19, 04:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2019 11:51, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

The Quinetic ones are very good and can get 1 2 or 3 switches in a
standard wall plate. Sold by TLC and possibly others.
I tested one from the bottom of my garden to the road which is about 180
feet. They don't lose sync during power cuts.
Fairly easy to open up and modify say for momentary action such as
turning on the heating.

Bob

Old March 14th 19, 04:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
One set of lights will (probably) be operated by a fixed 'switch' on
the wall in the summer house but others might want more distant (50 to
100 metres maybe) operation with a plip type remote.

I doubt most remotes would work over that distance.

Our garage door opener remotes do, pretty reliably, and they presumably
use the same 433MHz sort of technology. I was just hoping/expecting
light switch remotes to be similar. This is outdoors, line of sight,
no obstructions.

--
Chris Green
·
Old March 14th 19, 07:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote

We want to install some lighting in a summer house and
it seems to us that some sort of remote wireless switching
would make sense as the switches are going to be a *long*
way from the lights and it will be difficult to hide the wires.

The obvious thing to use there is the Philips Hue system.

There is a 'proper' mains supply already installed with a sub-CU
with 6A breaker for the lighting. (With an RCD main switch).

That’s all you need with the Hue system.

The lights we want to control will probably mostly
be 12 volt LEDs with a transformer to supply them.

Makes more sense to use 240V bulbs and led strips now.

I did a quick Google Shopping look for 'wireless light switch' and
there seem to be a bewildering variety of them, how do I choose?

A system that does all you currently want to do and
what you might well want to do there in the future. And
which you can use in the rest of the house later as well.

Are there standards such that different makes will interwork

Zigbee is that.

or is that a faint hope?

Nope.

I'm quite happy to D-I-Y from quite low level stuff if
that makes sense from the price/function point of view.

It doesn’t with function anymore.

I buy and build quite a lot of electronics stuff from Rapid Recall, CPC,
etc.

One set of lights will (probably) be operated by a fixed 'switch' on
the wall in the summer house but others might want more distant
(50 to 100 metres maybe) operation with a plip type remote.

Hue is ideal for that situation, there is even an entirely mechanical
switch which doesn’t even us a battery which needs no wires at all
and which can be placed anywhere. It uses kinetic energy to send
a wifi signal to the base.

Any/all recommendations and ideas would be very welcome.

Hue is ideal for that situation. Not cheap tho and doesn’t currently
have any LED panels. Amazon periodically has well discounted
specials and you can use any of the european amazons too.
Don’t use amazon.com tho for any of the mains powered bulbs.

Old March 14th 19, 09:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 06:29:14 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

The obvious thing to use there is the Philips Hue system.

**** you and your Philips Hue system, you retarded piece of senile
troll****! LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Old March 14th 19, 10:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2019 11:51, Chris Green wrote:
We want to install some lighting in a summer house and it seems to us
that some sort of remote wireless switching would make sense as the
switches are going to be a *long* way from the lights and it will be
difficult to hide the wires.

Got some of these at work. Love them.
https://glstouch.co.uk/kinetic

Dunno about the distances you mention though.
Old March 14th 19, 11:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

"Long lifetime:About 3 years "

What happens after 3 years?