Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Micro switch, switch size.

This is the lock switch of a DW New World dishwasher.
When the door is closed it wont operate, I have identified the problem
being that the micro switch isnt being `switched on` due to either the
micro switch or the operating cam is worn.
If I can increase the size of the red switch (see image) or the cam then
it should be DIYable.
Any ideas on what I could use to increase the size of either, I do have
some epoxy stuff and also hot glue (gun), I reckon if I can add 1mm
would it be enough to sort it.

Any suggestions.

https://imgur.com/qoN4ygX

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 19:21:44 +0000
ss wrote:

Any ideas on what I could use to increase the size of either, I do
have some epoxy stuff and also hot glue (gun), I reckon if I can add
1mm would it be enough to sort it.

Any suggestions.

https://imgur.com/qoN4ygX

If you can get to the cam all the way around (I can't tell from the
photo whether the top is clear of obstruction) then a bit of brass strip
wrapped around it, soldered into a continuous band and with a solder
blob where you need the extra throw (pressed on _after_ soldering :-).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
This is the lock switch of a DW New World dishwasher.
When the door is closed it wont operate, I have identified the problem
being that the micro switch isnt being `switched on` due to either the
micro switch or the operating cam is worn.
If I can increase the size of the red switch (see image) or the cam then
it should be DIYable.
Any ideas on what I could use to increase the size of either, I do have
some epoxy stuff and also hot glue (gun), I reckon if I can add 1mm
would it be enough to sort it.

Any suggestions.

https://imgur.com/qoN4ygX

Hmm, Im sure you could bodge something but I would have thought that wear
should be pretty negligible on a component like this and its more likely
that the switch is faulty internally. Given that it looks like you can pop
the micro switch out by splaying the clawed prongs, Id be tempted to pull
it out and get a replacement.

Its very unlikely to be specially designed for that machine and getting an
identical replacement shouldnt be too difficult.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 12/03/2019 19:40, Tim+ wrote:
and its more likely
that the switch is faulty internally

No, when the door is in closed position I can press the red part of the
microswitch and the dishwasher programme will start, the cam is just not
pushing it down far enough.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 12 March 2019 19:21:51 UTC, ss wrote:
This is the lock switch of a DW New World dishwasher.
When the door is closed it wont operate, I have identified the problem
being that the micro switch isnt being `switched on` due to either the
micro switch or the operating cam is worn.
If I can increase the size of the red switch (see image) or the cam then
it should be DIYable.
Any ideas on what I could use to increase the size of either, I do have
some epoxy stuff and also hot glue (gun), I reckon if I can add 1mm
would it be enough to sort it.

Any suggestions.

https://imgur.com/qoN4ygX

bit of card. Sometimes a switch can be moved a little too. Fix card to the faulty part, the switch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
This is the lock switch of a DW New World dishwasher.
When the door is closed it wont operate, I have identified the problem
being that the micro switch isnt being `switched on` due to either the
micro switch or the operating cam is worn.
If I can increase the size of the red switch (see image) or the cam then
it should be DIYable.
Any ideas on what I could use to increase the size of either, I do have
some epoxy stuff and also hot glue (gun), I reckon if I can add 1mm would
it be enough to sort it.

Any suggestions.

Replace the cam. I can't see that anything added to either
of them will last for long. Sugru might with the cam.

https://imgur.com/qoN4ygX

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2019 19:43, ss wrote:
On 12/03/2019 19:40, Tim+ wrote:
and its more likely
that the switch is faulty internally

No, when the door is in closed position I can press the red part of the
microswitch and the dishwasher programme will start, the cam is just not
pushing it down far enough.

That could still be a fault in the switch though and a new one may not
need to be pushed down so far.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 12/03/2019 19:43, ss wrote:
On 12/03/2019 19:40, Tim+ wrote:
and its more likely
that the switch is faulty internally

No, when the door is in closed position I can press the red part of the
microswitch and the dishwasher programme will start, the cam is just not
pushing it down far enough.

That could still be a fault in the switch though and a new one may not
need to be pushed down so far.

Not very likely tho. Much more likely its a worn cam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
On 12/03/2019 19:40, Tim+ wrote:
and its more likely
that the switch is faulty internally

No, when the door is in closed position I can press the red part of the
microswitch and the dishwasher programme will start, the cam is just not
pushing it down far enough.

So why isnt it pushing it down far enough now? As I said, unless theres
obvious wear somewhere, the fault could lie in the switch (requiring more
movement to make it do its stuff).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2019 21:10, ss wrote:
On 12/03/2019 19:51, ss wrote:
On 12/03/2019 19:47, wrote:
bit of card. Sometimes a switch can be moved a little too. Fix card
to the faulty part, the switch.

That could work by taking the switch off and reseating with a piece of
card under it to raise it slightly, worth a try.

That appears to have worked, a couple of pieces of thick paper under the
microswitch. See image.

https://imgur.com/wPpPyjO

I would use a strip of plastic, say cut from an old credit card, rather
than paper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2019 19:43, ss wrote:
On 12/03/2019 19:40, Tim+ wrote:
and its more likely
that the switch is faulty internally

No, when the door is in closed position I can press the red part of the
microswitch and the dishwasher programme will start, the cam is just not
pushing it down far enough.

Has the switch just slid back due to wear or springiness of the white
receptacle becoming relaxed with age - there seems to be a gap on the
left hand front edge? Wedge a piece of plastic at the back to move the
whole switch forward.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 12/03/2019 22:18, dennis@home wrote:
I would use a strip of plastic, say cut from an old credit card, rather
than paper.

Yes I agree, I have put it back together with the paper but the paper
will probably compress after a while and then I will replace with a
strip of plastic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

This is the lock switch of a DW New World dishwasher.
When the door is closed it wont operate, I have identified the problem
being that the micro switch isnt being `switched on` due to either the
micro switch or the operating cam is worn.
If I can increase the size of the red switch (see image) or the cam then
it should be DIYable.
Any ideas on what I could use to increase the size of either, I do have
some epoxy stuff and also hot glue (gun), I reckon if I can add 1mm
would it be enough to sort it.

Any suggestions.

https://imgur.com/qoN4ygX

Unfortunately it is more likely to be wear on the internal contacts than
on the actuator, and it may soon fail completely. If they are not too
expensive it may be better to get a new switch.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 12/03/2019 23:48, Roger Hayter wrote:
Unfortunately it is more likely to be wear on the internal contacts than
on the actuator, and it may soon fail completely. If they are not too
expensive it may be better to get a new switch.

Yes no doubt something will fail eventually, it was in the house when we
moved in and I reckon its around 12 years old, a new one is due
according to management but not before I DIY it as much as possible.I
can probably get a new switch for around Β£15 if necessary.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

On 12/03/2019 23:48, Roger Hayter wrote:
Unfortunately it is more likely to be wear on the internal contacts than
on the actuator, and it may soon fail completely. If they are not too
expensive it may be better to get a new switch.

Yes no doubt something will fail eventually, it was in the house when we
moved in and I reckon its around 12 years old, a new one is due
according to management but not before I DIY it as much as possible.I
can probably get a new switch for around £15 if necessary.

If it's a standard type of microswitch it will be a tenth of that on
Radiospares or Ebay.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ was thinking very hard :
Its very unlikely to be specially designed for that machine and getting an
identical replacement shouldnt be too difficult.

Tim

It is a standard unit, can be had for a few pence. There will be a
model number on the switch, so easy to look up for a replacement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 13/03/2019 08:59, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
ss wrote :
Yes no doubt something will fail eventually, it was in the house when
we moved in and I reckon its around 12 years old, a new one is due
according to management but not before I DIY it as much as possible.I
can probably get a new switch for around £15 if necessary.

£1.50 tops..

Yes but for the micro switch but the complete lock mechanism I can get
for under £15 so would probably buy that if it fails again.
After closer inspection I think what has happened is that over time the
`axle` that the cam is on has bent slightly as there is a strong pull
with a spring on that part and thats what is causing the contact issue
between cam and micro switch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote :
Yes no doubt something will fail eventually, it was in the house when
we moved in and I reckon its around 12 years old, a new one is due
according to management but not before I DIY it as much as possible.I
can probably get a new switch for around £15 if necessary.

£1.50 tops..

Yes for the micro switch but the complete lock mechanism I can get for
under £15 so would probably buy that if it fails again.
After closer inspection I think what has happened is that over time the
`axle` that the cam is on has bent or worn slightly as there is a strong
pull with a spring on that part and thats what is causing the contact
issue between cam and micro switch. (see image)

https://imgur.com/rjnU8Mn
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote :
Yes no doubt something will fail eventually, it was in the house when
we moved in and I reckon its around 12 years old, a new one is due
according to management but not before I DIY it as much as possible.I
can probably get a new switch for around £15 if necessary.

£1.50 tops..

Yes for the micro switch but the complete lock mechanism I can get for
under £15 so would probably buy that if it fails again.
After closer inspection I think what has happened is that over time the
`axle` that the cam is on has bent or worn slightly as there is a strong
pull with a spring on that part and thats what is causing the contact
issue between cam and micro switch. (see image)

https://imgur.com/rjnU8Mn

I'd still try a new microswitch first. Their operating point does move
a lot as the contacts wear.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 12 March 2019 22:44:16 UTC, ss wrote:
On 12/03/2019 22:18, dennis@home wrote:

I would use a strip of plastic, say cut from an old credit card, rather
than paper.

Yes I agree, I have put it back together with the paper but the paper
will probably compress after a while and then I will replace with a
strip of plastic.

Card doesn't compress over time IME. Plastic is slippery & more prone to fall out, and not as easy to work with. Card is very handy for all sorts of little mechanical fixes.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2019 09:54, Roger Hayter wrote:
I'd still try a new microswitch first. Their operating point does move
a lot as the contacts wear.

No. it doesn't.

If you look at how they work, it is a matter of levers within the thing
whose actions are more about where the button sits on the arm and the
arm length than where the contact is

https://www.components.omron.com/web...tch/basic02-01

what wears, is not the contact, but the actual BUTTON.

--
€œIt is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong.€

ۥ Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 13 March 2019 13:12:15 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 13/03/2019 11:23, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 March 2019 22:44:16 UTC, ss wrote:
On 12/03/2019 22:18, dennis@home wrote:

I would use a strip of plastic, say cut from an old credit card,
rather than paper.

Yes I agree, I have put it back together with the paper but the
paper will probably compress after a while and then I will replace
with a strip of plastic.

Card doesn't compress over time IME. Plastic is slippery & more prone
to fall out, and not as easy to work with. Card is very handy for all
sorts of little mechanical fixes.

NT

Its a dishwasher, its likely to be damp.

If the electrical connections are damp, something has gone wrong. Card does have a bit of tolerance to damp. I wouldn't worry about it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 12 March 2019 22:44:16 UTC, ss wrote:
On 12/03/2019 22:18, dennis@home wrote:

I would use a strip of plastic, say cut from an old credit card, rather
than paper.

Yes I agree, I have put it back together with the paper but the paper
will probably compress after a while and then I will replace with a
strip of plastic.

Card doesn't compress over time IME. Plastic is slippery & more prone to
fall out,

Easy to add a little contact adhesive to stop that.

and not as easy to work with.

Even you should be able to manage to cut
up an old credit card or food container.

Card is very handy for all sorts of little mechanical fixes.

Plastic lasts much longer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 13/03/2019 09:54, Roger Hayter wrote:
I'd still try a new microswitch first. Their operating point does move
a lot as the contacts wear.

No. it doesn't.

If you look at how they work, it is a matter of levers within the thing
whose actions are more about where the button sits on the arm and the
arm length than where the contact is

https://www.components.omron.com/web...tch/basic02-01

what wears, is not the contact, but the actual BUTTON.

If the actuator has a mechanical advantage (which it does to a degree
dependent on the type of actuator) then wear at the contact will be
magnified by that advantage. I recently replaced a microswitch (with
one I had in stock since the early 1960s!) in the pressure switch in a
Saniflow macerator and found the nylon button had to be depressed to
nearly level with the case, while a new one moved about two mm. The
button wasn't visibly worn. So, n of 1, I disagree. You may be right
in other cases, my experience is limited. But contact wear or possibly
bending little metal parts was certainly the cause in my case, not
actuator wear.
--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2019 18:35, Roger Hayter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 13/03/2019 09:54, Roger Hayter wrote:
I'd still try a new microswitch first. Their operating point does move
a lot as the contacts wear.

No. it doesn't.

If you look at how they work, it is a matter of levers within the thing
whose actions are more about where the button sits on the arm and the
arm length than where the contact is

https://www.components.omron.com/web...tch/basic02-01

what wears, is not the contact, but the actual BUTTON.

If the actuator has a mechanical advantage (which it does to a degree
dependent on the type of actuator) then wear at the contact will be
magnified by that advantage.

You really havent a clue.

Bye

I recently replaced a microswitch (with
one I had in stock since the early 1960s!) in the pressure switch in a
Saniflow macerator and found the nylon button had to be depressed to
nearly level with the case, while a new one moved about two mm. The
button wasn't visibly worn. So, n of 1, I disagree. You may be right
in other cases, my experience is limited. But contact wear or possibly
bending little metal parts was certainly the cause in my case, not
actuator wear.

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 07:31:51 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Not very likely tho. Much more likely it’s a worn cam.

I wonder why people don't simply ask YOU first when they start a thread.
Don't you wonder too, senile Mr Know-it-all?

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 04:20:46 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Card doesn't compress over time IME. Plastic is slippery & more prone to
fall out,

Easy to add

Difficult to make you shut your senile gob, senile Rot!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder

Micro switch question ss UK diy 18 January 10th 15 01:36 AM
PCB Micro drills and micro end mills" Ignoramus10035 Metalworking 11 September 27th 10 02:07 AM
Micro-Rel Badge - Micro-Rel-Badge.jpg Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 17 December 22nd 08 07:25 AM
Micro switch source Harold and Susan Vordos Metalworking 10 May 27th 06 09:18 AM
H-size & V-size on Philips Magnavox 9P5531 Projection Television SupraMan Electronics Repair 1 September 3rd 03 06:11 AM